• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gum797
    Kennel Club Material
    • Nov 2007

Few and GU evolving

CONGRATULATIONS to coach Few for hiring coach Daniels. I really feel this signifies the evolution of Few and Gonzaga. I have always felt that Few was very set in his ways, almost stubborn about his decisions, rotations etc. For example, it always seemed to me like if someone was in his doghouse, they would stay there a long time, and he wanted to keep all coaching changes or philosophies in house. But going after and getting coach Daniels and getting possible early departures to the NBA like Daye and Harris seems like he is stepping out of his comfort zone, which I really feel will help our program moving the right direction. Even with him recruiting a PG for next season, shows that there is nothing complacent about our program (I really thought he would stick to his guns and play Meech no matter what, but now it seems like an open competition). Those were just some of my friends and my opinions of Few in the past. So the fact that I am seeing some of the current changes really makes me proud of Few for stepping out of his comfort zone a little which will only improve Gonzaga.
  • VaBeachZAG
    Bleeds GU Blue
    • Feb 2007

Gum979, I get what you are saying (but don't necessarily agree) regarding Few stepping outside his comfort zone. However, one of your points in particular puzzles me. Just how did coach Few step outside his comfort zone by hiring coach Daniels? I think it would only be natural for any elite coach to seek the best possible replacement for a departed assistant, and that is what it seems Few did. So, how was Few outside his comfort zone going after and getting what appears to be an elite level assistant coach?

Comment

• Reborn
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by gum797 View Post
      I really feel this signifies the evolution of Few and Gonzaga.
      I agree that this has all been evolving. It's a process. I remember reading about this process in Brave Heart. Munson, Few et al, had a plan of how to win a national championship. They had worked this whole plan out and then took it to the AD I believe. It was when they were trying to get hired at Gonzaga (it must have been when they became assistants to Fitzgerald. The final stage has to do with being able to recruit at the highest level. I think, as gum 797 said, Few has gotten Daye and Harris as of late, and I would include Manny Arop in that mix of talent, and Olynyk is as good as a good 3 to 4 star. I think with the hiring of coach Daniels, our recruiting will get better. We need to get one or two 5 star players or a 5 and a 4. Happy days are here again.
      Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• cjm720
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2007

Even with him recruiting a PG for next season, shows that there is nothing complacent about our program (I really thought he would stick to his guns and play Meech no matter what, but now it seems like an open competition).

Good overall post, but Few isn't recruiting a point guard. He has stated he's recruiting "perimeter help." Our best perimeter player is leaving a 27 win season. It's not all about Goodson!!!!!!!!!!!
        Last edited by cjm720; 03-31-2010, 03:12 PM. Reason: emphasis
        Go Zags!!!

Comment

• roxdoc
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

If we see Coach Few adopting a few new wrinkles in his somewhat rigid approach (perhaps encouraged by Daniels) then we will know he is stepping outside his comfort zone. Interested to see if it is same old, same old or not.

Comment

• gum797
            Kennel Club Material
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by VaBeachZAG View Post
            Just how did coach Few step outside his comfort zone by hiring coach Daniels? I think it would only be natural for any elite coach to seek the best possible replacement for a departed assistant, and that is what it seems Few did. So, how was Few outside his comfort zone going after and getting what appears to be an elite level assistant coach?
            By this I meant that he didnt promote from within or even hire someone like a Casey Calvary (dont even know if that was an option, but just using his name as an example) which would be the comfortable thing to do. I couldnt disagree more that a coach would hiring the best possible replacement would be only natural. If someone is uncomfortable with someone else's style or system, they would not hire him no matter how elite of a basketball mind he is. Take Bob Knight. Any program who needed a Head coach would love to have his basketball mind, but obvioulsy there are other issues that factored in. And no I am no saying Daniels is like that, but just using that as an example.

