PDA

View Full Version : Top 12 Zags of the last 12 years: #4

VanillaGorilla
03-24-2010, 06:05 PM
Sorry for the long delay, but I needed some time off after the SMC game and then the tourney was upon us. I get the final 3 up quicker than the last couple

edited to add: Just out of curiosity does the end of the season effect where you would have Matt Bouldin? I had him at 7 a month ago and that is where I would leave him. anyone differ?

12. Jeremy Pargo

11. Derek Raivio

10. Cory Violette

9. JP Batista

8. Richie Frahm

7. Matt Bouldin

6. Ronny Turiaf

5 Casey Cavalry
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=27408

4. Matt Santangelo
http://www.gonzagabulletin.com/polopoly_fs/1.846982!/image/151092518.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_240/151092518.jpg

Why he’s here: The guy on the team that started it all. He was the engine that made the team go. There were 2 other guys in the top 8 on this list so there was obviously a lot of talent on his teams but no one had a more consistent four years than Santangelo. He never averaged less than 12.7 pts per game or 4.1 assists per game for his career. His career totals are as good as anyone who ever put on the uniform. He finished 1,810 points which are behind only Morrison in the last 20 years. He also has the career and single season record for all-time assists.

He came up big in big games several times throughout his career. He dropped 22 points to lead the Zags over Stanford in the tourney. The following season he had 26 including 6 threes to defeat St John’s in the second round. And before any of the tourney success he led the Zags with 19 points against #5 Clemson at the Top of the World Classic in 1997.

Before Santangelo most people knew Gonzaga as the alma mater of John Stockton, if at all. With Matt’s help Guard U became known all over the region if not the country. He is the type of PG that we are all craving in our program right now. He ran the team with aplomb and scores in a variety ways and can shoot it from deep and the stripe.

Simply put, if there was no Santangelo there is no GU as we know it today.

4th all time in career points, 1,810; 1st all time in assists, 688; 4th in FG made and 3rd in 3ptrs made; 9th in steals

Why he’s not higher: I know from previous posts that many of you will disagree with his placement here. And honestly this is mostly personal preference. I just think Stepp was better. Stepp was really close in scoring and right there in assists. He was the better shooter and had more steals. Santangelo was a 3 time 1st team performer, but never the conference player of the year. I know it’s not necessarily his fault, but the league coaches saw fit to vote Eric Schraeder and Kenyon Jones as POY ahead of him his final two years. His tourney resume is certainly better, but I would take Stepp over Santangelo every time

Season GP MPG PPG FG% 3FG% FT% APG RPG BPG SPG
1999-00 35 35.7 13.2 37.3 33.5 65.4 6.4 3.9 0.2 0.8
1998-99 35 32.0 12.7 37.5 38.1 77.5 5.3 3.3 0.4 1.0
1997-98 34 33.1 16.1 43.5 43.0 76.9 4.1 3.2 0.2 0.8
1996-97 27 31.4 13.2 43.9 42.3 69.5 4.4 2.9 0.2 0.9

jazzdelmar
03-24-2010, 06:47 PM
no argument from me.....matt was our st peter

MedZag
03-24-2010, 07:04 PM
Would put Matt above Blake simply for the clutch factor. Then again, Stepp's injured-induced 17% fg % in the NCAAs his senior year still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I thought that team had a great draw for a deep run. They're probably a push when it comes down to it.

Once and Future Zag
03-24-2010, 07:38 PM
I'd probably put Matt #2 - Dan had two phenomenal years, but... only 2 years. My apologies, but I won't put a 2 year guy over Matt S. ever. Blake had 4 really great years, but, unfortunately never really distinguished himself in the tourney.

If I had to "re-sort" these top 4 only, I'd put DD here at #4.

Of all the players we've had (and that I've seen play) since I started attending GU in 1994 - there's still yet to be one that I'd rather see bring the ball up the court, down 1 with 15 seconds to play.

One thing I took away from Gonzaga is that success is just a byproduct of doing things the right way. That's why we were successful and I think that's why they continue to be successful. The kids are taught how to do things correctly early on and all the other stuff, the recognition, the notoriety, the wins, is just a byproduct.

Emphasis mine, but the words are Matt's.

Russell Bevan
03-24-2010, 08:03 PM
Wow, Matt at four? Really? Four?

Didn't he lead us to the Elite Eight and Sweet Sixteen? Wasn't he the ultimate team leader? Wasn't he always clutch? Four? Ouch.

I have really enjoyed your list and respect your calls, just have a hard time with this one.

jimmy b
03-24-2010, 09:13 PM
I'd be partial to Matt ranking higher. DD was special but only was a two year player and if we are ranking on importance, Matt would have to be higher IMO.

Matt frustrated the point guard in me at times, especially his senior year, like against Oregon in Hawaii. But I won't forget the St. Johns sweet 16 game. The players sat near us behind the basket as the prior game was winding down (I remember Najera playing but not much else)....I looked at the guys thinking this should be their last game as seniors. I was so nervous for them. But Matt was Ice. His play against St. Johns was one of the most clutch individual performances I've witnessed.

He's meant a ton to the program.

He also strikes me as a team first guy....remember he mostly gave up the PG spot, numbers, etc. because we were a better team with Q Hall on the floor. He's a winner.

jazzdelmar
03-25-2010, 04:31 AM
matt s, blake, dd--an embarrassment of point guard riches -- leadership, clutch play, unselfishness......

one assumes ammo is #1

kitzbuel
03-25-2010, 05:06 AM
no argument from me.....matt was our st peter
I would think your heart would be wounded with Matt S being a lowly #4!

I would also put Santangelo above DD.

IMO Ammo, then Santangelo and then Blake and DD battle it out for #3.

jazzdelmar
03-25-2010, 05:14 AM
I would think your heart would be wounded with Matt S being a lowly #4!

I would also put Santangelo above DD.

IMO Ammo, then Santangelo and then Blake and DD battle it out for #3.

true, but mostly cuz of our shared ethnicity :D reminds me of great valvano line, asked if he recruited chris corchiani, tom gugliotta, and several other italian fellas because they are italian, jimmy v replied, "no, because i am."

LongIslandZagFan
03-25-2010, 06:07 AM
Gonna go out on a limb and say 1-3 will be Ammo, DD, and Stepp in that order. I have no problem with the order to this point, although IMHO, I'd likely swap Santangelo and Stepp, but I am cool with this order too.

tobizag
03-25-2010, 06:49 AM
just to add my two cents:

i have a hard time placing two non-4 year guys at #1 and #2, which we can assume is where this is going.

my top 5 would look like this

1. santangelo
2. calvary
3. morrison
4. dickau
5. stepp

maynard g krebs
03-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Calvary and Santangelo are both too low on this list imo. Those two were the biggest keys to getting the whole thing going. Only Morrison is in the top 3 conversation with them. DD is my personal favorite, but only 2 yrs drops him on the list, and Stepp didn't deliver in the tourney.