PDA

View Full Version : How About Those Lady Zags!!!!!

ID ZAGFAN
03-22-2010, 07:37 PM
72-71

:allhail:

ID ZAGFAN

zagco
03-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Just a relentless game. Wow. They have played two of the best basketball games Zagco's ever seen in this tournament. Wow. Just relentless, on both ends. wow.

ZagManFan
03-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Great game Lady Zags! Frieson was a beast.

HOOTER
03-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Congrats lady's!!!

zagdad
03-22-2010, 07:40 PM
Hey, even if it isn't the men, the Gonzaga ladies are going to the Sweet 16!!! Yeah! They played their hearts out and they gave it their all the whole game long. Congratulations ladyZags! We'll keep rooting you on.:D

pbriz
Vivian showing Texas A&M whats up! A complete and amazing game by her-filling up that stat sheet!

FuManShoes
Awesome!

It's funny, I feel much more at peace this year after the men's loss. Maybe it was the margin and the fact that Syracuse would have beat most teams playing that well, maybe it's that the team overachieved in a lot of ways and maybe it's that we still have a Zags team in the tourney, making history of their own! Go Lady Zags!

abarefootboy
03-22-2010, 07:47 PM
All deep honor to those flowers of kick ass Zagdom.

kitzbuel
03-22-2010, 07:48 PM
Wow! Was there anything that Frieson didn't do? Ran the point; guarded Adams, T A&M's post; primary scoring threat and lead scorer; leading rebounder.

MDABE80
03-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Grueling fast paced game .....hmmmmm......and they kept it up for 40 minutes of intensity....hmmm...:)

ZagManFan
03-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Grueling fast paced game .....hmmmmm......and they kept it up for 40 minutes of intensity....hmmm...:)

Nice to see once in a while.....

Bocco
03-22-2010, 07:58 PM

hmmmmm is it just me or do have much better ball movement than the men, on offense and they always seemed to be moving with out the ball, it's something that seems to be missing with the men

ZagNative
03-22-2010, 07:59 PM
From a story in the Seattle-Times today, "Garfield graduate Vivian Frieson is Gonzaga's rock in the middle" (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/ncaatournamentwomen/2008905549_ncaaseattle230.html)

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2009/03/22/2008904702.jpg

heavyzag
03-22-2010, 08:02 PM
The A & M coach being miced at half saying you cant stop 12 she is better then you was pretty much spot on.....

wow

LynetteG
03-22-2010, 08:14 PM
congrats ladies!!! what a game!!! wowowowo!

Section 116
03-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Also posted on women's page:

ESPN article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=300810245

ESPN front page picture:

http://espn.go.com/womens-basketball/

thickman1
03-22-2010, 08:25 PM
It's really irritating to see digs at the Men's team in a thread that should be dedicated to the awesome season that the ladies continue to have.

Vivian was dyn-O-MITE! 23 pts 9 rebs 6 asts 3 stls 4 blks That is a crazy line.

MedZag
03-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Also posted on women's page:

ESPN article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=300810245

ESPN front page picture:

http://espn.go.com/womens-basketball/

Now also on ESPN front page proper.

Way to go gals!

GrizZAG
03-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Very impressive. I did note the A&M version of Samhan underneath. Similiar build to Omar early on.

What an exciting finish to a red hot game!

SWEET 16 !! :D :) :D

zagirl2k
03-22-2010, 08:30 PM
great game ladies!

Saw a board member or two in the crowd. . .

kdoggy
03-22-2010, 08:36 PM
My daughter and I went last minute. Scored some good seats and had a blast. Really good game, they could have folded their tents at a few points, but didn't. A Scrappy, gritty team beating a team that was probably better...it was a great effort.

It was good time, it was therapeutic. It brought me back from the depths of despair. I'll be watching from here on out. Go Lady Zags!

webspinnre
03-22-2010, 08:51 PM
All you bay area zags, lots of tickets available to watch them coming up this weekend.

Zag 77
03-22-2010, 09:06 PM
It is ironic that with the mens team done for the year, the Lady Zags have a very unique opportunity to be the focus of attention for the GU community by staying alive and going to the Sweet 16. Maybe womens basketball is not everybody's cup of tea, but given the circumstances of how things played out this year, Kelly Graves' team has an opportunity it has not had in past years to wins some new fans and build something for the future in terms of fan interest and loyalty.

