PDA

View Full Version : Some post game thoughts and musings on next season

thespywhozaggedme
03-21-2010, 01:25 PM
We have been known as Guard U for quite some time; having great guard play with dead eye shooters, and scrappy overachieving bigs; now and for the last few years, the opposite has occurred; spotty inconsistent shooting, a pg with absolutely zero court vision, and zero scoring ability, but "elite" level bigs, both Rob and Elias play for their national teams and will be in the NBA. I don't know why it's so hard for us to find that dead eye 3 point shooter that we use to have in droves. Also, if GJ is forced out of the program in favor of Meech, I will be extremely disappointed; I don't like to bad mouth players, but suffice it to say that I think Meech is better served as an 8-10 minute change of pace off the bench guard, not the starter for a high major program; next season is gonna be a disaster if he's getting 30-35 mpg, with no Matt to hide his flaws. Who is going to consistently score for us in the backcourt, other than SG?

Next year, in all honesty is the biggest question mark for me in the 14 years I've been a die hard. I dunno, I honestly don't know. :confused:

skan72
03-21-2010, 03:01 PM
GJ is being pushed out of the program? Where has this come from?? Please explain. I'm in the dark.

thespywhozaggedme
03-21-2010, 03:09 PM
My biggest surprises this year were:

1. GU got to the Dance and won a game in what was a rebuilding year

2. Harris, what a stud

3. Meech, what a disappointment

4. Sacre, I never thought he would be an impact player

I'm pretty much in agreement with all of those points.

Nevtelen
03-21-2010, 03:14 PM
One huge positive at the end of the season: Sacre was playing some of his best ball late in the year. He still has room to improve, no question, but has really matured his game past the 'wall' he hit mid-season.

NEC26
03-21-2010, 03:21 PM
We will be a very solid team next year even without any addition in the offseason. Think about it our interior will be loaded with Sacre, Harris, Kelly, and Dower. Our off guard situation is good as well with Steven, Arop, and Kong as well as GG but if we are going to really excel next year we need someone to step up at point. Does Meech step up and work on his shot and develop better court vision? Is GJ the answer at point? If he is why no playing time this year? If Meech truly was our best and only option at point I really hope we get a juco point guard this year. Its the only missing link on this team that I think could contend for a final four run.

thespywhozaggedme
03-21-2010, 03:37 PM
We will be a very solid team next year even without any addition in the offseason. Think about it our interior will be loaded with Sacre, Harris, Kelly, and Dower. Our off guard situation is good as well with Steven, Arop, and Kong as well as GG but if we are going to really excel next year we need someone to step up at point. Does Meech step up and work on his shot and develop better court vision? Is GJ the answer at point? If he is why no playing time this year? If Meech truly was our best and only option at point I really hope we get a juco point guard this year. Its the only missing link on this team that I think could contend for a final four run.

I am the eternal optimist, but I really disagree with you. Other than Elias and Rob, everything else is one big ? and that includes Steven. Too often, his concentration seems to lapse as evidenced by all of his t.o.'s today; if we had a scoring pg, that might alleviate some of the pressure on SG, but just like today, no defense in America is going to guard Meech, which results in a constant doubling of Steven.

I do think Manny and Bol are capable of stepping up, but they're both big enigmas right now. As the consensus seems to agree, if Meech is getting 30-35 mpg next season, we're in big trouble. Does everyone realize that he had one of the worst asst/t.o ratios in all of D1A this past season?

With Rob, Elias, Sam and Kelly we're stacked at the 4 and 5 next year, the back court is the exact opposite. hey, can we make a trade with St. Mary's; they'll have the exact opposite problem. :D

NEC26
03-21-2010, 03:41 PM
I am the eternal optimist, but I really disagree with you. Other than Elias and Rob, everything else is one big ? and that includes Steven. Too often, his concentration seems to lapse as evidenced by all of his t.o.'s today; if we had a scoring pg, that might alleviate some of the pressure on SG, but just like today, no defense in America is going to guard Meech, which results in a constant doubling of Steven.

I do think Manny and Bol are capable of stepping up, but they're both big enigmas right now. As the consensus seems to agree, if Meech is getting 30-35 mpg next season, we're in big trouble. Does everyone realize that he had one of the worst asst/t.o ratios in all of D1A this past season?

