PDA

View Full Version : Season Summary

krozman
03-21-2010, 01:21 PM
I came into this year having very low expectations. Gonzaga outperformed in the early going, and tripped up some in the late season. On the whole, however, I am very satisfied and would not have realistically expected a better result. Plenty of questions, critcisms and comments, but lets remember that our streak is still alive, our team is very young, and next year will have new and exciting challenges.:o

23dpg
03-21-2010, 01:24 PM
I came into this year having very low expectations. Gonzaga outperformed in the early going, and tripped up some in the late season. On the whole, however, I am very satisfied and would not have realistically expected a better result. Plenty of questions, critcisms and comments, but lets remember that our streak is still alive, our team is very young, and next year will have new and exciting challenges.:o

+1

I completely agree. I also think that next year is THE year. We will miss Matt, but most of the team is coming back.....very few teams will be as experienced as GU next year.

Birddog
03-21-2010, 02:41 PM
I completely agree. I also think that next year is THE year. We will miss Matt, but most of the team is coming back.....very few teams will be as experienced as GU next year.

I just don't see it this way. The Zags will be sorely lacking a true PG with experience. A bringer upper who plays defense is not a PG. I don't see Gray replacing Matt, he has other skills. Unless there is drastic improvement at the PG spot, the Zags will suffer. I like Meech, but he is going to have to make a dramatic improvement to play PG without Bouldin on the floor. It's possible that either Vilarino or Gibbs could emerge but I don't see it now. I hope I'm wrong.

I'd be happier if Sacre went to Pete Newell's Big Man Camp than I am with him playing with the Nat'l team. Rob has improved immensely, but he has a lot more potential. Right now he has about 25% of the offensive skills of Samhan, although much more upside, and he's a better defender.

Either Kong, Arop, Harris, Olynyk, or Dower has to emerge as a 3 ball threat, preferably more than one of them. The Zags will be challenged to overcome a very good St Mary's next year, esp if they find a big guy to replace Samhan. They have a ton of experience returning and their guard play is terrific. I'd say the Zags best shot is 2 years off looking at the talent there now and in the pipeline. Maybe a Euro point guard will make a sudden appearance and all will be roses next year.