PDA

View Full Version : 2010-2011

demian
03-27-2010, 10:40 PM
Very bored tonight so I was looking up some info for teams next year. Some teams I would keep my eye on for 2010-2011

Kansas State ( Curtis Kelly could be best big man in country, Jacob Pullen one of the best guards in country next year )

Baylor ( Lacedarious Dunn could be one of best players in country next year, Ekpe Udoh and Byron Acie are legit post players)

Butler ( all there best players are juniors or sophomores enough said they could be right on the mix again next year )

Xavier ( Jordan Crawford could be best player in country next year and Terrell holloway is a a legit point guard)

West Virginia ( Devin Ebanka and Kevin Jones will be awesome, "Truck Bryant and Joe Mizzula will be a good pair of point guards)

Washington ( tons of returning talent I am sure u all r aware of this)

Purdue ( definetly one of the best big men next year in Juwan johnson and of course the return of Robbie Hummel and Etwann Moore and a great defense)

I know alot of this depends on who goes pro early and which recruits are brought in but this is this is just a quick check on next years potential contenders please feel free to add to this list if you wish.

thespywhozaggedme
03-27-2010, 10:52 PM
I have a feeling a couple of the people you mentioned will declare early. My major, major sleeper for next years is NMSU. They return everyone except Gibson, but will slide Gillenwater into the starting 4. They lack nothing; size, rebounding, shooting. Look out for the Aggies of Las Cruces.

demian
03-27-2010, 11:07 PM
Wow thespywhozaggedme I love your prediction about New Mexico State for 2010-2011 I watched their semifinal game and championship game of the WAC tourney and fell in love with them and I actually picked them to Michigan State this year in 1sr round. I didn't know they had all those guys returning next year (gillenwader is a stud as well as that guard Young) count me in as being on their bandwagon for next year

bartruff1
03-28-2010, 06:05 AM
UCLA....North Carolina....KENTUCKY....

Reborn
03-28-2010, 07:38 AM
This was the year for the mid-majors to go deep because it's been a rebuilding year all over the country. As good as it looks for the Zags for next year, it looks just as good, and maybe better, for the rest of the Elite teams. Unless something really good happens in our recruiting (getting a really good shooter), and unless the guys can learn to get TOUGHER, then I wouldn't expect the Zags to go any deeper next year. We will have a great front court, but not so sure about our back court. Bol Kong is not high on my list as someone who can be a major contributor at this level. I just think he lacks intensity and has no idea about what the inner fire is. The Zags overall really lack this fire as a team, imo. As I watched the teams advance in this tournament, the ones that did advanc had brightly burning fires. They had passion, AND I could tell they HATED to lose. I KNOW they did not have an attitude that if WE lose it will be because our shots weren't falling. I hate that attitude. It's so weak. How about "we lost because the other team wanted it more. They out fought us.

demian
03-28-2010, 08:22 AM
I would put Memphis on my list of teams to watch for 2010-2011. They have Weatherspoon, Robert Sallie and Elliot Williams all back plus they are bringing in the #1 Recruiting class in the country

BobZag
03-28-2010, 09:10 AM
Is LaceDarius Dunn just a junior? Seems like he's been around for ten years!

Fwiw, I don't see UCLA coming back next year; it looks like two years at the earliest. Howland doesn't recruit like Calipari, which might be a good thing. :)

Thanks, demian.

demian
03-28-2010, 09:46 AM
you are welcome BobZag. ESPN has LaceDarius Dunn listed as a junior, you are right it does seem that he has been around forever. I have an interesting story to share about Ben Howland. I have a freind who was the team chaplain at University of Oregon from the mid 90's up until last year. He traveled with the team throughout the pac 10 and talked to many players and other basketball people throughout the league. I remember talking to him about the UCLA team the year after they beat Gonzaga in the sweet 16 and they made their first final four of this decade. I mantioned to my freind that "man that Ben Howland must be a heck of a coach, such a tough coach and demanding they play his way,just think how he is going to recruit at that program and demand the kids play his way now that he has gotten them to a final four so early." My freind said you know what I have heard is that those players at UCLA absolutely and positively hate Ben Howland. I was shocked. He said that it was well known around the league that he is not a liked coach by his players. I know this is all heresay and maybe it means nothing and I do know that the coach doesnt need to be the players best freind and that there should be some fear in the players regarding their coach. But to hate your coach might mean you wont be quite the ambassador for that coach after you have left the program and maybe that is having an effect on their recruiting because they do not look like they have the recruits in that program right now. I certainly am not acting like I know everything here or that i know what is going on in the UCLA players heads or the potential recruits I am just sharing an interesting story from somebody who was in volved with the Pac 10 and just sharing my thoughts on this right or wrong.