With Rob, Elias, Sam and Kelly we're stacked at the 4 and 5 next year, the back court is the exact opposite. hey, can we make a trade with St. Mary's; they'll have the exact opposite problem. :D

I really believe Manny Arop will make a big step up next year. Not so sure about Kong but he is capable. GG with a little imrpovement on defense will be a solid bench guy who I think will get 10 18 minutes a game as well so I really think our only weak spot is a point guard. This offseason will be real interesting to see what transpires.

thespywhozaggedme
03-21-2010, 03:50 PM
I really believe Manny Arop will make a big step up next year. Not so sure about Kong but he is capable. GG with a little imrpovement on defense will be a solid bench guy who I think will get 10 18 minutes a game as well so I really think our only weak spot is a point guard. This offseason will be real interesting to see what transpires.

Agreed.

thespywhozaggedme
03-21-2010, 05:22 PM
Bell, Dragonnis and Pangos can't get here quick enough.

We only have 1 committed; and sadly our main competition for Pangos is MSU and the team that destroyed us today.

U Zig, I Zag
03-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Gray will step up in his role as team leader. Like Matt this year, opposing teams will key on him and the load for scoring will have to come from someplace else. Gray is not the gunner I thought he was going to be but he has expanded his game on so many other levels that it might not matter. Steven has the body to play at the next level. He needs to prove he deserves it by becoming a great leader.

Rob has a ton of work to do. His intensity caught on, rather late in the season but I liked it. He needs to work on soft hands and quick feet. He needs 4 moves on the offensive end, at least. He works hard in the paint to get open and the guards don't always get it to him but he only has the 1 move anyway. He needs to watch tape on some ahem, Samhan, ahem to learn out to use your guy to your advantage and get open. Omar's best attribute is his ability to get open, he is very sly about it.

Elias needs to move to the 3 more and work on dribble drives and pull-ups from 7-8 feet out. He is League material but he is not going to be playing the 4 in the NBA or Europe (well, maybe Euro). His D needs some work but he knows that. I don't think he leaves this year. Wouldn't surprise me if he stayed for two more. He seems strong but strength training wouldn't hurt him at all.

Meech is going to need to develop some kind of shot to make teams honest. 4 on 5 on the offensive end was killing us. Pargo would have went into that zone today time after time and pulled up for J's. Might not have all fallen but he wouldn't have waited for Few to get that going in the 2nd half like we did - he would have taken it to them. He was fearless. Meech needs to improve a lot if he doesn't....

GJ needs to play more. 50/50 with Meech at PG, at least. UW brings Overton in for a D punch and will play Thomas and Overton at the same time often. Swinging Gray to the 3, slide Elias/Manny to the 4 and run Rob/Kelly/Sam in the middle for 6-7 minute spurts of fast paced ball against smaller teams. I see GJ being big part of the team if he stays around ( I think he leaves, he has to be disappointed somewhat with his playing time). If he leaves I hope he stays WCC so I can feel a little sting every time he scores on us.

Kelly needs to find his role. Not sure what it is going to be 3/4 sometimes 5 in a pinch? He works hard but he plays soft and a little timid. To me, he looked like did at the beginning of the season as he did late. Not a great sign, but again - he is young. Does he not like playing down low? I know he played PG at times in HS, but does he really not like posting up or banging? Anyone know?

Manny is a dynamo. Bottled lightening. We missed him the last 3 games. If he makes improvements like he did throughout the season we are going to have a star on our hands. Heal that foot and work on the confidence and ball handling. Super stud.

GG/Kong. Not sold on either. A JUCO with some wisdom and confidence could steal minutes from those two in a heartbeat. Kong is either, incredibly scared/timid, or just does not move that fast. His lack of speed amazed me. Whatever Tim Tebow is doing to shorten his release time, Kong needs to go to the same trainer. GG has physical limitations, same as Matt with the lateral quickness, etc. Matt got better and stronger. GG has a better stroke from deep, IMHO, and if he can add the strength and quickness he might be alright.

Sam... hoping for big things. Not sure what he brings to the table but excited to see it.

Coaching staff... hope we don't lose too many at once. I bet Few looks hard at the OU job.

