PDA

View Full Version : Today's signing day; what's the scoop?

thespywhozaggedme
04-14-2010, 10:19 AM
So................................................ .......................................??????

BobZag
04-14-2010, 10:29 AM
Nothing...yet.

CDC84
04-14-2010, 10:36 AM
None are interested in the Zags, but here's a run down of the top 10 unsigned recruits at rivals.com:

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1066728

VaBeachZAG
04-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Fair to say that any recruit not interested in the Zags is of no interest to me.

frazier
04-14-2010, 11:38 AM
I wouldn't rule Gonzaga out on anybody, although none of these guys seem likely. However, there's links being posted to an impressive list of players. I don't think a guy like Marquise Carter would waver so quickly unless he heard names that would impact the minute situation. 100% Speculation.

No. What really happend from my sources is that he was worked over during his pick-up game time when he was here. Additionally, he knows that he is not coming here and securing unlimited playing time and there is a better than average chance that he will be getting more pine time then he can handle.

theothegreat21
04-14-2010, 11:47 AM
No. What really happend from my sources is that he was worked over during his pick-up game time when he was here. Additionally, he knows that he is not coming here and securing unlimited playing time and there is a better than average chance that he will be getting more pine time then he can handle.

Interesting....I heard he shot the ball quite well and impressed in pick-up games. If he was so unimpressive and worked over, why did the coaching staff accept his commitment?

frazier
04-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Interesting....I heard he shot the ball quite well and impressed in pick-up games. If he was so unimpressive and worked over, why did the coaching staff accept his commitment?

Shot the ball well and can help at 2 spots. Would be a good pick up. But to suggest he would come and not have to compete for minutes is just not accurate. He knows that.

Additionally, the staff would not take a pick-up game to decide whether or not to accept a commitment... To offer was made prior to that visit.

MDABE80
04-14-2010, 12:11 PM
He can still shoot well and still be worked over Theo;)..Minutes is another matter...he wasn't promised minutes ....Few makes the kids perform. Never has offered guarantees to anyone I know of...

If they compete and win a spot..fine...Nobody is given a "pass" in this sytem. But..."the more I know, the less I understand"...<--Don Henley.

theothegreat21
04-14-2010, 12:11 PM
Shot the ball well and can help at 2 spots. Would be a good pick up. But to suggest he would come and not have to compete for minutes is just not accurate. He knows that.

Additionally, the staff would not take a pick-up game to decide whether or not to accept a commitment... To offer was made prior to that visit.

Your response seems the opposite of what you just said, as you implied he was worked over when he was here. Also, I understand about the offer being made before the visit, but if he so struggled as you implied, the coaching staff could also have rescinded the scholarship offer or told him he wasn't a good fit.

Carter can certainly contribute at both the 1 and 2, and I would assume he understands that playing time is available with his skill set (not saying it's guaranteed by any means).

cjm720
04-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Your response seems the opposite of what you just said, as you implied he was worked over when he was here. Also, I understand about the offer being made before the visit, but if he so struggled as you implied, the coaching staff could also have rescinded the scholarship offer or told him he wasn't a good fit.

Carter can certainly contribute at both the 1 and 2, and I would assume he understands that playing time is available with his skill set (not saying it's guaranteed by any means).

Frazier said in an earlier post that he heard GJ dominated the pick-up games and Meech was not there. From that information, it could be inferred that Carter would be behind both Meech and GJ.

Interesting times....

Brandon Knight signed with Kentucky:mad:

007Zag
04-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Looking at that list, I was struck by the Ray McCallum situation: is it a recruiting violation for he and his father to talk about Detroit before recruiting season opens? Do they have to watch how much contact they have? :D

I'm sure that's not the case, but I was wondering if the NCAA has any specific regulations/exemptions when it comes to head coaches and their sons who also happen to be potential recruits...

BroncoZAG615
04-14-2010, 12:30 PM

Most offers are verbal until the coaches see what a kid can do on the court against the current stable of players. There's such a misconception that offers are all uniform. They vary just like commitments from verbal to written. I can assure you that many kids that say Gonzaga "offered" have only been offered verbally. They can only sign on the dotted line if they are given the paper and a pen.

cjm720
04-14-2010, 12:38 PM
Anyone know if Few and Co. offer the top kids without seeing them or truly evaluating them, with the hope of getting lucky?

For example, if I were Few I would have offered McColum or Knight just based on reports and interest from other programs. If he's intersted, then see if he fits.

Not sure if we're quite to that level yet, but was curious if anyone had any inisght.

DADoZAG
04-14-2010, 12:46 PM
I've always liked peanuts.

Go ZAGS!

007Zag
04-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Offering blindly sounds like a waste of time. The fact is that seeing guys in person does two things simultaneously: gives you an opportunity to see their skills and represent your program to the players.

