9. JP Batista

8. Richie Frahm

7. Matt Bouldin

6. Ronny Turiaf

5. Casey Cavalry

4. Matt Santangelo

3. Blake Stepp

2. Dan Dickau
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_NwMmft2Mlzg/SczxF6teFjI/AAAAAAAAA1Y/Y09Isi2x0tY/s320/dickau_i.jpg

Why he’s here: DDD had an amazing two year run that kept GU on the map nationally for good. After the 99-00 season we had no idea what we had in Dickau. With Santangelo, Frahm, Nilson, Floyd etc. gone from the first two tourney runs, most people around the country figured we would go the way of Weber State, Davidson etc. We had a nice run, but our core graduated and it was time for Gonzaga to go back to being just another decent WCC team. Dickau and Cavalry wouldn’t let it happen. That’s as good a 1-2 punch we’ve ever had. Only Morrison and Batista are even in the conversation

I had season tickets to UW for Dickau’s two years there. He was what he was. Good shooter, limited defensively not really aggressive. I along with everyone else at the games clamored for him to be replaced by Senque Carey. When he transferred I wasn’t surprised and when he went to Gonzaga I figured it would be a decent fit. He’d get more shots and his defense wouldn’t be as much of a problem. He would be another Ryan Floyd. Then I heard from those in the know that he was the best player in practice during his redshirt year. Hyperbole? GU isn’t as good as we all thought? It turns out Dan Dickau was ready to take America by storm. He shot and hit from anywhere. He showed a playmaking side to his game that wasn’t evident at UW. His Junior year he scored 18.9 per game dished 6.3 assists and hit 48% from 3. (and he wasn’t the conference POY) Senior year he sacrificed his passing for a little more scoring. 21 ppg 4.7 apg and 45% from 3. Ridiculous. First team All America out of the WCC. After watching him at UW I would have literally bet any amount of money that he wouldn’t be all-conference let alone all-america.

He was almost always a big game player. Scored 25 in the 2001 WCC title game and was tourney MVP. Dropped 29 to beat Virginia in the tourney. Averaged 26.5 points in two early season wins against ranked opponents (Texas, Fresno State). The three to beat St Joe’s in Philly. DDD took and made big shots. An absolute stud

Bonus points for eliciting this quote from Zach Gourde in the Decade of Excellence, “Come across the mountains and you’ll find a group of guys with the same wants and same desires as you” (not that there’s anything wrong with that) That makes me laugh every time I hear it.

Why he’s not higher: 2 big reasons. First, he only played two years, I know there are some, who think a two year player should be higher than Santangelo, Cavalry, or Stepp, but those were two legendary years. If he played 4 years at GU he’s probably # 1 on this list. Second, his senior year squad went out with a wimper in the tourney. A 26 game win streak, top 10 ranking and then all the talk about getting the shaft from the committee and we laid an egg. I know all excuses with the altitude and all that, but that team should not have lost that game. Dickau should have willed that team to victory. But even with the way it ended the journey was amazing and he’s my #2

Ekrub
04-14-2010, 09:04 PM
Anyone want to take a bet on who is number one? I'll take Shawn Mallon

GUDan07
04-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Next one may be even less shocking than this one.

IrishEv211
04-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Gonna be Morrison

jimmy b
04-14-2010, 09:51 PM
the funniest quote on Decade regarding DDD is from coach Rice regarding the talk they had about what he wanted to do after college.

if you haven't seen the video - Dan said play in the NBA, which to Rice from a new transfer without great stats or promise shown at UW seemed way out there.

Just A Zag
04-14-2010, 10:31 PM
while morrison deserves the number 1 spot, I kinda wish a 4 year guy got the number 1 spot. But considering all that Adam did for exposure and Gonzaga it's fitting.

BobZag
04-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Well done, Vanilla.

FieldHouseFishHouse
04-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Gonna be Morrison

That is ridiculous. He only played 3 years and his NBA career is in shambles. It's got to be Pendo. ;)

krozman
04-15-2010, 10:29 PM
Adam Morrison made the perfect decision to leave when he did, so putting him #1 is no shame to this. Now, if we get one of those "one and dones" and he takes us to a championship and leaves GU, thats going to be more difficult.

Ezag
04-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Gotta be Mike Leisure. He had the best rebound I had ever seen in a NCAA tourney game- a leaping, one-handed grab off the glass back in '99

Robzagnut
04-16-2010, 10:22 AM
Gonna be Morrison

Yup. The mystical, magical, mustache ride where he took the whole nation by storm was a fun, fun period in GU history. Magazine covers, packed houses, "Larry Bird!" and clutch shooting was a sight to behold.

rijman
04-17-2010, 10:21 AM
The top 12 is an impressive list. No wonder the Zags have been a top ranked team during the previous 12 years.

My next thought is if the list were to continue forward who if anyone on the current squad will crack the top 12? Bouldin made it, but will there be anyone else who would? Harris would appear to be the odds on favorite, if he sticks around long enough. Gray could finish is career with a big season to be considered and I still believe Sacre is going to put it all together and have a monster season, similar to Samhan's senior effort, before he leaves Gonzaga. Players such as Arop, Kong, KO and others might be worthy when they finish up. It will be fun to watch.