Comment

• FuManShoes
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

By this I meant that he didnt promote from within or even hire someone like a Casey Calvary (dont even know if that was an option, but just using his name as an example) which would be the comfortable thing to do. I couldnt disagree more that a coach would hiring the best possible replacement would be only natural. If someone is uncomfortable with someone else's style or system, they would not hire him no matter how elite of a basketball mind he is. Take Bob Knight. Any program who needed a Head coach would love to have his basketball mind, but obvioulsy there are other issues that factored in. And no I am no saying Daniels is like that, but just using that as an example.
              I second this. Maybe Daniels and Few have a closer relationship than it would appear, but I doubt they have as close a relationship and as many local ties as say, Few and Giacoletti (speaking of which, how well do Daniels and Giacoletti know each other?). Coach C's hiring was a homecoming of sorts while with Daniels, Few has in essence recruited a stud away from a hotbed of hoops much as he recruited Daye away from Cali. I mean even Howland was shaking his head a bit, which signals to me that Few surprised some folks much as Daniels forsaking UCLA for GU did. I hope it works out and at first blush this guy seems like a steal who will bring some new skills and perspective to the bench.
              “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Comment

• vandalzag
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

I think the term evolving misses the point. If you compare last years team to the first 2 or 3 teams Few coached they are vastly different. Few has had to change/adapt his style and process to mesh with the today's player (as has every successful coach...Bobby Knight would be an example of a coach who was unable to change his ways to coach and/or recruit today's players). I think that the hiring of coach Daniels is one way for the program to focus a little more on the AAU aspect of the recruiting process. Where Few has always hated the AAU process, Daniels does have both the track record and the contracts necessary to sift through the murky waters of the AAU circuit.

Comment

• gum797
                  Kennel Club Material
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by vandalzag View Post
                  I think that the hiring of coach Daniels is one way for the program to focus a little more on the AAU aspect of the recruiting process. Where Few has always hated the AAU process, Daniels does have both the track record and the contracts necessary to sift through the murky waters of the AAU circuit.
                  I was just getting back on to the computer to make this point. This is an excellent point vandal. Someone just posted that Few said something to the effect of he doesnt like dealing with AAU. This could be the primary example of how Few has changed. Instead of him saying I dont like it, we will figure out a different way to recruit, he goes out and hires a guy who most likely works very closely with AAU players and coaches and understands we need a guy like that for our program to keep growing. Again, I LOVE WHAT FEW IS DOING HERE!

Comment

• 229SintoZag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Giacoletti

I think Few's hiring of Coach G was akin to this hiring: bringing in someone from outside the program that Few knows well and respects as a former opponent.

Comment

• cggonzaga
                      Zag for Life
                      • Mar 2007

I think the term evolving misses the point. If you compare last years team to the first 2 or 3 teams Few coached they are vastly different. Few has had to change/adapt his style and process to mesh with the today's player (as has every successful coach...Bobby Knight would be an example of a coach who was unable to change his ways to coach and/or recruit today's players). I think that the hiring of coach Daniels is one way for the program to focus a little more on the AAU aspect of the recruiting process. Where Few has always hated the AAU process, Daniels does have both the track record and the contracts necessary to sift through the murky waters of the AAU circuit.
                      Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying because of the first sentence Vandal but the rest of your post speaks of Few's evolution. "Evolving" is exactly the correct word and description for what is happening here. Many on this board, myself included, have felt that the lack of progress in the program in the past few years has been due to the staff's inability to evolve or stubborness to go outside of the box. I was personally wondering if Gonzaga under Few would ever hire an African American coach for the staff. Like it or not I'm sure we've missed out on a few recruits due to the lack of diversity on the staff. I see this hire as the beginning of a new era of Gonzaga basketball and look forward to the future.

Comment

• Birddog
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

This brings up a good question. " Few's Coaching Style: Evolution or Intelligent Design?"

