View Full Version : Butler has no chance against Syracuse

MickMick
03-22-2010, 07:43 PM
That's right.

I'm callin it.

A blow out.

MDABE80
03-22-2010, 07:47 PM
More talent but it's the playoffs...Butler dropped more than I thought they would in the early season but did very well the rest of the way in. They might lose but unless Cuse shoots like they did against us, it'll be a close one...Butler's very schooled in fundamentals....

kyle dixon
03-22-2010, 07:59 PM
I have watched Butler numerous times this year. Congrats on your Sweet 16 berth. I have never seen a team (Xavier) get more homered than they were at Hinkle Fieldhouse in December. The clock just happened to stop after a made Butler field goal to end the game (isn' t it ironic, don't you think). X is now even threatening to quit that series ( do not blame them whatsoever).

Butler won 20 games in their conference in a row. Again congrats. If anyone on the Zag board can tell me where Wright State (2nd place team is from), i will give you major props. The five man guard offense that they run may work in your conference and against Murray State, but when you play Syracuse good luck. I think this one may not be as bad as the Zag-Cuse game, but it is going to be 15+

GUDan07
03-22-2010, 08:00 PM
While Butler has very little chance, if anyone should know that anyone can beat anyone in the tournament it's a Gonzaga fan.

MedZag
03-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Part of me feels like I should root for 'Cuse the rest of the way out, there's something cathartic about being knocked out by the "eventual national champion".

That being said, Butler are blood brothers, and I really am pulling for them to pull off the win. They play a very methodical style that could work well for them in orchestrating the upset as long as the Orange aren't unconscious from the field. If Syracuse is hitting like they were against us, it'll be a long night for the (other) Bulldogs. But hey, Butler doesn't have to play the Syracuse team from last Sunday, they have to play the Syracuse team of next weekend. Different game, anything can happen, that's why they play 'em.

maynard g krebs
03-22-2010, 09:08 PM
Syracuse just got done losing to the Louisville team that got hammered by Cal, and to the Georgetown team that got hammered by Ohio U. Anything can happen. They certainly aren't invincible, and I'm betting Butler's guards play a lot better than GU's did. Plus it's not a home game for Syracuse this time.

cggonzaga
03-22-2010, 09:33 PM
More talent but it's the playoffs...Butler dropped more than I thought they would in the early season but did very well the rest of the way in. They might lose but unless Cuse shoots like they did against us, it'll be a close one...Butler's very schooled in fundamentals....

Ditto Abe. In my opinion Butler has a much better chance of beating Syracuse than we did. Terrible matchup for us, Butler matches up much better. Of course if the Orange continue shooting the ball the way they did the first weekend all the rest of their games will be blowouts.

rawkmandale
03-22-2010, 09:52 PM
No one can shoot like that every game. Syracuse has the odds in their favor, but Salt Lake City won't be as comfortable as Buffalo was. You never know when someone will twist an ankle, or get dumped by their girlfriend. Life happens. There are no guarantees. Ask Kansas.

zagfan08
03-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Syracuse played their best game of the year against us. I think Butler is a little more mentally strong and hangs with them. Not saying the Bulldogs win, but a blow out would surprise me.

Butler Guy
03-23-2010, 06:51 AM
I mean no disrespect, but Butler's defense (10th most efficient in the country) is so much better than Gonzaga's (65th) its not even comparable. Guys like Rautins and Johnson will actually have to look past a defender's hand while making an attempt.

I expect Syracuse to win, but the game will be a possession of two. (Side note: Butler has lost by double-digits (both by 10) two times in the last four years)

Pomeroy has it SU 70 - BU 66. (http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Butler)

--The difference between Butler and Gonzaga in efficiency margin is the same difference between as there is between Gonzaga and Nevada.

Zagpower
03-23-2010, 07:01 AM
Completely different if we had 4 days to prepare for Syracuse's unique style of play. We didn't. Butler will. That will be the difference and Butler will play them closer.

Coach said the big factor in playing Cuse is the lack of prep time (one day) in our situation. Not surprisingly, Cuse changed some things up on defense as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if Butler will play them close and then Cuse will blow someone out two days later.

SteelCityZag
03-23-2010, 07:04 AM
If I've learned anything this year, I've learned that EVERY team has a chance...especially a team that can fill it up and play D like Butler.

Go Bulldog Brethren. Beat the Cuse.

kclubfounder
03-23-2010, 07:09 AM
If a team is a "mid-major" then I'm pulling for them against a "major".

