PDA

View Full Version : Why is everyone afraid to lose Coach Few?

SFZAG95
03-22-2010, 03:47 PM
The two coaches before him got us into the tournament and his top assistant got USD in...don't we have faith that the school will get an acceptable replacement for our team?

vandalzag
03-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Good Lord this may be the post of the day winner. I agree with you it is a very simple thing this coaching basketball. I think anybody could do it. I mean this message board is full of highly successful coaches, just pick a member and give him or her the job. I for one boast a perfect coaching record when watching games or talking about them the day after.

hls97
03-22-2010, 04:02 PM
The two coaches before him got us into the tournament and his top assistant got USD in...don't we have faith that the school will get an acceptable replacement for our team?

Are you serious? While Coach Few isn't perfect and fans can quibble with strategy or playing time or whatever, the fact is that he has done something which almost no one else in college basketball history has been able to do: take a mid-major and make them a consistent, year-in-and-year-out national force. This is not a case of one or two years in the tournament -- like, for example, George Mason. This is a transformation of a mid-major into a major power.

Few competes with the big boys for recruits. He routinely wins games against them during the season. He goes to the NCAA tourney every year. Every. Single. Year.

The grass may seem greener, but, trust me, it isn't. We should all hope that Coach Few stays.

GUDan07
03-22-2010, 04:06 PM

Wrong question to ask on this board my friend.

bartruff1
03-22-2010, 04:07 PM
:lmao:
Good Lord this may be the post of the day winner. I agree with you it is a very simple thing this coaching basketball. I think anybody could do it. I mean this message board is full of highly successful coaches, just pick a member and give him or her the job. I for one boast a perfect coaching record when watching games or talking about them the day after.:lmao:

HOOTER
03-22-2010, 04:10 PM
You just didn't think this through very well did you. :confused:

Salsageek
03-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Can I take the job for a year? I will give it back and let someone have a shot. :D

Bocco
03-22-2010, 04:18 PM

The two coaches before him got us into the tournament and in each case Mark Few was an integral part of being part of those teams reaching the tournament. Monson left and so far he has not had the success that Few has had. Greer left for USD and he was able to make the tournament his first year there, primarily with players recruited by Holland.

Mark Few has achieved success at GU that is unparalleled at any other "mid-major" school. Whether or not he can get GU into a final four or wonder of wonders a national championship is yet to be determined, but for my money if he cannot do it at Gonzaga I doubt if anyone can.

Virginia Zags Fan
03-22-2010, 04:19 PM
I'll still root for GU if Coach Few leaves, but in 4 or 5 years we would be lucky to win the WCC let alone make the tourny. Just ask Monson how easy it is to win. Oh yeah, didn't he lead GU to the tourney?

gamagin
03-22-2010, 04:22 PM

I heard him on radio today. he said he was in the MAC if anyone else is looking. Thanks for starting a new thread. It is riveting.

SFZAG95
03-22-2010, 04:27 PM
so basically everyone is saying if few leaves we are going to take a major step backward...that the school could not find an adequate replacement....that was what I was referring to when I posted....so it is fear of failure.

MickMick
03-22-2010, 04:36 PM
Few has been loyal with many opportunities to leave.

Many, many other valid reasons can be given on why I want him to stay.

But I'll just stop with this one, because this reason helps define his impeccable character.

This is not a "resume building" position for Mark Few.

It probably would be for another of his caliber.

Because of this loyalty, I will always remain loyal to him.

Bocco
03-22-2010, 04:46 PM
so basically everyone is saying if few leaves we are going to take a major step backward...that the school could not find an adequate replacement....that was what I was referring to when I posted....so it is fear of failure.

Why would anyone want Few to leave?

ID ZAGFAN
03-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Why would anyone want Few to leave?

+1,00000000000000 to infinity!

ID ZAGFAN

Booster
03-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Yes and No.

Yes, the program and the school would take major steps backwards. It's as simple as looking at all the facts and records, not to mention the increases in admissions and endowments.

No, the school could not find an adequate replacement. Few (and a very short list of others) has set the benchmark for any national program that prides itself on character, loyalty, consistency, and the growth and development of young men. There are certainly others who can lead the program, but not at this same level.

SFZAG95
03-22-2010, 05:02 PM
I'm just thinking the program may have hit its peak and if there is truth to the rumors about oregon and the offer of 25 million for 10 years he may decide to try something different.

ehk 21
03-22-2010, 05:13 PM
I am an alum of the U. of Portland, but was raised in Spokane and applaud the Zags and their success. Every other program in the WCC would love it if Coach Few would leave. Please chase him off to the Oregon position.

