PDA

View Full Version : State of the FANS: Who Are WE?

ZagLawGrad
03-22-2010, 01:47 PM
The Zags got the #*#* kicked out of them yesterday. I was not surprised.

I lowered my expectations for this program last season in fairness to the fact the Zags are competing with some pretty tall timber.

Reason: history and logic tells me that the Zags will never win a National Championship, will probably never reach the Final Four, and once in a very blue moon will reach the Elite 8.

Are Zag fans being unrealisitic in expecting this program to make a Sweet 16 or better every year? What's the state of our fans?

bartruff1
03-22-2010, 02:19 PM
I agree with your expectations....but...when and if they get to the Dance again....hey...the right seed...the right matchup...a shot here...a call there...a bounce....not to a Championship but just maybe...a Elite Eight....last years team had that kind of talent..again IMHO....I'll be here if they are 12 and 12...like I was in the past..I have to add as long as Few is here...he leaves...all expectations change...

Once and Future Zag
03-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Last year's team - had they been in any other region than the one with UNC... FF bound - even with their 1 "true" Center out for most of the year.

It was very close to as perfect a storm you'll get for a team outside the Big-6...

It'll take a while to coordinate a group of players that talented all at the same time. But when it does, I expect we can go all the way.

That being said - I think 2 years from now with Sacre's senior season may be lining up that way.

BMAN
03-22-2010, 02:37 PM
I think fans are very unrealistic. We are a mid major program. We can not compete with the big BCS programs for recruits. It is very unrealistic to think we can get to the FF. With a higher seed and the right machups we could one day maybe get to an 8 again but even that is a dream. We are very lucky to be in the mix each year. Coach Few has done a remarkable job considering we are a WCC program

Reborn
03-22-2010, 02:53 PM
There are all kinds of fans in college basketball, and many different kinds of Zag fans. To think that all fans should think alike is so funny that I'm laughing really hard.:lmao: I say a good fan is someone who loves their team. What that means to one fan, or a group of fans that think alike, is going to be different from another. This thread is once again trying to convince the readers that those who DRINK KOOL-AID are not good fans. ha haha hah aa. This has been a constant thread of thinking for at least two years now. And Zaglawgrad is certainly a proponent of this thinking.

I llike being the kind of fan that I am. I am a dreamer, and I dream of the best for GU basketball. And I hope for the best. And I believe that one day soon we will make the final 4 and hopefully win a national championship. For those of you who think like Zaglawgrad, great for you. To think the Zags will NEVER reach the Final 4 or win a national championship, good for you. But you will never convince me (or others) to think like you at all.

I believe Mark Few DOES NOT think like Zaglawgrad at all, and if you read Braveheart, Zaglawgrad you will see how he thinks. And you won't convince Rob Sacre. I remember quite well when Rob announced his committment to Zag basketball, he promissed Few that they would make it to the final 4. I tend to think like Rob. And I will NOT be surprised if they do make it to the final 4 during the next two years. And if they do Rob will have a huge part in making that happen. Great thread Zaglawgrad. It's a great discussion topic and I hope we get a lot of diversity of thinking in it.

RenoZag
03-22-2010, 02:56 PM
This fan enjoys watching the team on television, occasionally seeing them in person, livin' and breathin' Zag hoops during the season.

I don't know that my expectations are any different from many other fans. For example, at the start of the season, I didn't think we would make the Big Dance, let alone win the WCC. After the success of Maui. I think my expectations changed and visions of a Sweet 16 or Elite 8 started dancing around my head.

I do know I enjoy following Gonzaga basketball and hope to do so for many years to come and have met some really great people who share the same enthusiasm for Zags hoops.

bartruff1
03-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Do you make a distinction between a "dream" and a "expectation" ?

BroncoZAG615
03-22-2010, 03:04 PM
The Zags got the #*#* kicked out of them yesterday. I was not surprised.

I lowered my expectations for this program last season in fairness to the fact the Zags are competing with some pretty tall timber.

Reason: history and logic tells me that the Zags will never win a National Championship, will probably never reach the Final Four, and once in a very blue moon will reach the Elite 8.

Are Zag fans being unrealisitic in expecting this program to make a Sweet 16 or better every year? What's the state of our fans?

Did history and logic before 1999 tell you that Gonzaga would go on to make 12 straight NCAA Tournaments and be a dominant force in a division one conference?

