PDA

View Full Version : GJ: Read Me

Zagsker
03-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Stay. I want you as the PG next year. You have all the tools that we need. I don't know WHY Few refused to play you consistently. Battle Meech in practice and take that spot

zagsmyboys
03-22-2010, 10:14 AM
+1.....agreed!

BobZag
03-22-2010, 10:15 AM
divisive.

hockeyzag
03-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Agree,

Thought you played awesome in the Syracuse game. Loved your hustle and your smart play. Work your butt off this summer and go in next season and take that spot.

Zagsker
03-22-2010, 10:21 AM
divisive.

no...truthful

theothegreat21
03-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Stay. I want you as the PG next year. You have all the tools that we need. I don't know WHY Few refused to play you consistently. Battle Meech in practice and take that spot

How on earth do you have any idea GJ has what it takes? Was it his play against Syracuse when we were down by 30 and they were playing matador defense?

gamagin
03-22-2010, 10:38 AM
to whoever can take it and keep it.

It has been each year since, oh, the last one hundred years of the previous millenium. I encourage everyone with a chance to go for it to do so. I am sure they will.

It will only make us all better.

Ezag
03-22-2010, 10:42 AM
How on earth do you have any idea GJ has what it takes? Was it his play against Syracuse when we were down by 30 and they were playing matador defense?

At this point, I find it hard to believe that GJ would be worse than Meech.

BobZag
03-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Few saw you everyday, GJ, but I don't know WHY he didn't play you more, GJ, but you're better than Meech and Gibbs and David Stockton, so beat them out. And we need more Foster, too. He's so good.

theothegreat21
03-22-2010, 10:56 AM
At this point, I find it hard to believe that GJ would be worse than Meech.

Then why didn't GJ play? It's not like the coaching staff saw him everyday in practice, right? If GJ were the better option he would have played, it's that simple. Few has always been willing to give freshman playing time when they earn it. Look at Austin, Steven, Matt, Pargo, and even LG. If you are the best at your position you tend to play. Clearly, GJ wasn't the answer.

BroncoZAG615
03-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Any chance we can just merge all these threads that wind up bashing Demetri?

flutieflakes
03-22-2010, 11:11 AM
to whoever can take it and keep it... It will only make us all better.

Absolutely agree with this. Both these guys seem like competitive guys. With Meech, I remember back to last year's Memphis game, when he was the only guy that didn't roll over when we were getting shellacked. And with GJ... he strikes me as one of those guys with a chip on his shoulder, after the Kentucky situation and not getting many minutes this year. Kinda like a Danny Paraseau, Omar Samhan or Greivis Vasquez. And I loved when he dropped a huge F-bomb in a quiet arena yesterday after missing out on an "And-1" in the second half. At first I thought, "what a jackass", but then I realized, "hey, at least he cares".

I think that both these guys could really thrive in an environment that creates direct competition, considering their personalities.

Ezag
03-22-2010, 11:15 AM
Then why didn't GJ play? It's not like the coaching staff saw him everyday in practice, right? If GJ were the better option he would have played, it's that simple. Few has always been willing to give freshman playing time when they earn it. Look at Austin, Steven, Matt, Pargo, and even LG. If you are the best at your position you tend to play. Clearly, GJ wasn't the answer.

Not sure, but I still find it hard to believe Goodson is the best at his position on the team. If that was the case then Bouldin wouldn't have taken over most the point duties. You can't tell me you think Meech is the answer! Look at all the other WCC teams starting PG and tell me you can think of another one worse than Meech in terms of scoring and passing.

Zagsker
03-22-2010, 11:16 AM

observation and opinion

GJ seems to have a more complete offensive game and defensively I really could not see what Meech brings that justifies his hefty minutes

Zagsker
03-22-2010, 11:17 AM

and Few has also shown that he is loyal to a fault

Zagsker
03-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Few saw you everyday, GJ, but I don't know WHY he didn't play you more

you and me both

Look I fully understand that GJ received a lot of his time in mop up duty...but like others have stated, I find it hard to believe that GJ is any worse than Meech offensively and frankly when he has gotten in during primetime (even though it was few and far between) he looked very settled and in the flow of the offense

Zagsker
03-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Any chance we can just merge all these threads that wind up bashing Demetri?

and honestly not trying to bash Meech but instead give some thought to GJ.

