PDA

View Full Version : Rice is gone

Salsageek
03-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Just got an email from co-worker. Can someone confirm?

omahazag
03-25-2010, 04:15 PM
If true, that should lay to rest any rumors of Few leaving

surfmonkey89
03-25-2010, 04:16 PM
From Jeff Goodman (FOX Sports) on twitter:

Source told FOXSports.com that Gonzaga assistant Leon Rice just accepted Boise State job. Further proof Mark Few isn't going anywhere.

So sorry to see this guy leave. He's one of my favorite coaches. If we ever play BSU at the Kennel I hope to be there so I can show him my gratitude.

omahazag
03-25-2010, 04:18 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5028963

Well, looks like it's true. Best of luck. I hope boise will support the team like it did when i was a kid watching them play - used to pack the place while in the Big Sky.

rawkmandale
03-25-2010, 04:19 PM
Well, best wishes to him if this is true. I'm not certain what Coach Rice's responsibilites were in recruiting, etc, but he is certainly a character, and probably well liked by everyone.

gamagin
03-25-2010, 04:26 PM
best of luck to him. Now I know why Mark didn't discuss going fishing on his last radio show -- he's got to hit the recruiting trail for athletes himself.

I hope Rice doesn't take any of our (future) guys with him.

MDABE80
03-25-2010, 04:29 PM
No worries.....we'll be fine. Few knows the kids he wants....good luck to Leon!! Great place to make grow! Lots of support there....

Goshzagit
03-25-2010, 04:31 PM
Congrats to Coach Rice! More than deserved. Best of luck to him his endeavors at BSU. He has the recruiting connections in the Western US and coaching ability to take Boise St to another level. While BSU is widely considered a "football school", it's only a matter of time they'll be known for hoops as well.

Now that Coach Rice is leaving, I wonder whom will be promoted to Associate Head Coach? I've heard this position(formely held by Coach Grier) is quite the promotion from a pay grade & responsibility perspective. I just hope its enough to keep Coach G interested in staying at Gonzaga. I'm sure Ray has noticed this position is coveted by D1 School across the Country. As we continue to peform at a high level, schools better than Toledo will come knocking at this door.

I sincerely hope Coach Ray G stays a few more years--he's a tremendous recruiter, defensive coach, and confidant of Few's.

misszigzag
03-25-2010, 04:31 PM
Best wishes to Coach Rice!

BobZag
03-25-2010, 04:32 PM
A bit of a surprise. BSU has the 6th biggest hoops budget in the 9-team WAC. Not really committed. Everything is geared to football. They could switch soon to the MWC but they'd need to commit more to men's basketball if they hope to be competitive.

Good luck.

surfmonkey89
03-25-2010, 04:36 PM
Wonder who is next in line to replace Few now...

Goshzagit
03-25-2010, 04:39 PM

Gotta be Coach G, right? Unless, of course, he's leaving too...:(

ZagNative
03-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Got to be Tommy, doesn't it? Or is he too young?

My favorite Leon Rice story (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2002859771_few12.html), from Bud Withers back in March 06:
Before that, Monson, Few and Grier shared a house in Spokane for a time, bachelors and basketball coaches. There would be summer gatherings of a dozen friends in the high country of Sisters, Ore., when they'd have decathlons two-on-two basketball, doubles tennis, bowling, a poker tournament and the like.

"Mark always seemed to be the guy that instigated it and held everything together," Rice says. " 'You're going this year, or you don't get invited back next year.' You could never tell him no."

Rice did once, as an assistant at Northern Colorado. Few was going to marry a striking student of Basque descent at Gonzaga, Marcy Laca, whom he'd met when she worked monitoring the entrance to the school's athletic facility. The bachelor party was a fishing trip to Montana.

Rice begged off, too broke as a low-paid assistant to fly north. Some of Few's friends scraped together the funds with a hitch. They flew Rice up without telling Few and deposited him on I-90 east of Spokane in a sheik's costume with a wig and a fake mustache.

