PDA

View Full Version : Marquise Carter commits!

northsidezagfan
04-08-2010, 11:35 AM
to Gonzaga according to a tweet from slipper still fits.

LynetteG
04-08-2010, 11:38 AM
hurray! glad to know my inner-gypsy is still intact! congrats to Marquise, I hope he is very happy here!

007Zag
04-08-2010, 11:41 AM
excellent!

Salsageek
04-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Woohoo!!! :000tens: Welcome to the family.

SLOZag
04-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Jim Meecham online at 11:18 am:

"Three Rivers Community College guard Marquise Carter said Thursday he has verbally committed to the Gonzaga men’s basketball program.

"It was no secret Gonzaga’s first priority in recruiting was a guard. The 6-foot-4 Carter, who played point guard while leading Three Rivers (Poplar Bluff, Mo.) to a runner-up finish at the national tournament in Hutchinson, Kan,, was an NJCAA first-team All-American this season and a second-team selection last season. Carter scored 35 points in Three Rivers’ overtime loss to Howard in the NJCAA title game.

"Carter is the first commitment of GU’s 2010 class.

"I just spoke to Carter and I’ll have a story up in about 45 minutes or so."

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2010/apr/08/guard-marquise-carter-commits-gu/

BlueVoodoo07
04-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Gonzaga nation on hearing the news=:) :D
Meech on hearing the news=:mecry:

CDC84
04-08-2010, 11:50 AM
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/040810aac.html

An assistant coach has resigned......

theothegreat21
04-08-2010, 11:51 AM

Can we please not have a Meech bash....please!!!! Lets just enjoy this great news and be excited at the numerous options this team will have next season in the back court. No point at all for your post.

BlueVoodoo07
04-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Can we please not have a Meech bash....please!!!! Lets just enjoy this great news and be excited at the numerous options this team will have next season in the back court. No point at all for your post.

You know what I didn't say anything wrong or bash Meech, so to say there is no point at all to my post is wrong. My point is to have fun is that not what this is all about. And for the record I bet Meech isn't that excited.

cjm720
04-08-2010, 12:04 PM

Dude, Meech is the starter...if you intend on bashing players look at the guards that played behind Meech all year. Carter, hopefully, will lessen the scoring blow by Matt's departure as well as push Meech, GJ, GG.

Welcome Marquise Carter!!! Train hard and best of luck.

Go Zags!!

spudzag
04-08-2010, 12:04 PM
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/040810aac.html

An assistant coach has resigned......

Wheels are completely off this bus!

Kong-Kool-Aid
04-08-2010, 12:05 PM
I wonder if he's wanted to be a Zag for some time?

Check out this old story...

Pretty cool if this helped us land him. (http://www.i95ballerz.com/story%20-%20marquise%20carter.html)

BlueVoodoo07
04-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Dude, Meech is the starter...if you intend on bashing players look at the guards that played behind Meech all year. He will lessen the scoring blow by Matt's departure as well as push Meech, GJ, GG.

Welcome Marquise Carter!!! Train hard and best of luck.

Go Zags!!
You guys are are really funny, When did I say that Meech wouldn't start, and I didn't know that this :mecry: = bashing. Wow I need to look into these symbols more.

Jedster
04-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Great get for GU! It is going to be a long off-season waiting to start this fall. I can't wait!

U Zig, I Zag
04-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Wheels are completely off this bus!

Saw Goodman's tweet earlier today and thought, 'welcome aboard Marquise!'. :lmao:

Time to update the pre-season poll articles, sportswriters. they all currently say Newcomers: none.

thespywhozaggedme
04-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Excellent news; lets see if he can wrestle the starting pg spot away from Meech.

cjm720
04-08-2010, 12:11 PM
You guys are are really funny, When did I say that Meech wouldn't start, and I didn't know that this :mecry: = bashing. Wow I need to look into these symbols more.

Do you actually believe yourself? :confused:

BlueVoodoo07
04-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Do you actually believe yourself? :confused:

Believe what? Grow up.

LongIslandZagFan
04-08-2010, 12:15 PM
At 6'4" did anyone stop to think that maybe... just perhaps... he could fill Matt's shoes (6'5") at SG and have Meech/GJ playing point and Gray playing the 3? I agree in some sense that Meech will most likely not be happy another PG (at least relative to what he is playing now) was brought in. BTW I am with Voodoo on this one... Meech not being happy about it ain't remotely the same thing as bashing.

RockandRollJames
04-08-2010, 12:16 PM
At 6'4" did anyone stop to think that maybe... just perhaps... he could fill Matt's shoes (6'5") at SG and have Meech/GJ playing point and Gray playing the 3?

I don't think anyone wants that.