Seriously...the Zags, have, I believe, the fourth longest NCAA tournament streak (ask UCLA, Arizona, North Carolina, and U.Conn how their streaks are going). You've got a new arena. Your university's visibility has increased a thousand fold under Coach Few's leadership. While he's not perfect, he's put together more than a collection of great teams--he's built a stable, highly successful program. I know some of you expect Final Four appearances, but what you do have is the best non-BCS program in existence. Enjoy what you have.

And, if the template for success were so easy to replicate, why hasn't Coach Monson been able to remotely do anything resembling Gonzaga's run? And last I checked Coach Grier and USD weren't exactly Final Four contenders. At Portland, we have a pretty good coach in Eric Reveno, who is working his tail off and has done wonders--yet we can't even get to the NIT. Yes, it is only human to want more, but you grumblers should also enjoy the success that Coach Few has built. There are only about 318 Division I programs that are mean green with envy.

CB4
03-22-2010, 05:56 PM
The first rule of this message board is to never question Mark Few's tenure at Gonzaga. If the reputation meter was still working you would have at least ten neg reps for starting this.

Booster
03-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Hard to believe the program has hit its peak given what we all see coming at least over the next few years. And it's not $25m .... it's $30m over 10.

HOOTER
03-22-2010, 06:44 PM
The first rule of this message board is to never question Mark Few's tenure at Gonzaga.

Absolutely false. If you've got a legitimate criticism, go for it. To suggest that there's a bunch of, or any, potential replacements out there looking for jobs that could do as good or better than Few is just plain laughable. Imply something like that an you'll get nailed for it, and rightly so.

MDABE80
03-22-2010, 06:46 PM
I zoooomed to the bottom on this thread. Why would GU not mind losing the coach with the best winnng percentage in D1 NCAA basketball for past 10 years? Is that the question? Geeeeeee...I can't figure it out!;)

MickMick
03-22-2010, 06:48 PM
The first rule of this message board is to never question Mark Few's tenure at Gonzaga. If the reputation meter was still working you would have at least ten neg reps for starting this.

You violated the rule.

bartruff1
03-22-2010, 07:01 PM
All you critics should read Withers fresh (3 hour) article on this subject and hope to hell he doesn't leave for that reason...

23dpg
03-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Then there's this: "I don't think he feels quite as appreciated as he did three or four years ago," said somebody familiar with Few. "People start #####ing. They've gotten pretty unrealistic."

There are Zags zealots who have forgotten where they were a dozen years ago. They had never won an NCAA tournament game in 1998, and now they've won 15. But the monster has a big appetite in college sports, and the buzz is, there was a good deal of grumbling when Gonzaga got whacked by Saint Mary's in the WCC final.

It's fair to assume those folks were more perturbed with the NCAA loss to Syracuse than they were pleased with the opening-round victory over Florida State.

Few doesn't have a lot of patience for that. Sunday, shortly after the Syracuse game, I postulated to him that the "trick" was for people to look at the big picture and see the 27 victories in a rebuilding season rather than dwell on the hell the Orange wrought.

"That shouldn't be a trick," Few responded sharply. "That should be what everybody does. I don't know why you'd identify a seasonlong journey with one game."

ZagLawGrad
03-22-2010, 07:43 PM
Sorry, Coach Few is off limits.

Any questions? Just check his record.

Section 116
03-22-2010, 08:09 PM
Withers article link:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/budwithers/2011413247_withers23.html

GrizZAG
03-22-2010, 08:17 PM
I am an alum of the U. of Portland, but was raised in Spokane and applaud the Zags and their success. Every other program in the WCC would love it if Coach Few would leave. Please chase him off to the Oregon position.

Seriously...the Zags, have, I believe, the fourth longest NCAA tournament streak (ask UCLA, Arizona, North Carolina, and U.Conn how their streaks are going). You've got a new arena. Your university's visibility has increased a thousand fold under Coach Few's leadership. While he's not perfect, he's put together more than a collection of great teams--he's built a stable, highly successful program. I know some of you expect Final Four appearances, but what you do have is the best non-BCS program in existence. Enjoy what you have.