I actually enjoy watching Meech when he is playing within himself. Making calculated drives to the hole and up in the grill of an offensive players...but the truth is, he more often than not hurt us because teams do not respect his shot one little bit...if he can improve on that he will be 100x's better than he is right now and could be an easy All-Conf canidate

BroncoZAG615
03-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Any chance we can just merge all the threads that bash Meech whilst giving thought to G.J. then.

theothegreat21
03-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Not sure, but I still find it hard to believe Goodson is the best at his position on the team. If that was the case then Bouldin wouldn't have taken over most the point duties. You can't tell me you think Meech is the answer! Look at all the other WCC teams starting PG and tell me you can think of another one worse than Meech in terms of scoring and passing.

I see no reason why Meech can't be the answer. He has started one season, in which 8 new guys were incorporated into the roster, and guys like Elias and Bol weren't even there until a couple weeks into the school year. A point guard is at his best when he is a confidence in how an offense should operate and where everyone will be at a certain time.

Meech spent this summer and season adjusting from back up to starter in a complex offense that plays against high level competition. This summer should provide a huge growth in his individual game and also comfort level with key guys in the offense (Manny, Bol, Elias etc.). I think we sometimes forget he was just a sophomore this year and has tons of room to improve. So yes, I have a lot of faith that Meech can be the answer.

JPtheBeasta
03-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Coach Boeheim lauded Meech's defensive effort against Rautins in the post-game, FWIW.

People with short memories won't remember that people criticized Few's loyalty to Matty early on in his career, and look how that turned out. People with even shorter memories won't remember that Meech had a solid game against FSU. We were good down low against 'Cuse and they were super hot from 3- without that it is an upset special and we are talking about how good this team is right now. I think more of the talk should be about how good Syracuse is and less about how bad Meech is at the point.
I bemoaned the fact that we didn't have someone with length who could stay on either of their guards. The guys looked well prepared and did well with the game plan until that run Syracuse went on to end the half. The second half opens with two straight 3's. That was the end. Meech wasn't the problem.

SCUZAG
03-22-2010, 11:48 AM
say back to Ravio, will remember the bashing he took early in his GU career on this same board. And I think he turned out just fine. Also remember some questions here about Chunk before he was Chisel...bottom line, you hope both guys are working hard at practice and competing to the best of their abilities in games. But at some point, you have to have enough confidence in the coaches, who I would say have earned at this point, to know that they are recruiting the best kids they can and playing the kids that they think are the best options. Lot more going on than what you see for 40 minutes on the court.

coolhandzag
03-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Few saw you everyday, GJ, but I don't know WHY he didn't play you more, GJ, but you're better than Meech and Gibbs and David Stockton, so beat them out. And we need more Foster, too. He's so good.

Everyone is hurt and disappointed by the Syracuse lose, but that’s not a reason to be discordant, argumentative and condescending.

There are issues with the GU backcourt, and they will be address as best they can be.

Few examines every practice and makes decisions accordingly. Along those lines a scholarship is one year renewable contract and Big Will managed to stay on for the duration because he was “so good”, maybe, maybe not? Still you shouldn’t ridicule him, even in a facetious tone, to make your point.

After all he checked Samhan so hard he fell down and went boom.

JohnOGU
03-22-2010, 12:56 PM

Don't get me wrong, I love Meech, but he does nothing out there to solidify his starting job. His defense at times is great, but at others its average. There's no reason that GJ shouldnt get a shot.

Also, it's no secret that Few plays favorites...

cjm720
03-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love Meech, but he does nothing out there to solidify his starting job. His defense at times is great, but at others its average. There's no reason that GJ shouldnt get a shot.

Also, it's no secret that Few plays favorites...

Few plays the players he trusts the most to help win the game. Few is all about the Ws, and he's done it quite admirably over the past decade or so IMO.

thickman1
03-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Coach Boeheim lauded Meech's defensive effort against Rautins in the post-game, FWIW.

:lmao: Seriously? Routins killed us...KILLED US!

I like Demetri - he leaves it all out on the floor. Yeah, he doesn't shoot well, and he tends to be a second or two late when thinking about passing to the post (then window is closed), and he dribbles around far too much out on top. BUT - he has heart, and is a nasty defender. Maybe he shouldn't start but you can't tell me he doesn't provide something worthwhile to the team. But to hear that Boeheim applauded him for his work on the guy who probably single-handedly killed GU's dream of a sweet 16 is quite funny.

ZagLawGrad
03-22-2010, 01:18 PM
...if you think GJ is going to replace Meech as a starter at PG. If you think so, you really don't know Coach Few. GJ may---emphasis on may---pick up some more minutes, but he will not start over Meech.