LongIslandZagFan
04-08-2010, 12:25 PM
I don't think anyone wants that.

IMHO it makes sense. He can play point at times but his main priority would be to score... like Gray. I think it would be the best way for him to get acclimated to the system.

Kiddwell
04-08-2010, 12:26 PM
:) :) Great news! Glad we got 'im! Welcome aboard, Marquise! :) :)

One mystery down, one to go: D1 Transfer? European? Ahh, the off-season!

:]

MDABE80
04-08-2010, 12:26 PM
If he's good enough to play as well as Matt, I'd like that. If he's good at the point, I'd like that too. Unknown is if Meech will do the work to improve his shooting and other skills. Meech is pretty young...he might surprise all of us. Not giving up just yet. WHatever's best for the team will work for me. Gibbs will be muchimproved too. One thing's sure, Grant Gibbs will do the work he needs to be a good player. I have no doubt that Grant's next few years will be surprising. But, for now, Marquis should help and he won't hurt things.

primal23
04-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Great news! A shooter PG! WOW how I have missed seeing that lol

misszigzag
04-08-2010, 12:29 PM
At 6'4" did anyone stop to think that maybe... just perhaps... he could fill Matt's shoes (6'5") at SG and have Meech/GJ playing point and Gray playing the 3?

This is what I was envisioning as well. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Welcome aboard Marquise :)

karloslonn
04-08-2010, 12:33 PM

I agree because if Carter does end up with the starting job then Meech will be great to have coming off the bench.

surfmonkey89
04-08-2010, 12:39 PM
There should be no reason to bash anyone. The fact is that we were losing our only senior starter at the position that needed the most shoring up to begin with, so this is a huge get.

Regardless of whether or not he starts - or who he starts for - having a quality guard join the team should make everyone better, which is all you can hope for.

Zag 77
04-08-2010, 12:56 PM
The whole JC recruit thing makes it imperative he gets to GU this summer for reasons of getting up to speed academically and also so he can get to know the rest of the team quickly. I am sure Few would not have chosen him if the bulk of the team had any qualms about him. Team Chemistry has always been important for Few's teams.

As for how things develop for Meech, GJ, GG etc., I would just say that things in the past have always sorted themselves out, and not just by way of guys leaving. Roles may change, and that is where the coaches earn their salaries. Let us let them do their job and show a little faith.

madness
04-08-2010, 01:08 PM
It's interesting that he didn't play AAU ball and so many coach's missed seeing him.

Welcome to Gonzaga! Hopefully he will enroll to summer school and start playing pickup with the team soon.

gozagswoohoo
04-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Does we gots any video of the kid?

ZagNative
04-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Does we gots any video of the kid?

Video from the NJCAA Tourney (http://www.njcaa.org/tv/)

Look for the Three Rivers video

SteeleMan
04-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Who was the last JC recruit to commit and play for the Zags?

JP?

Who are others?

ellenvega
04-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Awesome.

jimmy b
04-08-2010, 01:22 PM
that contributed besides JP were Anthony Reason, Alex Hernandez, Q Hall...

thespywhozaggedme
04-08-2010, 01:24 PM

JP?

Who are others?

Abduilliah Kuso, Mammery Diallo

Reborn
04-08-2010, 01:25 PM
If you look through BZ's threads from a couple of weeks ago you will see videos of about 4 of his games in the National Junior College tournament. I watched 3 of those games and was very impressed with him. He is a point guard and can really distribute the ball well. I was more impressed with his passing and defensive skills more then shooting, but he can shoot better than Meech for sure. This isn't Meeech bashing, it's Meech facts. And as I've said, Meech can't play the kind of great D we saw from Butler and Duke. Obviously, Mark Few saw a need for Marquise Carter. Welcome, Mr. Carter.

I'm exicted about Carter coming to Gonzaga, and a first team JC player is a good recruit from what I've seen at GU before, although I have yet to see a guard come in from the JC ranks. I'm referreing to JP Bautista, Kuso and even Ira Brown. IMO, this kid is a winner, and we can always find room for a guy like him.

dnj116
04-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Glad to hear we have a shooting PG coming in. In my opinion, I believe that we will see one of Meech/GJ/GG transfer now. Four PG's fighting for playing time. I do not think it will be Meech, he already had a season of starting and is probably too far along now to consider the move. GJ is young enough to consider it (although I certainly hope he stays). GG could slide over to playing the 2 (as could Carter) which would leave him fighting for minutes with others. Just speculation, but I certainly can see one of those three leaving in the coming months and it will not be Meech.

WYZag
04-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Ahhhhhh I can't wait for next year already!