And, if the template for success were so easy to replicate, why hasn't Coach Monson been able to remotely do anything resembling Gonzaga's run? And last I checked Coach Grier and USD weren't exactly Final Four contenders. At Portland, we have a pretty good coach in Eric Reveno, who is working his tail off and has done wonders--yet we can't even get to the NIT. Yes, it is only human to want more, but you grumblers should also enjoy the success that Coach Few has built. There are only about 318 Division I programs that are mean green with envy.
This is the post to pay attention to in this thread. Well said UP man. You nailed it. Thx

Bocco
03-22-2010, 08:30 PM
from Bud Withers PI article
Then there's this: "I don't think he feels quite as appreciated as he did three or four years ago," said somebody familiar with Few. "People start #####ing. They've gotten pretty unrealistic."
There are Zags zealots who have forgotten where they were a dozen years ago. They had never won an NCAA tournament game in 1998, and now they've won 15. But the monster has a big appetite in college sports, and the buzz is, there was a good deal of grumbling when Gonzaga got whacked by Saint Mary's in the WCC final.

WOW, that would be something to have him leave because of the unrealistic expectations and grumblings of nouveau "diehard" fans, many who post on this board who before the elite eight run didn't know where Gonzaga was located, nor how to pronounce Gonzaga. Hopefully coach Few takes my attitude towards these idiots and ignores them

webspinnre
03-22-2010, 08:50 PM
The good news is that Few is really good at ignoring the idiots that populate these boards after a loss. He's got his head screwed on straight, and not about to listen to the vocal minority of fans who can't recognize all that he's accomplished.

FuManShoes
03-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Somehow I don't think it's the people on the boards Few is referring to. Are boosters starting to grumble? Maybe they should look around the arena they helped fund but he made necessary and realize it would likely be a lot emptier without Mark Few, his talent, his system, his reputation, his tactical skills, his humility, his loyalty, his assistants, his national media connections, his appeal to recruits looking to make a name for themselves, be part of a tradition and make it to the pros. Maybe they should take a look around the country at the hundreds of similarly sized schools in similarly sized cities that would kill for an NCAA appearance, let alone 15 wins in the Dance. Yeah the grass seems greener and emotions are raw and maybe, just maybe, another coach could step in and surpass what Few has done. The odds aren't great, so why take that chance by driving away a proven winner and a decent man that is the envy of nearly all his peers?

FrahmfortheWin
03-22-2010, 09:31 PM

+1

IdahoZagFan
03-22-2010, 09:46 PM
We don't want Coach Few to leave. We absolutely agree that the view is about the big picture and the whole journey - at the college level, it is where do you start and what do you accomplish over the seasons. Coach Few is a great coach and we are lucky to have him. The proof is in his many succesful years, including this year.

A tourney is just that - a bunch of teams play in a looser out format. But it is only one component of the whole season. One of the reasons that we don't like to put too much emphasis on the tourneys (either the WCC or the NCAA) is that it is putting all the "eggs in one basket" and doesn't reflect what a team is really capable of doing. It could be a great day or, for many reasons, not so much. While we realize that tourneys may always be with us and are something to strive to win, they should not be defining. Matchups can certainly skew the results. (But then, I didn't like the classes where a grade was based on one final test, either.)

Now, with regard to the WCC tourney, it seems that we recall that there were those who thought it would be great to get two teams into the NCAA tourney. It appeared that the only way to do that would be for SMC to win the conference tourney championship. But, once that happened, some became critical.

With regard to the NCAA, it seems that right now eveyone is all caught up in the moment and the moment is March Madness. We were very pleased that the Zags played well against Florida State - that was a great accomplishment against a very defensive minded team and broke some streaks. A very good team playing very well - Syracuse - ended the season. Some teams didn't make the tournament (Arizona, UConn, North Carolina, etc.) and some very good teams departed after the first game. Two bubble teams that might not have made the tournament at all if they hadn't won their conference tourney (St. Mary's and Washington) advanced. Some teams have taken a lot of credit (for a less than stellar season, but a few great games) and fans of other teams have gnashed their teeth. There is some luck to that.

But, in a week or so, we'll all be on to something else. In the end, it will be the big picture that we remember - ten consecutive conference championships, eleven consecutive NCAA tournaments - and it was all done by a great Coach (with a great coaching staff assembled by the Coach) who, along with a Senior leader and other returners, took a bunch of newcomers to the heights of Division I basketball and gave the Zag fans a wonderfully entertaining year.

