PDA

View Full Version : Mark Few Final Radio show Monday

gamagin
03-22-2010, 11:28 AM
th (sounding winded, tired, hungover or just perhaps pooped): talk about the season. ncaa first game first. FSU - what were you able able to do there ?

Few (sounding same as TH) - our guys went out and executed. assists, execution, followed the plan and finished off with a make. what we set off to do with syracuse was the same, but there we didn't make the shots. we were choking down on the bigs worked early for both. it all worked pretty well except for the shots. they went in vs fsu and didn't vs cuse.

Few: re FSU: people said what happened after the 1st half? we played flawless in first have vs fsu. second half they showed why there were the #1 defender in the nation and we were forced to change a little, they started making shots and it was game on. crowd on their side and they made a run. we missed a few gimmes and f.t.'s and it gets above 20 and unrealistic. then down from 12, 8 and you can't stall out 16 pt leads.

like the ucla game. there's too many possessions and the clock to worry about. you cannot just stall. everyone makes a run, gotta count on it. i thought we showed some poise, our f.t.'s went in, & it was a HUGE win.

th: contiuing on winning vs fsu, is there an accomplishment in advancing and staying in.

MF: it's HUGE. we travel 2k mile take on an ACC third place team, high fg % nationally. It's a good win for anyone. everyone needs a doese of reality.

we're in rare territory. coach boehem is going to move past john wooden. knight & calhoun, too. we're getting up there ourselves with, what, (15 ? th: yes, 15 tournament wins).

MF: thats alot of tournament wins.

---

re syracuse:

went from top def to top off:

mf: probably won't see that again in a whole career.

th: hard to play against ?
mf: yeah we have one practice toprepare. cuse went from a 3-2 to a 2-3 to an extended out look they gave us. such weapons.

Butler willhave a week to prepare for it. if cuse gets past butler, the next team, like us, has one day to prepare for them again. it will be tough.

boeheim likes this team alot. he likes them cuz they play hard, extend and buy into doing all the extra things that alot of his ore talented teams didn';t do. they play at the highest level of any #1 team out there, imo.

to watch their guys vs vt and then us reminded me of the UNC team we ran into last year. if they keep playing that way no one will beat them. their #'s good for the year. but if they do keep it up they are unbeatable.,

th: what do early and what happend ?

mf: we got the ball where we wanted to all afternoon. the way our guys took the plan in a 90 min practice, i was proud. we attacked their zone. hadn't played more than 100 mins vs xone. guys did a great job. only took 3-4 shots all night that weren't good looks. at some point gott step up and make em.

we attacked perfectly, they just didn't go in. we haven't been a good shooting team all season, esp if mb and sg are n ot making them, we have got a chance.

th: cut it to four once. 3:15 mins later your down by 16.

mf: a missd shot, a to, a free throw and a wide open miss, sg to eh, missed.they hit a 3,. timie out, another to at post. that's just how it went. we've done it to others, reminiscent of the smc game. 4-5 possessions ou go zero and they score, there's quote a gap.

half: gotta have stops. then routin came out and hit some howitzers. 80-90% we had a face up in there. they went in anyway.

they were unbeatable. like watching lawson and the boys runup and down last year vs unc.

sometimes it all clicks. andy routins is doing a great job. grat leadership. probably now a 1st round draft pick. i'm sittin gthere courtside, when you see wes johnson playing, you say "that's what a pro look like." he's going to play a long, long time in the bigs."

gamagin
03-22-2010, 11:34 AM
th: bolden, foster, and P-Maag now gone. what expect next year ? were you prepared this year and what about future

mf: need add perimeter players. need to get better out there. make some additions. couple of good redshirts. sam can step in and help and I think david had a good redshirt year -- needs to get stronger and biggger.

leadership with rs and sg & eh, as leaders, it wil be nothing but great for the team. yet they have perosnalities that they can lead. the day after however is difficult to picture this day after the cuse game.

