PDA

View Full Version : And then there was one. . .

theman.themyth.thelegend
04-08-2010, 02:20 PM
After receiving the terrific news of Marquise Carter's committment today, there is still ONE mystery recruit remaining for 2010.

Who could it be?

All thoughts, theories, & speculation can be shared until we find out whom or what awaits the Zags next. . . .

Any ideas? Another JUCO, unsigned prospect, a Euro-player perhaps?

:D

ZagNative
04-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Coach Few said on the final KGA show that they were looking for two perimeter players. BZ started the other thread with this:
Not sure if it'll be two guards, a guard and a big, a guard and a transfer, or what, but before school begins next September, Gonzaga will have at least TWO new players. Possibly three, but more than likely two. Doubtful any of them will be frosh.

Just fyi.

I've seen nothing in my obsessive searches on the internets, aside from Carter.

Anybody seen Tommy Lloyd lately? Abroad, maybe?

cjm720
04-08-2010, 02:46 PM
I've searched for an all encompassing trasnfer list with no luck.

thespywhozaggedme
04-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Nike Hoops Summit is Saturday in Portland, I think we're gonna have a presence there, maybe a mystery signee. Plus the Canadian AA juco combo guard.

GoZags
04-08-2010, 03:08 PM
O xi%0Gbaa! Terre de nos aïeux,
Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux.
Car ton bras sait porter l'épée,
Il sait porter la croix.
Ton histoire est une épopée,
Des plus brillants exploits.
Et ta valeur, de foi trempée,
Protégera nos foyers et nos droits.

thespywhozaggedme
04-08-2010, 03:11 PM
O xi%0Gbaa! Terre de nos aïeux,
Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux.
Car ton bras sait porter l'épée,
Il sait porter la croix.
Ton histoire est une épopée,
Des plus brillants exploits.
Et ta valeur, de foi trempée,

A Frenchie, eh? Let the guessing begin.

thespywhozaggedme
04-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Mael Lebrun a 6'6 sf from France will be playing for the World team Saturday in Portland. Just throwing stuff out there, I haven't a clue.

GoZags
04-08-2010, 03:21 PM
Nothing is ever in the bag until it is in the bag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etEb-MixlaA

thespywhozaggedme
04-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Nothing is ever in the bag until it is in the bag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etEb-MixlaA

So it is the Canadian juco AA, you and me, we work good together.:D

ZagLawGrad
04-08-2010, 07:32 PM
I'm all for a couple of them rough and tumble Aussies showing up on campus. Even with those ugly mouthguards.

cggonzaga
04-08-2010, 07:45 PM
How about the ultra athletic Emerson Murray?

snebzag
04-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Rob is the only true 5. Even a decent Juco transfer who is a true Center to back him up would be positive. I hate seeing guys play out of their true role. We have lots of players who can fill in behind him, but aren't true 5"s. Sam will be a good power forward, but don't force him into that role. Find a big man, muscle, tough, mean, rebounding, foul shooting sum-a-gun. We seem deep at all other spots. Big. Go Big.

ZagLawGrad
04-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Rob is the only true 5....

OT: I miss the days when basketball players were guards, forwards and centers.

snebzag
04-08-2010, 08:23 PM
I did use the term "true Center" in that post. I too like point guard, power forward, center. Go look at that Point guard thread. Wow! Out of hand.

OZZY
04-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Rob is the only true 5. Even a decent Juco transfer who is a true Center to back him up would be positive. I hate seeing guys play out of their true role. We have lots of players who can fill in behind him, but aren't true 5"s. Sam will be a good power forward, but don't force him into that role. Find a big man, muscle, tough, mean, rebounding, foul shooting sum-a-gun. We seem deep at all other spots. Big. Go Big.

Perhaps a big French JUCO Centre might work out as a decent back up for Rob. Some on the board are concerned about how raw he is, but even if he gets utilised initially just on the defensive end of the court. We have a fair amount of firepower at the PF position with Elias, Kelly and Sam, so having a player set screens and grab the odd rebound woiuld allow Rob to get a breather. Who knows, with exisiting coaches already having assisted overseas bigs and Coach Daniels experience with French Bigs (Luc Richard Mbah a Moute ) he might end up developing an offensive game as well.

1973Zag
04-09-2010, 05:44 AM
Whatever happened to the Minnesota kid who left the team. Are we looking(with Sam's help) or is there too much baggage. He was mentioned in earlier threads and has disappeared lately. Anyone with update?

theman.themyth.thelegend
04-09-2010, 06:04 AM
I suppose the most logical guess would be French big-man, Guy-Marc Michel (http://rivals.yahoo.com/kentstate/basketball/recruiting/player-Guy-Marc-Michel-103966).

