PDA

View Full Version : Butler/MSU and WVU/Duke: your picks

CDC84
04-02-2010, 01:45 PM
My head says MSU and Duke, but I will go with my heart on this one....

Butler and WVU to the championship game.

I have to pick WVU because my sister is a WVU grad.

madness
04-02-2010, 01:50 PM
After watching Butler's live practice report today (amazing near sellout crowd for a practice) on ESPN I have to go with:

Butler vs. Duke. I am hoping for this scenario heavily.

1. Home team underdog on the brink of knocking off Duke (enuff said)
2. Two of my brackets that I actually had Gonzaga going to the final four have me in the money (I had them facing Duke, for obvious payback reasons) and need Duke to get there.

Tomorrow will still be fun, go BUTLER!!!!!!!

TacomaZAG
04-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Butler vs. Duke. Sentimental for Butler, financial for Duke (if they beat WVU my wife wins the office pool).

In the finals, got to go with Butler....................

Go ZAGS

BobZag
04-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Izzo vs Huggy.

Izzo wins another one.

SanDiegoZag
04-02-2010, 02:28 PM
I'm definitely rooting for Butler, but if they don't have the lead at halftime...I don't like their chances the way Izzo has had the Spartans playing after the break. He will be discussed as one of the greatest coaches of all time if he somehow brings another championship back to East Lansing.

I would bet big money on West Virginia. Duke certainly has not shot as well as they are capable of, but I don't see them suddenly shooting lights out against the stingy Mountaineers defense. Nolan Smith is going to have continue to play stellar to keep em in it... You can see brick in Singler's outside shot as soon as he puts it up right now. Scheyer hasn't shot well either outside of the Baylor game. It's a credit to Duke's depth, height and commitment to D that has pushed them this far. West Virginia just seems to find ways to win. If it isn't a double digit WVU win, I still see Butler hitting the big shots down the stretch and Mazzulla continuing to run the show effectively...

MickMick
04-02-2010, 02:40 PM
I entered two brackets in the pool at work (25+ total entered).

Heading into the weekend, I am in first with bracket #1 and tied for second with bracket #2. The other second place bracket is done and can't advance any further.

If West Virginia and Butler get to the final, I win 1st and 2nd outright (even though I had Kansas winning the title in my second entry). If Duke takes the title, I end up sharing the combined 1st and 2nd winnings with two others in a four way tie. If Michigan State wins the whole thing, I similarly split the winnings with one other in a three way tie.

So in the interest of me being greedy, I'll call WVU and Butler in the final. I have WVU winning the whole thing in my first bracket entry and I'll stick with it. I will be watching the games with much added interest :)

Edit: I thought I was sunk when WVU lost their point guard prior to the UW game ;)

maynard g krebs
04-02-2010, 02:57 PM
Playing at home and the absence of Lucas tip the scales in favor of Butler.

The absence of Bryant puts too much pressure on Mazzulla against Duke's suffocating D.

In the final, Duke's size and McDonalds AA's end the little guys' dream, much as I hate to say it.

DADoZAG
04-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Playing at home and the absence of Lucas tip the scales in favor of Butler.

The absence of Bryant puts too much pressure on Mazzulla against Duke's suffocating D.

In the final, Duke's size and McDonalds AA's end the little guys' dream, much as I hate to say it.

And, unfortunately, I'd have to agree.

I picked this as the year of the Butler Bulldog back in October (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=466603&highlight=butler+bulldog#post466603”), and expect the absence of Lucas to finally show it’s significance, despite Izzo’s brilliance.

Same with WV, as Truck is needed ‘cause Mazzula comes back to earth. Even with a terrific performance by the other Butler, the triple S brand reigns.

All the Coach K haters won’t sleep well Monday, and the Duke legacy continues.

To bad.

Go ZAGS!

PS: No, I didn't have Butler in the FF in my bracket because they were to get beaten by the ZAGS, and had Duke loosing to Baylor.

MDABE80
04-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Butler--Duke for the Final.. I'd like to see how Btler's fundamentals would handle Duke's defense. Hoping for a terrific Final Four. Butler wins it all!!!

ZagDaddy
04-02-2010, 04:26 PM
Butler and Duke. Izzo's Spartans have already over achieved beyond his wildest imagining. Butler is there because they are just plain good.

Butler takes it all (Sorry, Mom) on Monday proving once and for all that you can't over look mid-majors.

dim4sum
04-02-2010, 05:05 PM
If Butler wins, it says something in favor of keeping players for four years and not recruiting one and done types. It may usher in an era of true parity among division one schools. If Duke wins, too, it is also a vote for staying the course. Has Duke had any players leave early? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

Zagpower
04-02-2010, 05:15 PM
MSU and Duke both win close contests and Duke edges MSU for the NC.

But I'll be cheering for Butler!

deathchina
04-02-2010, 05:30 PM
"Has Duke had any players leave early? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think so."

Off teh top of my head.....