th: how much time do yu take to enjoy the season.
mf: that's a problem. you always have to keep moving forward.
also need to evaluate the whole program. i need to get away and assess. we're out recruiting today. have a couple late signers. then we assessment what everyone has to do. now they need to be students, have a good time and the staff needs to finish recruiting and get back wiiht our families and be normal.

th: what do the players need to do ?
mf: couple weeks, lifting. no intense bkb or anything like that till school is out. we're out of school in 6 weeks. maybe a week before school ends we will gather them togethr. summers they work on their own.

gamagin
03-22-2010, 11:44 AM
th: from the MAC. how feel about where things are now ?
mf: again, feel great. pause. just got done playing. not ready for philoophical questions 24 hours after it all ended. feel proud of this group. there were more questions going into this year, 2-3 weeks into the exhibition season, about where they going to be, hold up or how are they going to compete in the league. portland and smc and anaheim looking strong. we didn't know. they came alot farther than I thought they could. so I reflect on that.

th: what about Rob ? 2 good games in Buff.
MF: he is such a key to our personae. he had a great year. he had a reallygood year. started out great as a force. hit a low, again, cuz he played so well early. got doubled and unable to handle it. now he will go into next year as a premiere big guy in the country. challenge to make the jump from this year to next. such a great guy to coach. great attitude, energy, toughness everyone respects him. going to be a big leader, too.

th: re EH, international opportunities, what else ?
mf: just finishing school andhe'll have a plan to hookup with German nationals. great experience and least we know he'll be practicing, playing and learning over there. a positive. hope to get him back a little earlier next year than he did his first year.

th: were you surprised at how quickly he contributed?
mf: yes, ecstatic. knew he was going to be good but amazed how consistent he was. but he is 20 years old.

mf: never shows late, always knows what's going on. we run a ton of plays, doing well in school (3.2 ave). got here in mid sept. had to intro him to his teammates, he jumped right in and started playing and so it was amazing he was able to make ajump like that and be so effective.

th: about meech ?

mf: meech gives effort and he's tough. he gives us prtty darn good prsence. obviously gotta learn to shoot 3 pt and f.t. shots better. he needs to get those things solved. he needs to set up guys better. but there's always a place for a guy who plays as hard and tough as meech. can't been the combo. but he needs more offense in his game.
(my analysis from few's tone: he is going to be pressed and challenged and he must improve, or he will get less and less p.t.)

gamagin
03-22-2010, 11:51 AM
th:where skedding headed and foresee another difficult beginning?
mf: hopefully not. difficult timing. we're locked into alot of things. the ced classic; to kansas state & marquette in NOV.; play two in KC at the new arena; then will have home and home with wake beginning there; and memphis here; starting a series with xavier; the BIS -- there's a lotta games in there.

th: any solace knowing at least you have some guys who've played before ?.

mf: yeah when i start thinking about it I will, yeah. we still have a couple of games to fill in. it's a hard racket figuring it out. coach krause is working on it. some hold out to the bitter end so probably wont be finished til end of summer.

mth: when going fishing
mf: gotta finish recruiting. trying to wrap that up. hope to keep staff together, some of staff is looiking at other opportunities, gotta get through that. schools are looking at some of our staff closely. These are strange times.

I've been used to regular prep, practice film routine, go home, get ready and . . . suddenly . . . its all over. That's where I'm at. (he never got back to discussing fishing . . . )

primal23
03-22-2010, 11:54 AM
th:where skedding headed and foresee another difficult beginning?

mth: when going fishing
mf: gotta finish recruiting. trying to wrap that up. hope to keep staff together, some of staff is looiking at other opportunities, gotta get through that. schools are looking at some of our staff closely. These are strange times.