Fwiw, I don't see UCLA coming back next year; it looks like two years at the earliest. Howland doesn't recruit like Calipari, which might be a good thing. :)

Thanks, demian.

thespywhozaggedme
03-28-2010, 09:56 AM

Thanks, demian.

Agreed, JS and Howland are a train wreck waiting to happen. People thought Love was a little overweight @ UCLA; Smith is already rockin' the man boobs.

thespywhozaggedme
03-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Wow thespywhozaggedme I love your prediction about New Mexico State for 2010-2011 I watched their semifinal game and championship game of the WAC tourney and fell in love with them and I actually picked them to Michigan State this year in 1sr round. I didn't know they had all those guys returning next year (gillenwader is a stud as well as that guard Young) count me in as being on their bandwagon for next year

As did I, we almost got that one right. Laroche, Jamar Young, Wendall McKines, Gillenwater and Rahman is one of the best starting 5's in the entire country; crazy athleticism, skill and size.

NovaZag
03-28-2010, 04:00 PM
Michigan State returns nearly everyone except Morgan. New Mexico also.

gamagin
03-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Ekpe Udoh. Just amazing. Unstoppable.

MickMick
03-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Ekpe Udoh. Just amazing. Unstoppable.

Udoh was very, very impressive today.

Today only reinforced what I have felt for a long time. It is a shame that Nolan Smith for Duke isn't held in higher regard nationally.

Duke would just be another typical Duke team without him. He is a huge difference maker for them and was the one player that shredded the Zags more than any other in MSG.

Having said that, I expect WVU to win. I also need WVU to win. I have WVU winning the whole thing in my bracket at work and I am currently one game out of first. I had Duke and WVU in the final four. Forget the other regions....I was shot out of the water after the first weekend.

zagster318
03-28-2010, 08:00 PM
Michigan State returns nearly everyone except Morgan. New Mexico also.

IIRC, Michigan State also has a top 5 recruiting class coming in next year.

flutieflakes
03-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Obviously, things will change with the Draft, transfers, injuries and suspensions, but I was just thinking about it, and I suppose I'll ask it here: Could Butler really end up being the preseason #1 this next year? They look like the best team in the country right now, and they bring everyone back except Veasley. That would be crazy to see.

skan72
03-28-2010, 10:08 PM

Today only reinforced what I have felt for a long time. It is a shame that Nolan Smith for Duke isn't held in higher regard nationally.

Duke would just be another typical Duke team without him. He is a huge difference maker for them and was the one player that shredded the Zags more than any other in MSG.

Having said that, I expect WVU to win. I also need WVU to win. I have WVU winning the whole thing in my bracket at work and I am currently one game out of first. I had Duke and WVU in the final four. Forget the other regions....I was shot out of the water after the first weekend.

On the other hand, I have seen Nolan Smith crap the bed in games and shoot the lights on... I've seen a lot more very bad games from Smith than good, but I haven't seen too many games in total of Duke's, I probably just catch, by coincidence, the ones he doesn't perform well in. For instance, I missed today's game.

Birddog
03-29-2010, 03:52 AM
I also need WVU to win. I have WVU winning the whole thing in my bracket at work and I am currently one game out of first. I had Duke and WVU in the final four. Forget the other regions....I was shot out of the water after the first weekend.
That's the same situation that I'm in. Go Mountaineers!

Reborn
03-29-2010, 06:43 AM

I've got the same two in the final 4 as well. I have West Virginia winning it all. But these 4 teams are pretty even, and all have a good chance of winning it all. I suppose it'll mostly depend on whose shots are falling that night.:D lol It's really amazing that the 4 teams that made it all are GREAT defensive TEAMS.

demian
03-29-2010, 08:24 AM
I agree MickMick, Nolan Smith of Duke is an excellent point guard.