PDA

View Full Version : Guard Play

FlagZag
03-21-2010, 11:16 AM
First of all I'm very happy with the season as a whole. Very proud of our team! Our Bigs outplayed theirs today. The guard play was just not good enough.
Meech= No 2 pointers, no 3 pointers, no free throws, no rebounds and no steals with only 2 assists.
Matty B= an off day with no 3 pointers and 3 baskets.
Don't even look at the 'Cuse guard play. Just one of them had 26 pts
I know Meech is a fan favorite and he brings the ball up well but 'Cuse doesn't pressure in the back court so anybody can dribble up 40 ft. and hand off to another player. Sorry, I just don't get it.
In the, what seems like forever off season, I sure hope Coach recruits to shoot. I hope Meech gets in some serious time on his shooting and GJ and GG reach for the potential they have shown.
Great season Zags!

Seattle_Zag
03-21-2010, 11:29 AM
I know Meech is a fan favorite

Uhhhhh.....not the last time I checked. Is there a different message board I should be reading?

MickMick
03-21-2010, 11:37 AM
From the looks of the second half, Vilarino appears to be our new starter.

FlagZag
03-21-2010, 11:53 AM
I didn't mean to bash Meech. Coach obviously has faith in him. I had hoped to spark a discussion on our guard play, possible recruits and my hope simply for a point guard who sees the floor, handles the ball, scores about 10-15 points a game and dishes for 8 assists. Not too much to ask for. Maybe that guy is Meech. I will admit that bringing this up now is maybe premature. But put it on the agenda in a couple months. Again, great season-great players-great fans!

1973Zag
03-21-2010, 01:10 PM
agree Flag. Meech gives it 110% at all times, just don't think it is good enough to get us to where we want to be. On top 10-15 teams,short PG's just don't make it unless they are above average shooters(including 3's and FT's) Don't think Meech could ever practice enough to be a DDD-Step-etc. If not addressed, I (just my opinion) think PG will be our Achilles heel next season.

zag67
03-21-2010, 01:18 PM
I think that the play of Vilarino was done to send a message to Meech. Both of them need alot of work to imrove their play. Meech needs to work on his shot and passing the ball in traffic. V. needs to improve his defense and his control during transition. Hopefuly that will challenge both of them to work harder to prepare for next year.
I also believe that they will be looking for a combo guard that is a very good 3 point shooter (probably a JUCO). This person would transition into Steven's replacement the following year.

1973Zag
03-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Hope your right on that 'Combo' 67