VinnyZag
04-08-2010, 01:48 PM

Ira! was the most recent, but his JC was Division II if I recall correctly.

thespywhozaggedme
04-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Ira! was the most recent, but his JC was Division II if I recall correctly.

You do.

SWZag
04-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Welcome to the GU Family!

(I should say "Welcome to the dysfunctional family by the way some of these posts are going)

SWZag

Reborn
04-08-2010, 02:06 PM
A dysfunction family is NOT a family which has individuals who can think for themselves and express themselves without fear. A dysfunctional family is a family that punishes, including verbal, their family members for being indedpendent thinkers.

dnj116
04-08-2010, 02:07 PM
From the Jim Meehan Blog (http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2010/apr/08/more-carter/#more)on Spokesman review:

Three Rivers Community College point guard Marquise Carter has verbally committed to the Gonzaga men’s basketball program.

The 6-foot-4, 180-pound Carter averaged 17.9 points, 5.5 assists and 4.3 rebounds for Three Rivers (Poplar Bluff, Mo.), which lost to Howard 85-80 in overtime in the NJCAA championship game. Carter was named NJCAA first-team All-American after earning second-team honors last season.

Carter made 43 percent of his field-goal attempts, 38 percent of 3-pointers and 85 percent at the free-throw line.

Carter visited Gonzaga’s campus two weeks ago. He is the first commitment of the Bulldogs’ 2010 class. Skyview High (Nampa, Idaho) guard Kyle Dranginis, who committed to Gonzaga in January, is in the 2011 class.

“My visit went really well,” said Carter, who played at Horizon High in San Diego. “I connected with the players and the coaches. I just felt like it was a place I needed to be. I feel by being there I can graduate, get my degree and be successful on the court.”

Carter said he had scholarship offers from Oklahoma and Wichita State. Carter’s older brother, Nate, played at UC-Riverside before transferring to Oklahoma for his final two seasons. He’s currently playing professionally in France.

“Everybody was telling me I needed to go on more visits, but my brother is a big influence on me and he gives me his opinion,” said Carter, who canceled his visit to Oklahoma after committing to the Bulldogs. “He told me if you go on a visit, you’ll feel it and you’ll know. When I went to Gonzaga, everything felt right for me.”

Carter led Three Rivers to a 30-7 record, including the 1,100th career win for 40-year head coach Gene Bess. The Raiders won the Region 16 title and defeated Monroe, Northwest Florida and Navarro at the NJCAA Tournament before falling in the title game. Carter scored 35 points against Howard and was the tournament’s second-leading scorer at 22.8 points per game.

“He’s really hard to guard 1-on-1,” said Three Rivers assistant coach Brian Bess, Gene’s son. “He shoots it well enough, a set 3-point shot that keeps you honest, and he’s really good on runners, floaters, in-between shots, and at getting to the basket and finishing.”

Gonzaga loses guard Matt Bouldin and returns back-court starters Steven Gray and Demetri Goodson.

“I think they see him as a guy that can come in and push the ball up and get them into their offense,” Bess said.

Carter redshirted his first season at Three Rivers. As a freshman, he averaged 14.5 points and 4.5 assists.

“I really like to get to the basket and I can shoot the ball pretty well, but I like getting my teammates involved,” Carter said. “I try to get the ball to the players who can finish.”

theman.themyth.thelegend
04-08-2010, 02:07 PM
This is great news!

Marquise will see immediate playing time at PG. Book it.

This kid is the real deal.

In HS, he chose to skip the AAU circuit and work with his coach and attend bball clinics to advance his game.

He averaged 21ppg, 6apg, 6rpg, 1.6spg at Horizon HS in San Diego, CA. He also shot 40% from 3pt with over 100 attempts. IMPRESSIVE!

Not sure if many realize, Marquise is known, even heralded, for his trademark mid-range floaters given his soft touch. This will be a breath of fresh air in our system. Remember Dickau's floaters over the defense? Also, Crazy Legs has great vision and was a student of the game while at Three Rivers(see his 6apg & 2 steals per game). He can shoot the perimeter shot with consistency(near 40% at JUCO level), and can penetrate the lane

Marquise HS STATS (http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/VT5_d32ZPE-n0kbPKc3wOw/basketball-winter-06-07/stats-marquise-carter.htm)

Right when Marquise committed to Three Rivers, ESPN labeled him the "best remaining guard in his class". Also calling him an "extremely solid mid-major level PG". That was 2 years ago...

Since then, MC has been named to Pre-season and post-season 1st Team All-American teams and played in JUCO National Championship game and was the leading scorer. He was 2nd-team All-American during his 1st year as well.

