PDA

View Full Version : Gee, thanks, Dana

FuManShoes
03-19-2010, 10:13 PM
She'd have you believe the Zags lost or barely beat a woefully inferior oponnet. Neither is true. Sure, mistakes were made, but the Zags won a tough one by playing tough.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/7852/gonzaga-67-florida-state-60

Final: Gonzaga 67, Florida State 60
March, 19, 2010
MAR 19
9:24
PM ET
Comment Email Print Share
By Dana O'Neil
BUFFALO -- Some quick post-game reactions.
Note to Gonzaga: This sort of effort won't fly against Syracuse (presuming the presumable win over Vermont). The shooting part is great, but the complete loss of focus late and the crummy defensive effort in the end will equate to a disaster against the Orange. Syracuse isn't going to let Gonzaga shoot 50 percent from the floor, either so relying on scoring won't get it done.
Elias Harris has to be involved for 40 minutes, not 20. Harris had 11 at the halftime break and 11 still with under four minutes to play. He finished with 13. The big man is critical to Gonzaga's success. Ditto Robert Sacre. He only had 5 in the second half. Again, if the Zags play Syracuse and the Cuse don't have Arinze Onuaku, Gonzaga has to be able to expose the inside.
Give credit to Florida State for revving up its engine, but also a smack on the head for not playing hard until there was only eight minutes left in the game in an eventual 67-60 loss. If FSU wants to be taken seriously as a player in college basketball, the Seminoles need to come out with a fire from the opening tip.
The Seminoles had plenty of opportunities to grab this game, but they clanked free throws and turned the ball over too often.
Sophomore Deividas Dulkys nearly summoned a comeback by himself. The sharpshooter scored 11 points in the final five minutes to reignite the crowd and the Seminoles. But again, too little too late.

MedZag
03-19-2010, 10:21 PM
Everyone's always working an angle. Pratically noone in Bristol thought we'd get the W in the first place.

upan8th
03-19-2010, 10:23 PM
+...what she said. Pretty much spot on.

Goshzagit
03-19-2010, 10:25 PM
In all honesty, a little too harsh. If she wants to criticize anything, let's talk about our bench production or lack thereof(a must in the NCAA, btw). We had ZERO depth, literally.

Having said that, Dana doesn't sound much different than many of us following a great Gonzaga victory. Did any of us believe we'd win a game in the NCAA's at the beginning of the year? No freakin' way. We've exceeded every single expectation I've had this season. Its all gravy.

If anything, O'neill sounds like a "closet" Zags' fan whom is attempting to to share or possibly instill her words of wisdom on how to beat Syracuse. Yeah, its unconventional, but she's quietly rooting us on in her own way, at least imo.

MDABE80
03-19-2010, 10:47 PM
That darn Dana the basketball expert!! Truth is though....Cuse doesn't have the defense FSU does/did. Undlike today though, to beat Cuse...each of our kids must focus and be rested. We have as much talent as Cuse does, but none of it matters if we don't have focus and stamina...I thought we ran out of gas in the last 10 minutes of the game. Feet looked slow and legs heavy. Our bigs should go nuts against Syracuse tough...Elias must play hard the entire game...and 2 boards ( like today) won't mean much. Robert needs his Maui face again.

Down the stretch Meech is the only kid who looked strong. A wee bit much of "mouth breathing" by our guards. It's a guard's game from now on. Glad we had built a big lead today or we wouldn't be talking like this tonight.

Goshzagit
03-19-2010, 11:39 PM
That darn Dana the basketball expert!! Truth is though....Cuse doesn't have the defense FSU does/did. Undlike today though, to beat Cuse...each of our kids must focus and be rested. We have as much talent as Cuse does, but none of it matters if we don't have focus and stamina...I thought we ran out of gas in the last 10 minutes of the game. Feet looked slow and legs heavy. Our bigs should go nuts against Syracuse tough...Elias must play hard the entire game...and 2 boards ( like today) won't mean much. Robert needs his Maui face again.