So, here's to Coach Few and the Gonzaga Bulldogs!

cggonzaga
03-22-2010, 09:48 PM
Not everyone is afraid to lose Few for all you diehards on the board. Do I want him to leave? No. If he leaves will the program go to hell? I don't believe so. The biggest reason I say this is because there is one Mr. Rice waiting his turn in the background. GU is what it is because of its system and that won't change were Few to leave and Rice took over. My hope would be that Rice could convince Tommy to stay as his top assistant (assuming Ray G left with Few) and continue the fantastic recruiting he has been able to accomplish. I also believe if Few were to leave this would be as good a time as any considering as we have 7 fantastic freshmen and 3 really good sophomores. There would be no downfall in the program should Few leave and that has nothing to do with how good a coach he is, simply a timing thing. I believe Mr. Few will succeed wherever he decides to coach. Should it be at Gonzaga, great! Should it be elsewhere, I'm not concerned about the program taking a dive one single drop.

CB4
03-23-2010, 12:00 AM
Correct Mick I have violated the golden rule in the past. I said it was the first rule of the board, I didn't suggest that it needed to be kept.

tobizag
03-23-2010, 06:21 AM
Correct Mick I have violated the golden rule in the past. I said it was the first rule of the board, I didn't suggest that it needed to be kept.

cb4...if you want to ask questions about why few did something specific during a game, recruited certain players vs others, etc., i don't think anyone should have problems with that.

however, i think we have become so entirely spoiled that we don't appreciate how good we have it and risk creating extremely unrealistic expectations. now, i don't think it's unrealistic to hope for a final four or national title. but for those people who are throwing few under the bus, they are failing to recognize that it is precisely because of few that those expectations can now be set. i spoke with a good friend yesterday, a UW alum, and he was shocked that anyone would be seriously thinking about wanting a different coach at gonzaga. his reasoning: few now has built a PROGRAM that gives him the luxury to tell any recruit "if you come to gonzaga, you WILL be in the tournament, which means if you can win just 6 games in a row for us in march, we'll win a national title." think about how few programs can realistically tell their recruits that. michigan state. kansas. duke. carolina. kentucky. syracuse. g'town. uconn. did i miss any? i may have...but look at those programs. to me, there are two kinds of elite teams. recently, kentucky has jumped onto the same side as unc. these two schools are recruiting right now with an almost "all or nothing" mentality. did unc miss the tourney this year? sure, but they could easily be a #1 seed next year. roy williams has set that program up to rely entirely on 1-and-done type guys. kentucky may or may not be doing the same thing...that's yet to be seen.

but the other programs? michigan state has had two coaches in like 50 years. jud heathcote (who won 1 title with magic johnson) and tom izzo (1 title with cleaves and crew). duke has had 1 coach for 35 years. so has syracuse. same with uconn. kansas has been playing basketball for 100 years. their first coach invented the game. from there, phog allen coached forever, ted owens, larry brown, roy williams, bill self. self ain't goin nowhere. my point is that unless you really want to be unc or kentucky (which we cannot be...lack of $$$, lack of history, location, conference, etc) then it seems most realistic to mimic the strategy at duke, michigan state, uconn, syracuse, etc. few gives us the best shot at landing big recruits and hidden gems. he puts together solid teams year in and year out. we are guaranteed 25 wins every year. these things put us in position to ALWAYS be in the tournament. we CANNOT take this for granted. it is this consistency and stability that will eventually mean we again catch lightning in a bottle and get to a final four/win a title. boeheim had to wait 11 years to get to a final four, and his program had already been there and was playing in a major conference. coach k went to 3 final fours in his first 8 years, but he's arguably the greatest coach in history and again, his program had already been to a final four.

i'm going on and on here, so i'll wrap up. my point is that the best programs in college basketball have stuck with their coach for as long as possible. to me, duke and michigan state should be the models. but we need to realistically consider these programs and adjust our expectations accordingly. michigan state has won 2 titles in 30 years, and been to what, 6 final fours? duke has 3 titles in 30 years, and has been to 10 final fours. these numbers sound like a lot, but remember that these teams have been powers for DECADES. more than half a century. we've been a power for approximately a decade. give it time. we will get there. few is the man for the job. there's nobody better for the job. he loves spokane. he is comfortable here. he surrounds himself with the right people. he keeps our program out of trouble, which is VASTLY underrated. we should feel free to hope for the best and expect great things, but we need to keep our heads on straight. we are incredibly lucky, incredibly spoiled, and we need to enjoy it while it lasts and do whatever we can to continue the success. imo, this starts with supporting our coach.

bartruff1
03-23-2010, 06:57 AM
Anyone who is critical of Few is a moron in the traditional sense of having a IQ of under 70 and therefor unable to reach a valid or accurate conclusion...:D You don't ban them or attempt to reason with them you simply feel sorry for their unfortunate circumstances and hope that they are able to cope with life..

