PDA

View Full Version : Kibitzing and kvetching

Birddog
04-09-2010, 05:00 AM
I fully understand that this is a "fan board", and I understand that as such, it is subject to the vagaries of the various fans who feel the need to post. Over the years I've witnessed the evolution of this board, and this off season, is without a doubt the most overwrought with fan angst that I've seen. The kibitzing and kvetching is getting tiresome esp as it regards Meech and Marquise. How many times and how many different ways do you have to say "Meech sucks" or "Marquise is the Messiah" before you're satisfied? There have been so many posters contributing piece by piece to this intellectual/logical house of cards that it is now tragicomical.

The now closed thread (Did our love for Meech come from one play?) almost got the answer. I thought sure some one would get it.
Waiting for Godot

gozagswoohoo
04-09-2010, 05:36 AM
The 'evolution' that you've noticed is one of the reasons I rarely post on the main board anymore (heck, sometimes I only SCAN the thread titles nowadays...)

I often wish there was an 'elite' section of the forum like (forgive me for saying this) the Duke site has, you have to be a paying member to post in it. Even if it was like $10, it would at least get rid of a most of the losers/lurkers.

GoZags
04-09-2010, 06:16 AM
I fully understand that this is a "fan board", and I understand that as such, it is subject to the vagaries of the various fans who feel the need to post. Over the years I've witnessed the evolution of this board, and this off season, is without a doubt the most overwrought with fan angst that I've seen. The kibitzing and kvetching is getting tiresome esp as it regards Meech and Marquise. How many times and how many different ways do you have to say "Meech sucks" or "Marquise is the Messiah" before you're satisfied? There have been so many posters contributing piece by piece to this intellectual/logical house of cards that it is now tragicomical.

The now closed thread (Did our love for Meech come from one play?) almost got the answer. I thought sure some one would get it.

Waiting for Godot

Yes Birddog -- a great deal has changed since the 90's, when you, I and a handful of others began discussing Gonzaga Basketball (and other Gonzaga related topics) online.

This community (I will not use the term "family") has certainly changed.

That being said -- the more important issue (my opinion) is that our Gonzaga family and our Gonzaga Basketball program STILL have the core values they've always had -- values that were instilled long before anyone with a keyboard can invent a "Zag" handle and pop off online.

There were many of us that were concerned as to what would happen once our beloved Father Spitzer left campus.

One cannot underestimate the clear signal, and huge impact of the recent hiring of Donnie Daniels. That was beyond huge -- and a clear signal that Gonzaga's Administration is behind moving onward and upward vis a vis Men's Basketball.

As for the program itself -- I'm glad to know they pay the same amount of attention to what is written on this board as they did when it was just a handful of alumni posting online back in the 90's.

Under the leadership of Mark Few (and to a certain degree, Mike Roth) -- Gonzaga Basketball is still a close knit family. Donnie is now a part of the family -- and I can't wait to see the impact.

I spent time this week with someone who has been close to Donnie for 30+ years -- Jim Marsh. Marsh knows virtually all of the coaches on the west coast, and many nationwide. He also spent the Friday afternoon of the Pac 10 tournament (no games were played) in the Valley -- when he took Dick Enberg up to see John Wooden --- "You know Jimmy, you're the only Trojan I allow in my house".

Marsh confirmed the following to me. He said that Donnie Daniels is perhaps the best assistant coach on the West Coast. He is "the real deal" and will be able to help Mark Few, and Gonzaga Basketball in ways that I couldn't begin to imagine.

So, while our online community has evolved, and changed -- it's my belief that Gonzaga Basketball continues to rise (and hasn't plateaued).

And I continue to maintain that the best days are yet to come. GoZags

webspinnre
04-09-2010, 06:30 AM
I agree with the comments regarding the negativity. Yes, Meech has his flaws as a player, but not everyone can be Dan Dickau or Matt Santangelo. Carter will push guys like Meech, GJ, and Gibbs, and in my book competition is a good thing. May the best players get the most minutes, whomever they end up being.

cjm720
04-09-2010, 06:43 AM
GoZags, great post and info. Super pumped for Daniels and his impact.

Go Zags!!!!!!!