He's been heavily discussed on the board before and is a 7'1", 265lb Centre playing for North Idaho CC over in Coeur d'Alene. He currently holds offers from Colorado, Rutgers, and Gonzaga. From recent reports, it sounds as if the interest level remains for this kid. There is no doubt he is extremely raw and a "project" on the offensive end who has never averaged over 7 ppg in the past two seasons, but does block shots and rebounds at a high level.

Personally, I'd like to see another player fill the available spot, b/c G-MM sounds eerily similar to Mammery Diallo before he arrived on campus, but I'll trust the Coaches assessment on this one. I just can't get over the fact he's never averaged over 7ppg in a lower-level JUCO league at 7'1", 265lbs. Heck, the majority of Centres at the JUCO level are just 6'7" or 6'8"(anyone taller gets recruited). Having said that, maybe we're just looking for a defensive presence in the low post who can relieve Sacre when called upon.

A brief scouting report on Michel from TSSF(read the rest HERE (http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2008/12/12/690748/scouting-report-on-2010-pr)):

Positives: The first thing that you notice when watching Guy-Marc is that he is very fluid for a 7'1 athlete. He runs the floor with ease, and I even it even looks like he is gliding when he runs the court. This was a pleasant surprise, as many guys his size tend to labor when they are forced to run the court. With the up-tempo system that Gonzaga employs, he would be able to get many easy baskets in transition. The area where Guy-Marc really thrives is on the defensive end of the court. He uses his great size and tremendous wing-span to guard every shot that is taken. He also possesses excellent timing on his shot-blocking which allows for him to deflect many shots that other players his size wouldn't. It is clear he is most comfortable on this end of the court, as he is very vocal with his teammates, and controls everything in the paint. Michel is also a fundamentally solid rebounder. Immediately after any shot goes up, he locates a body and boxes out the man. I believe that just based on his defensive ability, Guy-Marc could contribute solid minutes to the GU team this season.

Negatives: While there is no denying the tremendous force that Guy-Marc is on the defensive end, his offensive game is about as raw as I have seen. While he is vocal and confident with his teammates on the defensive side, Michel appears to be timid and doesn't demand the ball in the set offense. The NIC was frustrating to watch, because many times, Michel would only receive the ball at the top of the key, where he was clearly uncomfortable. The interesting aspect of Michel's offensive game is that he actually has a decent post game. There were two separate occasions where NIC was able to get Michel isolated with his back-to-the-basket, and both times he was able to finish with ease. I was most impressed by a beautiful baby hook he was able to score over his defender from the left block. It seemed that he could hit this shot any time he wanted, but instead he allowed himself to be a bystander in the NIC offense.

Conclusion: It was clear to see why the Gonzaga coaching staff is so interested in Guy-Marc Michel for the class of 2010. He is a 7 footer who is blessed with great athleticism and lots of natural ability. In the stands tonight was Gonzaga coach Tommy Lloyd as well as Austin Daye and Ira Brown, and you better believe that Lloyd was scouting every move that Michel made. He would be a tremendous asset to this program in the class of 2010, and along with Sam Dower, Andy Poling, Rob Sacre, and potentially Daequon Montreal, there would be tremendous depth at the PF and C position. The games against CSI on January 30th and 31st should be a great opportunity to see how Michel matches up with one of the top JC bigs in the country.

Bogozags
04-09-2010, 06:36 AM
OT: I miss the days when basketball players were guards, forwards and centers.

Isn't that the same era as the canvas, high top, Chuck Connors Converse "tennis shoe?"

WeSayZed
04-09-2010, 06:50 AM
I suppose the most logical guess would be French big-man, ... Guy-Marc Michel (http://rivals.yahoo.com/kentstate/basketball/recruiting/player-Guy-Marc-Michel-103966).

Centre seems to be the obvious need, and I believe we have the option of redshirting this guy as well. Maybe a year of good coaching and playing against Rob, Sam and Kelly in practice would be the best thing for him and us.

ZagLawGrad
04-09-2010, 06:55 AM
Isn't that the same era as the canvas, high top, Chuck Connors Converse "tennis shoe?"

That would be the one. Alcindor/Jabbar, the Big O, Reed, Frazier. Tough guys with fundamentals.

theman.themyth.thelegend
04-09-2010, 07:02 AM
Centre seems to be the obvious need, and I believe we have the option of redshirting this guy as well. Maybe a year of good coaching and playing against Rob, Sam and Kelly in practice would be the best thing for him and us.

A redshirt year! Of course.