We need new offensive and defensive sets. Let's get creative. If we have the personnel lets try the 'Cuse zone at times. There were times that I could swear we weren't trying to run anything on offense?? I am impressed by the level of trust that other teams show amongst players. Yah, go to the hoop - if the shot isn't there I will be where I am supposed to be for the pass. WE DON'T DO THAT. Why??? We are out of sync a good portion of the time. When someone looked for the last second dish it always seems to fly out of bounds or bobbled off of someone's hands into the opposing players hands. I really can't recall a time this season where we had a good 3,4 player transition game or set of passes that just looked scripted - like everyone was on the same page. St. Mary's did it 8 times against 'Nova. I know we are young, etc... but come Feb/March these guys have played a TON of basketball together. I hope another year of familiarity will bring better things.

I say we fill at least 1 of the 3 schollies that are open. We need a JUCO, a gunner from deep - a 40%+ type kid. Rautins came flying off a screen several times and I swear he wasn't even looking at the rim, he caught the ball, elevated, squared up and drilled it. It was beautiful. We need that kind of confidence.

Gonna miss you Matt, Will and P-Maag. You guys exceeded everyone's expectations this season and hit a SU juggernaut at the end. You fought valiantly.

The burden is on Steven's shoulders now - time to rise up!

Larrylegend
03-21-2010, 05:39 PM
We only have 1 committed; and sadly our main competition for Pangos is MSU and the team that destroyed us today.

Understand. Without a great or even good point guard, Gonzaga is likely to suffer another another early out next year. Am hopeful for a transfer, JC or overseas PG coming in during the off season.

Birddog
03-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Am hopeful for a transfer, JC or overseas PG coming in during the off season.
A transfer would not likely help as in most cases they have to sit out a year.

thespywhozaggedme
03-21-2010, 06:01 PM
A transfer would not likely help as in most cases they have to sit out a year.

I think he meant a juco transfer.

ZagHouse
03-21-2010, 06:19 PM
I think if Manny would not have gotten hurt, we would have competed a bit better. If you watched Meech (sore shoulder and all) he was having a difficult time fighting through screens and just didn't have the length to contest some of their shooters. Manny would have given us one more athlete and long body on the floor that could have helped rebound on some of our misses and also contributed from behind the arc. I think we still lose, but it would have been closer. That being said, next year looks like it could be fun. I just wish some of those with unrealistic expectations would take a step back and look at what this team accomplished after losing four starters. Last year we didn't beat NC and this year we lost to Syracuse (I know people will say it's how we lost) but get some perspective.

fedwayzag
03-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Is our point guard answer Stockton? Who knows!!!

hooter73
03-21-2010, 06:25 PM
its all about the off season now. I wish we would get reports form the camps. The bigs need work and will do the work. I hope Bol and Manny and Grant get into some real good camps and shoot their butts off in the gym. I hope Mooch and GJ both get some point guard work in the off season but man you saw it today that GJ just has a more offensively minded game. Not that that is what is always needed but if those two could work together to complement each other I'd be happy.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-22-2010, 03:10 AM
I think if Manny would not have gotten hurt, we would have competed a bit better. If you watched Meech (sore shoulder and all) he was having a difficult time fighting through screens and just didn't have the length to contest some of their shooters. Manny would have given us one more athlete and long body on the floor that could have helped rebound on some of our misses and also contributed from behind the arc. I think we still lose, but it would have been closer. That being said, next year looks like it could be fun. I just wish some of those with unrealistic expectations would take a step back and look at what this team accomplished after losing four starters. Last year we didn't beat NC and this year we lost to Syracuse (I know people will say it's how we lost) but get some perspective.

We really could have used Arop against Syracuse. Part of the reason that they enjoyed such a field day from long range was that their taller guards were able to shoot right over Meech. Manny is a good 6-7 inches taller than Goodson with a lot more length to bother those outside shooters. Hopefully, he returns from those injuries early enough to really build on his skill set for next season. He needs to improve his outside shot and his ball-handling to replace some of what we will lose with Bouldin's graduation. If he can become a more credible offensive threat, he will be a great player. I can easily see him earn a WCC Defender of the Year award in a couple of years.

Hoopaholic
03-22-2010, 09:11 AM
I have to be honest but this is what frustrates me about this forum at times...

I see time and time again a single players name being bantered about as the reason why Syracuse beat us.......

I watched Cuse SHOOT OVER EVERYONE...why do we feel the need to point out single person......dont think Meech was guarding Johnson when he shot time and time again over Harris and light Harris up for 31 points

I dont understand this to be honest...