PDA

View Full Version : Mystery 2010 recruit: which position & place?

theman.themyth.thelegend
04-12-2010, 09:11 AM
There have been numerous theories, speculation, and guesses to whom the mysterious 2010 recruit might be. We've heard everything from PG to Center, abroad to JUCO, so which position & location will this recruit be? :)

BobZag
04-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Guard. 100% certain.

WeSayZed
04-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Let's take stock first. Including Hart and Stockton we currently have 8 guards, 4 PGs and 4 SGs. Gray will be a senior, Goodson and Carter will be a juniors, and the rest will be sophomores or freshmen.

At SF we have Harris and Kong, and Arop and KO can play there as well. Harris will likely be gone next year, but Kong will be a junior and Arop and KO will be sophomores.

At the C and PF spots we have Sacre, Dower and KO. Harris can play here as well but I'm sure he'll be playing primarily at SF, and he'll most likely be gone next year anyway. Sacre could be gone next year too.

The math on this looks pretty straight forward to me.

Bombs over Zaghdad
04-12-2010, 09:47 AM
BZ, I know you are one not to be questioned, but how many guards do we need? I thought Marquis would shore up the guard talk.

Unless of course there is a transfer in the wind that we dont know about. There was talk earlier about one of our zags leaving in the offseason. This still a possibility?

Seems like we would want more post or forward recruits in the short-term.

cjm720
04-12-2010, 09:48 AM
I'd prefer a back-up big man for 2010.

My trepidation is rising re: one of ours transferring out, if we're 100% looking at another guard :(

Any news on that PG from France? Evan Tornier (sp?)?

WeSayZed
04-12-2010, 09:49 AM
Guard. 100% certain.
I understand that sometimes you have to take the BPA rather than select for need, but given our glut of not only guards but young guards I have a hard time seeing how yet another guard would see any floor time. Are there other moves in the works? Are some players transferring out, perhaps? What are we going to do about our shortage of big men?

Mr Vulture
04-12-2010, 09:58 AM
Its hard for me to look at guys like Stockton and Hart in the equation because they aren't scholarship players. Not saying that either one could become a solid player...they just don't figure in by my numbers. Here is basically how I see the roster breakdown based on position. Of course we could say that Harris would be better at the 3 but I would be very surprised is he didn't start at the 4 this year. Many of the players are flexible in the position they can play as well such as Olynyk (5), Dower (4), Harris (3), Arop (2), Carter (1)...

C - Sacre, Dower
PF - Harris, Olynyk
SF - Arop, Kong
SG - Gray,Carter
PG - Meech, GJ, GG

Mr Vulture
04-12-2010, 10:03 AM
How are we short on big men? We have 4 quality guys that can play the 4/5 spots and Hart can play the 4 as well in a pinch....

WeSayZed
04-12-2010, 10:19 AM
How are we short on big men? We have 4 quality guys that can play the 4/5 spots and Hart can play the 4 as well in a pinch....
I don't think Harris will be playing much at PF. His future as a pro is at SF. Why would he stay an extra year in school just to play another year at PF? I think the fact that he came back tells us that he'll be playing mostly at SF this year.

Beyond that, Harris will almost certainly be gone next year, and if he has a good year Sacre could well be gone too. We could easily be down to just Dower and KO next year.

MDABE80
04-12-2010, 10:33 AM
We have lots of guards...just not the right one(s). Thus, BZ's quite right. But Zed is correct in his analysis...we seriously need one or two big men. Does anyone seriously think Manny or Bol will replace Elias? KO is tall but he's not a bigman...unless he does some serious development...which he could.

We could really fall short down low. IMO we're short now...a guard and a very good big...Donnny will find one.

spudzag
04-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Would seem like 6 guards (5 if you call Arop a 3) already on the roster for next year would be more than enough.

cjm720
04-12-2010, 11:04 AM
I get the sense that Few's more worried about scoring from the guard position. He's building it up due in part because Bouldin's departure this year, Gray's next year, and the lack of what he seeks in the current players in Meech, GG, and GJ (which will likely improve) and Arop and Kong to a certain degree. He's not risky anything other than having depth at various positions (and thus spreading minutes to deserving players).

JPtheBeasta
04-12-2010, 11:47 AM
How are we short on big men? We have 4 quality guys that can play the 4/5 spots and Hart can play the 4 as well in a pinch...

That worries me a bit. I concede your point, though, because Few has been comfortable with Ira! and Pendo down low in the past. I always thought he did it out of necessity, though... If we get into foul trouble (WCC officiating doesn't exactly favor our physical play down low) we turn into a small team. I was surprised when Andy left, because I thought he would see minutes this year. We already have many guards who won't get PT, why not have a defensive minded JUCO big man down there at the end of bench- a la Kuso who doesn't care if he gets minutes or touches down low?