Ekrub
04-09-2010, 07:10 AM
Your opinion sucks.

GU69
04-09-2010, 07:27 AM
Your opinion sucks.

:lmao:
Yup, that pretty much describes the "evolution."

Thanks, GoZags, for adding some positive and informed material.

sonuvazag
04-09-2010, 07:33 AM
Your opinion sucks.
Your opinion about the other opinion sucking, sucks.

Ekrub
04-09-2010, 07:37 AM
My post was supposed to be ironic... So therefore your opinion about my opinion about the other opinion sucking, sucks.

JLGutrocks
04-09-2010, 07:39 AM
I honestly don't think I could win 80% of my games as a D1 coach.

thespywhozaggedme
04-09-2010, 07:41 AM

Waiting for Godot

Not even close; after Josh and Theo got busted for shrooms, this board went apoplectic; when Jeremy was struggling, many questioned his worthiness, and when Austin was contemplating, and ultimately decided to forgo his jr and sr years, many were angst ridden and felt betrayed. In other words, this off season is no different than any other, we just tend to have selective memory. Once reports from summer ball come in and then official camp starts, all will be right in Zagland and we will all fall in line. Fret not my friend, at the end of the day we all live and die with our beloved Zags. As gozags said, our best days are ahead of us.

hondo
04-09-2010, 07:42 AM
Nicely said

saintzag
04-09-2010, 07:45 AM
GoZags, good insights and great post. I have high hopes that Donnie Daniels can help lead the Zags to new heights.

23dpg
04-09-2010, 07:45 AM
+1

At times it makes me sad what this board has become. So much negativity.

Stache
04-09-2010, 07:46 AM
I love Glazed donuts where previously I was partial to Maple Bars. Now there's an opinion you wouldn't have seen in past.

webspinnre
04-09-2010, 07:53 AM
I love Glazed donuts where previously I was partial to Maple Bars. Now there's an opinion you wouldn't have seen in past.

Your opinion sucks. The only thing better than Maple Bars are apple fritters and maple bismarks.

sonuvazag
04-09-2010, 08:02 AM
My post was supposed to be ironic... So therefore your opinion about my opinion about the other opinion sucking, sucks.:p

thespywhozaggedme
04-09-2010, 08:21 AM
And Spy,Nicely said

SWZag
04-09-2010, 08:27 AM

Waiting for Godot

Agree, and often comment on it. The first thing you notice when visiting another board is the complaining and negativity. That is how I judge whether or not the board is even worth reading and gleaning from. I often think of how other individuals view our site, and I just hope they don't click on certain threads. Many people comment on how well the like our forum, even on other schools forums, but it has declined in its credibility and fun atmosphere. With success comes problems and I think that's what we are seeing. I don't know what can be done about it, but I hate, absolutely hate, people talking bad about (MY) GU players and coaches. I don't know if the players ever really come on the board, but just put yourself in their shoes if you came on and your "die hard" fans were talking trash about you. How would that make you feel?

I could continue, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who dislikes the directional trend of the board.

SWZag

HillBillyZag
04-09-2010, 08:35 AM
Theres no doubt that the younger generation as usual, demands "instant gratification". If ever we fail to make the Tournament field and the streak ends, some will be calling for Few's head. GoZags's great thread gave this fan reassurance that the program and its standards will remain intact.

BlueVoodoo07
04-09-2010, 08:48 AM
I am just bummed that my thread got closed so quick, the question I asked only 2 people actually answered it the rest of the posts were people saying stupid stuff. I really thought the question that I brought up was a valid one, that people could have had good opinions both ways. The truth is this board seems very much like high school at times, where there are the popular kids who write what they want and its okay. Than you have the not so popular kids who when they say something they get put down and disrespected. Oh well as long as we love are Zags right?

LongIslandZagFan
04-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Not even close; after Josh and Theo got busted for shrooms, this board went apoplectic; when Jeremy was struggling, many questioned his worthiness, and when Austin was contemplating, and ultimately decided to forgo his jr and sr years, many were angst ridden and felt betrayed. In other words, this off season is no different than any other, we just tend to have selective memory. Once reports from summer ball come in and then official camp starts, all will be right in Zagland and we will all fall in line. Fret not my friend, at the end of the day we all live and die with our beloved Zags. As gozags said, our best days are ahead of us.

