• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zag 77
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Why did Carter go Juco?

I don't think most athletes go there by choice. Usually it is due to grades or something like that. Hopefully if that was the case with Mr. Carter, it has been resolved. I have a pretty good idea that GU would not have recruited him if academics is an issue.
  • ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

A lot of us were knuckleheads coming out of high school, but if the issue in the past was adademics, Carter seems to have his head screwed on straight now, per Jim Meehan's blog:
    “My visit went really well,” said Carter, who played at Horizon High in San Diego. “I connected with the players and the coaches. I just felt like it was a place I needed to be. I feel by being there I can graduate, get my degree and be successful on the court.”

Comment

• RockandRollJames
      Kennel Club
      • Feb 2010

He also did not play on an AAU team, which hurts big-time recruiting wise.

Comment

• CDC84
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Actually, you would be surprised by how many basketball players go juco by choice. If you can get into a top level juco program, it's a great place to elevate your game against good competition while playing for coaches who have a lot of connections into BCS and elite non-BCS programs. It could very well be the case that Marquise decided to go juco because he felt his upside was greater than the scholarship offers he was getting out of high school. And as RR-James indicates, he probably wasn't getting many good offers because he chose to not participate in AAU events.

Comment

• OZZY
          Zag for Life
          • Aug 2009

A good example of this was Rob Sacre's good mate Tyler Kepkay, who because of his size and lack of any decent D1 offers went to JC in Utah. In his sophomore year he led NJCAA D1 in scoring and ended up as a decent player at Utah (and has played for the Canadian National team) .

Comment

• cjm720
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2007

Does anyone know why Carter redshirted at the JUCO? Is this normal for some JUCO players?
            Go Zags!!!

Comment

• cjm720
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2007

Bump...pretty old but still curious.

Does anyone know why Carter redshirted at the JUCO? Is this normal for some JUCO players?
              Go Zags!!!

Comment

• MickMick
                Zag for Life
                • Apr 2007

Few seems to do better with players after evaluating their talent over time as opposed to dealing with highly regarded players that simply fall into his lap. He knows what he wants and gets more out of players like Carter that are brought in as part of a conceived plan.

For that reason, I have high hopes for Carter. If he approximates the production of another JUCO named TJ Campbell, then I would be thrilled.

I mention this because if Carter pans out, then who really cares what route he took to get here? Few offered him and that is all I need to know.
                I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• Reborn
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2007

There was a very good JC player named JP Batista who had a great career at Gonzaga. He was JC All American like Carter. I expect Carter to have a very good career at Gonzaga. He's good. That's why I think GJ left.
                  Last edited by gozagswoohoo; 05-12-2010, 06:17 AM.
                  Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• ZagKing09
                    Kennel Club Material
                    • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                    There was a very good JC player named JP Batista who had a great career at Gonzaga.
                    We need another solid big like JP. Rob is looking good at this point, but he is still not up to the level that JP was during his time here!
                    Kings of the West Coast!

T.B.I.Y.T.C.

Comment

• bullzag23
                      Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2015
                      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by ZagKing09 View Post
                      We need another solid big like JP. Rob is looking good at this point, but he is still not up to the level that JP was during his time here!
                      As good as JP was offensively he left he did leave a lot to be desired defensively. Rob is much more advanced and mobile on the defensive end and although I never expect him to have quite the touch JP had around the basket I do believe he will improve significantly (and already has) over the next 2 years.
                      A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
                      Steven Wright

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2012
                      Foo Fantasy Football Last Place Champ 2013

Comment

• CDC84
                        Super Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

As good as JP was offensively he left he did leave a lot to be desired defensively.
                        What Gonzaga needs is a JP Batista-like big man to stand alongside Sacre in the post. I felt JP's defensive woes (when he was guarding taller bigs) were minimized when he played alongside Ronny Turiaf.

But good luck trying to find another JP Batista. There are less than a handful of big men over the past 10 years of college basketball who possessed his offensive skill set in the low blocks. He was the best pin and seal big man that college ball has seen a long time.

Comment

• kitzbuel
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                          What Gonzaga needs is a JP Batista-like big man to stand alongside Sacre in the post. I felt JP's defensive woes (when he was guarding taller bigs) were minimized when he played alongside Ronny Turiaf.

But good luck trying to find another JP Batista. There are less than a handful of big men over the past 10 years of college basketball who possessed his offensive skill set in the low blocks. He was the best pin and seal big man that college ball has seen a long time.
                          Exactly. JP's don't exactly grow on trees. I think if the staff found another one they would have worked awfully had to recruit him. It is kinda like craps, keep bringing in big men and see if one comes up 7 or 11.
                          'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                          - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• GUZagDenver
                            Kennel Club Material
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by MickMick View Post
                            I mention this because if Carter pans out, then who really cares what route he took to get here? Few offered him and that is all I need to know.

Because let's not forget, Mark Few has NEVER made a recruiting mistake. Or any kind of mistake for that matter.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                              • Mar 2008

my information is that he was little disappointed in getting no scholarship offers out of high school. His teammate(jr in HS) his senior year committed to Louisville, he played in huge tournaments and in california state tournaments and was named all city and all state....yet no one offered him scholarships..
                              had interest from the likes of howard, liberty, Northeastern...but my guess is he had his eggs in one basket with UNLV and when they didnt offer he was disappointed...

No harm no foul...the kid made the most of the cards dealt him, he improved his game and was clearly a success on the court at 3 rivers.......and now we are glad he has found a home in Spokane and hope he attunes himself to our game, our team and our winning ways.........welcome on board Marquise...I am excited to watch you meld into our awesome team and college community
                              The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

Working...
                              X