PDA

View Full Version : One Shining Moment...

Angelo Roncalli
04-06-2010, 07:12 AM
has jumped the shark. I agree with the observations in the linked piece. Way tooooo much Jennifer Hudson...Not enough highlights (unless you call shots of disconsolate players highlights)...this was maybe the best tournament of the past 20 years and CBS missed a lot of it.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the_sporting_blog/entry/view/61913/that_was_not_my_one_shining_moment

NanookZag
04-06-2010, 07:41 AM
I agree. It was terrible.

FlagZag
04-06-2010, 08:00 AM
For me it marks the official end of the season and I really look forward to it. It's usually very uplifting, a real tribute to the players. Last night it missed the mark badly unless you think March Madness is all about team mascots, devastated players, cheer leaders and a pop singer. (I'm probably just upset because the Zags weren't featured but FSU got 3 spots).

U Zig, I Zag
04-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Matt tweeted something like, 'no Zags? WTF?'

BobZag
04-06-2010, 08:43 AM
There can never be too much Jennifer Hudson, imo.

Angelo Roncalli
04-06-2010, 08:45 AM
There can never be too much Jennifer Hudson, imo.

There CAN be too much Jennifer Hudson. It was called Dreamgirls.

ellenvega
04-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Gosh, I didn't realize Jennifer Hudson played in the tourney, too. Can't believe they showed her over and over again. Urgh.

Hopefully she'll be a 'one and done'.

BobZag
04-06-2010, 08:47 AM
There CAN be too much Jennifer Hudson. It was called Dreamgirls.

Hubba hubba.

jbslicer
04-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Clark Kellogg should be "two and done." He's not CBS' best guy.

Birddog
04-06-2010, 09:21 AM
Clark Kellogg should be "two and done." He's not CBS' best guy.
Agreed, he's better than Fudgie packer though. I said it in the game thread. Can you just imagine the broadcast had the announcers been Lundquist and Raftery?
I should have turned on the radio and turned off the TV audio, I'm pretty sure Raftery was on the radio broadcast.

Angelo Roncalli
04-06-2010, 09:30 AM
Agreed, he's better than Fudgie packer though. I said it in the game thread. Can you just imagine the broadcast had the announcers been Lundquist and Raftery?
I should have turned on the radio and turned off the TV audio, I'm pretty sure Raftery was on the radio broadcast.

Raftery and John Thompson did the color. Jim Gray was the sideline reporter.

Zagpower
04-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Kellogg was awful. He sounded like he was rooting.

Typical stuff from him was something like "Foul called on Scheyer? He appeared to get all ball. It's called digging down and Duke teaches all of its players to do it. Let's look at the replay....see Scheyer swipes and Oh, OK, he actually did not hit any ball, all arm, good call afterall." :lmao:

MJGoGaels
04-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Omars face in that "tribute" as the lone WCC representative and not Matt Bouldin's face ruined it for me. Yuck. Makes me ill to think Omar got the last laugh. I only they knew the real Omar like we do.

Guess you missed Ben Allen and mates acknowledging the SMC fans in the stands in Providence picture.

MDABE80
04-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Bring back Luther for the tune...or the one before him. The present version was defined as 2nd rate production and missed the college spirit. Doesn't matter so much who was shown...what school, what face. It's the tune and production...showing how these kids sweat and bleed in this tournament.
This version was like an album add for Hudson and an add for CBS. Didn't like it.

Once and Future Zag
04-06-2010, 10:37 AM
In the past, I thought they made a point to get at least SOMETHING representing each school.

It doesn't help that the song has miserable, terrible, trite lyrics and pedestrian music...

BoZarth
04-06-2010, 11:06 AM
I'm okay with GU not being shown (although that's what I'm looking for) but Jennifer Hudson 4 times if not more?!?

Really??

And the last shot is of her armpit that could use a good shaving :eek:

Go Zags!!!!

UberZagFan
04-06-2010, 11:13 AM
If Uber wants to see that much Hudson he could just watch one of her videos. He thought he'd get a nice little highlight package of game plays. Guess not. Uber supposes CBS's response to that complaint is that one can go to their website and get the highlights. Whatever.

gamagin
04-06-2010, 11:28 AM

And the last shot is of her armpit that could use a good shaving :eek:

thanks for clearing that up, I though that was a high-kicking ballerina !

ZagNative
04-06-2010, 02:52 PM
From the Dagger Blog on Yahoo (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Jennifer-Hudson-s-One-Shining-Moment-was-a-tra?urn=ncaab,232438):

Jennifer Hudson's 'One Shining Moment' was a train wreck
By Chris Chase

The greatest NCAA tournament ever ended with the worst rendition of "One Shining Moment".

CBS was so pleased with getting a name like Jennifer Hudson to sing its annual tournament-ending song that the network basically let her take it over. Hudson shrilly shouted the lyrics and was bizarrely shown multiple times during the montage, making "OSM" more about her than the cheesy celebration of the NCAA tournament that we all know and love.
Vocal criticism aside, the montage was too much Hudson, not enough John Wall and Evan Turner. The two top players in college basketball didn't make a single appearance in the montage. Nor did huge, near-buzzer beaters by Jordan Crawford or Ishmael Smith. But seven shots of Jennifer Hudson? "One Shining Moment" had those.

Viewers were angered about both the cuts to Hudson in the studio and the song itself. Many took to Twitter and Facebok to complain. Even CBS acknowledged the backlash, publishing a story about the criticism on its news Web site. (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/04/06/entertainment/main6368332.shtml)

BobZag
04-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Bets her agent insisted on multiple shots of her. That's how showbiz works. I didn't watch it (listened to radio instead), so I'm lucky? :)

soccerdud
04-06-2010, 03:07 PM
one of those syndicated sports talk radio shows said it best: the song sounded like the ending credits of a disney movie. it was horrible ><

Salsageek
04-06-2010, 03:13 PM
I would rather see multiple shots of those FSU cheerleaders. ;)

zag944
04-06-2010, 03:21 PM
they should have had Omar sing it.

ellenvega
04-06-2010, 04:51 PM
You don't mess with One Shining Moment! I remember several years back CBS had a lot of special effects incorporated in with the video and people didn't like that.

Zag79
04-07-2010, 12:31 AM
yuck. hated it. i love one shining moment, its what me and my family look forward to every year. way too much of her, give me luthar! i thought the highlights were the same as every year if you take her out and add more hoops. i though or had hoped sacre pounding his chest after an and 1 would get the "beating of your heart" section. :o dont fix what aint broken!

zag944
04-08-2010, 10:14 AM
kind of funny to see all the criticism being thrown at this thing, mainly because of the amount of screentime given to Hudson (I read somewhere that the only other time they showed the singer was 2003, and they gave Hudson twice as much time this year).

that isnt really the problem for me...the problem is, it sounds awful. I dont know when creatively remaking a song became oversinging every third word.

john montana
04-08-2010, 10:18 AM
too much hudson, not enough duke. they didn't actual show one play from duke, just some celebration etc. in general, too many shots of players crying or celebrating and not enough highlights in my opinion.