PDA

View Full Version : Pangos update

skan72
03-31-2010, 08:45 AM
At the "Battle of the Boards" in Ontario... (http://www.flagrantfouls.com/2010/03/battle-of-the-boards-showcasing-ontarios-finest/)

If you’re a scout, member of the media or just a passionate high school hoops fan, Ryerson University was the place to be on March 24th, where the Gym was gushing with high-calibre players; some of which were the top prospects in Ontario. There were so many guys to keep track of, I was beginning to get dizzy about half way through. My eyes were gazing as if I was watching a ping pong match in the front row.

The organizer of this great event was Roy Rana, Head Coach of the Ryerson Rams and former coach at Eastern Commerce High School. Eastern has been one of the powerhouse programs in Ontario for the last decade.

“One of the things that I wanted to do, and the university wanted to do was celebrate the kids that are here. A lot of focus has been on the kids that have gone off to the U.S and I think we need to provide better opportunities for our kids here,” said Rana.

“We will continue to build the event, secure more sponsors and build awareness. I don’t think we’re going to expand it into a tournament format (more than one game for each team) because that could jeopardize guy’s eligibility due to the two all-star game NCAA rule.”

Kevin Pangos/6’1 PG/ Dr. J.M Denison/ 2012

I would have to say that Pangos was the top prospect in this event and arguably in the country. This floor general makes everything look very easy and natural, frequently being compared to Steve Nash. It was the first time in over a year that I got to witness KP in action. He has put on muscle mass and has good size. Pangos has a great understanding of the game and analyzes the floor extremely well. He picks his spots and is patient, rarely turning over the ball which is very impressive considering the fact that he looks to push it every chance he gets. I can’t imagine any of his teammates being dissatisfied when Kevin is on the floor as he gets the ball to where it needs to be, moving very vast with the rock in his hands and basically coasting by the defense time after time. Pangos has also improved defensively showing that he can pick up his man full court on several possessions. I can go on and on about KP but I must save some room for the rest of these prospects. Almost forgot to mention, Pangos dished out at least 10 assists in this game.

http://www.flagrantfouls.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Kevin-Pangos-210x300.jpg

BobZag
03-31-2010, 08:51 AM
Thanks, skan. Hope Kevin wears a Zag uni someday.

skan72
03-31-2010, 09:07 AM
Thanks, skan. Hope Kevin wears a Zag uni someday.

I am of the same sentiment BobZag.

dim4sum
03-31-2010, 10:14 AM
When I last heard, maybe two years ago, he was 6-ft.---how big is he now?
Also, how is he on the fast break, a blur, a semi-blur or adequate??? Hope Syracuse doesn't snatch him up, his school is within the Syracuse sphere of influence.

skan72
03-31-2010, 10:22 AM
Also, how is he on the fast break, a blur, a semi-blur or adequate??? Hope Syracuse doesn't snatch him up, his school is within the Syracuse sphere of influence.

I'd peg him at about 6'1"ish.

GUZagDenver
03-31-2010, 11:08 AM
Can we just get it out there that Gonzaga pretty much has no chance of getting this guy??

skan72
03-31-2010, 11:50 AM
Can we just get it out there that Gonzaga pretty much has no chance of getting this guy??

Why on Earth would we say that? We have 4 Canadians on our team, all who have played in the Canadian national program, and will continue to do so for the senior nationals probably. This is just like Kevin, so they'll be around him, as will Rautins and Kris Joseph. I don't see our chances of getting him being that much worse than Syracuse's.

maynard g krebs
03-31-2010, 01:10 PM

One would hope that the opportunity to work with Stockton would be an advantage no one else has in his recruiting.

OZZY
03-31-2010, 01:35 PM

You are underestimating both the GU staff and others working indirectly in the background on recruits. Kevin is a very good fit for GU, and GU is a very good fit for Kevin. If we no chance why would Kevin and his family plan to visit Spokane?

OZZY
03-31-2010, 01:42 PM

Kevin has played at an international level and while he is excellent in half court offense with his ability to pass and shoot from NBA range, he is even more effective pushing the ball up court with pace while still in complete control.

gum797
03-31-2010, 02:05 PM
He would be a great continuation of our PG tradition. Good luck staff, pull out the whole bag of tricks to get this guy!

dnj116
03-31-2010, 02:19 PM
You are underestimating both the GU staff and others working indirectly in the background on recruits. Kevin is a very good fit for GU, and GU is a very good fit for Kevin. If we no chance why would Kevin and his family plan to visit Spokane?

When is his planned visit? Sure hope he decides on Gonzaga...

cbbfanatic
03-31-2010, 02:32 PM
pangos is a guy that almost seems like the board already has him pegged in a gu uniform, despite the competition that figures to be stiff for the kid. i got/get a similar feeling when reading thoughts on here about bell and dower.

is this an inside info kind of thing, or just that people really want him and think he'd be a great fit? from my browsing, it seems like there has been very little "inside" recruiting information shared regarding these kids - maybe some very indirect innuendo, at most.

for the sake of argument, i get the feeling that people are much more apprehensive about GU's chances with a kid like wiltjer...

i am just trying to figure the "why" to it all... why do SOME of you appear to treat bell and pangos as if they are gonzaga's to lose, but wiltjer is more of a long shot?

23dpg
03-31-2010, 03:47 PM
I don't think this board proclaims itself much for "recruiting news" like a rivals site. So I wouldn't put too much into a poster hoping for a certain player. As for Bob, he just states that he hopes that he wears a Zag uniform someday.

It's ok to put up prospective players and mention why they may or may not be Zags. I think the vast majority have no idea, myself included. I live in the Portland area and have seen Wiltjer play but have no idea how good he really is or whether he is going to be at Gonzaga...the same for Bell and Pangos.

I go to several boards and it is quite common to discuss possible recruits. Mostly fun stuff not to be taken too seriously.

OZZY
03-31-2010, 04:04 PM
All I will say is that not everything discussed between GU board members (about some prospects) is made public on the boards.

As for Wiltjer, the addition to the staff of coach Daniels will certainly help, it weakens UCLA's push, and gives GU more credibility, we where already in the top 3 according to Kyle himself. As I have said previously, there are some intangibles that GU can provide when going after both Pangos and Wiltjer.

Birddog
03-31-2010, 05:13 PM
As I have said previously, there are some intangibles that GU can provide when going after both Pangos and Wiltjer.
You must be referring to the Canadian food that they regularly serve at the COG.

bigblahla
03-31-2010, 05:30 PM
You must be referring to the Canadian food that they regularly serve at the COG.

We're not talking Beaver here are we?

I only eat Beaver if it's fresh. :D

Go!! Zags!!!