Hope they make the best of their chance ! Good kids, good coaches, and they represent us well.

rawkmandale
03-22-2010, 09:40 PM
It's a parallel program to the men - showing the same heart and quality. What an amazing thing. Clearly, the reputation of the men's program has allowed the gals program to recruit. Plus, there are many good women's players in Spokane and the Seattle area, so the talent is mostly home grown. They have a top recruit coming in from Pullman next year, a 6'3" gal who was recruited nationally. Nice to not lose them to programs like Tennessee and Arizona State, which have milked this area in the past.

Screw that. Let's have the strongest college basketball (both mens and womens) in the northwest right here in little old Spokane!

ZagMan in Philly
03-23-2010, 02:57 AM
Big shot after big shot, Frieson was determined not to end her career in her home town. It was great to see the team made it to the sweet 16 for the first time. Go Lady Zags!

Birddog
03-23-2010, 03:51 AM
When I was looking over the brackets for both men and women last week, I noticed a lot of the same names were on both. IIRC there were either 25 or 27 schools in both the men's and women's NCAA Tournaments. Of course the Zags were one of those schools. Noticeably absent were UCONN, and UNC where only the women were in.

NEC26
03-23-2010, 04:49 AM
Women are on the front page of ESPN.

LongIslandZagFan
03-23-2010, 04:55 AM
For those out there that can't stand to watch women's hoops... you missed one hell of a game. Lord knows there are a ton of you out there, since you all made it abundantly clear on another thread.

Props to A&M for battling back in the second half Great battle back and forth at the end of that game.... but Veezy said you couldn't have this game.

Interesting thoughts on this game.... 20th win in a row for the Lady Zags. Last loss was to... you guessed it A&M. In the first game the Lady Zags got dominated and were down HUGE. They battled back to lose only by 4. For the girls that was the turning point in the season. From there they became a machine mowing down all in their path.

On to the Final 4 gals!!! Keep up the good work.

bigblahla
03-23-2010, 05:20 AM
If in Spokane one of the best entertainment values is a Lady Zag season ticket.

Next year they''ll average over 4000 a game, watch.

Go!! Lady Zags!!!

PHXzag
03-23-2010, 06:03 AM
First time I've been able to see them play this year and I was blown away. They play such a pretty and enjoyable game to watch, I can't wait for the next one.

Go Zags

Bocco
03-23-2010, 06:05 AM
For those out there that can't stand to watch women's hoops... you missed one hell of a game.

anyone who took the time to watch the last two games by the Lady Zags saw two very entertaining and highly competitive games, and I suspect for some may have changed their opinion of women's hoops

LongIslandZagFan
03-23-2010, 06:08 AM
anyone who took the time to watch the last two games by the Lady Zags saw two very entertaining and highly competitive games, and I suspect for some may have changed their opinion of women's hoops

They were probably too busy to watch the games. I agree... both games were great... but I haven't seen a game as tight and intense as last nights on either the men's or women's side in a long time.

HRZag
03-23-2010, 06:09 AM
Rawk, I believe the girl from Pullman is 6' 5". BIG - time!

Congrats Zag Women.

Cavebear33
03-23-2010, 06:22 AM
As one who watched the Zag women all season, I'm delighted with their NCAA success and the chance to show a wider audience what they can do. Great game last night. Vivian Frieson was awesome, as the A & M coach pointed out to his team at halftime. The gals play a great, fun game to watch and I encourage fans to come out and see them in person next season. Two time WCC player of the year, Courtney Vandersloot, will be back leading the team. Shelby Cheslek, the young lady from Pullman who recently gave an oral commitment to Gonzaga is at least 6-4. I saw her play in an AAU tournament this weekend. Believe me, the future is bright for the Lady Zags.

U Zig, I Zag
03-23-2010, 06:54 AM
I gave props to CV before the game started and maybe jinxed her! Her numbers were not good, not good at all - BUT, the team showed heart. I was eating dinner at a place and started clapping and pounding the table during bright spots and by the end of the game the whole restaurant was cheering. Fun stuff.

Good job gals!!

GonzagaSwagga
03-23-2010, 07:10 AM
I don't watch women's bball, but that was a great ending to a great game. Quite impressive.

