Kennel Club Material
    • Oct 2008

No complaint-Observation-

I love meech but not having a point who can shoot really hurts badly!-
  • TR11Zag
    Kennel Club Material
    • Feb 2007

7 years of this

First Pargo, now Meech are useless from beyond the arc. 7 years of this! Why do we recruit players who cannot do their job?

Against a pure zone team like Syracuse, Meech is a liability.

Very frustrating.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
      • Mar 2008

are we watching the same game? we were ahead when meech sat for rest and down 10 when he came back in...not sure how another outside shooter would help our defense...we r shredding their defense when we play like we should
      The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• Stache
        Professional Zag Fan
        • Nov 2007

Combo guard

Defense and knock down open shots?? Crazy talk.

Comment

• sofa king
          Bulldog Fan
          • Nov 2007

Imho

Pull Meech and put in Kong. They need 3 shooters and two inside players. They should be dribbling left to right and right to left outside as well, not just pass, pass, pass, as nobody is moving to get open outside. They will need to start shooting 3's and Bouldin, Gray, Kong and Harris gives them that option. And oh by the way (dead horse alert) DEFEND THE THREE when the other team is weak inside!

Comment

• MDABE80
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

NOTHING WILL SOLVE THIS GAME....tired and unprepared, bad defense, the worst shooring, passing sucks...this isn't Meech...this is the entirre team.

Even inside Sacre looks confused. HArris is nowhere to be found when he's not shooting....just terrible game.

Comment

• MJ777
              Zag for Life
              • Mar 2009

Maybe the Zags weren't underseeded. Tough way to go out if this keeps up.
              This is getting embarrassing. Cuse isn't missing shots like Scotty Reynolds and Nova did yesterday, and Zags are not scoring inside like Samhan did or hitting lots of 3s like SMC did yesterday. Go Zags.

Comment

• deathchina
                Professional Zag Fan
                • Mar 2007

Harris set the tone early on D when he just let Wes Johnson hit a couple open 3's.

That's our MO on defense...let them shoot! Well, we're seeing how well that works....it's hard to stomach a defense that depends on an opponent failing in order to succeed.

Comment

• CB4
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2009

Reggie sums it up best

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                    Zag for Life
                    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by NYCZAG View Post
                    I love meech but not having a point who can shoot really hurts badly!-
                    Interesting that you felt the need to qualify your remark- probably out of fear of being labeled a "hater". Meech is okay against midmajors when he can blow by the opposition, but ineffective against high level competition most of the time, because of his inability to shoot from outside and to pass creatively.

He may be a better on-ball defender than Dan, Matt, or Blake, but how much has that helped today? Put Dan or Matt at pt on this team, and it would be the best team GU has had yet imo, a team feared by everyone and a real final 4 threat.

I don't hate Meech at all- I love his heart and effort. But until he improves his skill level, he's not good enough to be more than a backup on a top level team.

Point guard in basketball is like qb in football, the head of the team that controls the body of the offense. Unless your focus is exclusively on being a great defensive team (and GU's isn't), you can only go so far with this weakness.

Hope no one is offended by this.

Comment

• 2wiceright
                      Bleeds GU Blue
                      • Dec 2007

I love meech and hate to agree we need a point guard who can shoot- no doubt. But where was Matt today? If he would have shown up with a career best game at least we would have had a chance at keeping it close. When Matt struggles on offense the whole team is out of sync!

Matt- you're a great player and thanks for 4 great years with the Zags. Just sad his last game was not on a better note... Good luck to all three seniors- esp. Matt!
                      "Blake Stepp had a reputation for saying little. That's probably because he had to clench his teeth and wince so much, playing through the pain."
                      -Tales From the Gonzaga Hardwood

Comment

• coryb
                        Bulldog Fan
                        • May 2009

Am I the only one that thinks this?

For a guy we all seem to praise a lot, he sure doesn't do much in the tourney against the BIG teams.
                        Today against syracuse: 3 of 13 fg, 0 of 6 3pt for 8 pts
                        Last year against UNC: 3 of 10 fg, 0 of 5 3pt for 7 pts

Not to mention he only scored 8 pts against davidson the year before UNC and 8 pts against indiana the year before that.

Comment

• GUDan07
                          Kennel Club
                          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by JohnnyGonzaga
                          Maybe you don't understand the position of "Point Guard". Meech did his job, being able to shoot is icing on the cake.
                          Maybe you don't understand basketball. Having a point guard (or any player for that mater) who is not a threat on offense allows for his man to play off and now you're virtually playing 4 on 5. If you can't shoot at the point, then you at least have to be a threat to drive, al la Pargo. Meech does neither. Love his defense but he's a killer on the offensive side of the ball.

Comment

• ChampZag
                            Brother of Woohoo
                            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                            NOTHING WILL SOLVE THIS GAME....tired and unprepared, bad defense, the worst shooring, passing sucks...this isn't Meech...this is the entirre team.

Even inside Sacre looks confused. HArris is nowhere to be found when he's not shooting....just terrible game.
                            Are you talking about the Syracuse game?? If so Harris is the only reason why we were in that game, and I thought Sacre played great.

Comment

• NYCZAG
                              Kennel Club Material
                              • Oct 2008

I just hope they recruit a point who is deadly from outside ala Matty San-Dickau-Stepp-Yes I do like meech good defender great kid just can't shoot a basketball and YOU need a point guard who makes teams honest!-And yes I know basketball somewhat I have two national championship teams I started on at Williams College granted it's D 3 but you still have to ball!-

Comment

Working...
                              X