U Zig, I Zag
03-23-2010, 07:07 AM
Few better get used to higher and higher expectations. Success breeds that sort of thing from the fans, alumni and University Admins. It's the nature of the beast.

Few is never booed, he has his own TV/Radio programs, new place to play, gets to go fishing, etc... all and all a great deal.

I was talking to someone from his 'area' and this guy mentioned that Few and his family rarely, if ever, attend some neighborhood things. He seemed kind of peeved about it - I told him that Few wouldn't want to spend the entire time talking about basketball, I imagine.

machoman
03-23-2010, 07:24 AM
Anyone who is critical of Few is a moron in the traditional sense of having a IQ of under 70 and therefor unable to reach a valid or accurate conclusion...:D You don't ban them or attempt to reason with them you simply feel sorry for their unfortunate circumstances and hope that they are able to cope with life..

Anyone who is critical of Few is a moron? Ever heard of "critical thinking"? It's part of the Jesuit education- generally people who aren't capable of engaging in it tend to be less intelligent

carlosthebull
03-23-2010, 07:30 AM

First off, hats off to SFZAG95 for posting a LEGITMATE question about the possibility of having to replace Few. Since it is a potential situation, why not post about it? I am at a loss as to why anyone would be so opposed to kicking the tires on such a possibility.

Second off, you will not find anywhere, a bigger fan of letting Few walk, leave, kick-em to the curb, what-have-you, than myself. I am no fan of his and I think he is and has been over-rated and still riding the 99 run and lore led my Monson.

Now that my obvious prejudice is out there…

Let's really discuss the reasons/potentials for

A) Few to stay at GU and pass on other opportunities

B) Few to leave GU and another highly regarded coach come in

Leave your emotions at home with your mamma and binky, and really debate the two. I would really like to hear WHY he should stay or WHY he would leave.

Personally, I think he has peaked as a coach. Reason? Because his player development, year after year, remains the same. Mental mistakes…year after year…and the same ones at that…turnovers, bad fouls, inconsistent effort. He can't get his players to take the next step, go the extra mile, grow beyond the hype of what GU teams the past decade have been, good teams, into a CHAMPIONSHIP team, not some piss-ant WCC conference tourney winner, the whole shebangabang. I mean, grow some cahones man and stop being satisfied to get to the NCAA tourney and win one maybe two games and WANT IT ALL.

Don't even mention the words "character development"…Heytvelt…charged with felony possession of a controlled substance…hardly a saint.

BobZag
03-23-2010, 07:47 AM
Bartruff was joking. :D <-- kidding.

Humor, guys, it's humor.

Carry on.

Psychozag
03-23-2010, 07:50 AM
I love all these folks with 1 to 20 posts who come on to say Few needs to be fired. They have no perspective, and I doubt they are long-term fans of GU basketball. I hoped that a 20 point loss to UNC would knock them off the bandwagon last year, but it didn't seem to. Here's to hoping that this loss to Syracuse will do it.

LongIslandZagFan
03-23-2010, 07:56 AM

I love Billy, but USD got in off the prior coach's recruits. Haven't been there since.

The coach prior to Few hasn't ever been back to the tourney.

So my question to Carlos is this? What is legitimate about this question? The ONLY consistency through all of this IS Mark Few... losing him would mean this board would get a ton quieter as the program would probably slip at that point... I guess the good thing would be the unrealistic fair weather fans will move on and this board would improve.

sullyzag66
03-23-2010, 07:57 AM
. . .Second off, you will not find anywhere, a bigger fan of letting Few walk, leave, kick-em to the curb, what-have-you, than myself. I am no fan of his and I think he is and has been over-rated and still riding the 99 run and lore led my Monson.
Riding the lore. Gotta love that. :rolleyes:

machoman
03-23-2010, 07:58 AM
That's fine...keep him forever and enjoy watching lethargic, unprepared teams get their asses handed to them in the big games, as witnessed against Syracuse. Better become a UW fan while you're at it....because that's the only team in the state you'll be watching make deep runs in the tournament.

LongIslandZagFan
03-23-2010, 07:59 AM
Riding the lore. Gotta love that. :rolleyes:

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Yeah, people ride coattails for 10 years.

LongIslandZagFan
03-23-2010, 08:00 AM
That's fine...keep him forever and enjoy watching lethargic, unprepared teams get their asses handed to them in the big games, as witnessed against Syracuse. Better become a UW fan while you're at it....because that's the only team in the state you'll be watching make deep runs in the tournament.

OH... the troll shows his colors. LMAO.

cbbfanatic
03-23-2010, 08:11 AM
obviously gonzaga would never want mark few to leave.