I've read all the posts/threads about Marquise and I'll tell you, once he learns Few's complicated sets, it'll be all over, b/c he will be the starting PG by next season's end. He just simply brings too much to the table from the guard position not to be playing--and that goes for any team. He has been a tremendous scorer, shooter, passer, defender since his HS days and its only improved. He is versatile with his height as well and his touch inside the arc is innate.

Huge get for the Zags and thank goodness we beat out Oklahoma for his services.

CDC84
04-08-2010, 02:11 PM
What's odd about Carter's commitment is that Gonzaga now has two point guards on their roster that they beat Oklahoma on. Meech was also offered by OU:

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=3276216

theman.themyth.thelegend
04-08-2010, 02:15 PM
and he’s[Marquise] really good on runners, floaters, in-between shots, and at getting to the basket and finishing.”

Didn't even see this posted before commenting on Marquise's well-known ability to hit runners and floaters with ease. Its his trademark, if you will. MC has always has an uncanny ability to utilize the floater once he gets in the lane and it nearly always goes in. This will be utilized in our offense next season b/c he's so good at executing the classic runner/floater from the guard position. Marquise knows when to go to the rim to draw and foul or finish and knows when to "float" the ball over the post for a score. Zag fans beware, just realize he has amazing touch, which leads to 75% of his scoring opportunities. Of course, he can pass, shoot, defend as well.

cjm720
04-08-2010, 02:20 PM
I love this quote: “I really like to get to the basket and I can shoot the ball pretty well, but I like getting my teammates involved,” Carter said. “I try to get the ball to the players who can finish.”

For clarification, I believe Carter wasn't a 1st Team All-American this year.

He's a two time 2nd Teamer...not too bad!!!

http://www.njcaa.org/newsArticle.cfm?articleId=11022

theman.themyth.thelegend
04-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Diego’s Carter Lights Up The East Coast

December 28, 2006 – Around 10 days ago, Horizon High School ventured cross country from San Diego, CA to participate in the Gonzaga DC Classic. Many flocked to Gonzaga’s Washington, D.C. campus and American University’s Bender Arena to see Horizon's present junior center and future Louisville Cardinal, Jeff Withey. Everyone who saw the team play left with major respect for his teammate, Marquise Carter.

Carter, a 6’3”, 180lb senior combo guard was on fire during Classic play, dropping 25, 32, and 33 points, which helped Horizon capture the event’s third place standing and all tournament honors personally. Along the way, Marquise not only attacked the rim, but stopped and popped, fast-breaked, as well as trey-balled his foes almost at will.

Horizon's Marquise Carter easily made the Gonzaga DC Classic all-tournament team.

One would expect a young man who can score and defend in the manner Carter can, and meets NCAA eligibility requirements to boot, would have a plethora of college scholarships to choose from. Strangely enough, he doesn’t.

Horizon’s second year head coach, Waheed Mitchell, shared Howard, Liberty, UNLV, Cal State Bernadino, and Northeastern have expressed interest, but no school has tendered a schollie offer to date. According to him, this is due to Marquise not playing AAU basketball, though it’s not as if Carter doesn’t work on his game. “Once the circuits start, he just does individuals with me” said Horizon’s coach.

Carter acknowledged this as well. “I was looking for an AAU team, but it didn’t work out” he recalled. “I guess God has another plan for me”.

That kind of patience and faith is evidenced in Marquise’s approach to basketball. “I try and wait for things to come to me” is how he described it.

Wise words for a young man. After this season at Horizon, in which Mitchell shared Carter is currently averaging “about 22 points, seven to eight assists, six rebounds, and 2 steals”, expect Marquise to major in Sociology.

The question is… where? It’s a query that not only befuddles Mitchell – the young man’s coach his entire high school career - but everybody who has seen Marquise play.

“Whoever gets this kid is getting a steal” said Horizon’s coach. We at i95Ballerz.com concur.

Marquise unexpectadely lights up East Coast Tourney (http://www.i95ballerz.com/story%20-%20marquise%20carter.html)

ZagNative
04-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Nice research, MML. Thanks for sharing.

TexasZagFan
04-08-2010, 02:28 PM
JMO, but I see Marquise and Meech complementing each other. Meech has a lot of pride in his game, and I expect him to improve considerably over the next 6 months.

Grant and GJ appear to be the odd men out, unless they both take their games higher.

I kind of like the idea of a Meech/Manny combo off the bench. The energy these two would bring could ignite runs where a small lead is pushed to 12-15 points in the middle of the first half.

Mr Vulture
04-08-2010, 02:49 PM
I think that Meech will still be the starter and Carter will be the first guy off the bench. I believe that Manny will be the starter at the 3 with Steven at the 2. I also believe that GJ will see time at the point as well. The guy that I think may have a hard time finding minutes is Gibbs.

thespywhozaggedme
04-08-2010, 02:57 PM
This is great news!

