PDA

View Full Version : We could be a lot like West Virginia next year

gum797
03-29-2010, 04:16 PM
Watching WVU make this run, I cant help but recognize the possible similarites to our guys next year. They are relentless on the boards (2nd in country on the offensive glass), their PGs shot a combined 22% from 3 point range, have an athletic versatile go to guy in Da'Sean Butler and get their top production from their bigs. If next year plays out how a lot of us feel, we should dominate the glass, our PG's should shoot at least that (hopefully better), Harris should be our Da'Sean, and our bigs should be most of our production. I feel we have something they dont have, and that should be a dominant 2 in Gray. I really feel that if we can play with the intensity that they have, we could possibly make a deep run as well. It could be a very exciting year, lets hope we play with the same fire they do.

MedZag
03-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Don't see it, unfortunately. Zags are recruiting more athletic players these days but WVU this year is on a whole different level than that. They went toe to toe with KU and passed the "eye test" - they looked just as athletic as Kentucky and that team has 3 potential lottery picks.

alldaye
03-29-2010, 05:28 PM
Yeah, in theory. Except every one of their players except their PG is at least 6'7 with a huge blocks. They are awesome defensively. Everyone can defend everyone.

alldaye
03-29-2010, 05:30 PM
also, their dominant 2: Da'Sean Butler is a lot better than our 2: Steven Gray. Who even knows if Gray will be dominant on a consistent basis?

MickMick
03-29-2010, 06:59 PM
Maybe in two years.....maybe

dawgfather11
03-29-2010, 07:16 PM
Watching WVU make this run, I cant help but recognize the possible similarites to our guys next year. They are relentless on the boards (2nd in country on the offensive glass), their PGs shot a combined 22% from 3 point range, have an athletic versatile go to guy in Da'Sean Butler and get their top production from their bigs. If next year plays out how a lot of us feel, we should dominate the glass, our PG's should shoot at least that (hopefully better), Harris should be our Da'Sean, and our bigs should be most of our production. I feel we have something they dont have, and that should be a dominant 2 in Gray. I really feel that if we can play with the intensity that they have, we could possibly make a deep run as well. It could be a very exciting year, lets hope we play with the same fire they do.

Are you talking about just offensively? Because west virginia is good because of it's top notch defense and well that isn't happening here...

Zag79
03-29-2010, 07:51 PM
i love this post for a couple reasons... :D

their PGs shot a combined 22% from 3 point range

wait, you can make the final 4 with a terrible 3 point shooting guard?! or good ones shooting terrible as if they werent good? some posters are just so wrong outside of there own heads. ;)

Da'Sean Butler is a lot better than our 2: Steven Gray.

as a senior compared to a junior? ok. but ill make my decision after grays senior year. it wouldnt surprise me if he came out and scored 4 more points a game, and raises his 3 pt % from 33 to 35% to equal that of butler. even this year though, grays points per shot was better than butler so he was mroe effective when he did shoot. interesting info...

back to the foo... ;)

cggonzaga
03-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Don't see it, unfortunately. Zags are recruiting more athletic players these days but WVU this year is on a whole different level than that. They went toe to toe with KU and passed the "eye test" - they looked just as athletic as Kentucky and that team has 3 potential lottery picks.

Not even close. (No big deal but it's UK) WVU was nowhere near as athletic as Kentucky. WVU won that game because of both physical and mental toughness. I think what gum is trying to state is that we can be every bit as tough as this year's WVU team. I would definitely agree with that as long as some of our guys figure this out on a consistent basis, which I suspect they will now that our freshmen have a year under their belts. With Manny, Sam and Kelly getting much more playing time to go along with the bulldogs (no pun intended) we have down low in Harris and Rob I can see this toughness developing rather quickly. I'll take it a step further and suggest that we'll be better in the frontcourt than WVU is this year.

Are you talking about just offensively? Because west virginia is good because of it's top notch defense and well that isn't happening here...

Offensively we're way ahead of WVU. I will agree, however as of right now we are nowhere near WVU defensively. Next year's group does have the chance to be very good defensively. GU will never be known as a defensive power however.

also, their dominant 2: Da'Sean Butler is a lot better than our 2: Steven Gray. Who even knows if Gray will be dominant on a consistent basis?

Couldn't disagree more. The only difference between the two is how clutch Butler has been. Not really fair to say though as Gray hasn't been given that opportunity because he's always had Bouldin ahead of him getting those opportunities. I really believe we will see a huge senior season out of Gray.

cbbfanatic
03-30-2010, 03:08 PM
3 points

1) i would never compare gray to butler. not sure gray can be the main man on a team. butler is the epitome of that, and should (could) have been BE POY. the guy can score in so many ways, and is WAY bigger than gray. and has more dimensions. not a fair comparison for gray. butler is an elite college player, gray is very good.

2) back to the issue of toughness... my belief is that no mark few coached team (going forward especially) will ever have the grit and toughness of this WVU team. toughness is a culture thing, and it comes from the top, its not about just having big bodies and flipping the switch. i would think that there probably arent 5 fanbases that SHOULD be more in tune with this idea than gu fans. if you guys are sitting around hoping and waiting for this program to become a "tough" program, i think you have a very long wait. there's nothing wrong with being a softer, more finesse team.

3) playing styles, offensive and defensive strategies are night and day different in the two programs. gonzaga next yr and wvu this year both will flaunt some serious height and length, but the deployment of such size will be very different. did you guys see wvu's offense this year? it consisted of taking long shots and crashing the offensive boards for putbacks. i think they rebounded something like 40% of their misses this year. thats insane.

gum797
03-30-2010, 05:09 PM
I am not talking about GU will be as tough, I am talking about intensity. If we can play with the same intensity, than we will be very similar to WVU, especially in regards to rebounding. I agree, the biggest difference would be our offense should be much better. Usually I would agree with the points about our defense not being able to be what WVU is, but who knows now with the new hire!