"Nooo," Few protested, as their van pulled to the side of the highway. "We're not picking up a hitchhiker."

But they were. Rice, yelping "Mee-zooo-la, Mee-zooo-la" the sheik was bound for Missoula leaped joyfully onto a shocked Few before the object of the prank realized what was up.

BobZag
03-25-2010, 04:42 PM

If Few keeps it in-house, it'll be Brian Michaelson or Alex Hernandez. With the good assistant pay, Few could bring in a really good coach who is proven, ala Giacoletti. This is to replace Leon, not Few.

MDABE80
03-25-2010, 04:45 PM
BZ...I don't think Leon would take the BSU job unless he had assurances of an expanding budget. I wouldn't.

LynetteG
03-25-2010, 04:46 PM
What Few did when RG came was moved Rice and Lloyd up and RG was the 2nd assistant behind Tommy. My guess is if someone new comes in, Lloyd moves up as associate, RG is 1st assistant and the new guy (or a Michelson/Hernandez promotion) is the 2nd assistant.

GoZags
03-25-2010, 04:46 PM
A bit of a surprise. BSU has the 6th biggest hoops budget in the 9-team WAC. Not really committed. Everything is geared to football. They could switch soon to the MWC but they'd need to commit more to men's basketball if they hope to be competitive.

Good luck.

It is Boise State's fervent desire to be players in football and basketball. That commitment (to basketball) started today. Good luck to Leon, Robin and family. They will be deeply missed.

Goshzagit
03-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Bobzag stated:

Leon and Ray are looking but nothing too serious. The BSU job intrigued Rice and the Hawaii job intrigued Ray, but BSU and UH are out now.

I honestly don't think the Zags will lose any of the coaches this year. And Elias is returning. :)

Of course I'm not calling out BZ whatsoever, b/c quite honestly this kinda stuff is unpredictable and no one knows exactly what the Coaches are thinking at the end of the day, but this makes me a little more nervous about whether Elias could be leaving as well.

Could it be possible we lose Coach Rice, Coach Ray G, and Elias in the same season!? Sometimes the price of long-term success can be sacrificial...

BobZag
03-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Yup, I whiffed. My source "assumed" too much. That always backfires on me.

I wish him all the best. He's one of the nicest I've met.

madness
03-25-2010, 05:06 PM
It will be interesting to see Coach Rice's style implanted in another school (ala Grier at USD). In the limited contact I've had with Rice, I can say he's a gentleman and a scholar.

GorgeZag
03-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Love the guys on the staff but wouldn't be opposed to some new blood. One that can teach some solid perimeter defense and is great recruiter.

surfmonkey89
03-25-2010, 05:09 PM
Love the guys on the staff but wouldn't be opposed to some new blood. One that can teach some solid perimeter defense and is great recruiter.

Because those guys grow on trees.

Once and Future Zag
03-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Congrats to Coach Rice.

Quite a coaching tree we're developing at GU - with ties to the SCU (Fitz under Carroll) and, very tangentially, Michigan State (Heathcoat) trees as well.

That being said, if Alex or Brian "move up" the ranks, I'd love to see a true big man coach... someone who - like Reveno - has been there and done that on the court as a C/PF - and preferably a former GU player.

PilotNut
03-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Congrats to Coach Rice... a solid hire by BSU.

There are a lot of relieved fans in purple on The Bluff right now...

Goshzagit
03-25-2010, 05:31 PM
That being said, if Alex or Brian "move up" the ranks, I'd love to see a true big man coach... someone who - like Reveno - has been there and done that on the court as a C/PF - and preferably a former GU player.

Good call. Well, ol' Casey Calvary worked wonders spending time with Big Rob in the offseason. I'd say CC would make a tremendous Coach for the Zags. Seems like he'd bring toughness, court experience, and knowledge to our staff. Coach Few always said he was a great student of the game and was a Coaches' dream as a player. Hmmm....