Sadly, we have gone from just loving Zags basketball to eating our own.:(

hondo
04-09-2010, 08:55 AM

You are welcome Spy. I hardly noticed I made that post, how forgetful I am getting. Apple Fritters forever.

cjm720
04-09-2010, 09:00 AM
I am just bummed that my thread got closed so quick, the question I asked only 2 people actually answered it the rest of the posts were people saying stupid stuff. I really thought the question that I brought up was a valid one, that people could have had good opinions both ways. The truth is this board seems very much like high school at times, where there are the popular kids who write what they want and its okay. Than you have the not so popular kids who when they say something they get put down and disrespected. Oh well as long as we love are Zags right?

I would have loved to chime into your post that was closed. Sure I think it's a valid question but I think you're wrong. That's my opinion, and that's obviously coach Few's opinion.

Forums are great to share experiences and opinions. I just take things from a logical point of view and go from there. (Not to say there's no emotion involved) :)

For example, Carter's videos: he looks like he has some skill, etc. but it's against JUCO players. Now contrast that against complaints of Meech and his play against the likes of Duke or Syracuse.

Here's where I go nuts: Meech was the starter all year but a JUCO guy who played against foes way below the level of a Duke/Michigan State should start??? I think Carter is a fantastic addition and will certainly help our squad but to annoint him as anything as a back up at this point makes no logical sense whatsoever.

Gonzdb8
04-09-2010, 09:04 AM
The 'evolution' that you've noticed is one of the reasons I rarely post on the main board anymore (heck, sometimes I only SCAN the thread titles nowadays...)

I often wish there was an 'elite' section of the forum like (forgive me for saying this) the Duke site has, you have to be a paying member to post in it. Even if it was like $10, it would at least get rid of a most of the losers/lurkers.

yeah, diversity of opinion sure is a drag. perhaps someday you'll find your "elite" section where only people who think like you post. dissenting thought....blah...just saying those words leaves a bad taste in my mouth. wake me up when the board is purged of all those "losers" who don't share your views.

BlueVoodoo07
04-09-2010, 09:06 AM
yeah, diversity of opinion sure is a drag. perhaps someday you'll find your "elite" section where only people who think like you post. dissenting thought....blah...just saying those words leaves a bad taste in my mouth. wake me up when the board is purged of all those "losers" who don't share your views.
Well said, Just like I was saying the popular crowd vs unpopular.

FuManShoes
04-09-2010, 09:23 AM

This board, this thread even, are like high school in the same way high school is like the real world. People have vastly different opinions about everything, including how best to communicate their vastly different opinions. Some write treatises, some use short barbs, mockery or sarcasm. Some harp on the style of the message rather than the message, while others are open to any opinion no matter how it's communicated. Some are popular and given free rein, some sink their chances at popularity or respect by making a poor impression out of the gate. Some demand perfection or view the acceptance of anything less as an admission of weakness, some are thankful for whatever success they and their team achieve and believe it's the journey rather than the destination that define greatness. Some are content, some are irascible. Some like Meech or at least respect Coach Few's right to play or not play the young man as he sees fit, some don't, never will and won't ever shut up about it. :)

BlueVoodoo07
04-09-2010, 09:33 AM
Seems like a lot of people think the more posts you have the bigger Zag fan you are, or the more you know about Gonzaga. Just because you haven't been posting on this site for years and years doesn't mean, you haven't watched Gonzaga for years and years. So for someone to call all the new people "losers/lurkers" is not fair.

gozagswoohoo
04-09-2010, 09:40 AM

You have absolutely no idea what I am even suggesting. I respect anyone that has a different opinion than I do, matter of fact, I'm 10x more likely to post in discussion and get into a thread if someone has a solid opposing view. That's the most fun. Re-read my post a few times, I believe you'll understand what I'm talking about, because as of now, you missed the point.

gozagswoohoo
04-09-2010, 09:45 AM
Seems like a lot of people think the more posts you have the bigger Zag fan you are, or the more you know about Gonzaga. Just because you haven't been posting on this site for years and years doesn't mean, you haven't watched Gonzaga for years and years. So for someone to call all the new people "losers/lurkers" is not fair.