ZagNative
03-23-2010, 07:53 AM
The Gonzaga Bulletin has a story up (http://www.gonzagabulletin.com/zag-women-in-sweet-16-for-first-time-1.1275674) with some great photos, including this one of Heather Bowman boxing out Damitria Buchanan:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_UkLNCxT74w4/S6jiHx1gTjI/AAAAAAAAanQ/gLeU5l2-Tm4/2010-03-22%20Heather%20Bowman%20Texas%20A-M%20NCAA%202nd%20round-1.jpg

a13coach
03-23-2010, 07:58 AM
Rawk, I believe the girl from Pullman is 6' 5". BIG - time!

Congrats Zag Women.

As one who watched the Zag women all season, I'm delighted with their NCAA success and the chance to show a wider audience what they can do. Great game last night. Vivian Frieson was awesome, as the A & M coach pointed out to his team at halftime. The gals play a great, fun game to watch and I encourage fans to come out and see them in person next season. Two time WCC player of the year, Courtney Vandersloot, will be back leading the team. Shelby Cheslek, the young lady from Pullman who recently gave an oral commitment to Gonzaga is at least 6-4. I saw her play in an AAU tournament this weekend. Believe me, the future is bright for the Lady Zags.

Shelby is a 2011 recruit. See here:http://guboards.com/showthread.php?t=27616
But if you thought GU got out and ran this year wait until next with Katelan Redmon in the starting line up and add in these 2 who will immediately compete for significant time at the 2 spot vacated by Tiffany.
http://guboards.com/showthread.php?t=22620
http://guboards.com/showthread.php?t=22630

Plus Bekkering and Bowen don't mind getting out and running up the court.

zagco
03-23-2010, 08:31 AM
The big girl on A&M was huge. Plus, they said she lost 40 pounds last summer. Um, can anyone explain how someone who is an ATHLETE, particularly a basketball player, can be that big? Don't really get it.

Rbo
03-23-2010, 09:21 AM
Congratulations, Lady Zags on two thrilling, fast-paced wins!

P.S. I watched recruit Jazmin Redmon at the 4A championship game. She's a talented gamer just like Frieson!

LongIslandZagFan
03-23-2010, 10:16 AM
The big girl on A&M was huge. Plus, they said she lost 40 pounds last summer. Um, can anyone explain how someone who is an ATHLETE, particularly a basketball player, can be that big? Don't really get it.

One name comes to mind...
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/stma/sports/m-baskbl/auto_action/855261.jpeg

All kidding aside... you can say what you want about her weight... she can play hoops, especially down low. She was unstoppable at times last night.

ellenvega
03-23-2010, 12:11 PM
I'll admit I don't watch much women's b-ball, other than perhaps the U of Minnesota's women and teams like UConn or Tennessee, but I was watching these first 2 games and was very impressed.

Good luck to them!

kitzbuel
03-23-2010, 12:12 PM
The Gonzaga Bulletin has a story up (http://www.gonzagabulletin.com/zag-women-in-sweet-16-for-first-time-1.1275674) with some great photos, including this one of Heather Bowman boxing out Damitria Buchanan:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_UkLNCxT74w4/S6jiHx1gTjI/AAAAAAAAanQ/gLeU5l2-Tm4/2010-03-22%20Heather%20Bowman%20Texas%20A-M%20NCAA%202nd%20round-1.jpg

Colson locked CV down. It was completely frustrating seeing her lose the ball so often.

Zag Man
03-23-2010, 12:28 PM
I had the privilege of watching the Lady Zags play on both Saturday night against North Carolina and last evening against Texas A&M. I havenít seen North Carolina much this year, but their past history speaks for itself. However, since I live in Big 12 country, Iím very familiar with the Aggies and they are a very tough team, especially after playing in the same league with Oklahoma and Nebraska.

