PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who follow the NBA

BobZag
04-02-2010, 11:14 AM
If the NBA goes on strike for the 2011-12 season, and there is a lockout, is there a NBA draft in June of 2011? If not, would someone like Elias Harris be forced to return? Is the strike projected to be 2011-12 or 2010-11?

theothegreat21
04-02-2010, 11:17 AM
The strike would be projected for the 2011-2012 season, which is why pretty much any potential free agent will be utilizing this summer to get a mega-contract before the next collective bargaining agreement occurs. In terms of an NBA draft, it would depend how long the lockout lasts/when the CBA agreement is over. If it's July 1 (which I believe it is since the NBA season typically doesn't end until Mid-June), then the NBA draft would still occur before the CBA expires.

Both the NBA and NFL are looking like they are headed to a lockout, but this is also the type of think that gets resovled 24 hours before the lockout occurs.

WeSayZed
04-02-2010, 11:19 AM
If the NBA goes on strike for the 2011-12 season, and there is a lockout, is there a NBA draft in June of 2011? If not, would someone like Elias Harris be forced to return? Is the strike projected to be 2011-12 or 2010-11?

I donít know the answer to your question, but remember that Harris will have pro opportunities in Europe as well.

Goshzagit
04-02-2010, 11:26 AM
I don’t know the answer to your question, but remember that Harris will have pro opportunities in Europe as well.

Heck, Elias could have gone pro in Europe two years ago. The kid played alongside Dirk and other pros for his German National Team. Elias' dream was to play college basketball in the US and make the NBA. He won't be leaving Gonzaga anytime soon to pursue a professional contract in Europe. He has made it well-known that if he isn't promised a 1st Round pick, he'll stay all four years at Gonzaga and complete his degree, which he still might do.

Mr Vulture
04-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Everything I have seen and heard leads to the the fact that a lockout is almost assured. However, the NBA draft would take place in June of 2011 regardless of whether there is a lockout or not. The lockout would take place after the draft in the August time frame. This would affect all the players drafted because even though they have signed contracts, per the slotting system, they won't be paid during the time of the lockout. Since they would be under contract, they wouldn't be able to play in other leagues either(overseas) to make money or develop their game. Essentially, they would be stuck until the lockout was resolved.

How long a lockout would last is hard to say. However, if a college player doesn't go pro this year it is likely they will be better off staying in college for one more year or risk not playing ball at all for a season. In the end, I guess it will be how the player views what will happen in regards to the lockout versus the payoff by playing another year of college ball.

surfmonkey89
04-02-2010, 11:30 AM
I've been waiting to say this until EH committed to staying at GU this year, but it sure seems to me like there's a decent chance that he actually stays here three years if there's a lockout.

Why would you willingly go into a situation where you might be without a job before you even play your first game? And I can't imagine that the contracts for the lottery players will be over the top if the collective bargaining agreement isn't done in time for the draft.

BobZag
04-02-2010, 11:33 AM
I've been waiting to say this until EH committed to staying at GU this year, but it sure seems to me like there's a decent chance that he actually stays here three years if there's a lockout.

Why would you willingly go into a situation where you might be without a job before you even play your first game? And I can't imagine that the contracts for the lottery players will be over the top if the collective bargaining agreement isn't done in time for the draft.

That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure. Thanks to all who replied above. Appreciate it.

WeSayZed
04-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Heck, Elias could have gone pro in Europe two years ago. The kid played alongside Dirk and other pros for his German National Team. Elias' dream was to play college basketball in the US and make the NBA. He won't be leaving Gonzaga anytime soon to pursue a professional contract in Europe. He has made it well-known that if he isn't promised a 1st Round pick, he'll stay all four years at Gonzaga and complete his degree, which he still might do.
I suspect that he chose to play US college basketball because he saw it as the best way to prepare for an NBA career. I donít think may foreign players dream of just playing US college basketball, and no offence but I donít think many foreigners dream of moving to Spokane. That doesnít mean that Spokane and the Zags arenít a very good and desirable option for foreign players, but the draw is more in what the team and city offer the player in terms of preparing for a possible pro career. At some point Harris will decide that heís learned what he can learn from college basketball and that itís time to turn pro, and if the NBA is on strike a good league in Europe would still be a step up from college basketball, and it would be a lot more lucrative.

Mr Vulture
04-02-2010, 11:53 AM
The NBA has a contract slotting system so the salary wouldn't be greatly affected with or without a new agreement. The problem would be getting paid even if you signed the contract....the player would be hamstrung at that point.

cjm720
04-02-2010, 01:37 PM

I guess I'm rooting for an NBA lockout!!!

Zag 77
04-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Dear CJM,

I second that. It is hard for any of us to take sides in a battle of millionaires vs. billionaires. Spoiled brats in shorts vs spoiled brats in suits. I could care less about the NBA, but I do care about keeping a great player (who will be gretting a great education !). As for the NBA players, they all make at least a million bucks a year guaranteed minimum. Assuming a conservative lifestyle and a prudent investment strategy, none of the players should be hurting for a long time, anyway. Some "player entourages" may be hurting a bit, however.