PDA

View Full Version : Butler - K.State

Goshzagit
03-27-2010, 12:57 PM
18-10 with 7 mins remaining in 1st half.

Butler is good. The 'other' Bulldogs truly believe they can beat any team they face and it shows. Their on-court confidence is a sight to see.

They get after it on defense(especially their guards) unlike any team I've seen in the Tourney thus far.

This year's Butler team would whoop us if we played them this season. While we equal them in talent, they are head and shoulders above us in basketball acumen, ball movement, and defensive hustle.

Lastly, if Shelvin Mack was running the show for us, the Zags would easily be a shoe-in for F4 contention this year and next.

Fun game to watch. Go Butler!!!

If they reach the F4, I think they are the new 'mid-major' king of the hill in College Hoops--they might already be there, imo.

Goshzagit
03-27-2010, 01:03 PM
Man, just take a moment and watch how Butler's guards defend K-State's guards. Its amazing. On them like glue and a hand in their face on every shot. Not launching themselves toward the shooter 2 seconds after they shoot it or just watching the ball go up and in.

They obviously pride themselves on their perimeter defense.

As BZ eluded to, can we hire Butler's defensive coach? :)

MDABE80
03-27-2010, 01:11 PM
Long ...skillful and persistent. Disciplined...Butler's ahead by 11.

Goshzagit
03-27-2010, 01:15 PM
Here's the kicker:

Butler has shot poorly in every game they've won in this tournament. They shot sub-40% vs Syracuse and shooting 34% vs Kansas St in the 1st half.

I hope our guys realize that when you bust your arse on defense, you'll always be in the game and have a chance to win if your shots aren't falling. Gonzaga relies so much on offense that when our players go cold, we struggle mightily or lose games we shouldn't. Every game we lost this season we gave up soooo many unnecessary points(85 to USF, 70-some to LMU, 80-some to 'Cuse, etc).

We have one of the best offensive systems and players in the country, but fail to execute on the defensive side time and time again, esp along the perimeter.

Heck, Butler is averaging 39% from the field in this Tourney, yet still winning close games. They extend their defense, defend the perimeter, and actually are the complete opposite in philosophies. They prefer to guard the 3pt line moreso than the interior. They give up the occasional 2's but not the 3's. Kind of like we did vs SMC the first time around--and it worked brilliantly. I understand the Coaches prefer "law of averages" as their standard for defense, I'd like to see us try something new.

Obviously, I'd like to see us get better on defense and we could learn a thing or two from Butler's philosophy and hustle.

LynetteG
03-27-2010, 01:44 PM
Come on Butler!

cggonzaga
03-27-2010, 01:54 PM
Scary thought for the rest of the teams next year....Butler could conceivably return everyone!

Zagpower
03-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Not only great defense but love how they all block out. Rebounding is a lot easier when you have five guys blocking out on every shot.

john montana
03-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Butler playing very well but part of this is that kstate is flat out dumb.

surfmonkey89
03-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Butler playing very well but part of this is that kstate is flat out dumb.

A very, very small part.

Butler is schooling them.

john montana
03-27-2010, 02:11 PM
Every time Kelly touches the ball something good happens. Nonidea why they don't give that kid the ball.

killerbootsman
03-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Jim Burr is playing his part as 6th man on the court for Butler. Kind of him.

JAGzag
03-27-2010, 02:18 PM
If Butler makes the FF before us, I'm afraid we'll inherit the title "the next Butler" and not the other way around as it's been for the past few years! Too bad.

gamagin
03-27-2010, 02:24 PM
If Butler makes the FF before us, I'm afraid we'll inherit the title "the next Butler" and not the other way around as it's been for the past few years! Too bad.

an accurate assessment. This Clemente, however, will likely have something to say about it in the end. He is amazing.

john montana
03-27-2010, 02:26 PM
I still think this game has been more about kstate making dumb plays than butler. Butler has played smart and steady and let kstate take dumb shots and make stupid fouls. That last deep three by pullen when down one? Did they forget Kelly is on the team? Then put butler back on the line. Kstate is really talented but not playing smart.

MDABE80
03-27-2010, 02:30 PM
Like Moses pointing to the Promised Land? We just set the stage for the next great smaller program...and it's never been forgotten!....nor will it be as our program hasn't missed a beat...sniffed an E8 but we'll keep pluggin away till we get there..

Butler's in a nasty dogfight now.....luck, courage, poise...discipline..but did I mention "luck"? How they win this one.. and we still have the ladies tonight...one not to be missed.

gamagin
03-27-2010, 02:34 PM
like that inbound play where KState stopped and Butler kept going. They've earned this game, imo. but likely aint over til its really over.

gamagin
03-27-2010, 02:36 PM
great game Butler

ellenvega
03-27-2010, 02:37 PM
Congrats to Butler. They really really deserve it.

Someday it will be us. Someday.

Funny how one side of the bracket will be a midmajor and a big conference also-ran and the other side pure college b-ball royalty.

Goshzagit
03-27-2010, 02:37 PM
In all honestly, I hope Gonzaga can be considered the 'next Butler'. They deserve their statusk and accolades.

We've never made a F4 and until we get a PG who can run the show like Butler's Shelvin Mack or play defense with the grit and determination like they do, we won't ever attain the promised land.

Butler is the new 'king of the hill' of all mid-majors everywhere, including Gonzaga.

john montana
03-27-2010, 02:42 PM
Glad to see butler get it done. Stevens to Oregon? Hah!

surfmonkey89
03-27-2010, 02:42 PM
In all honestly, I hope Gonzaga can be considered the 'next Butler'. They deserve their statusk and accolades.

We've never made a F4 and until we get a PG who can run the show like Butler's Shelvin Mack or play defense with the grit and determination like they do, we won't ever attain the promised land.

Butler is the new 'king of the hill' of all mid-majors everywhere, including Gonzaga.

Every one of those Bulldogs can shoot the rock, and they have that chaotic refuse to lose look about them that we haven't had since....well, for a while now.

Birddog
03-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Not enough superlatives to describe Butler. They earned it.

ellenvega
03-27-2010, 02:49 PM
And not a huge surprise either. Back at the beginning of the year people were saying they set up well for a Final 4 run.

George Mason they ain't.

U Zig, I Zag
03-27-2010, 06:53 PM
I was rather dispassionate about the whole game while watching. I really didn't care a whole ton but if I was rooting it was for Butler, the mid-major.

I will say this: D is one thing, but like 'Cuse against us - no matter what you do, in this case K-State, - sometimes it is not falling, sometimes it is. K-State was not hitting the chippies for nothing. Some of those drop and its a different game. Butler's D is part of that but a lot of it is just the 'way it goes' sometimes.

Tell you what. I wouldn't put cash down that Butler wins 4 out of 7, or even 3 out of 5. (Wouldn't bet on GU beating 'Cuse in either series, fwiw).

kitzbuel
03-27-2010, 07:17 PM
What impressed me is how Butler stayed with their game plan. They recognized that Pullen and Clemente were the key to K State's attack and focused on them, particularly in the first half and, with a solid recommitment, at the end of the game.

What happened when K State climbed back into the game? Butler reasserted its focus from the first half; double Pullen and Clemente, don't let them have a clean look and then block out. They did not change gameplans. They did not suddenly start swapping out players trying to find someone who might provide a spark. They did not let a player try to put the team on his back. They recommited to the game plan.

K State had to adjust their game plan at half time to try getting their guards back into the game because that is how they win. So Butler's adjustment in the second half was to just get back to what they did in the first; clamping down on Pullen and Clemente, sealing out on rebounds.