PDA

View Full Version : Did we recruit Stephen Holt?

thespywhozaggedme
03-21-2010, 04:28 PM
St. Mary's lone recruit for next year is a stud pg from Jesuit High in Portland who turned down offers from Stanford and Cal amongst others to join the Gaels. Did we, Guard U go after him, when pg is our obvious glaring weakness, and he signs with SMC where 2 true freshman, Dellavadova and Page are ahead of him?

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=77419&season=2010&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d774 19%26season%3d2010

BobZag
03-21-2010, 05:52 PM
No.

(don't shoot the messenger)

thespywhozaggedme
03-21-2010, 05:57 PM
No.

(don't shoot the messenger)

Why not? He's got a 91 rating by ESPN, that equates to a 4* on scout or rivals. Still don't get why he committed with the Gaels when they have 2 very good true freshman pg's, where's he gonna get playing time? Meanwhile we need a true pg in the worst way, if we have to endure 4 on 5 again next season with 30-35 mpg of Meech, this board will implode.

SunDevilGolfZag
03-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Sounds like classic water under the bridge

BC1210is
03-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Yep, don't understand this one. Coming from Jesuit HS no less! I mentioned him on the board as a great prospect a couple years ago.

thespywhozaggedme
03-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Sounds like classic water under the bridge

Or.....discussions on a message board. My questions are valid; SMC has 2 outstanding freshman pg's, yet signs essentially a 4*, when we, Guard U, in dire need of a pg didn't even offer. i was just wondering if BZ, or anyone else, knew why.

nonzagzag
03-21-2010, 06:52 PM
my question would be, what kind of bigs will St Mary's have next year since Samhan and Allen will both be gone??

Also, whatever bigs they have for next year -- WHY DIDN'T WE GET THEM???
:mad: :mad: :mad:

:)

thespywhozaggedme
03-21-2010, 07:05 PM
my question would be, what kind of bigs will St Mary's have next year since Samhan and Allen will both be gone??

:mad: :mad:

Let's make a trade: Meech and Sammy for Dellavadova :D

BC1210is
03-21-2010, 07:07 PM

:mad: :mad: :mad:

ha, I posted a very similar question at about the same time on the other thread.

Still want to no our reason for not going after Holt. My only guess is attitude issues. I have some knowledge of his HS program and I heard this was a little bit of an issue when he was younger, not sure if it has improved.

kclubfounder
03-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Mark my words. Meech will be fine. Experience is more important at the point guard position than anywhere else. Next year he will be one year older, wiser, and better.

MickMick
03-21-2010, 07:15 PM
:explode: :explode: :explode: :explode:

BC1210is
03-21-2010, 07:17 PM
Mark my words. Meech will be fine. Experience is more important at the point guard position than anywhere else. Next year he will be one year older, wiser, and better.

Not going to agree with you on this one. He is almost Pargo junior but in my opion not as good and he did not lead us past the Sweet 16 with very good cast around him. But, yes he will improve, and is a decent point, we need a superstar if we want a FF.

Booster
03-21-2010, 07:23 PM
No question Holt is a solid D1 prospect. I watched him play throughout his h.s. years. 6'4" and might have another inch or two in him. Good handle, excellent vision, solid defense, and goes strong to the hole. Even through his senior season, he did not have a solid outside shot (though the team did not necessarily rely on that part of his game). Best of luck to him at SMC.

kclubfounder
03-21-2010, 07:24 PM
If Meech has a solid Junior year and a great senior year, which I predict, then I wish there was a way I could take all you doubters to dinner. It would be enjoyable to watch you eat a nice plate of crow, with fava beans and a nice chianti.

NEC26
03-21-2010, 07:32 PM
If Meech has a solid Junior year and a great senior year, which I predict, then I wish there was a way I could take all you doubters to dinner. It would be enjoyable to watch you eat a nice plate of crow, with fava beans and a nice chianti.

I do not at all doubt that Meech can have a solid year(I guess thats entirely subjective though). However if we want to do anything truly special (elite eight final four) we have got to have a point guard with good vision that can feed the post and hit jumpers Meech has not shown any of those ability's as yet. We simply will not have anyone with the possible exception of Gray to run the offense next year because with Meeches height he is simply not able to get any passes inside at all. I see the same thing with IT with UW but he can hit jumpers and drive and finish which Meech has not shown an ability to do except on fast breaks.

surfmonkey89
03-21-2010, 07:32 PM
If Meech has a solid Junior year and a great senior year, which I predict.

Do you want to risk being wrong about this?

I don't.