BUT, i think you guys are overblowing the backward step the program would take. the roster would still be young and talented enough to keep the program rolling until the new guys gets established. it would still be a lock ncaa team by mid feb at the latest... for the foreseeable future

again, im sure nobody really wants him to go, but it wouldnt be the end of the world if he did. look at xavier, they have lost several excellent coaches, but the school is committed to the program, and they keep rolling along.

bartruff1
03-23-2010, 08:31 AM
Anyone who is critical of Few is a moron? Ever heard of "critical thinking"? It's part of the Jesuit education- generally people who aren't capable of engaging in it tend to be less intelligent That is exactly my point....morons are not capable of critical thinking...:lmao:

titopoet
03-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Personally, I think he has peaked as a coach. Reason? Because his player development, year after year, remains the same. Mental mistakes…year after year…and the same ones at that…turnovers, bad fouls, inconsistent effort. He can't get his players to take the next step, go the extra mile, grow beyond the hype of what GU teams the past decade have been, good teams, into a CHAMPIONSHIP team, not some piss-ant WCC conference tourney winner, the whole shebangabang. I mean, grow some cahones man and stop being satisfied to get to the NCAA tourney and win one maybe two games and WANT IT ALL.

We live in a culture that that lives with a scare tissue of cliches. It takes more to win that sounding off, ..." take the next step, go the extra mile, grow beyond the hype..." The reality is the Few has done more with his resources than most coaches.

There are 340 schools plus wanting to win the Championship, but realistically there is only 80 - 90 that have the resources to challenge for it. Of them, there is realistically 20-30 programs that can make a run consistently. GU is barely on the edge of those programs, and compared to the others, barely so. And this a produce of resources.

I think many forget how hard it is to win the championship, but lets put reality in the mix. MSU with its 3 times larger budget then GU has ONE. DUKE with its 3 time larger budget has three under Coach K and only one since Few's time at GU. UCLA with its 4 time as large budget has none under Howland. Florida won two and then failed to make the tournament for two years. All of those programs have more 3 times the MacDonald All Americans on there current teams than GU has had all time. Further, all of these programs have far more resources than GU. Heck, Georgia has a bigger budget than GU. Anyone who thinks that winning it all is more about cajones should maybe share the kool aide, because it is not.

When you factor this reality, Few not only has done an amazing job to keep GU relevant. He has done so by find players under the radar, and being one of the best offensive minds of his generation... to think any other way, is delusional.

Take a look at the numbers, http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/st_CoachesNCAAA_20090312.htmlhttp://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/st_CoachesNCAAA_20090312.html FEW worth every penny and then some.

bartruff1
03-23-2010, 08:52 AM
I love all these folks with 1 to 20 posts who come on to say Few needs to be fired. They have no perspective, and I doubt they are long-term fans of GU basketball. I hoped that a 20 point loss to UNC would knock them off the bandwagon last year, but it didn't seem to. Here's to hoping that this loss to Syracuse will do it. Fools abound..they will always be with us...

FuManShoes
03-23-2010, 08:55 AM
PS -- I'm not "afraid" to lose Coach Few, but I would rather not. He's a known quantity, his success is undeniable and who knows what would happen were he to leave. Sure I can see Gonzaga sustaining its success because of the system, resources, reputation and coaching succession plan in place. But I can also see a chips falling a different way and his former assistants leaving, GU losing some cache, fans losing enthusiasm, etc. There are no guarantees in sports but Mark Few's ability to produce winning teams year after year is about as close to a guarantee as it gets.

My question for those who think Few has peaked: How do you judge the success of a program? In national championships? In NBA draft picks? Or in winning percentages, conference titles and tourney appearances? By those latter measures Few is as successful as ever.

cjm720
03-23-2010, 09:04 AM

I think it's a great question but posed the wrong way.
How about this:

If Mark Few were to leave under his own choosing, could Gonzaga maintain it's current level of success?

I think it's a fascinating, and somewhat realistic, question for the fanbase.

My answer: probably not, unless the rest of the staff was full intact but you know that would never happen.

Go Zags!!!

LongIslandZagFan
03-23-2010, 09:05 AM
I think Carlos and his trolling buddy macho have "peaked" at their ability to posts and should move on and go back to dawgman where they belong.

Thanks for playing guys... been fun... move along.

Colbyspapa
03-23-2010, 09:17 AM

Now that my obvious prejudice is out there…

Let's really discuss the reasons/potentials for

A) Few to stay at GU and pass on other opportunities

B) Few to leave GU and another highly regarded coach come in

Leave your emotions at home with your mamma and binky, and really debate the two. I would really like to hear WHY he should stay or WHY he would leave.