I've been used to regular prep, practice film routine, go home, get ready and . . . suddenly . . . its all over. That's where I'm at. (he never got back to discussing fishing . . . )

This part I think is the most critical. Getting some new players in this year, shooters and a big maybe? That and it will be hard to replace Rice and Ray in the same year if they both leave. Oh and thanks for the update, since I can never remember to catch the show.

gamagin
03-22-2010, 11:57 AM
th: what about the women ?
mf: big time win. ncaa win is a great thing. for them to do that in seattle, is huge. got alot of gals from the area. our fans are there. another great opportunity tonight.

th: that's it. congrats coach. Let's enjoy the special 27-7 season. fantstic year. step back and say, with all the question marks

mf: i hope the fans feel that way. the support has been great, hope all fans never lose perspective. we all want to win. as I said last week, we were looking at roy williams & carolina, they didn't make it to the dance; usc didn't either. Being league champs and getting the ncaa bids are special. we have great guys representing us and it's something everyone should be proud of.

mf: you, too, huddy. you did a great job, too this year. It's been great having you along.

th: thanks all, good bye.

GU69
03-22-2010, 12:00 PM
gamagin -- - Thanks for such a thorough job.

Really a good interview. I thought that Coach Few was very candid. There are a lot of things going on, but next year should be good.

ZagNative
03-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Thanks, gamagin! Great job as usual.

rawkmandale
03-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Fantastic report. I'm SO proud of Mark Few and his players and the whole GU program. Thanks for the thrill ride, once again. I do hope he gets a little fishing in, between all the work coming up. Certainly sounds like he's staying put!

a13coach
03-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Great job gamagin!

For all those expressing their "informed" opinion on other MBB threads bashing the coach or any number of the players, you need to read this and keep in mind that none of us would last more than a week as a mid-level D-1 men's basketball coach let alone a top level coach like we have a GU.

cjm720
03-22-2010, 01:11 PM
th: that's it. congrats coach. Let's enjoy the special 27-7 season. fantstic year. step back and say, with all the question marks

mf: i hope the fans feel that way. the support has been great, hope all fans never lose perspective. we all want to win. as I said last week, we were looking at roy williams & carolina, they didn't make it to the dance; usc didn't either. Being league champs and getting the ncaa bids are special. we have great guys representing us and it's something everyone should be proud of.

This should be pinned to the top of the board.

thickman1
03-22-2010, 01:25 PM
th: how much time do yu take to enjoy the season.
mf: that's a problem. you always have to keep moving forward.
also need to evaluate the whole program. i need to get away and assess. we're out recruiting today. have a couple late signers. then we assessment what everyone has to do. now they need to be students, have a good time and the staff needs to finish recruiting and get back wiiht our families and be normal.

I think the last sentence says all you need to know about his intentions. There is no way you can escape when you go to a school like UofO or elsewhere. Demands are too great.

I loved the entire recap - excellent work. I think this team overachieved this year. It would have been great to get Matty to a Sweet 16 with a chance to advance but the loss of Manny and the egg laid at USF probably were the reasons that didn't play out.

I'm very excited for next season and can live without the "who must go" chatter.

U Zig, I Zag
03-22-2010, 01:28 PM
This should be pinned to the top of the board.

yup. clean it up and pin it up top.

Thanks Gama

JAGzag
03-22-2010, 01:44 PM
we're out recruiting today. have a couple late signers.

Anyone else catch this? Any ideas, haven't heard about anyone signing for a bit. Curious.

jazzdelmar
03-22-2010, 01:55 PM
about as candid as any prominent d1 coach has ever been, imo.....read between the lines.....we need hellllllllllppppp!!!

DADoZAG
03-22-2010, 02:12 PM
about as candid as any prominent d1 coach has ever been, imo.....read between the lines.....we need hellllllllllppppp!!!

A picture may be worth a thousand words, but being able to read between the lines paints a thousand pictures.

My sarcasm is to indicate that I guess I was reading between different lines, because what I heard Few say was that fans need to base their expectations on reality not on personal desires. What I heard Few say was he hadnít thought about next year much because every ounce of energy was focused on surviving and advancing, was focused on play this year, with this group. What I heard him say was that he was proud of a group of young men, some which had never sat on the bench during a D1 game, let alone played in one. What I heard was a tired man, hammered not only by fanís expectations, but his own ambition to take his team as far as he could.

Thank you Coach Few, staff, and the 2009-2010 players for all your work and a journey I'll never forget.

