• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zaggernaut
    Bulldog Fan
    • Dec 2008

Brad Stevens mentions the Zags

One day after signing a new 12-year contract with the Bulldogs, coach Brad Stevens mapped out his long-term vision for Butler basketball that includes perhaps getting a regular-season rematch with the Blue Devils next season.

"We have been approached about that but it all depends on the times and the dates," Stevens said Friday. "I think very few people want to play Duke, but if you have to play Duke in the national championship, you'll take it. Our hope is that this translates into more opportunities on neutral courts and getting home-and-homes, like Gonzaga."

The 33-year-old coach has wasted no time in capitalizing on the Bulldogs' national championship run, which ended Monday night in a 61-59 loss to Duke.

Stevens has already landed a pay raise and long-term job security at a program that has perhaps jumped ahead of Gonzaga and Xavier in the mid-major pecking order. He hit the recruiting trail Friday, an effort looking to bring even more talent to his already strong program, and now he wants to keep Butler in the spotlight.

Would be interesting if we were able to do a home and home with Butler in the future
  • CDC84
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

I am all for a home and home with Butler. Makes sense to me. More games at K2 against good opponents please!

Comment

• Frazzle
      Kennel Club Material
      • Feb 2007

Not attempting a hijack here, but the more quotes I read from Brad Stevens, the more I like the guy. The guy has achieved huge success and appears so humble. Gotta respect him for that.

Comment

• HillBillyZag
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

He just re-upped for 12 yrs. He, Few, and a handful of others put loyalty ahead of $$.
        [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
        ― Scottie Pippen

Comment

• DADoZAG
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Frazzle View Post
          Not attempting a hijack here, but the more quotes I read from Brad Stevens, the more I like the guy. The guy has achieved huge success and appears so humble. Gotta respect him for that.
          +1

But back to the thread...

It could be that home and home series between "mid-majors" is all that will be available in a few years. Greed may kill college basketball.

Butler would be a great game if the ASU game is truely off...

Go ZAGS!
          Go ZAGS!

Only watching the ball, misses at least 80% of the game.

Comment

• MDABE80
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

ASU's off? If so, I bet Dr K is bsy getting the on the schedule. They return all the key players if nobody jumps to the NBA. I'd like this game. Big time national audience. Anytime, anyone and anywhere does us justice. I wouldn't be surprised if Butler doesn't open the season as a 1-3 rank.

Old talent is very very good and the new ones look good as well. But to the possible game....it owld be hyped and wold be sensational for both programs. Who would win? Hard question but it IS the OOC and we's stilll be fresh.
            Either way, it's a big mutually beneficial opportunity.

Comment

• Bogozags
              Zag for Life
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by DADoZAG View Post
              +1

But back to the thread...

It could be that home and home series between "mid-majors" is all that will be available in a few years. Greed may kill college basketball.

Butler would be a great game if the ASU game is truely off...

Go ZAGS!
              Something else to think about...when the NCAA goes to 96 teams, which it will do sooner than later, BCS schools might well be more inclined to play home-and-home games, because in my opinion, over 60% of the 73 BCS teams will most l ikely make the DANCE. You could see 12-14 teams of the BEast conference making the tournament.

Not only will 96 teams bring more money to the NCAA's war chest but also an opportunity for more teams to play in the tourney but I think recruiting will also level out as using "...come to our school as we go to the Dance every year..." will have a different meaning to recruits as 50% more schools will become eligible.

Just some thoughts to consider...

Comment

Working...
              X