I was extremely proud of how the Lady Zags performed on both nights. They scraped for every rebound and loose ball and played tenacious defense against two high-quality teams. It was an impressive display of basketball and Iím extremely proud of how well they represented our university and alumni on the biggest stage in college basketballÖ.the NCAA Tournament! CongratulationsÖ..Iíll definitely be cheering the Lady Zags on this Saturday night! Letís get to the Elite 8Ö.something we havenít done in our combined basketball program for a long time!

maynard g krebs
03-23-2010, 02:43 PM

The Rainier Beach state champs led by Jamal Crawford a decade ago had a 6-5 center (can't remember his name for sure- think it's Dave King) who had to weigh at least 350. He couldn't get 6 inches off the floor, but was very effective using his bulk to get off inside shots. Averaged around 15 and 10 and made 2nd team all state.

He's now an asst coach at Beach and looks even bigger.

CaZagAlum
03-23-2010, 04:01 PM
That was a great game last night. CV was getting mugged and I couldn't believe all the reach ins by A&M that didn't get called. If Meech did anything remotely similar, he would be on the bench 5 minutes into a game with a bunch of fouls.

The passing by the women was spectacular. I forgot how much of a difference having a true point guard makes. Pretty to watch. If our guys can gel this much by the time they're upperclassmen, watch out.

Congrats, Ladies~

caduceus
03-23-2010, 06:29 PM
Xavier beat Vandy, so it's GU vs. X on Saturday in Sacramento. I like our chances playing out west. Looks like a 9 am start, though (not our luckiest start time this year!).

http://imgur.com/uc8d8.png

rawkmandale
03-23-2010, 08:54 PM
The ESPN bracket has Stanford playing at "9:04" though doesn't say AM or PM. These are east coast times, so have to assume PM - otherwise that game would be a 6 AM tip in Sacramento. The Gonzaga game is shown as 11:32 tip, so I assume after Stanford, and likely 8:32 PM out west.

caduceus
03-23-2010, 09:18 PM
The ESPN bracket has Stanford playing at "9:04" though doesn't say AM or PM. These are east coast times, so have to assume PM - otherwise that game would be a 6 AM tip in Sacramento. The Gonzaga game is shown as 11:32 tip, so I assume after Stanford, and likely 8:32 PM out west.

ESPN had it scheduled at 12:00 noon earlier. It's changed now to 8:32 PM PDT (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncw/clubhouse?teamId=2250).

rawkmandale
03-23-2010, 09:32 PM
That's awesome for us out west, and shouldn't conflict with any of the men's games going on Saturday. Hopefully, there will be a good viewing audience (at least in the pacific and mountain time zones), as our gals deserve that, and the game should be close, given last year's close Gonzaga win over Xavier. We're a better team now, and I have to assume they are too, as a 3 seed.

gamagin
03-24-2010, 08:41 AM
they have earned some time in the spotlight without the men's team overshadowing them.

Since it worked out that way, I hope they get a ton of exposure, too.

I call Courtney Vandersloot John Stockton in pigtails. She has amazing court sense, vision and passing abilities, despite being only a junior. She has earned nationwide honors and anyone who watches her in action can see why immediately. She's tough and she's the best.

Senior Vivian Friesen has stepped up as team leader exactly when she was most needed, vs. A & M. Shives has brought three point threats to the GU repertoire right on time and Bowman, the all-time GU lady's scorer, ever, is right there, too, in case too many foes try to chase down Shives on the perimeter. The Zags have a threat at every position and the threats are hitting their shots.

It's a great thing to watch. It's exactly what any basketball team needs to do to keep going this time of year. And so far, they are really on a roll.

Here's hoping this team goes deeper than any other GU team, men or women, has ever gone.

That would involve getting just two more victories, if my math is correct.

Goshzagit
03-24-2010, 09:22 AM
The passing by the women was spectacular. I forgot how much of a difference having a true point guard makes. Pretty to watch. If our guys can gel this much by the time they're upperclassmen, watch out. Congrats, Ladies~

The best game I've seen played this year -- by men or women. I couldn't agree more about watching a team be run by such a talented PG. While it wasn't her best night, she still had 9 assists, unbelievable passes and always creating for teammates, whether its the dribble drive kick out, hitting back door cuts, or finding the right player at the right team. My girlfriend wholeheartedly believes the men's team could use Courtney Vandersloot--I'd have to agree this time.

Vanzagger
03-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Lady Zags!

Angelo Roncalli
03-24-2010, 11:34 AM
My girlfriend wholeheartedly believes the men's team could use Courtney Vandersloot--I'd have to agree this time.

It's my understanding that correct term is "fiance" these days? :)