• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1973Zag
    Kennel Club
    • Feb 2007

Scheduling Ques.

All year we bragged about our Anyone,Anywhere scheduling. We also ripped the Huskies and Gaels about not being tourn. worthy or prepared. Right now, they appear healthy and hitting their stride---We look exhausted and beat up (Not just today, but last several games) Do we need to keep "proving ourselves" with a killer schedule, or possibly ease up a bit until March. Any opinions?
  • SUSpokanative
    Redshirt
    • Feb 2009

No Emotion

You may be correct. I didn't see much enthusiasm before the blowout, either from players or coaches. No diving for loose balls - won't mention names it was obvious. Don't know if it is related to long season or something else. With a team of Syracuse caliber, you'd better bring it in other ways. Standing around not playing defense and otherwise not moving at a fast pace isn't going to get it done! I would not want to see this group play either SMC or UW now. Lot's of questions for future - where will some of our coaches be heading and can we recruit good guards to Spokane?

Comment

• EngineerZag
      Kennel Club Alum
      • Feb 2007

We wouldn't have even made the tournament this year if we hadn't scheduled the way we did.

Comment

• bartruff1
        Zag for Life
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by EngineerZag View Post
        We wouldn't have even made the tournament this year if we hadn't scheduled the way we did.
        Couldn't agree more...that and some favorable history...

Comment

• zagfan1
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2007

Look at the Big East Teams. They really get banged up playing against each other. Gonzaga had it easier and should have been healthier.

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2008

SMC ended up being the better team at the end of this season.

Udb would kill the Zags if they played today.

And I don't like SMC or the Huskies.
            "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• zag67
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2007

Also UW and SMC would not have made it if they had lost the tournament.

Comment

• vandalzag
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Well whoever scheduled Syracuse today should be fired. Do we at least get a return game?

Comment

• Chicken Ball
                  Kennel Club
                  • Feb 2007

Schedule strength

Biggest myth of the season: GU played a tough schedule. It was #118 in rpi, and 112 in Kenpom's system. We played a mediocre schedule. Even our nonconference schedule was only 36th (Kenpom).

Comment

• NEC26
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Chicken Ball View Post
                    Biggest myth of the season: GU played a tough schedule. It was #118 in rpi, and 112 in Kenpom's system. We played a mediocre schedule. Even our nonconference schedule was only 36th (Kenpom).
                    We did play a tough schedule but when you throw in some really terrible teams it drags your strength of schedule way down. Throw out a couple truly awful teams we played this year and that sos would be far higher.

Comment

• HOOTER
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by zag67 View Post
                      Also UW and SMC would not have made it if they had lost the tournament.
                      True. Their schedule had nothing to do with it. They managed to get an automatic bid in mediocre conferences and got double-digit seeds as a result. Gonzaga needs to continue to play a decent schedule and figure out how to finish strong at the same time. That's what big time programs do.

Comment

• GUDan07
                        Kennel Club
                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by EngineerZag View Post
                        My initial reaction was to completely agree. However, my only contention with this is that given we had more energy at the end we may not have lost to St. Mary's.

Comment

• Zag4Hire
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2007

Good Topic

I was thinking about it but the way I see it is this: Gonzaga along with a handful of other mid-major schools like Xavier and Butler have built their programs to receive prime TV exposure. Not many schools outside the big 6 are guaranteed to have as many games on ESPN, CBS, etc. This is a great recruiting tool and also garners exposure for a program based on the West Coast that allows coaches, sports writers, etc. on the East Coast to observe. Such games as The Maui Classic Championship vs UConn and the win against UNC at MSG. Think about it--George Mason is not far removed from its Final Four appearance and the reference to George Mason almost seems anecdotal. It is difficult to maintain excellence over the course of time. Few and his coaches have done a great job and they have built up their reputation by competing against big time programs with an 'anywhere, anytime' mentality. The only reason to somewhat knock it this year is that the team is so young and Few had to depend so mightily on Bouldin and Gray that they played an obscene about a minutes. The teams of the past couple of years did not seemed gassed in the end so I would take it more as an isolated incident. If history also proves anything, we need to schedule a strong OOC for these young pups but not put them through the ringer like a few years back. Somewhere in the middle sounds about right.
                          IF YOU WANT A THING DONE WELL, DO IT YOURSELF. -NAPOLEON BONAPARTE

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Chicken Ball View Post
                            Part of the slippage in the OOC was due to the fact that only Duke and Wisconsin improved as the season wore on. MSU, Memphis, Oklahoma, Cincinnati, etc. all fell in the rankings. At the time, I thought the OU victory was a great win for the Zags. Turned out to be not much more than beating Portland at home.

The issue of scheduling will be resolved if/when the NCAA expands to 96 teams. Once that happens, there will be little or no need to load up the OOC schedule. I abhor the thought of the 96 team NCAA tournament.

Comment

• Zag4Hire
                              Zag for Life
                              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                              The issue of scheduling will be resolved if/when the NCAA expands to 96 teams. Once that happens, there will be little or no need to load up the OOC schedule. I abhor the thought of the 96 team NCAA tournament.
                              Oh my. If it did, I would get absolutely nothing done for about a month. The house might look abandoned.
                              IF YOU WANT A THING DONE WELL, DO IT YOURSELF. -NAPOLEON BONAPARTE

Comment

Working...
                              X