Marquise will see immediate playing time at PG. Book it.

This kid is the real deal.

In HS, he chose to skip the AAU circuit and work with his coach and attend bball clinics to advance his game.

He averaged 21ppg, 6apg, 6rpg, 1.6spg at Horizon HS in San Diego, CA. He also shot 40% from 3pt with over 100 attempts. IMPRESSIVE!

Not sure if many realize, Marquise is known, even heralded, for his trademark mid-range floaters given his soft touch. This will be a breath of fresh air in our system. Remember Dickau's floaters over the defense? Also, Crazy Legs has great vision and was a student of the game while at Three Rivers(see his 6apg & 2 steals per game). He can shoot the perimeter shot with consistency(near 40% at JUCO level), and can penetrate the lane

Marquise HS STATS (http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/VT5_d32ZPE-n0kbPKc3wOw/basketball-winter-06-07/stats-marquise-carter.htm)

Right when Marquise committed to Three Rivers, ESPN labeled him the "best remaining guard in his class". Also calling him an "extremely solid mid-major level PG". That was 2 years ago...

Since then, MC has been named to Pre-season and post-season 1st Team All-American teams and played in JUCO National Championship game and was the leading scorer. He was 2nd-team All-American during his 1st year as well.

I've read all the posts/threads about Marquise and I'll tell you, once he learns Few's complicated sets, it'll be all over, b/c he will be the starting PG by next season's end. He just simply brings too much to the table from the guard position not to be playing--and that goes for any team. He has been a tremendous scorer, shooter, passer, defender since his HS days and its only improved. He is versatile with his height as well and his touch inside the arc is innate.

Huge get for the Zags and thank goodness we beat out Oklahoma for his services.

Man this post fired me up! I can't wait to hear first hand reports on him.

BobZag
04-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Love the competition for backcourt playing time next season. It should bring out the best in everybody. Practices will be something to watch, and every game will demand great efforts.

thespywhozaggedme
04-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Love the competition for backcourt playing time next season. It should bring out the best in everybody. Practices will be something to watch, and every game will demand great efforts.

And we expect detailed reports.:)

alldaye
04-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Great! Seems to be just the player we need. I'm glad to here of his touch and midrange game, because that is so often missing in a player these days.

Ezag
04-08-2010, 04:42 PM
If you look through BZ's threads from a couple of weeks ago you will see videos of about 4 of his games in the National Junior College tournament. I watched 3 of those games and was very impressed with him. He is a point guard and can really distribute the ball well. I was more impressed with his passing and defensive skills more then shooting, but he can shoot better than Meech for sure. This isn't Meeech bashing, it's Meech facts. And as I've said, Meech can't play the kind of great D we saw from Butler and Duke. Obviously, Mark Few saw a need for Marquise Carter. Welcome, Mr. Carter.

I agree, Few saw the need for a PG and he got one. I watched those videos and Carter can shoot. He defense looks to be as good, plus he CAN pass and shoot.

deathchina
04-08-2010, 06:16 PM
I think KO is gonna get plenty of time regardless, unless we bring on another JUCO big man. We've only got Sacre, Dower, and KO as true "bigs", and KO is questionable as he has some perimeter instincts.

Keep in mind there's only one piece of cake(minutes) for the coaches to cut up, so some of the players the board may be in love with won't end up producing like some are expecting. Carter brings something to the table that the Zags haven't had since Raivio departed the program, which is somebody who can run the point and hit free throws. This will give him an advantage over the returning players, which I think puts him in position to claim at least the first back up position at the point.

I think with the addition of Dower and Carter that these players need to dedicate themselves over the summer in order to wow the coaches, or else lose their playing time:

Meech
GJ Vilarino
Grant Gibbs
Bol Kong
Kelly Olynyk

With the coaches wanting to add one more player, I'm interested in seeing what it will do to the dynamic of the team. Carter is a great addition to the back court, and what he adds to the point position coupled with the improvement of the returning players puts this team on an equal level as last year's team. Now it's time for some players to blow up and come back ready better than ever, so the Zags will once again be the top team in the west.

theman.themyth.thelegend
04-08-2010, 06:34 PM
The Oklahoma board offers a scouting report for Marquise Carter:

Marquise Carter, Guard - 3/30/10

The Good: High offensive IQ. I love the fact that his whole game is to try and create the post-entry pass. That's not something you see in Juco ball, which is alot like AAU basketball in the fact that everyone is out for themselves. He takes what the defense gives him. If the back off of him he'll take a shot or eliminate the cushion and suck in the defender of shoot a runner. He keeps the ball moving on the perimeter. He didn't overdribble. When he did overdribble, it was in attempts to set up the post. He's real crafty. Defensively, he's not great, but he understand basic pg responsibilities like being the first man back on defense. He's also a very good rebounding guard and rebounds pretty good in the paint. Usually good rebounding guards generally get rebounds on long jumpers. I liked his leadership aspect. Talks on the court, picks teammates up when they need it.

