PDA

View Full Version : Bad form by Few

GUDan07
03-21-2010, 11:24 AM
How does Will Foster not make it into the game in the final contest of his career? I can understand if it was close and you keep him out but give me a break. Short of him being in a wheel chair there is no reason for him to not get into a game that was over at the start of the second half.

GorgeZag
03-21-2010, 11:31 AM
Totally agree. How could you not, or not want to play him for at least one minute.

wetside fan
03-21-2010, 11:34 AM
The reason is Mark Few is a JACKASS! He has never liked Will and he was sending him a message on his way out.
I know its harsh, but sometimes the truth hurts a little.

MJ777
03-21-2010, 11:35 AM
He should have played sometime during the 40 minutes. Will was at the end of the bench, maybe Few didn't see him and forgot he had a 7' 5" Sr who was playing in his last game. :confused:

mtzaga
03-21-2010, 11:39 AM
Foster should have gotten some minutes.

misszigzag
03-21-2010, 11:40 AM
Will earned the right to be on the floor for a few minutes for the last game of his college career. :(

maynard g krebs
03-21-2010, 11:41 AM
On the surface this seems really strange, but we shouldn't draw conclusions without knowing what's going on behind the scenes.

kitzbuel
03-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Will has worked hard this year to get meaningful minutes. He no longer got minutes at the end of blowouts along with the walkons. He earned and got meaningful minutes. Why would he want to change that in the last game of the season and take some 'charity' minutes?

Radbooks
03-21-2010, 11:47 AM
You know guys, maybe Will didn't want to play there at the end of the game in a blow-out loss even if it was the last game of his career. I know that when my brothers played ball, they hated being put in like that. Going in for a minute or so so a 'star' player could get applause. Maybe Will was asked and he declined... who knows? But I doubt it was some sort of evil plan.

RenoZag
03-21-2010, 11:51 AM
He has never liked Will. . .

:lmao:

Right. That's why he was on the team for 4 seasons.

MJ777
03-21-2010, 11:52 AM
You know guys, maybe Will didn't want to play there at the end of the game in a blow-out loss even if it was the last game of his career. I know that when my brothers played ball, they hated being put in like that. Going in for a minute or so so a 'star' player could get applause. Maybe Will was asked and he declined... who knows? But I doubt it was some sort of evil plan.

You may be on to something there Radbooks. Wish Few would have played him in 1st half or early in the 2nd to try to change things up. I hope there was no ill intentions in him not playing, and I hope he was not suspended for doing something inappropriate. Good Luck to Will. Go play ball or go make some beer.

NovaZag
03-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Few should've found a way to work him in the rotation. What did he have to lose once we were down by 30?

ZagLawGrad
03-21-2010, 11:54 AM
Not going to second guess Coach on this one. Will is a heckuva nice guy, but was not a good college basketball player. Hard to hear and say, but it's true.

kingzag
03-21-2010, 11:56 AM
The team was doing fine without Will. Why mess with Fews rotation. NOT.

wetside fan
03-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Some know more of what goes on behind the scenes than you may realise.
Also, Few is not the only one who decides who stays on the team. If you recall he didn't want to keep Josh and Theo around after they had the "incedent". He was told that they were to stay.

zagdad
03-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Few is a great coach and a sensitive person. Maybe Will wasn't feeling good, or maybe he didn't want to go in at the end just to have an appearance. Few is a great coach and he usually has good reasons for his decisions. Gonzaga is lucky to have a coach like Few.

doctorzag
03-21-2010, 11:59 AM
How dare anyone question Few on this board.

billyberu
03-21-2010, 12:02 PM
Nothing like a loss to bring the cockroaches out.

MDABE80
03-21-2010, 12:12 PM
Cmon you diehards...Will should have gotten some time out there in his last game...considering the game was a total blowout...Unless, of course, he declined or was sick...

Zag2000
03-21-2010, 12:12 PM
The team was doing fine without Will. Why mess with Fews rotation. NOT.

Few has a rotation? Looks like the same 5 guys play all the time, except for the occasional breather.

Did anyone catch the announcers statistic that in the last 10 games the Zags have been outscored in the second half? Not utilizing the whole team and not having a rotation causes tired guys in the second half. Will is a great way to mix things up. Yes he is not very good, but 7'5" always causes the other team to switch things up.

john montana
03-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Regarding foster; I will never understand why some people see him as the answer. He is just not that good folks.

