PDA

View Full Version : Expectations for Freshmen

cggonzaga
03-31-2010, 10:03 PM
Some talk on this board lately about last season's freshmen class is killing me. There have been so many negative comments about the way our freshmen played and I don't believe any of it is fair at all. They are freshmen people! Most freshmen (with the exceptions of Kentucky's this year) are not ready to step right in and play let alone dominate. Common knowledge tells us that a players development makes its largest strides between the freshmen and sophomore years. And wait, believe it or not, some kids might even not make that jump until later yet! Don't jump off the bandwagon of GJ, Meech, Kelly, Manny, Bol or Sam just yet because these young men will be the same young men taking GU to unprecedented heights! One year does not a career make.

krozman
03-31-2010, 10:42 PM
My philosophy is:

If Mark Few is giving you playing time, you've earned the right to be praised and critcized alike.

Zag79
04-01-2010, 01:57 AM
Some talk on this board lately about last season's freshmen class is killing me. There have been so many negative comments about the way our freshmen played and I don't believe any of it is fair at all. They are freshmen people! Most freshmen (with the exceptions of Kentucky's this year) are not ready to step right in and play let alone dominate. Common knowledge tells us that a players development makes its largest strides between the freshmen and sophomore years. And wait, believe it or not, some kids might even not make that jump until later yet! Don't jump off the bandwagon of GJ, Meech, Kelly, Manny, Bol or Sam just yet because these young men will be the same young men taking GU to unprecedented heights! One year does not a career make.

your hitting home runs cg... some fans are just off and on with players according to how the player performed. we beat flor st, meech did great. we lost to cuse, it was meechs fault. repeat. bol, kelly, all these guys have one thing in common. they will be great contributors to the program before graduating.

My philosophy is:

If Mark Few is giving you playing time, you've earned the right to be praised and critcized alike.

agree as well. but to beat a dead horse, place all blame when its not valid, go off the deep end, and so on is rediculous. just as some posters repeat themselves and post unfactual, statistical lacking crap, others can call them out on it as well. fun times on a free for all board! :D

cjm720
04-01-2010, 07:33 AM
Expectations are deservedly high for this class. Basically, Few and Co. brought in a player at every postion, of which only two (three including Kong) got significant time. I expect a huge push by all, but Few's going to have some tough decisions with playing time once again. KO v. Dower; GG v. GJ; Bol v. Manny...one starting position is up for grabs between these 6 players.

I'm most intersted in a healthy Arop. I think he could be the key for the 2011-2012 season. He's a game changer; a Steven Gray with more length.

Go Zags!!!!

BobZag
04-01-2010, 11:00 AM
I'm the driver of this freshmen bandwagon. Can't wait to see their progress next season, and perhaps in some cases, the season after. Much promise.

alldaye
04-01-2010, 12:55 PM
They could form a decent starting 5: GJ, Manny, Bol, Elias, Sam Dower

with Grant and Kelly off the bench.

That team could probably compete for a WCC title alone

MDABE80
04-01-2010, 12:59 PM
They could form a decent starting 5: GJ, Manny, Bol, Elias, Sam Dower

with Grant and Kelly off the bench.

That team could probably compete for a WCC title alone
How about Gray, GJ/Meech, Rob, Elias and Sam.?

Defense and rebounding plus a fine offense.

Bogozags
04-01-2010, 02:37 PM
I have seen posts criticizing the play of freshman but I remember somewhat of a quote by I believe Al McGuire, “…Freshman will be Freshman until they are sophomores!” My memory isn’t as good as it use to be but think that is close to what he said.

I’m excited about our freshman for next season, they will have matured, gained some confidence, worked over the summer and will be ready to go in October.

I made a comment about Meech before the Syracuse game regarding playing 4-on-5, because Meech’s shooting skill from the outside is non-existent to this point in his career. Maybe he will improve over this summer BUT if he doesn’t and GJ cannot fill the void AND we have not found a PG, then I believe IMO, it will be difficult for this team to excel to expectations, much the same way UNC went this year.

I do know that that this team is comprised of young men, giving it there very best each and every time they take the court. They will make stellar plays and at times make a bonehead play, which is what I do as a seasoned person. Two of the best players in CBB this season, Wall and Cousins are home watching the FF on TV and many of us felt pretty confident they were going to play this weekend.

As Al said, “Freshman are Freshman until they are sophomores!”

cggonzaga
04-01-2010, 09:17 PM
I like it Bogo and couldn't agree more. I expect to see some of the guys really step up next year but wouldn't be surprised if it took a couple others another year to fully reach their potential. It would just be nice to not see people give up on kid if he's not a star in his first couple of years of college.

jpwils
04-02-2010, 08:45 AM
Agree with above comment that it takes a couple years in many cases-e.g. Kyle Bankhead....I notice not very many people are throwing in young Mr. Stockton as part of this....

gum797
04-02-2010, 09:00 AM
Agree with above comment that it takes a couple years in many cases-e.g. Kyle Bankhead....I notice not very many people are throwing in young Mr. Stockton as part of this....

This is a good example, and no disrespect to Kyle, but these freshman are much, much more talented then Kyle and their ceilings are much higher (wish someone could shoot like him though :) . I almost find it amusing that people were so critical of these freshman. Its been said many times on this site, but I will reinerate. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year, and without these freshman productions, I really think it might have turned out that way, but instead the team made another nice run. The future is very bright

karloslonn
04-02-2010, 11:43 AM
This years team was really young and some of these guys played pretty good. Didn't really see enough of GJ to get a great idea of how he'll turn out but KO, Arop, Kong, RS Dower and Harris (who by all accounts will leave early) gave us plenty of reason to be optimistic looking at the future IMHO