PDA

View Full Version : Last shot of the half (or game) scenarios

CaZagAlum
04-02-2010, 02:06 PM
For the past couple of years, it seems the only thing the zags do when faced with the last shot of the half is our primary ball handler dribbles at mid-court until about 6 seconds left, get double teamed, and jacks a three. I won't even hazard to guess the percentage of times this has worked for us or if we've even gotten an offense board or putback. Let's hope with a summer to think about it, and a team of not-as-raw players, zags will be a little more creative.

In the meantime, if you could design a play with five players of your choosing on the court, what kind of scenario would you envision?

I'd like to see something similar to what the Xavier ladies did to Stanford (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5Je0ludNqA) TWICE at the end of that thriller. They basically doubled the best player over in the corner, drawing everyone's attention, and she passed out to a wide open teammate under the basket. Unlike Xavier, I would hope our players make the bunny.

I'd like to see it run with Gray with the ball in hands and Manny finishing. I think Rob and Harris would draw too much attention of their own to receive the pass and I think Meech is too liable to get his shot blocked if not wide open. I'm not sure anyone except Gray has the handles, the passing ability, and the resume to warrant a double team.

bullzag23
04-02-2010, 02:33 PM
For the past couple of years, it seems the only thing the zags do when faced with the last shot of the half is our primary ball handler dribbles at mid-court until about 6 seconds left, get double teamed, and jacks a three. I won't even hazard to guess the percentage of times this has worked for us or if we've even gotten an offense board or putback. Let's hope with a summer to think about it, and a team of not-as-raw players, zags will be a little more creative.

In the meantime, if you could design a play with five players of your choosing on the court, what kind of scenario would you envision?

I'd like to see something similar to what the Xavier ladies did to Stanford (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5Je0ludNqA) TWICE at the end of that thriller. They basically doubled the best player over in the corner, drawing everyone's attention, and she passed out to a wide open teammate under the basket. Unlike Xavier, I would hope our players make the bunny.

I'd like to see it run with Gray with the ball in hands and Manny finishing. I think Rob and Harris would draw too much attention of their own to receive the pass and I think Meech is too liable to get his shot blocked if not wide open. I'm not sure anyone except Gray has the handles, the passing ability, and the resume to warrant a double team.

This is exactly why I don't believe Meech should be in on a game ending play. The opposing D can simply lockdown the middle so Gray/Arop/Meech won't be able to drive or get the ball to Rob/Elias, and they know Meech can't shoot so really at this point in time I don't see a reason why he would be in. I'd much rather have a lineup of Gray/Arop/Kong in the back court to spread the floor. That way no matter whose hands the ball ends up in we have a legitimate scoring threat and the D has to play honest. I'm not suggesting we use that lineup the entire game but if a game comes down to 1 possession where we score or go home, we better have our best offensive players out there.

Birddog
04-02-2010, 04:38 PM
I have no specific play in mind except maybe the "crackdown" (is that the name) play that they ran in memory of Fitz. The bigger question or at least as important is, how easy is it to game plan the game end, half end play of Gonzaga. It's been the same thing for years and must take teams all of 3 mins to game plan their defense.

1973Zag
04-03-2010, 08:18 AM
Why does our "play" have to be a one man show? Too obvious,too easy to defend, never(almost) works. Why not try an option play involving 2 or 3 potential shooters and take the first good option. couldn't possibly produce worse results than the current.