• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagsObserver
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2010

Zero Bench Points Against FSU

First of all, I would like to applaud the Zags on the victory. There were a lot of upsets in the first round, and it's a testament to how hard it is to win each and every game, regardless of opponent. That having been said, I was surprised by the fact that we had zero bench points today. Kong didn't look for his shot, Olynk didn't had a nice pass in the post, and a key rebound, but didn't look to score. Bench offense hasn't been there all year long, and especially now with Arop's absence. However, this does mean that if we have a couple of our starters go cold or have off nights, we will probably lose.
  • ZagLawGrad
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    First of all, I would like to applaud the Zags on the victory. There were a lot of upsets in the first round, and it's a testament to how hard it is to win each and every game, regardless of opponent. That having been said, I was surprised by the fact that we had zero bench points today. Kong didn't look for his shot, Olynk didn't had a nice pass in the post, and a key rebound, but didn't look to score. Bench offense hasn't been there all year long, and especially now with Arop's absence. However, this does mean that if we have a couple of our starters go cold or have off nights, we will probably lose.
    It's the rare freshman that is ready for this tournament. I doubt even Arop would have made much of a splash.
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• gamagin
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

disagree here,

Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post
      I think the bench didn't score because they didn't shoot. Nor did any get the ball and refuse to shoot. I didn't see their opportunities. But so what ?

It doesn't mean they can't, or won't. Bol might have had a chance to shoot maybe one time, but was well covered. KO did a pretty good job of messing with his guy on defense & moving the ball around. I didn't see GJ get the ball much either. I don't remember Will receiving any passes, either, but he held his own, discouraged a few easy shots and got a block.

the roles I saw here were giving the starters a blow. Mission accomplished, imo.
      Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
      Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
      Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• FuManShoes
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

I thought Kong and Kelly passed up some shots and perhaps that led to them being yanked. I was perplexed why GJ was in the game considering he's played little all year. In the end it worked out. I think Kong and Kelly will need to make plays for this team to reach it's potential.
        “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Comment

• cscz28
          Kennel Club
          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by gamagin View Post

the roles I saw here were giving the starters a blow. Mission accomplished, imo.
          +1. I thought they played their roles to perfection

Comment

• CaZagAlum
            Bulldog Fan
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by FuManShoes View Post
            I was perplexed why GJ was in the game considering he's played little all year. In the end it worked out.
            I wondered too, but didn't Meech go down really hard under the basket right before that? Maybe he needed some quick trainer help or got the breath knocked out of him.

Comment

• MedZag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Freshmen. It happens.
              Training Grounds: Rambling Thoughts of a Surgical Resident
              You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. -Siddhartha Gautama

Comment

• snebzag
                Kennel Club
                • Mar 2008

Freshman, yes, not a lot of opportunities, yes, didn't look to score. yes. Still very odd. No bench points. No bench player even shot the ball. BK traveled before he could get a shot up. Did a team win the last two days that had ZERO bench points? Stat nuts should research this. Not complaining, I love winning. Just think it is a very odd stat.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                  Zag for Life
                  • Sep 2009

KO had 4 rebs in 10 minutes. That's a significant contribution.

Comment

• surfmonkey89
                    Not Roy Orbison
                    • Feb 2007

We should get into the same habits as the players.

Sunday is a new day, against a new team. Wipe out everything that happened today and start over.

Survive and advance.

Comment

• webspinnre
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Bench play becomes less and less important on the weekends.
                      I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• CDC84
                        Super Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Almost every single team in this field will lose if a couple of their best players have an off game. Especially after round 1.

Comment

• roxdoc
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

They had their looks occassionally but didn't take them. It seems obvious to me that they were on a tight leash from the bench. As said above they fullfilled their roles perfectly (give the starters a blow and a rest from foul pressure)

Comment

• Goshzagit
                            Zag for Life
                            • Dec 2007

This is BS--quite simple b/c KO and Bol Kong had numerous open looks but chose not to pull the trigger, esp Olynyk. Man, I was screaming for him to shoot a couple open 3's and mid-range shots, but he withdrew and passed it off. Not sure if the Coached didn't give either player the green light in limited minutes or just apprehensive in their 1st Tourney game. Could be a combination of both, but we'll need both of the aforementioned to advance or have a remote chance vs Syracuse. We had a great night and much to celebrate, but it will be a blowout unless a bench player(or two) decide to show up, assert themselves, and score some points. Our starters have been tremendous, but after logging a $hit load of mins as freshman, its time for both players to grow a pair and take the OPEN SHOT for pete's sake!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• MickMick
                              Zag for Life
                              • Apr 2007

Speaking of the bench.

How did you like that rejection Will put on their big?

See? Bench play isn't all about scoring.
                              I miss Mike Hart

Comment

Working...
                              X