But, he should have gotten some minutes in his last game.

CB4
03-21-2010, 12:36 PM
No wanting to lose by more than 20 points could be a big reason too. Being humuliated does not help a young team.

Will foster getting respect and a couple minutes to end his basketball career is more important than saving face.

Bogozags
03-21-2010, 12:48 PM

Right. That's why he was on the team for 4 seasons.

I agree! Coach Few doesn't have a "grude" against any of his players...it would hurt his recruiting as players would talk...

Not sure Will would have been the fit for this game...

Coach was just using those last few minutes as a practice session. I believe he was letting his future AA center get as much time as he could playing against this level of competition. Just MHO...

kjstoph1
03-21-2010, 01:13 PM
Cmon you diehards...Will should have gotten some time out there in his last game...considering the game was a total blowout...Unless, of course, he declined or was sick...

Fitz never would have disrespected his seniors like that.

Oregon Zag
03-21-2010, 01:38 PM
"TLKREM2

I asked Foster why he didn't play and he admitted that he and Few have been "butting heads lately." He was more upset P-Maag didn't play."

wetside fan
03-21-2010, 01:43 PM
"TLKREM2

I asked Foster why he didn't play and he admitted that he and Few have been "butting heads lately." He was more upset P-Maag didn't play."

Told ya so!

MDABE80
03-21-2010, 01:49 PM
Sometimes..it's the little things...forgiveness comes to mind...that show some class... KJ..you're very right...and so it goes....

"Wait till next year!!"..:)

TexasZagFan
03-21-2010, 01:51 PM
I agree! Coach Few doesn't have a "grude" against any of his players...it would hurt his recruiting as players would talk...

Not sure Will would have been the fit for this game...

Coach was just using those last few minutes as a practice session. I believe he was letting his future AA center get as much time as he could playing against this level of competition. Just MHO...

+1. Don't underestimate the value of the minutes of an NCAA tournament game. There's a big difference between the Kennel and 20,000 screaming Syracuse fans 3000 miles from home. KO, GJ, and even Bol will benefit from the experience. Rob & Elias are already studs away from home...this loss will give them a reason to work even harder in the off season.

I have no problem with Few's decision. The final home game was set up to recognize the seniors, and I hope that tradition continues.

Stache
03-21-2010, 01:51 PM
I've been the main scorer on some teams and the 9th man others. I don't know Will Foster and he may be a very nice young man, but his body language always suggested to me that he was an attitude problem. His perception of his abilities didn't seem consistent with reality. Whether he was fully involved at practices, worked hard in drills or not will never be known to me, but his conduct and level of obvious disinterest in games suggested that he was a bit more concerned about his minutes than some others.

I wish him well and I hope he will have some good memories.

krozman
03-21-2010, 02:03 PM
I came onto this board to exactly comment on this. You have three seniors on this team, and you're about to be obliterated. A coach has a responsibility to get their seniors on the floor. Coach Few exercised pitiful judgment. I'm not going to go so far as to say it was a "grudge" or some other conspiracy though. I just wish the coach would be able to seperate himself from the pitiful performance and think of his seniors.

gamagin
03-21-2010, 02:42 PM
the first time RS was pulled with two fouls. Just to force cuse to adjust their shots underneath and basically be a disrupter.

He's done fairly well for a few minutes in that role and I think he could have jammed up the view better than KO at that time. But it didn't happen.

I don't know why that was changed by the coaches.

Beyond that, I don't think getting Big Will in the game just for the hell of it mattered that much, to him or the coaches.

He stopped being the last second charity case insert several games ago and rightfully so. He came in to try and make a difference and often did just that.

HillBillyZag
03-21-2010, 02:50 PM
I think Few has such a man crush on K.O, that there is no room left over.

bartruff1
03-21-2010, 02:56 PM

Right. That's why he was on the team for 4 seasons. Jesus Reno, I agree...Will was well aware of what his role was going to be at Gonzaga and he made the choice to stay. I for one am sick of the soap opera. Will was not going to turn the game around. If I had been the coach I would be investing time in the kids rather than rewarding the past. That investment just may pay off in the future. I sincerly hope that Will is happy with his experience at Gonzaga, but if he is not, he has himself to blame...NOT FEW.

