PDA

View Full Version : Oregon dreaming big

23dpg
03-25-2010, 08:05 AM
From the Oregonian.

Gonzaga's Mark Few, Texas A&M's Mark Turgeon, Pittsburgh's Jamie Dixon and Florida's Billy Donovan are believed to be at or near the top of the Ducks' list.

Any of those 4 would be a huge get for Oregon. Let's hope they go east!

sittingon50
03-25-2010, 08:07 AM
What, no Williams, Calhoun or Boeheim?

HillBillyZag
03-25-2010, 08:12 AM
Wish on one hand & crap on the other and see which gets fullest?

VinnyZag
03-25-2010, 09:21 AM
What, no Williams, Calhoun or Boeheim?

Why not go after Coach K? Dean Smith is available, right? How about Phil Jackson?

sonuvazag
03-25-2010, 09:24 AM
Is John Wooden interested?

CDC84
03-25-2010, 10:43 AM
Naismith

Birddog
03-25-2010, 04:09 PM
On the drive home tonight, the local SportsMorons were saying that Orlando "Tubby" Smith's name has been mentioned as a possible candidate. Big deal, Tubby's name gets mentioned for almost all decent vacancies.

surfmonkey89
03-25-2010, 04:13 PM
Here's one thing I don't understand.

Sure, I get that Few is "from Oregon". Maybe he'll take the job, maybe he won't.

But why would it matter that it's close to where he's from? Has anyone looked at a map? It's not like he's in Fairbanks and he's from Key West. It's about as close as you can get to home and coach a great team without actually living in Creswell.

GorgeZag
03-25-2010, 04:50 PM
We can scoff all we want but its obvious that the Ducks are investing heavily in their basketball program, so why not try to get a big name? They're spending a ton on a new arena and need a coach that can recruit and build a program that will fill it. With the best arena in the country, a quality coach, and the Nike connects, there is no reason why Oregon can't be a top program. While they don't have much tradition, they do have a championship and several deep tourny runs.

cbbfanatic
03-26-2010, 09:12 AM
We can scoff all we want but its obvious that the Ducks are investing heavily in their basketball program, so why not try to get a big name? They're spending a ton on a new arena and need a coach that can recruit and build a program that will fill it. With the best arena in the country, a quality coach, and the Nike connects, there is no reason why Oregon can't be a top program. While they don't have much tradition, they do have a championship and several deep tourny runs.

not sure many fan bases "scoff" better than the zags...

i agree, this is a desirable job. its all about resources and commitment, they have both.

GrizZAG
03-26-2010, 10:00 AM
A person that works for my company in Eugene just called me to tell me he heard an interview on local radio with Mark Few's father yesterday. His dad stated that Mark is not leaving Gonzaga. Did anyone else hear about this?
The guy that called is a huge Duck fan and was not happy.

Mr Vulture
03-26-2010, 10:19 AM
There is a link to the interview with Norm Few in one of these threads...

GrizZAG
03-26-2010, 10:42 AM
A bit different than I had heard.

:link: http://kezi.com/news/local/167480

VinnyZag
03-26-2010, 10:51 AM
so why not try to get a big name?

I agree that Phil Knight U. will probably get a big-name coach. But Billy Donovan? C'mon.

CDC84
03-26-2010, 10:55 AM
Call me skeptical, but no matter how deep Knight's pockets are, no matter how splendid that new arena will be.....I have zero reason to believe that the new men's basketball coach is going to make more $$$ than the football coach is presently getting. That's out of principle because Oregon is a football school. If that's the case, Oregon can't dream big when hiring its next men's basketball coach. It's not about whether they have the $$$ or not - it's about which direction the $$$ flows, and basketball is not the highest priority in Eugene.

Once and Future Zag
03-26-2010, 10:59 AM
i agree, this is a desirable job. its all about resources and commitment, they have both.

Desirable for a certain "type", it's a fickle and vociferous fanbase and an athletics department very beholden to Phil. It's not a job for someone who isn't willing to put in lots of politicking/schmoozing time.

The UofO is a great school in a lovely city, in one of the most beautiful parts of the US. They're putting tons of resources behind upgrading their hoops program. That doesn't make the job itself universally desirable.

NB: Lots of UofO grads and boosters in my family

gamagin
03-26-2010, 11:04 AM
on his payroll already. And has for years. Nike pays them & their schools and does whatever else it takes for them to wear that swoosh.

Surely, he can get one of them to join him for a little home cooking now and again. it seems. Of course "the deal" looks more like a curse the way the expectations are bandied about.

Like finding the second-coming of John Wooden is considered a good start.

But with all the abilities a Nike has to find a real, talented, young, relatively unknown yet very promising coach to come to Oregon would just not be that difficult.

Trying to steal one from the clutches of this or that program that already enjoys the fruits of his labors, otoh, appears to be very difficult, if not impossible.

whatazag
03-26-2010, 11:08 AM
Here's one thing I don't understand.

Sure, I get that Few is "from Oregon". Maybe he'll take the job, maybe he won't.

But why would it matter that it's close to where he's from? Has anyone looked at a map? It's not like he's in Fairbanks and he's from Key West. It's about as close as you can get to home and coach a great team without actually living in Creswell.

Few went to UO.

Not that I think he will take the job. If he does, the GU basketball program will be in big trouble, though, and all of the people who were calling for Few's head after losing to a number 1 seed in the tournament will look foolish.

zag69
03-26-2010, 06:19 PM
.......Not that I think he will take the job. If he does, the GU basketball program will be in big trouble, though, and all of the people who were calling for Few's head after losing to a number 1 seed in the tournament will look foolish.

They already do.

MDABE80
03-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Doesn't matter that Oregon put $200 million into that arena. It's a testimonial to Nike and Knight....Few's already on the recruiting trail. He'll stay...not even a concern. His head won't be turned by cash....

willandi
03-26-2010, 07:25 PM
Maybe to compete with Oregon State, they could get Obama. I hear he's a b'ball guy.:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

He's also a big name!!

ZigZagSoCal
03-26-2010, 11:48 PM
I hear one of the Teletubbies is available. Haven't seen them other than reruns. I think the Yellow one is for hire. Someone please confirm.