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-12-2010, 02:00 PM
There were no options on this poll to vote for Canadians? Aussies?

skan72
04-13-2010, 07:39 PM
Here's how I see it. At the college level the "PG, SG, SF" positions could potentially all be guards. Anyone playing "SG, SF" could be a bigger, more athletic guard type. Anyone playing "SF, PF" could be a bigger, more athletic, small forward type. "C"...generally want at least one true big man. But a lot of college teams can play with 3 or even 4 guard types out there.

We don't have to say "Harris has to play the SF position for his future prospects". Firstly, because Harris does not run this team, the coaches do and they do what is best for Gonzaga and it's players as a whole. Secondly, because he can be the 4 man but still playing on the perimeter mostly and showing off SF skills quite well for the NBA. No need to say, well SF is locked up with Harris so we have to only start 2 guards and 2 big men after that.

We could start 3 guards, 2 "biggers", i.e. Gray, Carter, GJ/Gray, Carter, Goodson/Goodson, Gray, Kong/Goodson, Gray, Arop/etc. (you get the picture) and then Harris, Sacre (probably)

On the who to get for a scholarship...
This is our breakdown (as per the gozags site):

7 guards (+1) incoming
Out of the seven - 1 freshman (redshirt Dave Stockton), 3 sophomores, 2 juniors (incoming will be a junior, correct??), 1 senior

4 forwards
Out of the 4 - 3 sophomores (Harris will probably be gone after next year), 1 junior

2 centres
Out of the 2 - 1 freshman and 1 junior

To me, it looks like a centre wouldn't be the most terrible thing we could do. However, of the true point guards - Goodson, Vilarino, Carter - two are juniors.

WeSayZed
04-13-2010, 09:19 PM
^ It sounds like we’re quite concerned about the PG position, and we may be concerned about GJ as well as Goodson. If that’s the case we might look to add depth at C next year, perhaps with a Juco transfer. If we’re going all in this year then we maybe we’re prepared to gamble that we can find the right guy who can step in and play next year.

FieldHouseFishHouse
04-14-2010, 03:37 AM

I don't think so.

FieldHouseFishHouse
04-14-2010, 03:47 AM
That worries me a bit. I concede your point, though, because Few has been comfortable with Ira! and Pendo down low in the past. I always thought he did it out of necessity, though... If we get into foul trouble (WCC officiating doesn't exactly favor our physical play down low) we turn into a small team. I was surprised when Andy left, because I thought he would see minutes this year. We already have many guards who won't get PT, why not have a defensive minded JUCO big man down there at the end of bench- a la Kuso who doesn't care if he gets minutes or touches down low?

I think you are dead on. On a roster of half a dozen players, to have only 4 guys capable of playing up front (3 if you discount KO who has not shown ANY kind of a post game, 2 if you move EH to the wing) could be a mistake. This is a physically demanding position, and the big guys do tend to accumulate fouls.
I don't want to be branded a Hart hater, but seriously....the guy is not a forward. He seems like a solid athlete, and he has good size for a guard, if he takes a leadership role and develops into a Bankheadish type shooter he may see some time in a couple years. If our 4 bigs went down I think you would see Kong at the 5 and Arop at the 4, leaving Hart on the bench.

MickMick
04-14-2010, 04:31 AM
Upgrade at guard. Doesn't matter if we have fifty of em. Not a numbers thing, but a quality thing.

CanadianZagFan
04-14-2010, 05:47 AM
I do think that a player like Carter is needed as well as another Big.

The Zags are loaded with wing players, guys who play the 2/3 spots, Gray, Arop, Kong, Gibbs, and Hart all line up as perimeter wing players. Of that group there are a few guys who we are counting on to be major contributors for the 2010/11 season. Arop is a stat sheet stuffer, Gray will be Gray and Kong should be seeing more consistent minutes, add the fact that Harris could see time on the wing that position is set and the team could get through an injury to a player or two as Gibbs can step up.

At PG we have Goodson, GJ and Stockton. Of those 3 there are many question marks that have been discussed at length. Bringing in a bigger and potentially better shooing option like Carter would help to solidify this position. With a Juco signing we could withstand an injury and still not miss a beat.

The teams bigs consist of 4 guys, Kelly, Rob, Elias and Sam. Rob and Elias make a great duo no doubt. Kelly brings a skill set to the 4/5 spot that can create mismatches and Sam is still an unknown on the floor at the D-1 level. If one of these 3 go down for any length of time we are in big trouble. So, as I see it, I would be happy to see a lead guard and a big coming on the roster for next season to round out the team. I know the coaches are who know better, but this is how I look at it.