I don't think a kid like Knight would take us seriously if we offered him without seeing him in person and telling him an offer is forthcoming.

Not that I'm a recruiter; that just seems like it makes sense.

ZagNative
04-14-2010, 01:05 PM
Of course the coaches have seen a kid in action before they offer! It's crazy talk to think they wouldn't.

However, it's been noted many times that the Zag players have veto power over prospective additions to the team.
"When we bring a kid on a visit, they spend the maximum amount of time with our players, and the players have veto power," Gonzaga Coach Mark Few said. "And we've had some vetoes over the years."

Read the full March 25, 2009, Washington Post Story here (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/24/AR2009032401368.html).

It is reasonable to expect that any offer to a kid would be contingent on the prospect visiting and passing the approval of the team.

cjm720
04-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Of course the coaches have seen a kid in action before they offer! It's crazy talk to think they wouldn't.

However, it's been noted many times that the Zag players have veto power over prospective additions to the team.

It is reasonable to expect that any offer to a kid would be contingent on the prospect visiting and passing the approval of the team.

Absolutely.

I kind of look at it like when I was applying for colleges. I had my preferred choices, my not-bloody-likely choices (Harvard), and my safety net choices. You never know until you ask, although you might not like it once you visit...

skan72
04-14-2010, 01:17 PM

"When we bring a kid on a visit, they spend the maximum amount of time with our players, and the players have veto power," Gonzaga Coach Mark Few said. "And we've had some vetoes over the years."

Read the full March 25, 2009, Washington Post Story here.

I think that is an absolutely awesome way to recruit, seriously. I love that all the guys have to mesh so there are generally no chemistry issues.

skan72
04-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Looking at that list, I was struck by the Ray McCallum situation: is it a recruiting violation for he and his father to talk about Detroit before recruiting season opens? Do they have to watch how much contact they have? :D

I'm sure that's not the case, but I was wondering if the NCAA has any specific regulations/exemptions when it comes to head coaches and their sons who also happen to be potential recruits...

At least Detroit in the Horizon League is pretty good, you have Butler in that league too.

However, Trey Zeigler, a 4 star guard playing for his Dad at Central Michigan, in the Mid-American conference??

frazier
04-14-2010, 01:49 PM
[/B]

Most offers are verbal until the coaches see what a kid can do on the court against the current stable of players. There's such a misconception that offers are all uniform. They vary just like commitments from verbal to written. I can assure you that many kids that say Gonzaga "offered" have only been offered verbally. They can only sign on the dotted line if they are given the paper and a pen.

Gonzaga might do it differently... But I can assure you, that 99.9% of the schools that I work with. When they offer an "Official Visit", it's a done deal. At that point, it's the player decision if he wants to go to that school or not. Additionally, I'm fairly certain that all schools have a limit as to how many official visits they could have... So, I'm sure they are very careful to use them wisely.

ZagNative
04-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Brandon Knight signed with Kentucky:mad:Oh, man, cjm! Messed up my day with the news Brandon bailed on the Zags! I'm tellin' ya, missed it by this much!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Misc/Nusseditbythatmuch.jpg

PS: I highly recommend reading that Washington Post story linked on my post above and again here (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/24/AR2009032401368.html). It's just a great read.

BobZag
04-14-2010, 01:51 PM

Totally wrong.

skan72
04-14-2010, 01:53 PM
Totally wrong.

Bob, I am super excited for the signing period. So please, just a hint of anything good happening at all for the Zags??

BobZag
04-14-2010, 02:03 PM
Bob, I am super excited for the signing period. So please, just a hint of anything good happening at all for the Zags??

Well, the staff is expecting Marquise's LOI today. :)

Angelo Roncalli
04-14-2010, 02:04 PM

There was a highly rated center who came to GU on an official. His player host was Jimmy Tricco. The first thing he asked Jimmy was to tell him about the girls he was going to be set up with during his visit. He apparently had seen Blue Chips and/or He Got Game. Things went downhill from there. Thumbs down from the team. No offer.

ZagNative
04-14-2010, 02:17 PM

Well, the staff is expecting Marquise's LOI today. :)
BZ comes through just in a nick of time, sparing him temporarily from the old John-Cleese-Fish-Called-Wanda gentle form of persuasion to toss us a crumb of information ...

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_UkLNCxT74w4/S8Y_2yncquI/AAAAAAAAnqo/vbS4yJ4Aodk/John%20Cleese%20a%20fish%20called%20wanda.jpg

BobZag
04-14-2010, 02:52 PM
That said, knowing Few... If the LOI doesn't arrive and if Carter waffles too much, Few could very well bid adieu and move on. Few is very no-nonsense.

But, as I said, the coaches expect it to arrive.