BC1210is
03-21-2010, 07:34 PM

I would love to have that meal with you! That would mean the Zags would reach the FF at Meech at the point. I don't think it will happen, you do. This topic has been beaten to death. Lets talk about the thread title which is why didn't we recruit Holt? Attitude? We didn't want him? He didn't like GU? (doubtful, but possible)

thespywhozaggedme
03-21-2010, 07:50 PM

Not one thing on the court indicates any of that to be true. If he's getting 30-35 mpg, we're doomed. He is a 10-12 mpg off the bench change of pace player on a high major.

thespywhozaggedme
03-21-2010, 07:54 PM

You do realize that he has one of the worst assist/t.o ratio in all of D1, correct? You do realize that SU was literally leaving him wide open, daring him to shoot, knowing that he can't, correct? You do realize that he has zero court vision, never seeing an open guy down low, content to swing the ball around the perimeter, correct? His back up, who might not even be here next year, looks so much better as a true pg, it's plain as the nose on anyones face. We are a high major, we really, really need a high major pg.

BC1210is
03-21-2010, 08:05 PM
You do realize that he has one of the worst assist/t.o ratio in all of D1, correct? You do realize that SU was literally leaving him wide open, daring him to shoot, knowing that he can't, correct? You do realize that he has zero court vision, never seeing an open guy down low, content to swing the ball around the perimeter, correct? His back up, who might not even be here next year, looks so much better as a true pg, it's plain as the nose on anyones face. We are a high major, we really, really need a high major pg.

Nope, he doesn't realize that, he was too drunk to see what most people have noticed all year long.

Ezag
03-21-2010, 08:37 PM
We are in serious need of point guard. Meech will not be able to take us to the next level. I doubt he can even keep us at this level. He is not capable of being an effective point guard. He is not even half as good a Pargo was his sophomore year. This is not NEW news. Most of us have known this and have been saying it all year. Meech has had maybe 2-3 good games out of 32. Bouldin, on the other hand, has had maybe 2-3 bad games out of 32.

I just hope GJ gets a shot and Grant Gibbs is as good as everyone says he is (haven't seen him enough to make that determination yet)

bigblahla
03-22-2010, 05:41 AM

Frankly, his offensive output is ridiculous but more important is HE CAN'T MAKE AN ENTRY PASS TO THE POST. Waaayyy to many times Rob & Elias have flashed open this year and begged for the ball. Dribble ,dribble dribble, Meech is playing his way off the court. The majority on this board sees it and if you don't think coach and staff don't know then why are they trying try to recruit a JUCO point for next year with KD on board in 2011?

Look at the guard tandems in the WCC next year. We''l be lucky to be third behind LMU & SMC and with Foster back at SCU we might be fourth and that is a fair assessment.

Go!! Zags!!!

Larrylegend
03-22-2010, 09:34 AM
This from ESPN on Stephen Holt: Holt is developing into the No. 1 point guard prospect out west for the class of 2010. He has ideal size, strength, speed, and quickness to play at the highest level. Most importantly, he is a true point guard who gets his teammates involved and he's fundamentally sound.

Brad Tinsley from Oregon City:
Tinsley wanted to be a Zag. The Zag staff didn't want Tinsley. He chose Vanderbilt over Utah, Oregon, Wake Forest, Butler, Colorado and North Carolina.

Joe Harris from Chelan:
"He's multidimensional," said Brad Wilson, head coach at Lake Roosevelt High. "He can shoot it, drive it and pass it. He can defend and rebound. He's the whole package. I asked some of the old-timers who have been around a long time, going back to the '70s, and they said he was probably the best player in league history."

dim4sum
03-22-2010, 05:07 PM
So some think our weakness is point guard. Does Mark Few know that? I think not--the starting five was rigidly inflexible for 34 games. I think Few has to temper his search for athleticism with a little more searching for fundamentally sound guys who are an alter ego of the coach on the floor. Meech is not that guy.

maynard g krebs
03-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Holt will be every bit the college player that Gray is IMO, different but as good. Can't tell everything from a couple games on tv, but he very much looked to be the leader of a very good Jesuit team- vision, understanding, pretty good shooter and unselfish. He'll fit in perfectly w/ what St. Mary's is doing now.

Would have loved to see him as a Zag. But, Zags need a high level rival, so it's good to see players like him in the league.

BC1210is
03-22-2010, 07:42 PM
I'm pretty sure that Coach Few will look to thespywhozagged me as his next assistant once one of the staff decides to take the head role somewhere else. Either that, or perhaps Krause will decide he should just be the head coach.

C'mon Mal, he brought up a valid point he didn't say he should be coach and knows more than Few or Krause. He sees the same weakness everyone else sees including our staff, we need another PG to step up next year. His simple question was, why didn't we recruit this player who looks like a solid PG who might have been able to help us.
Now I asked a couple people about Holt, and it sounds like their are some good reasons Few and co were not really high on him. He is not a dead-eye shooter like we need and he might not have had the GU attitude needed. I trust Few and Tommy when it comes to recruiting. I just don't always trust our staff in close in-games situations against coach K or Jimmy B. Most others would get out-coached too though. I just hope we find the PG for next year whoever it is.