Daniels does have both the track record and the contracts necessary to sift through the murky waters of the AAU circuit.
                        Vandal, I'm reasonably certain you meant CONTACTS, but it does change things doesn't it.
                        Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
                        Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
                        All mimsy were the borogoves,
                        And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• GoZags
                          Super Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cggonzaga View Post
                          Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying because of the first sentence Vandal but the rest of your post speaks of Few's evolution. "Evolving" is exactly the correct word and description for what is happening here. Many on this board, myself included, have felt that the lack of progress in the program in the past few years has been due to the staff's inability to evolve or stubborness to go outside of the box. I was personally wondering if Gonzaga under Few would ever hire an African American coach for the staff. Like it or not I'm sure we've missed out on a few recruits due to the lack of diversity on the staff. I see this hire as the beginning of a new era of Gonzaga basketball and look forward to the future.
                          Out of curiosity, which of GU's assistant coaches would you have fired to make hiring an African American possible? Or do you believe that hiring Tommy and/or Ray was a mistake?

Until last week, there have been two open spots on the coaching staff since '99. Tommy was hired when Scott left, and Ray was hired when Billy took the San Diego job.
                          sigpic
                          “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                          ——-
                          List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                          Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• cggonzaga
                            Zag for Life
                            • Mar 2007

Fair enough GoZags. But who says you can't have more than 3 assistants? Honestly, I really like Ray G but there could've been an opportunity to look elsewhere on that one. That being said, I couldn't be happier the way it has all turned out.

Comment

• GoZags
                              Super Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cggonzaga View Post
                              Fair enough GoZags. But who says you can't have more than 3 assistants? Honestly, I really like Ray G but there could've been an opportunity to look elsewhere on that one. That being said, I couldn't be happier the way it has all turned out.
                              The NCAA says you can't have more than 3 assistants. There are other positions that sit on the bench (i.e. Jerry Krause, Alex Hernandez, Brian Michaelson). Others who have had roles (on the bench) are Kyle Bankhead; Winston Brooks.

As for Ray -- I believe this snippet (the tail end) of a Sporting News interview that Few did in Sept. '01 May have some insights as to why Ray was hired when Billy left:
                              ---------------
                              TSN: When's the last time you talked to John Stockton?
                              MF: Ten minutes ago. He works out with our guys in the fall.
                              TSN: How big a benefit is that?
                              MF: Oh, it's huge -- and in so many ways than people would think. He talks to our guys about anything and everything -- from "What did you get that tattoo for?" to actually talking basketball with them. He works out with our point guards and then he'll come back now at 3:30 and play with our guys. So not only do (point guards) Dan and Winston (Brooks) and Blake (Stepp) have to play against him, you wouldn't believe how much it helps our big guys. They know if they run the floor, they're going to get the ball. And they know they better have their head up or it's going to ricochet off their ear.
                              He's a walking example of everything you teach as a coach. He reinforces lifting habits, working hard, taking care of your body, handling your success. He's the most low-key, humble guy you'd ever want to meet. He's a wonderful ambassador for everything -- GU basketball, college basketball, pro basketball, everything.
                              TSN: What's your favorite movie of all-time?
                              MF: I'd say Forrest Gump.
                              TSN: Favorite book?
                              MF: Tuesdays with Morrie.
                              TSN: What's in your CD player?
                              MF: Let's see. I just got back from a fishing trip. I had Bob Marley in there. And I had Brooks & Dunn in the other one.
                              TSN: If your life depended on winning one game, who'd be the coach?
                              MF: Ray Giacoletti at Eastern Washington University.
                              TSN: Of course.
                              MF: He's good. Really good.

TSN: Where's the toughest place you've ever had to play?
                              MF: Arizona. We got it stuck to us pretty good last year. Not by the 'Cats.
                              ---------------------

It is my belief that Ray Giacoletti's situation (and availability and willingness to come) was unique.
                              sigpic
                              “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                              ——-
                              List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                              Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

Working...
                              X