We shall see.

CDC84
04-14-2010, 05:36 PM
Oh, man, cjm! Messed up my day with the news Brandon bailed on the Zags! I'm tellin' ya, missed it by this much!

It was revealed in today's presser that Brandon Knight has a 4.3 GPA and has never had less than an A in any class. You talk about a combination of brains and talent....and then he's also supposed to be an all out competitor as well.

The bigger news is that 2011 prospect Mike Gilchrist also verbaled to Kentucky. One analyst I know feels that Gilchrist is better than any prospect in the 2010 class, and it ain't even close.

The rich get richer.

810Suited
04-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Gilchrist is rated #1 in 2011 but I doubt he finishes there, still somewhat of an athlete playing basketball. Kid is still nasty and Kentucky is stockpiling the one and dones. They will be getting Teague as well next year, after some shady Nike dealings with his big bro, thank you WW and Cal. Man I hate that Coach Cal's recruiting pitch is "i will put you in the nba in one year."

CDC84
04-14-2010, 06:03 PM
At some point Cal has got to recruit program players. Guys who are going to stick around 3-4 years like Chris Douglas-Roberts. I don't care how much talent you have, the history of college basketball has shown that super young teams rarely win championships. You need some experience.

cbbfanatic
04-14-2010, 07:22 PM
Gilchrist is rated #1 in 2011 but I doubt he finishes there, still somewhat of an athlete playing basketball. Kid is still nasty and Kentucky is stockpiling the one and dones. They will be getting Teague as well next year, after some shady Nike dealings with his big bro, thank you WW and Cal. Man I hate that Coach Cal's recruiting pitch is "i will put you in the nba in one year."

athlete playing basketball?

my guess is that you havent seen the guy play much...

he may not end up with the top spot (even though the recent consensus is that he is the best player in HS, regardless of class), but to say he is just an athlete playing basketball is patently false. i wouldnt even go as far as to call him a freak athlete. if anything, id say athleticism COULD end up being his only limitation. dont get me wrong, he is well above average in that dept, but not top of the heap

skan72
04-14-2010, 09:55 PM
At some point Cal has got to recruit program players. Guys who are going to stick around 3-4 years like Chris Douglas-Roberts. I don't care how much talent you have, the history of college basketball has shown that super young teams rarely win championships. You need some experience.

He doesn't only recruit one and dones though... Sure, he'll grab 2 maybe 3 one and dones per class, but this previous 2009 class also had Daniel Orton and Jon Hood, a 5 and 4 star respectively who are good players, and will show once out of the shadow of the other guys. Albeit, those two were not his doing, but under the coaching change they didn't ask for a release and move on to a different school.

This year's class has maybe 2 one and dones in Knight and Kanter...and there is no guarantee both leave. However, he also got a 4 star guard in Stacey Poole, ranked 27th in the nation by rivals. So that's a guy who probably isn't leaving and is still one damn good basketball player. Amongst every class it would seem he is still getting other 4 and 5 star players to come who won't run off right away.

Not too shabby if you ask me.

810Suited
04-14-2010, 10:33 PM
athlete playing basketball?

my guess is that you havent seen the guy play much...

he may not end up with the top spot (even though the recent consensus is that he is the best player in HS, regardless of class), but to say he is just an athlete playing basketball is patently false. i wouldnt even go as far as to call him a freak athlete. if anything, id say athleticism COULD end up being his only limitation. dont get me wrong, he is well above average in that dept, but not top of the heap

seen four of his games in person (3hs 1aau), i said hes nasty. definitely has the ability to be an amazing defender and is a great all around player, i just think that he sometimes has mental lapses that will keep him from being at the top spot. i dont think you will see gilchrist separate himself from the rest of the class like wall did. i just dont think he ends up at the top spot (teague imo). i also think nash and miller could end up being ranked ahead of him.

you can have your opinion and i can have mine. im no basketball scout, that was just my read on him. i do attend a lot of aau events and hs basketball games on the east coast, so its not like im just getting this info off of a youtube vid or something.

810Suited
04-14-2010, 10:37 PM
He doesn't only recruit one and dones though... Sure, he'll grab 2 maybe 3 one and dones per class, but this previous 2009 class also had Daniel Orton and Jon Hood, a 5 and 4 star respectively who are good players, and will show once out of the shadow of the other guys. Albeit, those two were not his doing, but under the coaching change they didn't ask for a release and move on to a different school.

This year's class has maybe 2 one and dones in Knight and Kanter...and there is no guarantee both leave. However, he also got a 4 star guard in Stacey Poole, ranked 27th in the nation by rivals. So that's a guy who probably isn't leaving and is still one damn good basketball player. Amongst every class it would seem he is still getting other 4 and 5 star players to come who won't run off right away.