ZaginLaw
03-25-2010, 05:44 PM
Good get for BSU. I'll think it'll perk some interest here. Tickets remained constant (low) even with making the NCAA's. Definitely a Football school and fan base - but then again, Oregon thinks they are a football school as well...

jim77
03-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Good call. Well, ol' Casey Calvary worked wonders spending time with Big Rob in the offseason. I'd say CC would make a tremendous Coach for the Zags. Seems like he'd bring toughness, court experience, and knowledge to our staff. Coach Few always said he was a great student of the game and was a Coaches' dream as a player. Hmmm....

Don't know if he's in the market for a coaching job.....I sure as heck would not want to come back to the bench after loafing a few plays. I'd love to see him on the sidelines....is John Stockton busy?

Rbo
03-25-2010, 06:06 PM
My guess is that Few is not only out recruiting a JCO guard, but an assistant coach too.

zagking
03-25-2010, 06:20 PM
Great news for bsu. I was hoping for a high profile name. I'll have to meet him ASAP

Vanzagger
03-25-2010, 06:35 PM
coach Rice!

Section 116
03-25-2010, 06:44 PM
http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/03/25/1130831/espncom-boise-state-hires-gonzaga.html

deathchina
03-25-2010, 06:49 PM
Congrats to coach Rice!

SWZag
03-26-2010, 06:39 AM
This is a bit of a bummer. I really liked Rice. But I do wish him very well. I'm very happy that Rice chose a school that is not in direct competition with Gonzaga, as Grier did. Boise State will be a great place to start a head coaching career. Best of luck, Leon! Go Broncos!!

The GU coaching influence continues to grow. The tree is spreading further.

SWZag

cjm720
03-26-2010, 06:42 AM
It will be interesting to see Coach Rice's style implanted in another school (ala Grier at USD).

Me too, but I can't help think he's making a bad long term decision. I do wish Coach Rice the best of luck!!!

ZagDaddy
03-26-2010, 08:16 AM
Congrats to Coach Rice!

Also, don't overlook the implied message behind this: When the Assoc Head Coach leaves to take a head coaching job elsewhere that is a very good sign that the current Head Coach has no plans to leave anytime soon.

gamagin
03-26-2010, 08:36 AM
Just got an email from co-worker. Can someone confirm?

how about a little backstory on how this leaked out and how you wound up with it ?

Inquiring minds etc., & thanks

madness
03-26-2010, 09:48 AM
Also, is it possible Rice takes any of the coaching staff with him (Bankhead went to USD)?

Stache
03-26-2010, 10:13 AM
Leon and his wife have been everything GU could hope for in terms a coach and family. Leon coached his kids and others in our community, was always approachable and gracious, and clearly put his heart and soul into the GU program. His wife served as a sort of "den mother" for many of our players. A surrogate mom for kids away from home and under the pressures of being at college and being in the spot light. She has had the kids at her dinner table and been an invaluable emotional support.

We talk about players in terms of whether they are "zag material," and in my mind that incorporates much more than their bball skills. The Rice family provided bball and life lessons to our young men that helped them become better humans. They will be missed, but in a very big picture view - let's hope they can produce excellent players and young men in Boise like they have in Spokane. We all win that way.

ZagNative
03-26-2010, 10:16 AM
Leon and his wife have been everything GU could hope for in terms a coach and family. Leon coached his kids and others in our community, was always approachable and gracious, and clearly put his heart and soul into the GU program. His wife served as a sort of "den mother" for many of our players. A surrogate mom for kids away from home and under the pressures of being at college and being in the spot light. She has had the kids at her dinner table and been an invaluable emotional support.

We talk about players in terms of whether they are "zag material," and in my mind that incorporates much more than their bball skills. The Rice family provided bball and life lessons to our young men that helped them become better humans. They will be missed, but in a very big picture view - let's hope they can produce excellent players and young men in Boise like they have in Spokane. We all win that way.What a great post! Thank you!