Who said this?? I mean seriously, now THIS is turning into high school drama. I know guys on here that have less than 100 posts but have seen more live games and watched more zags basketball than many of the posters combined. Post count means nothing, and I highly doubt anyone uses their count as "leverage" if that's what you want to call it.

What we are talking about, is how frustrating it is that the board is now one huge, negative, bash-fest. And it ADDS to the frustration, when it's 15 topics, and all negative, and they're all started by people who just started posting a few weeks ago or something. Surely you understand why it could be a little annoying? Nobody says those guys shouldn't post, hell, I love that this board has so many people on it now. But, when people just fire off 3 pages worth of negative crap, it gets old.

BlueVoodoo07
04-09-2010, 09:46 AM

Just reread it, a few times. Still calling people losers.

DADoZAG
04-09-2010, 09:50 AM
This board, this thread even, are like high school in the same way high school is like the real world. People have vastly different opinions about everything, including how best to communicate their vastly different opinions. Some write treatises, some use short barbs, mockery or sarcasm. Some harp on the style of the message rather than the message, while others are open to any opinion no matter how it's communicated. Some are popular and given free rein, some sink their chances at popularity or respect by making a poor impression out of the gate. Some demand perfection or view the acceptance of anything less as an admission of weakness, some are thankful for whatever success they and their team achieve and believe it's the journey rather than the destination that define greatness. Some are content, some are irascible. Some like Meech or at least respect Coach Few's right to play or not play the young man as he sees fit, some don't, never will and won't ever shut up about it. :)

Nice, very nice. I like it, Fu.

I don't remember much about highschool because it was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, but if “imitation is the sincerest form of flattery”, and flattery is not one's goal in regard to another poster, perhaps the opposite might be more effective. As ZN suggests, ignore them.

Or, being a fairly new poster myself, perhaps I don’t have a clue and some just wish I would go away. I might give that some thought, but then again I might not.

Have a nice day. :)

Go ZAGS!

MDABE80
04-09-2010, 09:52 AM

Your question was of minimal significance but had some ill will toward one kid. A single question with bias all over it usually IS insignificant.

sonuvazag
04-09-2010, 09:56 AM
By losers, he means they got no jump shot and are not going to be the starter next year.

gozagswoohoo
04-09-2010, 09:56 AM

Okay, now re-read it again with some logic, what might I be referring to when I use the word 'losers'? Do you think I mean people with less than 100 posts? How bout people with a differing opinion than I? If that is what you see, then keep reading it. Again....ok, now again.....again....one more time....still what you are seeing? Okay, try it again, read it one more time.....?

BlueVoodoo07
04-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Okay, now re-read it again with some logic, what might I be referring to when I use the word 'losers'? Do you think I mean people with less than 100 posts? How bout people with a differing opinion than I? If that is what you see, then keep reading it. Again....ok, now again.....again....one more time....still what you are seeing? Okay, try it again, read it one more time.....?
See this is what I mean, how about since there are some of us that don't understand what you mean, explain it to us so we do. Instead of freaking out and getting all dramatic.

primal23
04-09-2010, 09:59 AM
See this is what I mean, how about since there are some of us that don't understand what you mean, explain it to us so we do. Instead of freaking out and getting all dramatic.

But Drama is fun... err I meant theatre not that kind of drama....:o :p

gozagswoohoo
04-09-2010, 10:05 AM

I just explained it a minute ago. The 'losers' or 'lurkers' i refer to, are the ones that come to the board, and start random bashing threads, or they start a thread that is identical to one right below it, or week in and week out, they start a thread to bash a player. It's useless, and it's garbage, and I don't want to read it (WHICH I DON'T! So please don't come back with the token "don't click the thread if you don't want to read it" response). But, what I am trying to say, is that if there was an option to have a pay section of the board, it would at least cut down on some of that garbage. I would be in favor of it, that is all.

cjm720
04-09-2010, 10:07 AM

Or work has been really slow...

