PDA

View Full Version : And next years biggest flaw may be...

pbriz
05-04-2007, 09:21 PM
turnovers. Pargo, Bouldin running the guard spots....

Just saw the statline for Daye.... 186 turnovers in 30 games...
http://www.maxpreps.com/FanPages/Player.mxp/AthleteID-d9cf29b5-7fbe-4188-b490-ef7c3bdca439/SchoolID-e692a17c-a4cb-4cdf-ad12-2fe4f047e7eb/Boys_Varsity_Basketball_Winter_06-07/California/AreaID-8e11e7d4-d3fa-4e6f-827f-652c29439d27

Anyone else think this could be a big issue?

CDC84
05-04-2007, 09:39 PM
I am not worried about Daye. I think his turnover issues will be cured with coaching, practice, experience and having better players around him. Like so many high schoolers, he can throw lazy passes at times, he's constantly double and triple teamed, etc.

As far as Pargo and Bouldin are concerned......I'm more concerned about assist to turnover ratio than total TO's or TO's per game. Bouldin had the best A/T ratio on the team: 1.51 to 1. Pargo was 1.41 to 1, but that was a significant improvement over his freshman year where he was just a TO machine much of the time.

There is little doubt that Pargo and Bouldin need to continue to improve their A/T ratios. That being said, my general theory is that players turn the ball over less (especially guards) as they become more and more experienced and more comfortable within an offensive system. I expect Pargo and Bouldin to continue to improve.

MickMick
05-04-2007, 09:49 PM
A better comparsion is freshman Bouldin to freshman Pargo. Then realize how much Pargo improved to understand the potential for Bouldin.

What Zag freshman outperformed Bouldin? Morrison could score, but was a shadow of his junior year. Stepp was outstanding but seemed to hit a ceiling (with respect to improvement).

I just think we all fail to realize the tremendous upside for Bouldin. In two years time, he may very well be regarded as the best passer in college basketball. By comparison, how many of you thought Morrison would eventually be regarded as the best scorer in college hoops (when watching his freshman campaign)?

RebornZag
05-05-2007, 01:03 AM
I would bet that most people who saw Adam Morrison play his Freshman year knew he was someone very special. He was better than Matt Bouldin, imo. But I've always been an Adam Mo fan. He's #1 on my Zag list.

tyra
05-05-2007, 05:21 AM
No doubt that Matt needs to work on his ball handling (typcial for a freshman) but I think he already is the best passer on the team. He has uncanny court vision. I'm not sure what standard are holding him to in his freshman year but it seems like people tend to judge him as though he had been in the program a while. My Gawd, people, he was an 18 year old kid going away to college for the first time and maintaining a brutal travel calendar against some of the best teams in the country. This kid is going to be an important part of Zag success in the next couple of years. Eyes in the back of his head!!

roxdoc
05-05-2007, 07:37 AM
Matt showed uncanny passing ability his freshman year. Yes he had some turnovers, but how many of those were balls that bounced off peoples chests who weren't ready to receiv them. It won't take much improvement and he will be considered a phenominal passer.

TexasZagFan
05-05-2007, 09:11 AM
I would bet that most people who saw Adam Morrison play his Freshman year knew he was someone very special. He was better than Matt Bouldin, imo. But I've always been an Adam Mo fan. He's #1 on my Zag list.

That first game they played in MSG (who was their opponent) was my first look at Adam. As far as first impressions went, I was floored. He displayed no fear, no reticence to take his shot.

BobZag
05-05-2007, 09:14 AM
Ball-handlers.

Few won't allow this team to be short on ball-handling guards.

Akzag
05-05-2007, 11:39 AM
That first game they played in MSG (who was their opponent) was my first look at Adam.

Vs. Saint Joseph's .. seemed an ominous start for the year, until you figure that our first two losses were to the #1 and #2 (and both undefeated until late in the season ...) Hawks and Cardinal.

Zag79
05-07-2007, 12:40 AM
i would be more concerned with matts 3 ball than his TOs to be honest. hes going to be a special player, you will see a huge improvement from last year to this year. book it.

D Hark 2003
05-07-2007, 10:43 AM
I agree 100% with Zag79, Bouldin's ball handling will be fine, i would like to see him shoot from outside with more consistency and confidence than he did in his freshman season.

I actually feel the same way about Pargo too. If he could consistently hit some three pointers he would be impossible for opposing guards to defend. He already has more quickness, power, and hops than most PGs, but if he added an outside jumper to that package he will be gone to the NBA in no time.