Go ZAGS!

BMAN
03-22-2010, 02:14 PM
There are two things points I got from the show

1st. Coach Few realizes that we need shooters next year. He said they are looking for two perimeter players. He said that we have not been a good perimeter shooting team all year. When Matt and Steve were not on we got into trouble.

2nd. He said that if Syracuse does win it all Boeheim will get the record for most tournament wins at 44 passing Wooden and company. He has been head coach at Syracuse for 34 years. Coach Few has 15 tournament wins in 10 years. That is very impressive in my mind.

I think we must all realize that we are not a bcs school and cannot get the great 5 star kids. Everytime we come up against the Syracuses and Dukes we are at a big disadvantage. Few has really done a remarkable job keeping us in the hunt. We all (myself included ) sometimes become to critical of the job he is doing. He runs a very good program and I hope he stays a long time

gamagin
03-22-2010, 04:28 PM
A picture may be worth a thousand words, but being able to read between the lines paints a thousand pictures.

My sarcasm is to indicate that I guess I was reading between different lines, because what I heard Few say was that fans need to base their expectations on reality not on personal desires. What I heard Few say was he hadnít thought about next year much because every ounce of energy was focused on surviving and advancing, was focused on play this year, with this group. What I heard him say was that he was proud of a group of young men, some which had never sat on the bench during a D1 game, let alone played in one. What I heard was a tired man, hammered not only by fanís expectations, but his own ambition to take his team as far as he could.

Thank you Coach Few, staff, and the 2009-2010 players for all your work and a journey I'll never forget.
Go ZAGS!

Few has been saying for as long as I can remember that fans and everyone needs to realize what it means for a school this size to even be considered in the same league with some of these powerhouses.

It's the Yankees versus Whitworth. Cleveland vs eastern. Northern Iowa . . . oh nevermind. It takes an amazing set of circumstances to get into the dance much less make an impact.

BC1210is
03-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Bump.

This thread needs to be on the first page.

Where are those 3 scholies going next year? Can't wait for ZN to update the prospects list and all the recruit speculation that happens this time of the year and the board starts to get a little quiet. Time to stop lamenting the loss, bashing players and look toward next year while reflecting on the season.

Knotsolucky
03-29-2010, 04:17 AM
Thanks Gamagin... Your posts are always are always 'Top Drawer.' I'm sure I'm speaking for everyone here when I say that we appreciate you. :)

TerpZag
03-29-2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks Gamagin... Your posts are always are always 'Top Drawer.' I'm sure I'm speaking for everyone here when I say that we appreciate you. :)

:agreed:

OZZY
03-29-2010, 09:49 PM

+1:D

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-30-2010, 01:13 AM
.........what I heard Few say was that fans need to base their expectations on reality not on personal desires. What I heard Few say was he hadnít thought about next year much because every ounce of energy was focused on surviving and advancing, was focused on play this year, with this group. What I heard him say was that he was proud of a group of young men, some which had never sat on the bench during a D1 game, let alone played in one. What I heard was a tired man, hammered not only by fanís expectations, but his own ambition to take his team as far as he could.

Go ZAGS!

Attaboy DADoZag

Colbyspapa
03-30-2010, 09:14 AM
Thank you for posting this. Great recap. You must have typed fast!

kitzbuel
03-30-2010, 09:46 AM
Few is completely holding out!

He ain't given up anything on his fishing holes, is he. :mad:

CB4
03-30-2010, 12:37 PM
Few has been saying for as long as I can remember that fans and everyone needs to realize what it means for a school this size to even be considered in the same league with some of these powerhouses.

It's the Yankees versus Whitworth. Cleveland vs eastern. Northern Iowa . . . oh nevermind. It takes an amazing set of circumstances to get into the dance much less make an impact.

Gamagin, so long as you keep making a point you have made a million times, I will do the same.

The entire class of 2011 at NCAA High School had been saying it since their freshman year, that Al Gonzaga needs to realize what it means to even sit across the cafeteria from the head cheerleader, Fiona Four. They all said Al was too scrawny, too ugly, too socially inept, and that he should consider himself lucky to be in the same room as her.