Zag 77
03-21-2010, 03:12 PM
This was not Senior Night for crying out loud. Foster would have been embarassed out there. It was mercy to keep him out. He got one hell of a lot more playing time in 4 years than he deserved. He should be happy with his experience and his degree and be happy about it. The guy would not have played much at all in 4 years if Sacre had been healthy, and if Poling had not been a bust.

I wish that over the last 6 weeks Foster had the good sense to keep his mouth shut and not make public comments showing him to be such a whiner.

Bogozags
03-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Division I basketball is business first and foremost. We may not like to think it is that it is just about the game and competing; however, those days are long gone. Those days were from the Wooden Era and will not return

Since it is now a business we face the fact that winning is paramount in this business. We all know how much University of Gonzaga has benefitted from the business of basketball. Attendance at the university has over doubled since 1999 great season. The Zags travel in their own plane, have a new arena, television contracts, Nike sponsorship and am sure others.

Mark Few orchestrated all this with Coach Monson departing for Minnesota and each and every one of us are ecstatic that he has decided to stay. We brag about his recruiting coups. We rave at his ability to get us back to the “Dance” year in and year out. He is the winningest coach in GU history and has the current highest winning percentage among his peers.

Now he is being criticized for not having enough “class” and getting his seniors into the game to get a few minutes. Why does this not surprise me.

Will and P-Maag didn’t get into the game and get garbage minutes, it would have been nice for them to get into the game but as I said in an earlier post, Coach Few had his mind on other game related issues. A teachable moment is just that a teaching opportunity and class was not out and he was still teaching!

Maybe it is just the fact we lost and lost badly to once again, the best team in the country. It seems that we have that cross to bere as it has happened several times in our past, most notably last year to UNC.

In our frustration and maybe even our anger we do not want to throw Coach Few “under the bus” as I believe we will need him next season.

CDC84
03-21-2010, 05:56 PM
If you watched the Zags at all this year, there was one consistent theme: Few never played Will against highly athletic teams unless he was forced to due to frontcourt foul trouble. He's done the same thing all year, so it was hardly shocking that Foster wasn't put in today.

TexasZagFan
03-21-2010, 06:17 PM
If you watched the Zags at all this year, there was one consistent theme: Few never played Will against highly athletic teams unless he was forced to due to frontcourt foul trouble. He's done the same thing all year, so it was hardly shocking that Foster wasn't put in today.

I don't think Will would have altered any of the 3 pointers SU was knocking down, nor would have he aided our woeful/pathetic 3 point shooting. I wasn't that impressed with SU's defense. We had plenty of open looks, but clanged 'em.

spudzag
03-21-2010, 06:41 PM
At the very least it's extremely bad form not giving Will and P-Maag a few minutes, butting heads or not. The coach needs to be the bigger man in these situations.

gu03alum
03-21-2010, 07:14 PM
I don't think Will would have altered any of the 3 pointers SU was knocking down, nor would have he aided our woeful/pathetic 3 point shooting.

+1

Also, which post did you want to replace him with? The one with 24 points and 8 rebounds or the one with 17 points and 8 rebounds. Rob and Elias looked fine to me out there. It was the other three positions that were not producing on either end of the floor.

gu03alum
03-21-2010, 07:16 PM
Also, what helps the team for next year more? Is it giving graduating seniors some garbage minutes even though they already had a senior night? Or is it more important giving young players who will help the team next year some tournament minutes? I'm glad guys like GJ and KO got minutes.

jim77
03-21-2010, 07:37 PM
We wer're down 30 something at one point....we should not have played folks who couldn't bring it down. We could have lost by 40....which is not good for the ego. The coach had a group in that was playing as hard (harder) than the guys did earlier.(especially GJ) GJ was thrown in there when this game was UGLY and instead of attitude, the kid played HARD...I respect that. Cutting the lead to 22 AND giving next year's guys experience trumps senior minutes. The time to have stuck Will in was in the first half. The coach chose otherwise and that is his business. On a personal note I like Will and enjoyed watching him play....I wish we would have redshirted him. I don' think he's anywhere near his peak....it takes time to grow into his size and this year you could tell he was more comfortable. Either way wearing a GU jersey is a dream most will never experience. Best of luck to the big guy.

BSUBronco74
03-21-2010, 09:33 PM
Few should've found a way to work him in the rotation. What did he have to lose once we were down by 30?