Was that within your expectations then? What's to say that this still relatively young program on a national level can't make that next jump. Sorry, but I refuse to believe that this staff won't get to a Final Four.

zagmantis2001
03-22-2010, 03:10 PM
A bunch of spoiled arm-chair coaching, second-guessing, nothing better to do but complain when we lose, player bashing babies.

odeasmcgu
03-22-2010, 03:12 PM
I might be a dreamer too, but every year I believe GU can go all the way. And why not? How many other teams in the country have as many consecutive bids in the NCAA Tourney as NCAA? How many teams get a neutral court with UNC and BEAT them. How many teams take Kevin Durant to school? How many teams go into Maui on a down year and win the whole thing?

I hope GU continues to keep its small school identity, just like I want that for an up and coming SMC program, but Mark Few and Co. have done things to take this program to a high-high level where you should expect to be a factor on the national scene Every Year.

Additionally, what makes GU and SMC different from the likes of Villanova, Georgetown, and Seton Hall. Those teams have the same type of academic profile the WCC has. They have the same type of kids, same enrollment size, same education, same type of people. Transplant a Villanova, Xavier, or Marquette out west and you have a mirror image of GU, SMC, or USD. What it takes is an understanding that as Randy Bennett has said is the mentality that "being good is okay." Mark Few knows it, your players expect it, and we need to continue to buy into that notion.

So GU hasn't hurdled the big one. It can happen. It should have happened against UCLA a few years back. It will happen again. Don't loose faith in your players or Mark Few. Look, you caught Syracuse on basically their home turf after they already saw what happened to Kansas. You don't think after the Kansas loss they were shocked and fired up and ready to play. My bet is if GU had been in Spokane or a got the easy draw UW had we wouldn't be having this discussion and instead would be talking about how the WCC has two teams in the Sweet 16.

SFZAG95
03-22-2010, 03:13 PM
Better watch some college basketball...we are a program that hits the sweet 16....that is our superbowl...tell me you guys watched us play duke and syracuse....they have bigger, stronger, faster and more mentally tough players than we do....the elite 8 from 11 years ago and beating unc or ucla...that happens from time to time, but it will contine to be rare for us unless we take another step forward in our program with recruits and that hasn't happened yet....if we get 3 superstars on our team then maybe that's possible... we're lucky if we have 1 star....

U Zig, I Zag
03-22-2010, 03:18 PM
We are in a better spot then 80% of the BCS schools. I would much rather have a really, really good chance of making it every year with kids that stick around for a few years (at least). The talent will come and the cohesiveness as well.

Reborn
03-22-2010, 03:19 PM
Better watch some college basketball...we are a program that hits the sweet 16....that is our superbowl...tell me you guys watched us play duke and syracuse....they have bigger, stronger, faster and more mentally tough players than we do....the elite 8 from 11 years ago and beating unc or ucla...that happens from time to time, but it will contine to be rare for us unless we take another step forward in our program with recruits and that hasn't happened yet....if we get 3 superstars on our team then maybe that's possible... we're lucky if we have 1 star....

If I'm not mistaken, ZagLawGrad said Never and Probably never. And those words were in BOLD print. NEVER MEANS NEVER!!!!

RenoZag
03-22-2010, 03:34 PM
A bunch of spoiled arm-chair coaching, second-guessing, nothing better to do but complain when we lose, player bashing babies.

Two questions:

Is your chair a rocker or a recliner ?

Did you drop your binky ?

NYCZAG
03-22-2010, 04:11 PM
I disagree I think they are actually getting closer because the comp isn't getting better it's getting worse because of kids not going to school to jump to NBA-EUROPE-ETC. I think if we had a balance of the last couple of years together at one time they do it-Look, Syracuse didn't miss anything they would of beat the Celtics yesterday-Not that that is saying much these days haha-This team needs to get an all around team at the same time and they will make a good run-Look if Dan Dickau's clone transfered in next year to run the point and the younger guys had a great summer this team would do serious damage-I really think it's a matter of timing on recruits-It's either we aren't tough and we have great shooters or now we have a front court but not the point-This isn't a slam against Demetri-We all know he's a good kid-tough-fast but maybe he doesn't fit with what this team NEEDS RIGHT NOW-We need a point who isn't a liability on offense which he is-He doesn't make the defense honest-STEPP-DICKAU did exactly that-Harris and Sacre with that team that lost to MICH STATE in sweet 16 would of given them a run-That's the balance we haven't had-I hope they get a good point before Harris and Sacre leave because then we will be on the other end of the spectrum-I love these guys and it's just a game and they did go over what the expectations were for them this year but come on that's like saying a girl puts out on the first date then the second date says she's not that type of girl!-They built our expectations so it's only natural to feel let down-