How could a nerd like Al get Fiona to go to prom with him when he had to compete with hot shot jocks like Chad Duke, Mitch State and big Ken Tuck?

Al was always a dreamer. He believed in himself. He also made a few adjustments... and the next day came around and Lil Aloysius spit some game on Fiona and took her to the prom. Chad, Mitch and Ken were shocked, so was the rest of NCAA HS, but Al Gonzaga wasn't done yet...

Al dumped Fiona shortly after the prom, as he had his sights set on the most sought after girl in school, Natalie Champion. With legs for days and breasts for weeks, Natalie was the type of girl that most guys were afraid to approach. Not Al. He smacked up some guy named Louis V. and then told Natalie Champion to get in the front seat, for had to make good time to meet his family in Spokane.

gamagin
03-30-2010, 01:00 PM
<< Gamagin, so long as you keep making a point you have made a million times, I will do the same. >>

It's Few's point, not mine. Few keeps repeating it. Practically every radio and tv show I have heard/seen this year, for e.g. It's been the subject of numerous threads and endless dicussion.

I make reference to it when I read numerous posts wondering why GU isn't in the FF yet. fwiw.

otherwise I have no idea w.t.f. you are trying to say. I can guess, but why work me so hard ? Just say it, whatever your point is, and I'll gladly read it & even respond, if you like. I might even agree with you. I don't know yet.

thanks,

DADoZAG
03-30-2010, 01:09 PM
With legs for days and breasts for weeks, Natalie was the type of girl that most guys were afraid to approachÖ.

Nice story CB4, fantastic character names. Seriously, bravo!

The description of Natalie reminds me somewhat of MOMoZAG. Years ago, she and I had a conversation about believing in oneself. And Iím not making this up one bit.

You see, MOMoZAG was sure that if she believed strongly that she could do something, was willing to work hard and never be talked out of her goal, she would succeed. She said no matter what, she could do anything if she kept telling herself and those around her that it was an attainable goal.

We happened to be out on the court at the time, and as I softly tossed her a pass (no, not the flirtatious kind) I asked her to show me an unassisted two handed dunk on our very accurately height adjusted rim.

Now, MOMoZAG is just a smidge over five feet tall, and she just looked at me with that ďyouíre an A-holeĒ look that I have grown to love after twenty seven years, and walked away.

The next week was somewhat lonely because being right is not always right, something else Iíve learned after twenty seven years. But, eventually, MOMoZAG came to me and admitted that believing in oneself is great, and is ONE of the most important mental attitudes an athlete must have. Of that there is no doubt.

Another important item needed is realism, and setting attainable goals.

Oh, after that lonely week I did get my basketball back.

Go ZAGS!

PS, I wish I had that dead horse symbol to enter here.

cjm720
03-31-2010, 08:21 AM
Gamagin, so long as you keep making a point you have made a million times, I will do the same.

The entire class of 2011 at NCAA High School had been saying it since their freshman year, that Al Gonzaga needs to realize what it means to even sit across the cafeteria from the head cheerleader, Fiona Four. They all said Al was too scrawny, too ugly, too socially inept, and that he should consider himself lucky to be in the same room as her.

How could a nerd like Al get Fiona to go to prom with him when he had to compete with hot shot jocks like Chad Duke, Mitch State and big Ken Tuck?

Al was always a dreamer. He believed in himself. He also made a few adjustments... and the next day came around and Lil Aloysius spit some game on Fiona and took her to the prom. Chad, Mitch and Ken were shocked, so was the rest of NCAA HS, but Al Gonzaga wasn't done yet...

Al dumped Fiona shortly after the prom, as he had his sights set on the most sought after girl in school, Natalie Champion. With legs for days and breasts for weeks, Natalie was the type of girl that most guys were afraid to approach. Not Al. He smacked up some guy named Louis V. and then told Natalie Champion to get in the front seat, for had to make good time to meet his family in Spokane.

Good stuff, CB4!!!