A quick look at the box score shows that Syracuse starters played 162 minutes. Boeheim played only 2 additional players the entire game, for a total of 38 bench minutes, although at anytime after the 10-minute mark in the second half he could have cleared his bench with no ill effect. He played his two top scorers Johnson and Rautin all the way until the end, even when up by 30pts with 10minutes to go, and up by 20 points with 5 minutes to go.

GU starters played (you guessed it) 162 minutes, and their 4 bench players played (you guessed it) 38 minutes. At least GJ got some playing time to give him a reason to not transfer next year.

My guess is that Mark Few would have liked to run Big Will, Gibbs and Hart, and even P-Maag out there at the end for some extended minutes, but his good buddy D_ick_ead Boeheim was still mashing down on the accelerator pedal right up to the end, and Few was not going to give him the satisfaction of a kneel-down.

What d'ya reckon?

montanazag88
03-21-2010, 10:37 PM
A quick look at the box score shows that Syracuse starters played 162 minutes. Boeheim played only 2 additional players the entire game, for a total of 38 bench minutes, although at anytime after the 10-minute mark in the second half he could have cleared his bench with no ill effect. He played his two top scorers Johnson and Rautin all the way until the end, even when up by 30pts with 10minutes to go, and up by 20 points with 5 minutes to go.

GU starters played (you guessed it) 162 minutes, and their 4 bench players played (you guessed it) 38 minutes. At least GJ got some playing time to give him a reason to not transfer next year.

My guess is that Mark Few would have liked to run Big Will, Gibbs and Hart, and even P-Maag out there at the end for some extended minutes, but his good buddy D_ick_ead Boeheim was still mashing down on the accelerator pedal right up to the end, and Few was not going to give him the satisfaction of a kneel-down.

What d'ya reckon?

but just how long does one have to watch GU ball to know this is one of Few's most significant weaknesses.......letting good teams back in the game. boeheim is an experienced coach who RESPECTED the Zags starters and BENCH....taking no chances.....NONE! That's what you do when you are a hall of fame coach in a tough conference. Boys, it's not about who's nice to the players/other teams....it's about winning.

OZZY
03-21-2010, 10:49 PM
The experience playing younger GU players against Syracuse in front of a pro-Orange crowd in a pressure game. >>>> Playing (for Nostalgia) a senior who would have trouble keeping up with the game.

Nostalgia is why we have Seniors night.

A 22 point loss was bad enough!

GorgeZag
03-21-2010, 11:00 PM
I understand why he didn't play earlier.
However when youre down by 20+ with two minutes left you can't slide a fan favorite into action in his final game?

MJ777
03-21-2010, 11:16 PM

What d'ya reckon?

Question: Isn't it up to the team behind to throw in the towel? I think Jimmy B kept his starters in as a sign of respect because Few did. I see the wisdom of Few having the Zags play hard until the end with some of the freshmen on the court that he will need next year.

However, the last 1-2 minutes he could have subbed and brought Matt out for his Sr. ovation in his last game. Instead; we saw Matt dribble away the last four seconds at half court. You have to admit that goes against protocol and is perplexing. Maybe Matt waved him off when he was going to sub him out because he wanted to be on the court as long as he could be in his last game as a Zag. :confused:

MedZag
03-21-2010, 11:53 PM
However, the last 1-2 minutes he could have subbed and brought Matt out for his Sr. ovation in his last game. Instead; we saw Matt dribble away the last four seconds at half court. You have to admit that goes against protocol and is perplexing. Maybe Matt waved him off when he was going to sub him out because he wanted to be on the court as long as he could be in his last game as a Zag. :confused:

Don't know if subbing Matt out would exactly be "protocol". It's the NCAA tournament, he's your senior leader, you give him every possible second on the court, period. Even in a rout. IMHO.

LongIslandZagFan
03-22-2010, 05:04 AM
Told ya so!

Feel special now??? Grow up.

bigblahla
03-22-2010, 05:59 AM
Feel special now??? Grow up.

+1

Go!! Zags!!!

bartruff1
03-22-2010, 06:50 AM
The Few critics are really at the end of their rope on this one...what a sad bunch...

77Zag
03-22-2010, 08:50 AM
The Few critics are really at the end of their rope on this one...what a sad bunch...

+1

Enough - close this rag of a thread