If GJ was the player some of you think he is, the guy would have been in the games earning his stripes. There's probably more to the story of his riding the pine that you just don't know.

tinfoilzag
03-22-2010, 01:18 PM
I saw Meech improve throughout the year. He accepted a role on the team which minimized his weaknesses and took advantage of his strengths.

I'm not sure if he can continue to improve as much as he did this year. I don't know if he can become a consistent shooter. The one thing I do believe is that his head is in the right place.

If Meech continues to improve through the off-season and GJ improves enough to take his starting spot, we will have no questions at the point guard position next year.

surfmonkey89
03-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Instead of merging the threads, we should just create another forum called Festivus, where everyone can air their grievances.

sonuvazag
03-22-2010, 02:42 PM
Instead of merging the threads, we should just create another forum called Festivus, where everyone can air their grievances.
Okay, well, first off, there will be no need to add jmo, imo, or imho to the end of your statements because i knew that already.

ZagManFan
03-22-2010, 02:42 PM
I blame Dower for red-shirting for this whole mess.

surfmonkey89
03-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Okay, well, first off, there will be no need to add jmo, imo, or imho to the end of your statements because i knew that already.

That's it. Time for the Feats of Strength.

GUDan07
03-22-2010, 03:07 PM
That's it. Time for the Feats of Strength.

"STOP CRYING AND FIGHT YOUR FATHER!"

alldaye
03-22-2010, 03:46 PM
I see no reason why Meech can't be the answer. He has started one season, in which 8 new guys were incorporated into the roster, and guys like Elias and Bol weren't even there until a couple weeks into the school year. A point guard is at his best when he is a confidence in how an offense should operate and where everyone will be at a certain time.

Meech spent this summer and season adjusting from back up to starter in a complex offense that plays against high level competition. This summer should provide a huge growth in his individual game and also comfort level with key guys in the offense (Manny, Bol, Elias etc.). I think we sometimes forget he was just a sophomore this year and has tons of room to improve. So yes, I have a lot of faith that Meech can be the answer.

He can't shoot, finish, or pass...just to keep it simple. He's an average pt guard, and should not be starting for a program like Gonzaga. Unless he makes huge improvements this offseason, GJ should start next fall

FrahmfortheWin
03-22-2010, 04:53 PM
And we need more Foster, too. He's so good.

yeah that was called for. Somebody used the word 'divisive' earlier, how quickly we forget.

Nobody can say GJ will be better than Meech with any kind of certainty, but is that a good enough reason not to play him and actually find out? The argument that he could be no better than meech so lets not put him in and find out is garbage.

MickMick
03-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Zags need much, much better play at the point guard position.

My view:

If the level of play remains the same, there will be six WCC teams that are stronger at the point than the Zags next season.

This is how I see it.

CB4
03-22-2010, 05:44 PM
GJ refused to buy into Few's system

Goodson went all in on Few's system

Goodson gets minutes

FrahmfortheWin
03-22-2010, 05:53 PM
GJ refused to buy into Few's system

Goodson went all in on Few's system

Goodson gets minutes

With all the inside knowledge of a fan some 2500 miles from the campus I have to agree, there is clearly something beyond -Meech is simply just that much better at this stage than GJ- The absolute lack of playing time in conference play is what has me leaning in that direction.

Who needs daytime soaps? We can create all the drama and intrigue we need right here and I dont even need to figure out how to program my TiVo to enjoy it.

Whats the countdown on days left to next years opening tip?

Zagsker
03-22-2010, 07:38 PM
You could be 100% correct about this, who knows? Stamina may be another issue.

maybe it is his pregame meals?:D ;)

jayray
03-22-2010, 07:55 PM
I would like to know what is behind all the time GJ got in the second half? 13 minutes, is that the most he played all year? That seems like a pretty strong signal to me.

kitzbuel
03-22-2010, 08:06 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3571/3413411700_1de8699dbd.jpg

GrizZAG
03-22-2010, 08:06 PM
I would like to know what is behind all the time GJ got in the second half? 13 minutes, is that the most he played all year? That seems like a pretty strong signal to me.
GJ has indicated he wants to come in and take a game over all season long. Few figured hey, what the heck let him go for it.
Learn Team Play GJ

willandi
03-22-2010, 08:25 PM
is for GJ and Meech to spend the off season shooting threes, shagging for each other...500-600/day each. Let the better shooter win. They are a wash with speed, and by next year GJ will know the system better, so the better shooter will become the better PG.

