PDA

View Full Version : Where's the Meech love?????

TacomaZAG
03-20-2010, 07:18 AM
We have been complaining about not having a point guard all year, so how about admitting we are starting to see one, especially with Meech's game last night. 34 minutes, 9 points, a couple of assists to go along with some TO's. I know, he didn't take a jump shot, was out of control a couple of times, had his defensive lapses. BUT, he was under control for most of the game, had some nice drive and dish plays, ran FSU into the ground in the first half, and was his typical "tough as nails" self for the entire game.

When GJ or Bol came in last night to spell Meech, the offense sputtered and the defense went soft. Both those guys are great players, but I think our young bench were a bunch of "deer in the headlights" in their first NCAA game. Hopefully, the bench will be better Sunday, we'll need them.

I've been as hard on Meech as anyone, but he really stepped up last night and is starting to play like we all hoped he would, and knew he could.

He is a gamer..........

Go ZAGS

bartruff1
03-20-2010, 07:29 AM
He has stepped up all year....Few loves him and has designed a offense that takes advantage of his strengths ( and Matts) and minimizes his lack of perimeter shooting and Meech has done what he has been asked to do and has the discipline to play the team game...they don't need any jump shots from him...it has always been "5 on 5"....

FuManShoes
03-20-2010, 07:34 AM
here: http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=27944

misszigzag
03-20-2010, 07:36 AM
I think there is another thread on the second page giving meech kudos, but I'll add to this.

Goodson was a warrior last night, and you could tell he was hurt. He did battle through it, and came up key for us. Hope that shoulder is A-okay :)

Bombs over Zaghdad
03-20-2010, 07:42 AM
I think there is another thread on the second page giving meech kudos, but I'll add to this.

Goodson was a warrior last night, and you could tell he was hurt. He did battle through it, and came up key for us. Hope that shoulder is A-okay :)

Well said. I saw him wincing in pain more than once after he gave his on all a play.

He is a gamer indeed, and that is what you have to have in order to win close tournament games. Love it!

Birddog
03-20-2010, 07:52 AM
I voted Meech GUnit. Aside from his stat line which was nice (2 for 3 FG, 5 of 6 FT, 5RB, 2A, 2TO), he played perhaps his smartest game to date. He got caught early on trying to make a shot under the trees and got stuffed and learned from that. Late in the 2nd half he made a pass from the floor to keep a possession alive on a loose ball, he played great defense, and he nabbed some key rebounds. The biggest change I saw was when he brought the ball up. I've cringed in the past when he races up court abruptly stops, takes a long stretch step and then looks for an open teammate, frequently having to pass out of a double in the process. I don't recall him doing that one time last night. he knew where he was going with the ball ahead of the stop or at least he was aware of his options. This is the court vision that has been so elusive this season. As a result, the passes were crisper, more timely and the offense didn't get as bogged down. This helped the spacing and enabled the Zags to make the extra pass and still have time on the clock. I hope this is/was a turning point for Meech and the way he handles bringing the ball up.

Lastly, he was just aces at the free throw line in crunch time.

allnet59
03-20-2010, 08:11 AM
I must agree Meech has played well down the stretch and has made some critical free throws. I have always said for his size he's the toughest guy we have. It will be interesting to see how effective he will be in tomorrow's game considering Cuse's zone defense and his lack of a three point jump shot. I'm guessing not as much playing time it his shot isn't going in. If it turns into a half court game and we need to pass over the zone the bench will need to step it up for us. Kelly could be a deciding factor given his dribbling and overall size advantage. I really like our chances as long as we don't run and gun with them. go zags

bartruff1
03-20-2010, 08:16 AM
He is not Dan...I love that kid...it looked like he was a foot shorter than those bullies from FSU and he didn't give up a inch....I would love to see him play against Wall... or dare I say.......Isiah....:)

hondo
03-20-2010, 08:19 AM
"I voted Meech GUnit."

I did the same.

Radbooks
03-20-2010, 08:22 AM
According to Tim Lewis at KREM2 Meech did get hurt pretty badly:

As for Goodson, he got hurt during the game. I saw the trainers working on his shoulder during the first timeout. He played the rest of the game (obviously), but he had a huge bag of ice on his shoulder after the contest. Meech told me in the locker room that he originally thought he broke his shoulder. With that said...Demetri thinks he'll be just fine for Sunday's battle.

There's lots of other good stuff on Tim's blog (http://www.krem.com/sports/Gonzaga-Blog--88709572.html).

upan8th
03-20-2010, 08:31 AM
The Meechster, giving him full credit for playing smarter last nite, still has one habit that makes me crazy: He gives up his dribble before he's made a decision what HIS NEXT MOVE is going to be, inviting pressure defense and double teams. Actually all the Zags do this to some extent. I wish they'd play like Cornell's players do, surveying the entire floor, constantly moving, clearing, screening and rolling; never hesitating to pass, dribble or shoot given the proper spacing. It's a beautiful thing. Thread thieving mini rant now over. Go Meechmeister!

gamagin
03-20-2010, 09:31 AM
The Meechster, giving him full credit for playing smarter last nite, still has one habit that makes me crazy: He gives up his dribble before he's made a decision what HIS NEXT MOVE is going to be, inviting pressure defense and double teams. Actually all the Zags do this to some extent. I wish they'd play like Cornell's players do, surveying the entire floor, constantly moving, clearing, screening and rolling; never hesitating to pass, dribble or shoot given the proper spacing. It's a beautiful thing. Thread thieving mini rant now over. Go Meechmeister!

He's our redeemer. He redeems himself just about when everyone has lit their torches and are out looking for him.

as someone pointed out in one of the several other efforts at giving him proper appreciation, he is just finishing his first complete year of play and has already won two NCAA games for us.

One for sure and, imo, last night's effort broke USF's back. He WAS their last hope for getting closer and he broke their hearts at, of all places, the f.t. line.

I could just hear the wails all over spokane, and on the game thread, and in one thread, when he was even passed the ball, much less fouled and was approaching the f.t. line.

BobZag
03-20-2010, 09:39 AM
A nice game.

He needs shoes with better grip, though. He spends half his time slipping on the floor.