Down the stretch Meech is the only kid who looked strong. A wee bit much of "mouth breathing" by our guards. It's a guard's game from now on. Glad we had built a big lead today or we wouldn't be talking like this tonight.

I agree, we did look tired. That said, we NEVER gave up and played hard until the final buzzer, but fatigue was a big factor. When i watched 'Cuse tonight, they played their scrubs the final 10 mins of the game and looked energized throughout. Sure, they played 13 deep, but never once looked "winded" as we did. I wonder if the 10 days off or FSU's rabid, frantic defense had anything to do with it. I think we'll be better prepared physically(and mentally) for Sunday's game. Not saying we'll win, but our lungs and muscles received a nice little warm-up for sunday's game.

jim77
03-20-2010, 12:52 AM
Good points Abe.

The team did look fatiqued except for Meech....they did against St. Mary's too. You'd thing with all the days leading up they would be better rested....that fatiqued resulted in some poor lazy passes. Its even more surprising considering there were timeouts out the wazoo. Hopefully, we'll stay more energized against Syracuse.

Maybe somebody should go get some sublingual b-12 for the night before......the dissolving under the tonque type.

LongIslandZagFan
03-20-2010, 06:42 AM
In some respects she is right. But where she figures that Cuse won't let the Zags shoot like that is laughable. Zags did it against one of the best defensive teams in the country. But play like they did in the second half and it will goodnight boys.

Hoopaholic
03-20-2010, 06:53 AM
analyze the game before making a statement is what comes to my mind when I read "Dana's" article

It was an EXTREMELY physical game...1rst offensive set of the game meech was "blocked" out of bounds by an illegal moving screen as if the FSU player was a pulling left guard in football....and that continued throughout the game....if you TIVO the game go back and watch it as I have several times now EVERY PLAY FSU was POUNDING....that takes physical strength out of players when not normally used to that type of physical contact
Bouldin looked like a pin ball in "STAR WARS ARCADE" game going thru his normal cuts and slashes
Gray was forcefully handchecked more than a beautiful blonde on a first date
Sacre wasnt kidding when he said it was like hockey...he was body checked ANYTIME he moved

Secondly....FSU is a legit team. You know they were going to gather up their strength and make a run at GU even down by 15....we responded , at times was not pretty but we responded which is a sign of a good team

Thirdly: some of those "momentum" shots were SIMPLY head shakers...come on the banked , falling away, defended 3 point shot....those kind of shots can take the psychological wind out of a team...but GU stood strong

4th FSU changed game plans at halftime: it was clear first half was defensive oreinted to taking Bouldin drive away and covering gray on shots, with the obvious idea that their "bigs" could take care of our "Bigs"...DIDNT work.....adjustment was clear...time to take the bigs away...and guess what Bouldin read this and took over second half

IrishEv211
03-20-2010, 07:05 AM
I'm not sure where you guys are getting this, but Syracuse's defense will be much better and athletic than FSU's...that zone is very tough...I just want to see a competitive game and not get blown out

FuManShoes
03-20-2010, 07:32 AM
On second thought, the Zags were pretty shaky for the middle 14 minutes of the second half, and much of Dana's criticism is warranted. There were way too many forced interior passes, dribbles into traffic and lazy closeouts. I do think the Zags were gassed and hopefully we can just chalk that up to jet lag, time off, what have you. I hope they have their sea legs and can get out in transition against Syracuse.

Once and Future Zag
03-20-2010, 08:30 AM
I'm not sure where you guys are getting this, but Syracuse's defense will be much better and athletic than FSU's...

Per KenPom

Adjusted Defensive Effeciency #1 Florida St. (84.4)
#2 2P% 40.3% // #101 3P% 32.80

Adjusted Defensive Effeciency #19 Syracuse (89.1)
#89 2P% 45.8 // #33 3P% 30.8

Both good, but FSU definitely stronger against our strengths. We're not a team that relies on the 3.

Xin Loi 67
03-20-2010, 09:59 AM
"fairer sex" has a soft spot for a loser. I don't even like the computer she hammered this crap out on. Go ahead and agree with this East Cost Homer, whatever cranks your tractor.