Bad: Marquise's measurement seem to be a little off. Doesn't seem to be 6'4. Seems more like 6'2. He doesn't come off as overly athletic. Doesnt have an explosive first step. TMG, is a guard that sometimes looks like he's shot out of a Cannon. Carter doesnt have that. He's going to need two or three dribbles to beat his man off the dribble and that's too many. For a pg, you want a one dribble move and a blow by. Doesn't shoot well off the move. If he catches off the move, he has a hard time gathering himself and shooting a form perfect shot. He seems to be just an average shooter. Shoots better when he gets he feet set like everyone. Defensively, he has a long ways to go. He doesn't put alot of pressure on the ball. I suspect that is because he has sacrificied doing that because of getting beat. He also doesn't put alot of pressure in the passing lane. He has a very difficult time against screens. He doesn't understand that you need to post the high screener so you can slide by him so you can cut off your man when he makes his move to the bucket. One problem he has, which is a problem that OU guards had all last year, is that he's reactive to the pass instead of being proactive. By that I mean wen a perimeter pass is made, he's so far off the ball that he's running to close out instead of snapping on the pass and playing one pass away defense. He's playing one and a half passes away. Overall, he doesn't have very good defensive awareness.

Overall view: It's obvious why he got overlooked, because he's not athletically like most pgs. However, to me it was like looking at Terrell Everett. Almost a clone of TE. The ballhandling, the setting up the floor, managing the offensive end of the court, and almost identical to TE. Basically I like him a lot on the offensive end. Defensively, some of his errors are correctable. His approach on the high screen can be corrected and his he can learn one pass away defensive approaches to add a little pressure in the passing lane. On ball defense is probably someting that can't be corrected as quickly.

RenoZag
04-08-2010, 08:02 PM

I would bet Meech isn't the least bit sad. I suspect he's thinking "Bring It On !"

He'll work hard in the off-season and come back to Fall practice with 'something to prove.' If he loses his starting spot, it will be due to coming up short in the competition staged at practices.

Given our recent track record with Juco players, I wouldn't annoint any newcomer as the "second coming."

BlueVoodoo07
04-08-2010, 08:08 PM
I would bet Meech isn't the least bit sad. I suspect he's thinking "Bring It On !"

He'll work hard in the off-season and come back to Fall practice with 'something to prove.' If he loses his starting spot, it will be due to coming up short in the competition staged at practices.

Given our recent track record with Juco players, I wouldn't annoint any newcomer as the "second coming."

wasn't jp a transfer

ZagLawGrad
04-08-2010, 08:23 PM
...I wouldn't annoint any newcomer as the "second coming."

I'm with Reno on this point.

Let's see what the kid has against top level competition before we start moving others down the bench. Last I understood, North Idaho College (as an example) was/is a JC program---hardly a place to find players who belong on Top 25 teams.

RenoZag
04-08-2010, 08:45 PM
wasn't jp a transfer

one in a row isn't a trend

BroncoZAG615
04-08-2010, 08:46 PM
one in a row isn't a trend

I'll take another Kuso please

ZagNative
04-08-2010, 08:54 PM
I'll take another Kuso pleaseLove Kuso, but it took him a while to find his niche on the team. As he said on his interview with Greg Heister on The Mark Few show (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql-zic6_7sc), he didn't listen very well at first ... It was the same show that he spilled the truth to the world about his road roommate Pendo's troubling fetish about changing his socks multiple times daily.

ZagLawGrad
04-08-2010, 09:06 PM

The competition will be a definite plus.

Hoopaholic
04-08-2010, 09:28 PM
proof will be in the pudding.....take a look at the freshman this year and how long it took them to get "comfortable" in our offensive sets, then couple that with his average at best defensive abilities I am not sold at this point he is the second coming of Stockton or Dickau for that matter...

He will provide competition and competitionis ALWAYS good as day in day out fight improves our players and keeps them sharp.

I have a sneaky feeling that we will see MC at the 2 for spurts during a game and some pg at times and IF he challenges for a starting spot I would be shock if it was before WCC season....something tells me (little birdie?) that Meech is already working on his newly found and accepted role and the ball will be in his hands in the half court set alot more than we saw this year

But no matter what, the team will be better and the "cream" always rises to the top so we shall sit back and watch as the "stirring" action begins for real....wow what an off season already.....when is tipoff???

