PDA

View Full Version : This 'N That

gamagin
03-21-2010, 05:33 PM
a twitter from MB before boarding plane to come home:

# Tough loss thanks for everything zag fans.
via UberTwitter

Elias Harris about the loss, "It sucks."

Tim Lewis, ending his broadcast from Buffalo, before he headed home:

(something like this) . . . that's it from Buffalo . . it remains to be seen whether . . .

Elias Harris will decide to stay another season, and

we'll likely see if Coach Few will take another look at the Oregon job.

gamagin
03-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Eh asked by a swx (ch 2 reporter, Spokane) if he will be back next year
A: "I'm not sure."

one of the announcers said near the end of the game that cuse was "playing their best game all season".

a cbs after-game report noted cuse set a school record with all those treys

special pop quiz for Meech detractors & haters as well as those just fed up, thinking we have no p.g.:

which Zag can be directly credited with 2 of our NCAA wins in the last two seasons ?

A. Meech (WVU and FSU). FSU a shakier claim, but few would disagree FSU tried to foul him and get back in the game at the end. Instead of folding, he shot 5-6 with a bum shoulder, too.

-more-

gamagin
03-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Boeheim in post game presser: "Goodson gave our shooter (name escapes) two inches the entire second half. Goodson played him really well. He let up two times slightly and our guy made two more threes. that's the way it went.

swx reporter from Buffalo on the three GU seniors

-- "Mb was stoic."
-- "P-Maag was very emotional that it was all over."
-- "Foster was a little angry that he didn't get to see the floor."

Q6 Spokane reporters with post game sound bites

RS, sitting in the Buffalo locker room -- (paraphrasing) "I feel we're going to come back next year hungry. Getting the younger players a little playing time today should help set that spark. They're going to have to work hard through the summer and I believe they will. "

SG: "It was good to see the younger players get in. I think they are going to return prepared and ready to step up."

GG: "It was good to get a little battle tested. Our future looks bright."

rawkmandale
03-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Thanks for these reports. I agree about the future looking bright. I love having the opportunity to take our shot every year. The Tournament doesn't owe us anything, we just owe it the best shot we can take. Some days the other team is better, but it certainly is nice to have the opportunity to test ourselves.

gamagin
03-22-2010, 11:26 AM
gu got hammered. washington is so much better than I thought.

the team everyone expected to go down early ? banged up purdue. Look at them now.

I don't remember ever seeing anything quite like these first two rounds. St. mary's is tough.

maineblackbear
03-22-2010, 11:53 AM
eh said "i'm not sure." ruh roh.

sure, i have heard dower is much improved, but no eh = problems.

any updates on this?

also--re boeheim.... i don't remember meech on the floor the second half--last 16 minutes anyway--what is he talking about?

gamagin
03-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Rome was interviewing Northern Iowa's Ben Jacobson about the history of the school and the program.

Jacobson said the attention on the team has been growing over the last year and now is red hot.

He went on to note the NI administration support has been good, the facilities are really good "and that wasn't the case 5-6 years ago. Now it is just great."

Jacobson then brought up something like, "our situation is now more like it is at Gonzaga or Butler." The interview then ended, but Rome went on.

said Rome: "If you can make a run year after year like Mark Few's Zags, reach a sweet 16 now and again and keep shooting for a final four, why would you leave a program for another?"

Rome then concluded: "Most coaches who leave a good deal for a seemingly better one wind up worse off. They can bank big money if they are lucky, but they usually wind up back in line trying to get back to where they were when they left in the first place."

krozman
03-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Everything every coach and player says within 48 hours of a loss (or win) is pure emotion. Not putting stock into anything, positive or negative.

gamagin
03-23-2010, 10:55 AM
re the Mid Major title (paraphrasing)

"Mark Few at Gonzaga has always hated the mid major title. And he's right, Gonzaga has a great program. I would add Butler to that list, too. And Saint Mary's.

"But Few is right. There shouldn't be labels attached to these programs -- like mid majors. They are all great programs and teams."

primal23
03-23-2010, 11:16 AM
In Tim Lewis' last GU blog, Will Foster went off on Few, and it kinda paints both of them badly. Man if EH and Few leave, next year would be LONG. If EH alone leaves, it will be a LONG year.

gamagin
03-23-2010, 12:26 PM
In Tim Lewis' last GU blog, Will Foster went off on Few, and it kinda paints both of them badly. Man if EH and Few leave, next year would be LONG. If EH alone leaves, it will be a LONG year.

got a link ? thanks

gamagin
03-23-2010, 12:32 PM
off Tim Lewis' website, still looking for Foster's take.

http://www.krem.com/sports/Elias-Harris-uncut--We-lost-our-concept-88772827.html

Pleasant Peninsula
03-23-2010, 12:46 PM
From the blog:

The locker room was a sad place after the game. I've never seen
Matt Bouldin so down. One of the greatest players to ever suit up for the Zags, Bouldin did not perform well in his final game. He was just 3-of-12 from the field, including 0-for-6 from three-point range. I was a little harsh on Bouldin on Twitter throughout the game (and I know I'm not the only one), but I realized how much that game really meant to him after I talked to him after the game. He just didn't seem to have much of a pulse during the game.

I really thought Mark Few would play senior Will Foster as a courtesy late in the game, especially because the game was out of reach early in the second half. Instead, Foster sat on the end of the bench and never saw the floor. I was confused why he was left on the bench so I asked Will why he thought he didn't play. This was his answer:

"Me and Coach Few have been butting heads, so that's probably why I didn't see the floor. I don't know why P-Maag (senior walk-on Chris Pontoralo-Maag) didn't. That's disrespectful to him. He's a senior that's thrown so much into this program."

Foster added a little bit more to the conversation, but I'd rather not pass along what he said (he's a college kid who got heated in the moment).

More at:

http://www.krem.com/sports/gonzaga-bulldogs/Gonzaga-Blog--88789202.html

gamagin
03-23-2010, 01:02 PM
this from the full interview, the last couple of minutes. why didn't we go back into the middle with a passion after jackson drew his third foul early, early in the first half ? EH earlier said he agreed about the exploitation in the middle and only said "we lost our concept." fwiw, I was beside myself that we didn't go right back to that oppportunity since it was working so well. I didn't know about Jackson's replacement. It only makes me wonder more.

A reporter asked this of Few:

"The guy who took Jackson's place had only played five minutes (for Cuse) since December. Why didn't you go back into the middle where you had had such success and take advantage ?

MF:

• We tried, but RS had two fouls himself
• It's not as easy as it looks. Cuse had a lotta long arms working to prevent that from continuing and we failed to get it in several times
• it was hard to get the ball in there because of all those things

I believe this will long be a continued point of contention. In retrospect, going back to that well was our only chance to stay in it longer, imo.

--
full at:
http://www.krem.com/sports/gonzaga-b...-88789202.html