1. 80% winning percentage. Highest of ANY active coaches, 4th ALL-TIME! That includes Coach K, Bobby Knight, and thousands of other coaches. You can say its the WCC, but no one else has done it in any other league. 2. Other highly touted head coaches aren't going to come to Gonzaga. We don't pay coaches like the top teir get paid.

Mark Few has taken less money to be here because he loves it. Do you think Jay Write, or Jamie Dixon would even consider a salary of less than $1MM per year? Sure few has other endorsements but he is in the caliber of 2.5 to 3.5MM per year on the open market and he chooses to honor us as our head coach. The reasons for him to stay are his and we don't need to nor is it our place to debate him. He is the only one who has to wake up every morning and say is my life the best it can be. If he says yes as GU's head coach, he should stay. I truely hope the rantings of a few blow hards who can't keep their mouths shut don't keep him from seeing that most of us appreciate and love our head coach.

sonuvazag
03-23-2010, 09:21 AM
Mark Few, especially for his pay, is the kind of coach you want to feel welcome and wanted.

sullyzag66
03-23-2010, 09:41 AM
Mark Few, especially for his pay, is the kind of coach you want to feel welcome and wanted.
He may not be feeling that so much. In this article by Bud Withers: (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/budwithers/2011413247_withers23.html)

It's fair to assume those folks were more perturbed with the NCAA loss to Syracuse than they were pleased with the opening-round victory over Florida State.

Few doesn't have a lot of patience for that. Sunday, shortly after the Syracuse game, I postulated to him that the "trick" was for people to look at the big picture and see the 27 victories in a rebuilding season rather than dwell on the hell the Orange wrought.

"That shouldn't be a trick," Few responded sharply. "That should be what everybody does. I don't know why you'd identify a seasonlong journey with one game."

gamagin
03-23-2010, 09:49 AM
By all accounts, including Few's, he is not going anywhere.

Thus the topics of being afraid, or his leaving, are moot.

Besides, this turd sank yesterday. Please, a courtesy flush is in order.

NovaZag
03-23-2010, 10:03 AM
I think it would be in Gonzaga's best interest to fire Few and staff, and hire two basketball-savvy, well-spoken, intelligent men that go by the names of Heister and Ehlo. I don't think I'm alone in saying they have a complete and total mastery of the game of basketball. The trick is figuring out how to pry them away from their commentating positions, which they do so well.

SFZAG95
03-23-2010, 10:16 AM
obviously gonzaga would never want mark few to leave.

BUT, i think you guys are overblowing the backward step the program would take. the roster would still be young and talented enough to keep the program rolling until the new guys gets established. it would still be a lock ncaa team by mid feb at the latest... for the foreseeable future

again, im sure nobody really wants him to go, but it wouldnt be the end of the world if he did. look at xavier, they have lost several excellent coaches, but the school is committed to the program, and they keep rolling along.

This is why I originally posted. I was not attacking the integrity of the coach. I was calling out the integrity of the fans of Gonzaga. It is a possibility the coach may leave he has an offer to go back to his alma matter. This is a reality.

Gonzaga Has made good choices in the men they hire to coach the basketball team. When they brought Fitzgerald back in the late 80's he got the ball rolling and got Gonzaga turned into a winner. Monson took over and built on Fitz accomplishments. Then he bolted. Few took the reigns and has built a top 25 program out of it. Billy Greer was on his staff and got plucked for the USD job because they want what Gonzaga has. (Heck Billy was to inherit the head coaching job at GU if few left.)

What I'm saying in a nutshell is this: We have enjoyed a good family tree of coaching the last 20 years at GU. I for one and maybe the only one who thinks if Few were to leave that with the reputation of our school and program that we would find another coach to fit the bill whether that be someone on the current staff or an up and comer. Team lose their coaches that is a reality and one we may face. There are many big conference teams and mid majors that lose their coach and continue to have success and I think GU will be fine if thats what happens.

Robzagnut
03-23-2010, 11:17 AM
Why?

See UMass without Calipari.
See Arizona without Lute.
See Utah without Marjerus.
See Stanford without Montgomery.
See Cinncinatti without Huggins.

Etc.

I don't think it's ever good to be cocky enough to think a program is good enough to be able to recover from the loss of a great coach. It took decades for UCLA to recover from the loss of Wooden. Kentucky searched for years and years and was never happy. Indiana still hasn't recovered from the loss of Bobby Knight. It will be interesting to see how long it takes Arizona to recover, if ever.