I got pegged as a "troll" on one of my first posts (by one my now favorite posters) because I thought Pargo, in his junior year, was "playing" for the NBA too much. You can agree or disagree with a post and some will rush to judgement, take a position out of context, or simply disagree or agree. That's the beauty of the boards.

BlueVoodoo07
04-09-2010, 10:10 AM
I just explained it a minute ago. The 'losers' or 'lurkers' i refer to, are the ones that come to the board, and start random bashing threads, or they start a thread that is identical to one right below it, or week in and week out, they start a thread to bash a player. It's useless, and it's garbage, and I don't want to read it (WHICH I DON'T! So please don't come back with the token "don't click the thread if you don't want to read it" response). But, what I am trying to say, is that if there was an option to have a pay section of the board, it would at least cut down on some of that garbage. I would be in favor of it, that is all.

Okay thanks for explaining it, I still don't agree with you on calling people losers for starting a thread that somebody else might have started right below them.

Once and Future Zag
04-09-2010, 10:10 AM
I think the boards knicker-untwisting machine is still busted.

My little rant - whenever I post I try to be fair to the player and the coaching staff, assuming that they both are trying the hardest that they can to develop themselves and the GU program.

I try not to question "heart" or "hustle" as I'm not psychic. I can't tell through a TV what's going through a player's mind and heart.

I try to treat each player as unique, and I try to look at on-court performance both from a hard statistical perspective and an "eye test" when describing their performance

I try to not project what I want the team to be onto what they are and can be.

zagar
04-09-2010, 10:18 AM
Another bit of advice: use the Ignore List. If you visit a poster's profile you can add them to a list of users so you won't see their posts. It doesn't stop them from starting numerous posts expressing their dislike of a particular player, but it does limit the amount of times you have to hear the same thing over and over and over and over and over and...

Thanks to this thread, I just added another user to my Ignore List, and it's already paying dividends.

gozagswoohoo
04-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Okay thanks for explaining it, I still don't agree with you on calling people losers for starting a thread that somebody else might have started right below them.

So maybe loser is a strong word. But I believe you at least get my point, whether you agree or not.

LongIslandZagFan
04-09-2010, 10:33 AM

Actually... if it there is already a thread on page 1 and you start another thread on the same subject... then someone seriously has, at the very least, comprehension issues.

Maybe we should just start a "I hate <insert player's name here>" board so people can feel better about themselves by calling a player worthless over and over and over again. Meech has been put through the wringer... over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again... enough already. That isn't about differing opinions... it is about becoming friggin' white noise on the board.

ZagNative
04-09-2010, 10:41 AM
I found myself asking myself, especially after the season ended, "Does guboards add to your joy about Gonzaga basketball or take away from it?" Unfortunately, I'm still not sure.

Gonzaga basketball in my life is a place of refuge from all the troubles of the world, a place to escape from the 24-hour television news cycle, where commentators shout at each other and impugn people of the opposing party, where there seems to be so little common ground.

For me, there are no bad guys in the Gonzaga basketball program. May it always be so.

I come to guboards mainly for the news it offers, not so much the opinion of nameless, faceless people with all kinds of agendas, except for a group of posters I know I can count on for well-reasoned analysis, who don't just mouth their love of GU ball but who demonstrate it in their posts and who change my thinking sometimes in the process.

It's gotten so I click on the number of replies to a given thread to see who has posted on it, to view the names of people who have posted, so I'll know whether anyone whose views I respect has seen fit to respond, i.e., whether it's worth opening. More and more often, I decide to give it a pass.

So I go in search of something more optimistic and informative and fun off the board than what I too often find here. The trouble, however, is that even when I find something that meets that criteria and decide to post it, I can count on one of the trolls to come out from under the bridge long enough to post something negative (see the Kevin Pangos thread).

I hope this trend of negativity and of domination of the board by a handful of vocal negative posters will at least moderate some time soon.

Has getting rid of negative rep made it worse?

gozagswoohoo
04-09-2010, 10:43 AM
I found myself asking myself, especially after the season ended, "Does guboards add to your joy about Gonzaga basketball or take away from it?" Unfortunately, I'm still not sure.