Great idea. Considering G-MM didn't even touch a basketball until he was 17, a year of proper coaching and intense practices against really good post players would be extremely beneficial. There is no denying this "Guy":) has all the tools at 7'1", 265lbs, athletic, and has a naturally strong build to boot. If we RS him, he'd be a tremendous prospect/player for us in the next year or two. No need to play him next season since our rotation is already 10+ players.

With a RS year, Ronny Turiaf Part Deux, perhaps?

thespywhozaggedme
04-09-2010, 07:49 AM
I suppose the most logical guess would be French big-man, Guy-Marc Michel (http://rivals.yahoo.com/kentstate/basketball/recruiting/player-Guy-Marc-Michel-103966).

He's been heavily discussed on the board before and is a 7'1", 265lb Centre playing for North Idaho CC over in Coeur d'Alene. He currently holds offers from Colorado, Rutgers, and Gonzaga. From recent reports, it sounds as if the interest level remains for this kid. There is no doubt he is extremely raw and a "project" on the offensive end who has never averaged over 7 ppg in the past two seasons, but does block shots and rebounds at a high level.

Personally, I'd like to see another player fill the available spot, b/c G-MM sounds eerily similar to Mammery Diallo before he arrived on campus, but I'll trust the Coaches assessment on this one. I just can't get over the fact he's never averaged over 7ppg in a lower-level JUCO league at 7'1", 265lbs. Heck, the majority of Centres at the JUCO level are just 6'7" or 6'8"(anyone taller gets recruited). Having said that, maybe we're just looking for a defensive presence in the low post who can relieve Sacre when called upon.

A brief scouting report on Michel from TSSF(read the rest HERE (http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2008/12/12/690748/scouting-report-on-2010-pr)):

I initially thought him too because of GZ's post in French, but then he linked the Canadian national anthem, and Guys is not Canadian. So, if we're talking for this season the only Canadians that I can think of are EM, (but there's just no room for him), and the All American juco combo guard Kurt Alexander, who does complement Marquis. However if I misread GZ's post and he didn't mean this year, but future recruits, than the obvious Canadian recruits are Wiltjer and Pangos and one or both may verbal soon. Of course, GZ could be alluding to the biggest upset of all and Mickey D's pg Corey Joseph is gonna stun the world and sign with us (I know, I know.......I'm kidding ;) ). So, in the end, we know it's another Canadian, we just don't know which one. Guess, we'll have to wait until Wednesday.

CDC84
04-09-2010, 08:23 AM
Gonzaga stopped recruiting Guy-Marc awhile ago.

He's not good enough. I've seen him. Never will be good enough.

U Zig, I Zag
04-09-2010, 01:17 PM
I'm all for a couple of them rough and tumble Aussies showing up on campus. Even with those ugly mouthguards.

Delly is OK. Probably be real good sooner than later - but it seems like GU gets/is going after better, bigger, faster players. I am not sure that someone like Ben Allen would have played for GU (sounds like I am dissing them, but not really - just given our lineup vs. SMC's). Stiendl (the one that fluffs the back of his head during play stoppages, sometimes during play) wouldn't have seen any PT over Matt, Steven, Meech, Manny, Kong (?), etc.. would he have?

I just think we are going for bigger and better players - Cuse can't happen again and God bless SMC for the precision and smart play but they stood no chance against Baylor. Not saying we throw everything out the window and give up on the types of student athletes we have had, but we need BIG, ATHLETIC and COACH-ABLE - hopefully good kids, as well.

Is there an Aussie super-stud out there on our radar?

alldaye
04-09-2010, 02:07 PM

How many college teams have 2 'legit' centers? Not many. Duke had 1, Butler had 0. It'd be great, but it isn't worth using a scholarship on GMM

BobZag
04-09-2010, 02:23 PM
I'd be surprised if Guy-Marc became a Zag, but again, nothing shocks me anymore.

Das Zagger
04-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Canadians can be All Americans?

What?

snebzag
04-09-2010, 06:46 PM
"How many college teams have 2 'legit' centers? Not many. Duke had 1, Butler had 0. It'd be great, but it isn't worth using a scholarship on GMM"

Gonzaga had Will and Rob last year. I just don't want to see RS get injured and someone forced to play out of position the rest of the year. GMM is not an option, never said so, never even thought it. We are deep enough at all other spots as long as all stay for next year. I just think a backup Center with potential would not be a bad idea or waste of a scholie. I look back at Josh playing the middle for a year and thinking how much more effective he could have been at power forward. I'm praying for a big man, I mean, uh, to come to Gonzaga and back up Rob.