LynetteG
04-08-2010, 09:33 PM
meech cannot play 40 minutes, so obviously he'd need someone who can back him up. i can't see him being upset at all. in fact, i'll bet he is excited to show this guy the ropes, since he is the experienced zag.

BlueVoodoo07
04-08-2010, 10:08 PM
meech cannot play 40 minutes, so obviously he'd need someone who can back him up. i can't see him being upset at all. in fact, i'll bet he is excited to show this guy the ropes, since he is the experienced zag.
And GJ wasnt there to back him up? Trust me when a guy comes in that can threaten your spot in any sport, you may still be nice and "show him the ropes" but any guy playing D1 sports is also very competitive, so trust me when I am sure Meech would like to also "show him the bench".

Zag79
04-09-2010, 03:12 AM
Glad to hear we have a shooting PG coming in. In my opinion, I believe that we will see one of Meech/GJ/GG transfer now. Four PG's fighting for playing time.

i dont. GG is a 2, he wont ever be our PG. meech will start, with GJ subbing him. carter will earn his time, but it wont be this year.

great post, i fully agree. and bluevoodoo, did meech upest you personally? you have to be hung up on him for a reason other than hoops. zzz...

Birddog
04-09-2010, 06:43 AM
This may have something to do with it.
http://guboards.com/showthread.php?t=28436

Zagsker
04-09-2010, 09:39 AM
I think that Meech will still be the starter and Carter will be the first guy off the bench. I believe that Manny will be the starter at the 3 with Steven at the 2. I also believe that GJ will see time at the point as well. The guy that I think may have a hard time finding minutes is Gibbs.

obviously you missed the memo: Grant Gibbs is the next Blake Stepp

:D

Mr Vulture
04-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Somewhere in the middle of my TPS reports...:D

Fonebone
04-09-2010, 12:25 PM
So, what is the range of time for a point guard to learn our system well enough to do a good job at the point ? Probably being a Juco transfer with more experience than a true freshman should cut the time down some. Certainly it depends a lot on the player, but it seems like it is going to take a big chunk of the season for him to run the point with confidence.

MDABE80
04-09-2010, 06:32 PM
“He told me if you go on a visit, you’ll feel it and you’ll know. When I went to Gonzaga, everything felt right for me.”
From Jim Meehan's article....this is what I meant when I wrote this above in this thread.. Seems like the kids just "know".....Carter's advice from his older brother.

U Zig, I Zag
04-10-2010, 03:03 PM
So, what is the range of time for a point guard to learn our system well enough to do a good job at the point ? Probably being a Juco transfer with more experience than a true freshman should cut the time down some. Certainly it depends a lot on the player, but it seems like it is going to take a big chunk of the season for him to run the point with confidence.

Personally, I don't think we ran much of an offense at times this year. It seemed too random - maybe there was something going on I wasn't seeing but there was not a lot of movement at times.

I think you can learn a lot in a few years of D1 ball but you can't teach the feel for passing and shooting. You can get better at both but there are kids 5 years younger someplace that do both better than you do. If this guy can walk in and CREATE from the point, scoring, passing, etc than the system will come to him. We are clamoring for a guy that make his own shot from the top of the key.... at 6'4" (6'2"??) and with the floater and good handles this kid can do it. I am stoked for this guy. We need an offensive threat from the point, period.

BobZag
04-10-2010, 06:07 PM

Anywhere from a couple months to a year. I'm sure he'll play some off-guard until he is fully ready for the point.

WeSayZed
04-10-2010, 08:05 PM
If we start him and play him with Gray then Gray can run the offence, and KO has shown good court vision and passing ability as well. You can ask the same question about GJ as well. Goodson wasn’t able to run the point even at the end of his sophomore year. My bet is that Gray will effectively be our pg on offence until GJ and Carter get up to speed.

Rim Rockah
04-10-2010, 08:25 PM
I can't seem to find any video on this kid. Can someone post a link? Thanks

billyberu
04-10-2010, 10:54 PM
I can't seem to find any video on this kid. Can someone post a link? Thanks

The search function would serve you well - as would reading the entire thread in which you could find said link. Since you're new, You get the benefit of the doubt.

http://www.njcaa.org/tv/

Scroll down and click on the archived games link for the NJCAA Basketball Tournament games. Marquise plays for Three Rivers.

While you're at it check this link too:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

thespywhozaggedme
04-10-2010, 11:26 PM
The search function would serve you well - as would reading the entire thread in which you could find said link. Since you're new, You get the benefit of the doubt.

Scroll down and click on the archived games link for the NJCAA Basketball Tournament games. Marquise plays for Three Rivers.

Sheesh, that was a little harsh to the new guy; not very welcoming. Things have gotten really snarky and mean spirited around here lately. :(

P.S. Welcome rr, glad to have ya.