Gonzaga basketball in my life is a place of refuge from all the troubles of the world, a place to escape from the 24-hour television news cycle, where commentators shout at each other and impugn people of the opposing party, where there seems to be so little common ground.

For me, there are no bad guys in the Gonzaga basketball program. May it always be so.

I come to guboards mainly for the news it offers, not so much the opinion of nameless, faceless people with all kinds of agendas, except for a group of posters I know I can count on for well-reasoned analysis, who don't just mouth their love of GU ball but who demonstrate it in their posts and who change my thinking sometimes in the process.

It's gotten so I click on the number of replies to a given thread to see who has posted on it, to view the names of people who have posted, so I'll know whether anyone whose views I respect has seen fit to respond, i.e., whether it's worth opening. More and more often, I decide to give it a pass.

So I go in search of something more optimistic and informative and fun off the board than what I too often find here. The trouble, however, is that even when I find something that meets that criteria and decide to post it, I can count on one of the trolls to come out from under the bridge long enough to post something negative (see the Kevin Pangos thread).

I hope this trend of negativity and of domination of the board by a handful of vocal negative posters will at least moderate some time soon.

Very well said LIZF and ZagNative...

primal23
04-09-2010, 10:44 AM

Maybe it forced things into the open public more? :confused: :(

Once and Future Zag
04-09-2010, 10:46 AM

Hear, hear!

sittingon50
04-09-2010, 11:39 AM
So, the Mariners are off to a bit of a slow start, eh?

ZagsObserver
04-09-2010, 11:47 AM
This is an interesting question, and I think there is a bit of understanding that can be gained by many members of the board, myself included. First of all, diversity of opinion is a good thing. You can sensor everything you read by either listening to Rush Limbaugh if you are of the republican persuasion, or a couple of the idiots I watch on CNN if you are on the other side of the fence...do you really gain new insights by doing this though. You may gain new information, but you may not process that information differently unless it came from someone looking at it through a different lense.

That having been said, the Meech topic is a dead horse, and bringing it up over and over and over again is a waste of time. Meech is a great guy, but there are differing opinions as to his role on the team. I think these diverse opinions are good (I do sense that a lot of people don't care for diversity...and I have sensed this for a couple years now as I've read through the various threads), but at some level if nothing new is said, let it rest. Being cognizant that we are talking about student athletes and fellow GU students, let's also keep it clean. Advocating for less playing time for a particular player is NOT negative, as it creates an opportunity for another play...thus net neutral. Personal attacks or attacks on other members are. I was a top varsity member of the GU cross country team once upon a time, and competition was healthy...it facilitates growth, and also good sportsmen. I hope that as a team we can gain a better degree of understanding; not being defensive about every issue, but also being cognizant of the effects of your statements. Go Zags.

Ekrub
04-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Soooo..... I'm thinking that Dower should run the point. Anyone else agree?

LongIslandZagFan
04-09-2010, 12:18 PM
This is an interesting question, and I think there is a bit of understanding that can be gained by many members of the board, myself included. First of all, diversity of opinion is a good thing. You can sensor everything you read by either listening to Rush Limbaugh if you are of the republican persuasion, or a couple of the idiots I watch on CNN if you are on the other side of the fence...do you really gain new insights by doing this though. You may gain new information, but you may not process that information differently unless it came from someone looking at it through a different lense.

That having been said, the Meech topic is a dead horse, and bringing it up over and over and over again is a waste of time. Meech is a great guy, but there are differing opinions as to his role on the team. I think these diverse opinions are good (I do sense that a lot of people don't care for diversity...and I have sensed this for a couple years now as I've read through the various threads), but at some level if nothing new is said, let it rest. Being cognizant that we are talking about student athletes and fellow GU students, let's also keep it clean. Advocating for less playing time for a particular player is NOT negative, as it creates an opportunity for another play...thus net neutral. Personal attacks or attacks on other members are. I was a top varsity member of the GU cross country team once upon a time, and competition was healthy...it facilitates growth, and also good sportsmen. I hope that as a team we can gain a better degree of understanding; not being defensive about every issue, but also being cognizant of the effects of your statements. Go Zags.

+1,000,000

titopoet
04-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Soooo..... I'm thinking that Dower should run the point. Anyone else agree?