Jedster
03-22-2010, 08:33 PM
He can't shoot, finish, or pass...just to keep it simple. He's an average pt guard, and should not be starting for a program like Gonzaga. Unless he makes huge improvements this offseason, GJ should start next fall

Because GJ has proven he can shoot, finish and pass? Seriously, I'm not here to defend Meech because he has a lot to work on, but just because option A is bad doesn't mean option B is automatically better. That kind of logic doesn't work. There is no evidence any of us have that GJ is better than Meech at this point to run this team. On the other hand, it is logical to assume that Few and the coaches have made the decision based on practice and other items that Meech gives this program the best opportunity to win each game.

Malstein brings up a good point about GJ being the pandora's box for this issue. Remember, the backup QB is always the most popular player on the team until you need him to play all the time and lead your team. Then it becomes obvious why he's the backup.

I look forward to a heated battle this fall to see who our point guard is next year. However, I will put my trust in Few and Co. that they are better evaluators of talent for GU than all of us combined.

Larrylegend
03-22-2010, 08:39 PM

Rautins scored 24 points, shot over 50% from thield and was 5-9 from 3-point land!

Boeheim was really struggling to find something positive to say about GU's performance.

MDABE80
03-22-2010, 09:01 PM
I think this thread is mean. Meech needs to fire up his Rotnei and learn to become a threat in his shooting. Coaches settle this stuff. GJ has speed. Meech is determined and he'll figure it out. No need to rub in certain deficiencies. You make yourself look bad doing it to this wonderful young kid.
No need to denigrate. Outrageous criticism of a kid who works his rear off. Blow this thread to bits.....just not fair to this kid, his parents (who do read this crap)..or to GJ. And yes he needs to improve...but criticism he gets from Few. He's paid to do that when required.

wazZag
03-22-2010, 09:02 PM
GJ is the pandora's box for the fans. He might bring hope, but he brings a lot of bad things as well that wouldn't be known unless that box is open. Better to keep that box closed until there's more inside than hope.

I agree. This reminds me of the common football saying that the backup quarterback is the most popular guy on campus. We really don't know with GJ, but I'm betting there is something more to it than blind loyalty. My bet is that he hasn't fully wrapped up the system. If you read this board, you will commonly read talk that first year point guards rarely get up to speed in the system. Frosh to Soph jump can be huge. Who knows.

Zagsker
03-22-2010, 10:43 PM
At the end of the day I really do want Meech to work out cause his hustle is something that should be recognized....but the numbers don't lie, he obviously needs to improve his shooting because that is the one area that severely limits not only himself but our team as an offensive Unit. He has a nice shot, from a technical pov, but the darn thing just does not drop

and btw...if you are going to drop negative rep and say some cold things atleast leave your name:D...I like to send X-MAS cards

Ezag
03-23-2010, 11:09 AM
At the end of the day I really do want Meech to work out cause his hustle is something that should be recognized....but the numbers don't lie, he obviously needs to improve his shooting because that is the one area that severely limits not only himself but our team as an offensive Unit. He has a nice shot, from a technical pov, but the darn thing just does not drop

and btw...if you are going to drop negative rep and say some cold things atleast leave your name:D...I like to send X-MAS cards

Unfortunately, other than the great drive and bucket to get us to the sweet 16 last year his shot hasn't been following for 2 years now.

ZagsObserver
03-23-2010, 06:36 PM
...and besides the shot, avg. 1.7 assists/game as a point guard is a very telling statistic.

1973Zag
03-24-2010, 05:38 AM
If the coaches were sold totally on Meech, or thought GJ,GG were the answer--- Why are they scanning the country for taller combo guards to be used ASAP? I think you look at JC players for IMMEDIATE help. JMO, but I bet the coaches have some idea as to what they are doing!

gamagin
03-24-2010, 07:21 AM
If the coaches were sold totally on Meech, or thought GJ,GG were the answer--- Why are they scanning the country for taller combo guards to be used ASAP? I think you look at JC players for IMMEDIATE help. JMO, but I bet the coaches have some idea as to what they are doing!

it was painfully clear that a taller guard was needed in many cases where mismatches were created underneath, with our short guard(s) suddenly finding themselves opposite their 6-11 forward or center, underneath, after being rotated into that positions in order to create and exploit just such a mismatch.

And it worked, like w/SMC. Over and over.