Coach Few is THE BEST coach for Gonzaga. He's awesome and if you think there's someone who is a better fit for this program, this school and this town, you're delusional.

Zag2000
03-23-2010, 11:19 AM
I'm going to get blasted, but the Zags expectations were set by the great team they had from 1997-2000. They set the stage with that 1st elite 8 run. That team was so great because of the players. They were a great group with good talent and all got along and played well together.

We have had some good teams since then and some very great players. Players are what get you into the top 64 teams. Coaching is what gets you a #1 seed. Mr. Few is a good coach. All the numbers from the last 12 years are a result of playing in the WCC and having some really good teams and being a good coach. We will continue to be a good program, and people need to get on board with just being a good program.

Gonzaga is unfortunately a 1 or 2 and out team. Once people start to realize that and just sit back and enjoy the season, we can all quit placing all the blame on everything. The yearly expectation should be to make it to the first round. Then if we do make it to the first round, expectations have been met. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

krozman
03-23-2010, 11:24 AM
The manifesto of a fair weather fan.

Zag2000
03-23-2010, 11:24 AM
playing in the NCAA tourney against a team with 2 hot shooters he went to a zone defense... they started the game playing great, going to EH down low... then what happened, got their big guy into foul trouble and quit going down low. 3's were not dropping, so keep shooting them and not going down low... i'm not afraid of losing him.

kitzbuel
03-23-2010, 11:36 AM
38 points inside (or 41 depending on who is scoring) does not sound like 'not going down low...'

Eighth-seeded Gonzaga (27-7) scored 38 points in the paint, with freshman Elias Harris (24 points) doing the most damage. When Syracuse center Rick Jackson picked up his third foul with 8:58 left in the first half, it looked like the Bulldogs were in position to exploit Onuaku's absence. But seldom-used 7-footer DaShonte Riley gave Syracuse decent minutes off the bench, and that was enough in a game where his teammates shot so well.

That said, Boeheim still sounded a bit concerned, noting Syracuse is "not the same team" without Onuaku.

"If we don't shoot the heck out of the basketball, then those points down in (the paint) are going to really hurt you," he said. "Arinze doesn't allow that to happen. He controls that paint area."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2010/03/21/2010-03-21_cuse_rips_gonzaga_to_advance_to_sweet_16.html

zagzealot
03-23-2010, 12:01 PM
"There are Zags zealots who have forgotten where they were a dozen years ago. They had never won an NCAA tournament game in 1998, and now they've won 15. But the monster has a big appetite in college sports, and the buzz is, there was a good deal of grumbling when Gonzaga got whacked by Saint Mary's in the WCC final."

Please note for the permanent record that I have never grumbled or forgotten where I was 12 years ago. :p

FuManShoes
03-23-2010, 12:33 PM
playing in the NCAA tourney against a team with 2 hot shooters he went to a zone defense... they started the game playing great, going to EH down low... then what happened, got their big guy into foul trouble and quit going down low. 3's were not dropping, so keep shooting them and not going down low... i'm not afraid of losing him.

Yeah, because the one game you lose outweighs the 27 you win. And a coach can magically make his guards start hitting threes from the bench or enable them to successfully pound it inside against a team that is sagging off because said guards haven't hit a three. Sound logic to me.

Now, do I wonder in hindsight what would have happened if Few would have gone all gonzo and done a Box & 1 on Rautins, forcing someone else to beat them? Maybe. But I haven't won one basketball game, let alone 291.

gamagin
03-23-2010, 01:49 PM

It's a fair question, imo. the only other question I have is what state of mind was MB in that game. He didn't appear to be in it. What really happened to him ? I think both these topics will be debated long into the future among friends and foes of the program and the individuals.

to hear what MF had to say about it, go here and watch the news conference in Buffalo after the game w/Cuse. about 7 minutes in, MF is asked about this very situation from a buffalo-area sports writer. fwiw.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=556694#post556694

Hoopaholic
03-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Zag2000
we know where you stand on Coach , you were calling for his outster in Feb 2009 as well.....so not sure "what" would please you

I for one think Coach is perfect for our school, he is a class act, he is engaged in community, engaged in meaningful issues outside the court, yet is focused on the court, on the kids... He is what is "perfect" about college game.

I also think those who dont think the program would suffer dont understand what a head coach, his philosophy, attitude, approach brings to a college program....

MickMick
03-23-2010, 05:47 PM
The annual token thread containing whines about the winningest coach in college hoops has run it's course.

Mods?