Why you dissing Sacre. Think of the match up problems for other team with a 7 footer running the point. Either that or Stephan Grey, the journalist.:D

Ekrub
04-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Why you dissing Sacre. Think of the match up problems for other team with a 7 footer running the point. Either that or Stephan Grey, the journalist.:D

Because, Sacre is garbage from the free throw line. Points must shoot 85&#37; +

sittingon50
04-09-2010, 01:09 PM
I had a sub sandwich for lunch.

Just A Zag
04-09-2010, 01:23 PM
I had a sub sandwich for lunch.

i HATE sub sandwichs. Pizza can stroke from beyond the arc.

SWZag
04-09-2010, 01:34 PM

+1!!!

LynetteG
04-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Zenyatta won the Apple Blossom Stakes at Oaklawn today!

BobZag
04-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Zenyatta won the Apple Blossom Stakes at Oaklawn today!

Was Rachel Alexandra in it?

LynetteG
04-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Was Rachel Alexandra in it?

No, 5 horse field. RAs connections said she would not run in it after her 2nd place finish in her last race, which was her first out this year. I expect we'll see them hook up at some place later this year. I know the purse was dropped down since only Z ran.

You should watch the replay, Z looks twice as big as any of the horses! That's what happens when you race as a 6 year old though, very mature body. She is a big brute, though!

Jedster
04-09-2010, 05:07 PM
+1 Zag Native and Zag Observer!

So, I leave for four days to Vegas to see how much money I can lose (broke even) and how much weight I can gain in 4 days from drinking and eating myself to death (quite impressive actually), and I come back to the same junk on Meech sucks, bench Meech, Few plays favorites, etc. It is going to be a long off-season!

I too love the idea that we can have different positions on an issue and I think it's healthy. The problem I have is that people post the exact same thing in numerous posts, and/or hijack posts to talk about the same thing. We need a function on this site where people can cite from 2-3 canned answers they have and can just put down see Answer C: which is a tirade on how bad a player Meech is. Then we don't have to re-read the exact same thing over and over again! We get it...time to move on and quit beating the horse to death. Or at the very least, say something such as "in a previous post I wrote this on Meech" and provide a link so we don't have to re-read the same thing.

Wish I were in Vegas again.....

BlueVoodoo07
04-09-2010, 06:12 PM
+1 Zag Native and Zag Observer!

So, I leave for four days to Vegas to see how much [QUOTE=Jedster;562228]+1 Zag Native and Zag Observer!

So, I leave for four days to Vegas to see how much money I can lose (broke even) and how much I can gain in 4 days from drinking and eating myself to death (quite impressive actually), and I come back to the same junk on Meech sucks, bench Meech, Few plays favorites, etc. It is going to be a long off-season!

I too love the idea that we can have different positions on an issue and I think it's healthy. The problem I have is that people post the exact same thing in numerous posts, and/or hijack posts to talk about the same thing. We need a function on this site where people can cite from 2-3 canned answers they have and can just put down see Answer C: which is a tirade on how bad a player Meech is. Then we don't have to re-read the exact same thing over and over again! We get it...time to move on and quit beating the horse to death. Or at the very least, say something such as "in a previous post I wrote this on Meech" and provide a link so we don't have to re-read the same thing.

Wish I were in Vegas again.....

Wow you know another thing everybody can do....just don't write on that thread and than it will fall down the ladder and not be heard of again. Instead everybody has to go on the post
(that they don't like) and write about how stupid it is to still be hearing about this stuff. Bumping it right back up top so more people can just keep bashing it. Don't like it, Don't post on it...it will die than.

sittingon50
04-09-2010, 06:55 PM
:1bestever:

Angelo Roncalli
04-09-2010, 06:57 PM
[QUOTE=Jedster;562228]+1 Zag Native and Zag Observer!

So, I leave for four days to Vegas to see how much

Wow you know another thing everybody can do....just don't write on that thread and than it will fall down the ladder and not be heard of again. Instead everybody has to go on the post
(that they don't like) and write about how stupid it is to still be hearing about this stuff. Bumping it right back up top so more people can just keep bashing it. Don't like it, Don't post on it...it will die than.