The end.

HillBillyZag
03-23-2010, 09:13 AM
Amen, Blood is thiicker than water! I'm pulling for St. Mary's, Butler, Northern Iowa & X all the way! Teach the big boys to respect us!

LongIslandZagFan
03-23-2010, 10:47 AM
Cuse shoots like they did the other night... nobody is beating them... I mean nobody. They come back down to earth, like they have at times this season and they become quite beatable.

Ezag
03-23-2010, 11:13 AM
How come every team has to have their best shooting game of year against us in the Tourney? It's like a damn curse and getting old.

Yes, I am spoiled and no its not enough to just get to the tourney every year and win 1 game. I need more! More! More!

It's sad to think that I am dissatisfied because we lost in the 2nd round but I am more getting impatient every season while loosing my perspective on things :D

BobZag
03-23-2010, 11:51 AM
Butler could beat Syracuse if Syracuse doesn't shoot lights out. Butler is a team full of shooters but their style is difficult to defend. Syracuse better come to play. SLC is waaaay different than Buffalo, too.

Angelo Roncalli
03-23-2010, 11:54 AM
It's sad to think that I am dissatisfied because we lost in the 2nd round but I am more getting impatient every season while losing my perspective on things :D

Seems like there's a bit of an epidemic of that.

ellenvega
03-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Butler has a chance, but I feel it's a slim one.

Syracuse has their foot on the gas pedal at this point.

MJ777
03-23-2010, 12:31 PM
I'm calling it here; Butler will beat Syracuse. Of course I am not placing a bet on it. I might be Bold, but I am not Crazy.

Go Bulldogs, Gaels, NIU and X........oh yeah and Go UW too.

sittingon50
03-23-2010, 12:59 PM
if the team that showed up against Lemoyne shows up...............

bigblahla
03-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Butler will value every possession on offense and play good team defense but if the same Orange show up that ran us over well, Butler just don't have the horses.

If the Orange let Butler stay close they have the talent to impose their will long enough to steal the game at the end.

Go!! Zags!!!

cbbfanatic
03-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Butler is way too soft to stick in this one, their gifty draw ends now.

Unless they are just insanely hot from 3 (like 45+pct), this game is boatrace from the get go.

CaZagAlum
03-23-2010, 03:50 PM
What team has ever shot over 60% for 2 straight games? Their 3 pointers killed us just like almost every other team that beats us. We guard the paint religiously and it is successful 90% of the time. But its the 1 games out of 10 that we lose only because our opponent gets hot from 3 land.

Technically, we lose 2 out of 10 if you go by Few's win percentage, and it does seem that we chronically get beat by the three rather than inside.

I don't know which is worse. If you are a team that can shoot the three, then you have a chance to run-and-gun with them and hope you score more in the end. If you are streaky from 3, like we tend to be as of late, then you better hope for a bunch of and-1's and be a great free throw shooting team (which we haven't tended to be this year.)

I can't even say that our D can always be blamed. I just wish I had a dime for every miracle three point shot that opposing teams have scored over the long, outstretched hands of guys like Austin Daye or KO. (Or a nickel for every three that they score on us in the last second or two of the shot clock. Or a dollar for every opposing player who has had their career high against us. ARGH.)

thespywhozaggedme
03-23-2010, 04:17 PM
Amen, Blood is thiicker than water! I'm pulling for St. Mary's, Butler, Northern Iowa & X all the way! Teach the big boys to respect us!

Add Cornell to that list and I'm with you all the way.

Jakester425
03-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Well in all most seven minutes of play the orange are turning the ball over and arent making anything...12-1 Butler.

Just A Zag
03-25-2010, 03:51 PM
quite the opposite....cuse looks like a different team

rawkmandale
03-25-2010, 05:07 PM
I see quite a few wise posts throughout this thread, refusing to accept the myth that certain teams are too good to lose.

ZagLawGrad
03-25-2010, 05:07 PM
ooops...thread seems a bit dated

maynard g krebs
03-25-2010, 05:10 PM
Butler is way too soft to stick in this one, their gifty draw ends now.

Unless they are just insanely hot from 3 (like 45+pct), this game is boatrace from the get go.

LO effin' L. Butler 6-24 from 3, a nice even 25%. Cuse 7-19, 37%. Nice call.

MDABE80
03-25-2010, 05:11 PM
I called it! lol..Butler wins 63-59! Fundamental work trumps big time programs!!! Go Bulldogs!!