Not too shabby if you ask me.

Orton is gone to the NBA.

Knight and Kanter should be 1 and dones.

If they get Leslie and/or lamb, they will both look to be one and dones.

If they get all four of these guys, I would list them like this in most likely to be one and done.

Kanter
Leslie/Knight
Lamb

Lamb being the least likely, but I know in his mind he is a one and done type of player.

Also I dont see Hood contributing that much, I was somewhat surprised he didnt transfer this year tbh, there was some smoke about it, but Kentucky fans are adamant that he and dodson are staying.

double edit

Sorry for turning this amazing place into a kentucky discussion. yuck i feel like i should take a shower.

skan72
04-14-2010, 11:03 PM
Orton is gone to the NBA.

Knight and Kanter should be 1 and dones.

If they get Leslie and/or lamb, they will both look to be one and dones.

If they get all four of these guys, I would list them like this in most likely to be one and done.

Kanter
Leslie/Knight
Lamb

Lamb being the least likely, but I know in his mind he is a one and done type of player.

Also I dont see Hood contributing that much, I was somewhat surprised he didnt transfer this year tbh, there was some smoke about it, but Kentucky fans are adamant that he and dodson are staying.

double edit

Sorry for turning this amazing place into a kentucky discussion. yuck i feel like i should take a shower.

Orton has signed an agent then? Still a fair chance him and Bledsoe come back.
Also had Darnell Dodson in that class. Hood didn't get a lot of time this year, look who he was behind. He was efficient in the time he got, and he was a very good prospect in high school. I think you are writing him off early.

Still leaves Poole in the 2010 class who won't bolt with more guys still to commit. Also, at least one draft board (DX) does not have Knight as a one-and-done type. I was thinking just that before I searched their site to see where they had him going in 2011, and they don't have him going there at all. He's not a one-and-done type athlete (EDIT: what I mean by this is that he isn't a freak athlete like Derrick Rose or John Wall).

What I'm saying is Coach Cal doesn't just recruit one-and-dones. He gets 1-3 guys every year who can actually play and will stay and help the program.

U Zig, I Zag
04-15-2010, 06:48 AM

I don't think it will matter to UK fans. They jumped right on the bandwagon this year, Ashley, et al. Maybe in 5 years after all the one and dones don't bring a NC or FF even. The fanbase is so large, that reasonable people probably get drowned out in all the noise.

As long as commentators verbally massage the UK players during TV broadcasts the fans will be fine. Case in point, I recall a game this year where Wall turned it over 3,4 times in a row or something and it was during a two minute lovefest from the talking heads - they didn't even break stride, they just kept talking like what he had just attempted had been successful instead of a complete mess.

I am not a fan of one and dones at all (as you an probably tell). A JUCO redeeming himself and getting a shot at D1 or some kid like Ammo coming out of nowhere (relatively nowhere, I know) and taking that momentum and leaving early - I am fine by that.

Cal will have something go down, something not good at all, while at UK. How do you leave a program that has to give up a season and go coach someplace else with no repercussions? You would think a kid's dad/mom/fam/HS/AUU coach that Cal has been chasing since he was 13 would maybe step back and say, 'maybe Cal wouldn't be the best influence'... then WW sends the kid a picture of D Rose's Bentley or whatever and all the worries fade away...

/end rant

/whoa, where did that come from? ;)

810Suited
04-15-2010, 08:44 AM
Orton is gone, hes living in California training for the draft. Hes out there taking online classes, so he doesnt hurt Kentuckys apr, but yeah hes not coming back.

Bledsoe isnt coming back either. Theyre both locks to be top 25 picks.

Any news on Carter???

theman.themyth.thelegend
04-15-2010, 08:48 AM
Any news on Carter???

See the last few posts on this thread:

http://guboards.com/showthread.php?t=28511

skan72
04-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Orton is gone, hes living in California training for the draft. Hes out there taking online classes, so he doesnt hurt Kentuckys apr, but yeah hes not coming back.

Bledsoe isnt coming back either. Theyre both locks to be top 25 picks.

Any news on Carter???

Still does not hurt my point of Cal getting a couple guys every year who aren't one-and-dones and are still good players who can help the program.

roxdoc
04-15-2010, 11:21 AM
You would think this is a KU board - why the lengthy fixation on which of Kentucky's people will or will not do what? Who cares.

skan72
04-15-2010, 11:37 AM
You would think this is a KU board - why the lengthy fixation on which of Kentucky's people will or will not do what? Who cares.

KU...hmmm I never mentioned Kansas.

You make a good point though, my apologies.

I assume we're getting one other guard to sign, from what I've heard. Who do you guys think it will be? In fact, who is even on our radar for this off-season besides Carter?

roxdoc
04-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Apology to Kansas fans - definitely my bad:o