Elton Brand, Corey Maggette, Carlos Boozer, Will Avery, Mike Dunleavy, Jay Williams, Chris Duhon, might be missing someone..

Edited....SOrry was wrong about Duhon for all 4 years although he flirted with leaving after his freshman or soph year.

BobZag
04-02-2010, 05:31 PM
MSU and Duke both win close contests and Duke edges MSU for the NC.

But I'll be cheering for Butler!

UTEP! :lmao:

Zagpower
04-02-2010, 06:08 PM
UTEP! :lmao:

Florida State :lmao:

siliconzag
04-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Here are the exceptions:
1954 La Salle
1955-56 USF
1963 Loyola Chicago
1966 Texas Western
1977 Marquette
1985 Villanova

As time has gone on, the little guys have done less well. I too hope that Butler wins, and think they have a decent shot. If they get MSU to play their game, they win. Against Duke or WVU they might be outmatched, but again, if they shoot hot from the perimeter like they did against UTEP they might edge either team. But UTEP is no Duke or WVU.

If justice prevails, it will be WVU and Butler in the final.

Sili

Lizzag
04-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Butler--Duke for the Final.. I'd like to see how Btler's fundamentals would handle Duke's defense. Hoping for a terrific Final Four. Butler wins it all!!!

I'm with you! Midmajors gotta stick together, Bulldogs gotta stick together. Plus Indianapolis is my hometown. ;)

MDABE80
04-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Honestly Liz...I think Butler might be a bit short on talent compared to the others but I think they have "heart" and cohesion. Plus they've been together for a while now. I just hope they don't get squashed. They won't too schooled in fundamentals. Howard will been some help down low. In this FF, he can't dominate by himself. Let's hope something good and unexpected happens for Butler......like a Title..

Lizzag
04-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Speaking of heart, and of good and unexpected things...check out this article about Shawn Vanzant. I'm not skilled with creating links, but here goes:

http://tampabayonline.mobi/tbo/db_7078/contentdetail.htm?full=true&contentguid=dGYSaCUG&pn=0&ps=10

CDC84
04-02-2010, 09:47 PM
"Has Duke had any players leave early? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think so."

And Shaun Livingston didn't even show up on campus!

You know, for all this talk about how Butler is the consummate team and they really aren't that talented.....Gordon Hayward is considered by almost everyone to be the best NBA prospect at the final 4. Two of their starters were major figures on the U19 gold medal team at FIBA this summer. And there are actually guys on Butler's roster like Matt Howard who were high major recruits coming out of high school. In fact, one of Howard's biggest suitors is sitting on the other side of the final 4 bracket: West Virginia.

LynetteG
04-03-2010, 06:43 AM
WVU has a huge chip on their shoulders for not getting a #1 seed so they are going to come out guns a-blazin'. If they play as well as they can, they will beat Puke. I just don't want to see Puke in the Championship game, ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

For the other game, I'd really love to see Butler take it, esp without Kalin Lucas playing for MSU. But I am from Michigan and my husband earned a degree there, so....... i am torn! However, I love the underdogs, and I am a fan of Butler on facebook, so I say GO BUTLER!!!!!!!

SunDevilGolfZag
04-03-2010, 07:19 AM
Izzo vs Huggy.

Izzo wins another one.

I actually picked Izzo v. Huggy in my pool with Huggy winning.

(I picked MSU in the Final Four because they showed from the beginning of the season that they could win grinder games at the end against quality teams, if you know what I mean;)

BobZag
04-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Florida State :lmao:

I'll get you for this...and your little dog too! Mwahahahaah

Zagpower
04-03-2010, 09:51 AM
I'll get you for this...and your little dog too! Mwahahahaah

LOL.

You could have made a fortune going against my picks this year in the Tourney. Brutal to say the least.

I think my Final Four was Kentucky, Kansas, Baylor, and Georgetown. :lmao:

alldaye
04-03-2010, 11:53 AM
I'm thinking Butler, Duke

LynetteG
04-03-2010, 04:43 PM
I like Butler and Duke, and then Butler to win it all. Just a gut feeling, especially since I've not watched that much tournament this year with all that I've been doing lately.

So far so good, Mal! I just hope you're wrong on the part about Duke going to the final game ;)

rawkmandale
04-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Most of you went with Butler and Duke - good call!

rawkmandale
04-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Speaking of heart, and of good and unexpected things...check out this article about Shawn Vanzant. I'm not skilled with creating links, but here goes:

http://tampabayonline.mobi/tbo/db_7078/contentdetail.htm?full=true&contentguid=dGYSaCUG&pn=0&ps=10

Great story - thanks for the link!

LynetteG
04-04-2010, 07:15 AM
I like Butler and Duke, and then Butler to win it all. Just a gut feeling, especially since I've not watched that much tournament this year with all that I've been doing lately.

Scary Mal! I hope the last part of your prediction comes true! If so, I'd like the winning lottery numbers next, if you don't mind! :)