Closing it when it has gone beyond reason, or is incredibly redundant, is a very effective way to help it sink to the bottom as well.

ellenvega
04-10-2010, 04:36 PM
And after a while, all the negativity and whining pushes some folks away. Unfortunately, it's began to push a vast majority of some of the more "established" posters away.

Don't let them push you away. Stand your ground and post quality posts, encourage the same from others, and make the whiners the minority (IGNORE if necessary). That's how you keep a quality board.

I must have been on sabbatical during the 'negative rep' experiment but I've seen that done on other boards (they call it thumbs up or thumbs down) and it doesn't help matters at all.

willandi
04-10-2010, 05:28 PM
until fall practice, when we can all be excited and anticipatory, and all these questions will have been or will resolve themselves on the court? I'm ready!!

WeSayZed
04-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Most of the kibitzing and kvetching I see around here is being done by people who are kibitzing and kvetching about kibitzing and kvetching. This is a very ironic thread, in case anyone hadn't noticed.

Ezag
04-10-2010, 07:19 PM
You're all saying negativity is bad, I am say hell no it isn't. Why do we want this board to be full of Ned Flanders posts? :D

GrizZAG
04-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Given the broad range of ages and backgrounds posting on this, are we really surprised that a lot of folks come at this from different angles? Some are wannabe jocks, some analytical-analytical types, some just having fun (I'm a maple bar guy...really) and others have a need to just opiniate I guess.

Remember one thing that the Super Authority Judge Judy says...

One out of every three people is an idiot!

Frankly the only one's that annoy me are the people who dis other's posts. But hey, that is what these things are all about.

Somebody going to tell me to "Chill", "Give it a Rest" or some other condescending crap? Hope not.
Luv ya all no matter what cause you are the Zag Nation!

gozagswoohoo
04-12-2010, 06:03 AM
You're all saying negativity is bad, I am say hell no it isn't. Why do we want this board to be full of Ned Flanders posts? :D

I think some negativity can be a good thing. But the entire first page of the forum always being 96% negativity is.....frustrating.

Oh, and for the record, Ned Flanders is PMTA!!

LongIslandZagFan
04-12-2010, 07:47 AM
I think some negativity can be a good thing. But the entire first page of the forum always being 96% negativity is.....frustrating.

Oh, and for the record, Ned Flanders is PMTA!!

I am more partial to his cousin... Jose Flanders... Buenos-ding-dong-diddly-dias senor.

http://api.ning.com/files/EtVtDUR4B4wy4Krk-oSx7qkJMSSc-kTiz32fdme-7co_/JoseFlanders.jpg

Jedster
04-12-2010, 07:59 AM
[QUOTE]

BlueVoodoo-Seems you broke your own rule then, unless you enjoy this thread. :)

You miss my point, I am saying it's the redundancy of some people who continue to post the same thing over and over and over in different threads, and/or hijack threads to post that same material. That is what gets old. You have a different opinion than me, great, let's have a good discussion on it, but please, please, bring something new to the table. Rehashing the same thing over and over is tiresome. That's all I'm trying to say...and I do still wish I were in Vegas!

gozagswoohoo
04-12-2010, 08:04 AM
[QUOTE=BlueVoodoo07;562234]

BlueVoodoo-Seems you broke your own rule then, unless you enjoy this thread. :)

You miss my point, I am saying it's the redundancy of some people who continue to post the same thing over and over and over in different threads, and/or hijack threads to post that same material. That is what gets old. You have a different opinion than me, great, let's have a good discussion on it, but please, please, bring something new to the table. Rehashing the same thing over and over is tiresome. That's all I'm trying to say...and I do still wish I were in Vegas!

Something tells me that Mr. BlueVD (I like that abbreviation for him, hehe) will not be responding.

Jedster
04-12-2010, 09:52 AM
[QUOTE=Jedster;562573]

Something tells me that Mr. BlueVD (I like that abbreviation for him, hehe) will not be responding.

I like that too...good juvenile humor...right up my alley!

:D

mee755
04-12-2010, 01:21 PM
Your opinion sucks. The only thing better than Maple Bars are apple fritters and maple bismarks.

All donuts are icky.