ZagLawGrad
03-25-2010, 05:12 PM
And Butler did it with a 17 year old looking coach

HillBillyZag
03-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Well?, Mick Mick, the mighty big east goes down again to a MID-MAJOR. And as you could see, that could have been G.U. playing Butler if we'd only learn how to DEFEND!

RenoZag
03-25-2010, 05:42 PM
And Butler did it with a 17 year old looking coach

Wonder if he's on Oregon's short list ? Yes, I know he just signed a contract extension but I suspect if there's a Phil, there's a way. . .

MickMick
03-25-2010, 05:57 PM
Different looking Syracuse team for sure.

I guess the Zags really were bad in the late season. Cuse looked dominant in the second round. Even good point guard play probably wouldn't have helped the Zags in that game.

I watched Butler play in Anaheim and at the time, I thought Portland (among others in that tournament) was a better team. Butler has really improved since then.

Larrylegend
03-25-2010, 06:00 PM
That's right.

I'm callin it.

A blow out.

Well...Mick Mick...?

Zag79
03-26-2010, 02:41 AM
butlers best players showed up, ours didnt. period. throw in a much better defense than ours, more time to prepare, and 'cuse having to play anywhere but there own backyard, this should be no upset or surprise.

Butler Guy
03-26-2010, 05:55 AM
Ron Nored: starting point guard/team captain/school president/nationally elite onball defender - had a stress fracture in his leg and did not play all summer or the beginning of the season (ie in Anaheim)

Since he has been back without qualification, Butler has lost one game since December 8.

ZagDaddy
03-26-2010, 06:04 AM
Not to take anything away from Butler(pulled for them all the way) but don't underestimate the fact that GU had 1 day to prepare for 'Cuse and Butler had most of a week. That is significant. It also gave the Orange a chance to cool down their red-hot shooting which certainly didn't hurt.

cjm720
03-26-2010, 06:28 AM
Congrats to Butler...I wish CBS covered more than 30 seconds of the game in the second half...darn regional coverage.

DADoZAG
03-26-2010, 06:36 AM
Ron Nored: starting point guard/team captain/school president/nationally elite onball defender - had a stress fracture in his leg and did not play all summer or the beginning of the season (ie in Anaheim)

Since he has been back without qualification, Butler has lost one game since December 8.

Congrats Butler Guy, and I wish your Bulldogs had more time to prepare for Kansas State. It will be a great game, hope Howard can stay out of foul trouble.

Go Bulldogs! (all of them)

GonzagaSwagga
03-26-2010, 07:06 AM
Go Bulldogs!
Go Gaels!

SamwiseTheZag
03-26-2010, 07:11 AM
I watched on my computer.

Butler plays amazing Defense.

Butler had a great Offensive gameplan against that zone. Get up early, and slowwwwww it down.

Congratulations, Hope you beat KSU.

zagboni
03-26-2010, 07:35 AM
Congrats to Butler...I wish CBS covered more than 30 seconds of the game in the second half...darn regional coverage.

Not sure about the east side of the state but they put the game on CBS 2 which is comcast channel 117 on the west side. Not sure if they will do the same for tonights games.

WallaWallaZag
03-26-2010, 07:53 AM
butler played much better defense than we did...we are capable of playing much better defense than we did. syracuse was hot against us, but our defense was partly responsible for them being hot.

i think the gonzaga mindset needs to change...we still try to outscore teams which doesn't work when we face teams more efficient offensively or more talented and just as skilled. this isn't the zags of the past where our guards might have been inferior athletes and defenders but were superior shooters. the backcourts at st.mary's and portland actually remind me more of past zag teams than our current group.

cbbfanatic
03-26-2010, 07:54 AM
surprised by the outcome, especially that butler didnt shoot it well and still won the game.

syracuse played very brain dead in this one, similar to some stretches they had with the crew from the last few years (harris, devendorf, etc), it was about time scoop came down a little. rick jackson was disappointing in that game as well.

congrats to butler, program defining win, kinda (scratch that, completely) wipes from the memory the lack of beating good teams during the season - except of course the turner-less buckeyes.

Das Zagger
03-26-2010, 08:03 AM
There is no way Butler beats the Cuse, I'll bet both my kidneys on it.

skan72
03-26-2010, 11:52 AM

And your liver?

MickMick
03-26-2010, 01:24 PM

Call the Repo Man