NotoriousZ
04-11-2010, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by deathchina:
I think KO is gonna get plenty of time regardless, unless we bring on another JUCO big man. We've only got Sacre, Dower, and KO as true "bigs", and KO is questionable as he has some perimeter instincts.

Harris isn't going to move to the 3 full time for two reasons: the team will need him as a power forward for stretches, and there's guys who need minutes at the small forward position besides him. He'll play more small forward this season than last, but I can't picture him not playing some power forward.

Agree on Harris seeing time at the 4, maybe more than he wants. Dower, despite his size, didn't play like a power forward the few times we saw him early last season. He roamed the perimeter and took jump shots. Having another shooter will help, but Sacre and Harris are the only two bangers that I know of for next year. Maybe Sam's making progress in that area?

Anyway, welcome Mr. Carter! Glad to have have you with us.

MickMick
04-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Don't want this to be perceived in a negative way, but after watching Dower in the intra squad scrimmage, he seemed very "Heytvelt like".

He did go for a few defensive rebounds, but he was no where near the rim at the offensive end. When he did "bang" with players, he looked competent, but seemed to take "the path of least resistance" much like Josh did.

I guess it is up to Few to recognize Dower's strengths and put him into a position to succeed, but I have my doubts that he can displace Harris at the four position. My guess is that Dower, Olynyk, Harris, and Sacre will all be interchangeable parts and any combination of two will be on the court at any one time at the 4/5 positions.

If Kong elevates his game and becomes more aggresive on the offensive end, he just might be the guy that will become the number 1 substitute at the three position leaving Harris at the four for the majority of his minutes. This is how I think it will play out.

Saxon_zag
04-11-2010, 01:04 PM

######-like post

ZagAddict
04-11-2010, 01:38 PM

Rim Rockah's post was an innocent post by a first time poster on this board. What's your excuse BillyBeru for posting an arrogant and insensitive reply?

To Rim Rockah: Don't let this first-time response deter you from contributing in the future. Glad to have you aboard....

Birddog
04-11-2010, 03:17 PM
We are clamoring for a guy that make his own shot from the top of the key.... at 6'4" (6'2"??) and with the floater and good handles this kid can do it.

I think it's that floater that makes so many people think Marquise can walk on water.

FuManShoes
04-11-2010, 05:03 PM
The team-building has begun:

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr357/fumanshoes/Random/mannyfriends.jpg

mgadfly
04-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Don't want this to be perceived in a negative way, but after watching Dower in the intra squad scrimmage, he seemed very "Heytvelt like".

I'd love to have another 4 just like Josh. You'd think he didn't fill in at the "5" for us in our greatest hour of need an help lead our team to the Sweet-16 as a senior.

Center: Sacre -- KO -- Dower
Power Forward: Harris -- KO -- Dower

If Sacre is in he is the "5" that runs the floor whoever is matched with him is the "4" who inbounds the ball and runs the secondary-break high post position. The only question is who will be the "5" and who will be the "4" when it is KO and Dower on the floor.

Rim Rockah
04-12-2010, 11:59 AM

__________________________________________________ __________
Thanks dude. He's not as athletic as I thought he would be but he should fit the system and another scorer. Replacing Bouldin will be next to impossible but I think if we can get some depth. Having depth is always a plus.

mgadfly
04-12-2010, 07:08 PM
I don't know if Heytvelt was on the three side of the four, especially for college basketball. He was a 6'11" 260 lbs post player that played fundamentally sound defense both in the paint and on the perimeter. Offensively, he had a good midrange game, could score at the hoop (and had a ton of points from running the floor and finishing on the break or secondary break), and on occasion shot a three pointer (which forced big guys at Santa Clara and SMC into uncomfortable territory on the floor). From talk around here you'd think he never went inside and had hoisted up a hundred three pointers. When in fact, he took more shots inside the arc than Sacre did this year, only took 57 from behind the arc, made more freethrows and drew almost as many fouls as Sacre did. He had more rebounds (about 20% more), more points, shot a higher percentage (even including the three pointers), was a more efficient scorer, was a better freethrow shooter, stayed out of foul trouble better, and the list goes on.

Sacre blocked a few more shots and screamed louder when he made a big play.

I like big guys that can rebound and play with their back to the basket (Samhan and Bryant types), but I also like big guys that can run the floor and pull the opposing big man away from the hoop by being able to knock down a shot or two from distance. I like that Harris can do it all. Not everybody can though, and I'll take as many big guys like Heytvelt that the coaching staff can sign up. People who didn't like his style of play need to get over it and appreciate his accomplishments. Hopefully Sacre will take us to a Sweet 16 as well.