PDA

View Full Version : Can We Beat the Orange?

ZagLawGrad
03-19-2010, 06:27 PM
No one thinks we can except us Zags. Seriously, can we beat the Orange? Will we?

BlueVoodoo07
03-19-2010, 06:29 PM
Yes I think we have a great shot..Remember don't take alot of what you see from Cuses first round game. They are supposed to blow this team out.

btzag
03-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Yes, we definitely can. This tourney is WIDE open. Anyone who actually watched CBB this year should know that there are two great teams, Kansas and Kentucky, and then everyone else. Doesn't mean we will be favored or anything but remember that on their home court Syracuse lost to a division II team this year. They are not some juggernaut team that is filled with Carmelo Anthony and others.

McZag
03-19-2010, 06:31 PM
They are short-handed and are pounding Vermont.

We can win but need a complete, focused effort with less than 10 turnovers.

No reason to think that we cannot win though.

GrizZAG
03-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Remember this is Gonzaga! The upset kids that the nation admires because of it. We are taken seriously by every team. Ask Izzo.

This particular version of our Zags is an irony. They step up against big teams and besides has anyone ever stopped to think that SF, LMU, PO and SM are really pretty darn good teams that could probably play with anything PAC 10 has any day of the week?

I am not a big believer in WCC being a "weak" conference albeit history does bear it, but rather this WCC is pretty darn good this year and maybe better next.

If we could get our Zags to play with the intensity (SACRE!) we had first half with FL ST we will challenge any of them. They get tight and tentative or hurried it seems when the games start to wind down. Fix That..we win.

JeffyJeff
03-19-2010, 07:18 PM
There has been some angst about the 8 seed, but for the sake of argument, let's look at the matchups had the Zags landed as a 6 or 7 seed... Kansas State, West Virginia, Ohio State, Villanova (2 seeds) or Pitt, Baylor, New Mexico, and Ohio (the lone upset victor to put it in the 3 seed slot). I honestly like the matchup vs. Syracuse better than many of those other matchups.

The one thing that worries me watching parts of the Syracuse game tonight - they do a good job of penetrating then looking for secondary and tertiary cutters. The Zags defense this season has shown some difficulty picking up the kickouts and cutters off penetration. Shut that down and there is a solid chance.

rawkmandale
03-19-2010, 07:21 PM
56-40 with 9 minutes left is not exactly "pounding" - controlling, yes.

MJ777
03-19-2010, 07:23 PM
Nothing to lose....Play like Champions on Sunday Zags!

Xin Loi 67
03-19-2010, 07:25 PM
Hell Yes! We can beat anybody out there, hell yes!

LynetteG
03-19-2010, 07:25 PM
DAMN STRAIGHT! (ala Ham Sammich)

El Voce
03-19-2010, 07:37 PM
On the radio postgame, Richard Fox stated that GU should be quite confident going into Sunday's game. He said that Syracuse is very talented, but the Zags can play tougher than them inside. He suggests attacking the zone inside/out. Our w shooters are all streaky, but if they get hot, who knows?

jim77
03-19-2010, 08:07 PM
On the radio postgame, Richard Fox stated that GU should be quite confident going into Sunday's game. He said that Syracuse is very talented, but the Zags can play tougher than them inside. He suggests attacking the zone inside/out. Our w shooters are all streaky, but if they get hot, who knows?

Exactly.....we are the team that can do major damage to a zone because we can bomb from the outside. Team say we are soft but, they don't usually say that after they play us.

rawkmandale
03-19-2010, 08:10 PM
We'd better win. I only did two brackets, and have us advancing to the regional in both.

Once and Future Zag
03-19-2010, 08:12 PM
One thing that we have going for us is that we schedule in the OOC to prep for this - quick-turnaround against very good teams on the road.

This is what GU does.

MickMick
03-19-2010, 08:27 PM
About mid point through the season, I thought Syracuse was far and away, the best team in the nation.

But lately, they are not playing at that level.

One thing they are not.....the sweet 16 buzzsaw we faced in North Carolina last year. That team would trounce the entire field this year.

Syracuse has to be the favorite, but the Zags can win it.

If there is one thing that Mark Few knows.....it is the zone. Indeed, he knows it very, very well.

Why do you think our biggest ##### is about 3 point shooters?

Can we please give Bol Kong an injection of "I'm gonna take a 3 point shot" juice?

Edit:
The best team that no one is talking about is West Virginia. They are hot at the right time, Ebanks is almost playing at the level that the Ohio State kid is (well probably not that good), and Ebanks has a much, much better supporting cast.

I am really, really glad we are not playing those guys.

rawkmandale
03-19-2010, 09:08 PM
I think we're already in Syracuse's heads - from the coach on down. I think we'll be loose and fancy free. Well, at least until we get a 10 point lead.

surfmonkey89
03-19-2010, 09:18 PM
They beat us eight out of ten times.

Fortunately, we only play once.

rawkmandale
03-19-2010, 09:21 PM
They do? I don't think so.

maynard g krebs
03-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Syracuse just lost back to back to Louisville and Georgetown, who were blown out in the first round, so yes. They're good, but not invincible. Gotta make some 3's to win this game though. Today's 3-10 won't do it.

willandi
03-19-2010, 09:24 PM
"Of course we can"

portlandzag
03-19-2010, 09:32 PM
"In one word: Of course we can"

Ok, Samhan ;)

zagsmyboys
03-19-2010, 09:37 PM
To tell you the truth.......I know we can!! This Syracuse team is not the same one that went into 6 OT's that's for sure!! As a matter of fact, I would have thought that Syracuse would have smeared the floor with a #16 seeded team...their game tonight was...boring!!

CDC84
03-19-2010, 09:49 PM
The Zags can't be sucked into taking a bunch of threes. The teams who have beaten 'Cuse or have given them problems are teams with a big who can get into the middle of the zone and make plays happen. That being said, GU cannot afford to shoot miserably from the perimeter.

I think Harris could be the key to the game for Gonzaga.

It doesn't look like the Orange with have Onuaku in this game, or if he does play, he won't be near 100%. If the Zags can get Jackson into foul trouble, it would be greatly beneficial.

Few should stick a picture of Wesley Johnson on Steven Gray's locker. He's going to be seeing a lot of him.

The Zags have absolutely nothing to lose in this game. No one expects them to win. If you combine that with the fact that they are a team that is more talented than your typical 8 seed, well, it makes them a dangerous opponent. I know Boeheim is probably not happy about playing the Zags under these conditions, even if he has the better team.

I don't think the 9am PT start time will matter. The Zags are acclimated by now.

siliconzag
03-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Our bench has to do better than score no points. Seminoles bench beat ours 21-0. Additionally our 3 point has to be better than 30%. If we shoot 50% from threes (I know it will be tough, but we have to in order to win), and Sacre has another great game, and we keep our turnovers down, we will win. Remember that Syracuse plays a Zone, and we have some good games against teams that zone us. What worries me is that we will be tired because the starting five won't get any rest. I was a little disappointed not to see more Bol Kong in the offense tonight. He need to launch a few.

I thought Harris and Sacre played well, and of course so did Steven and Matt. A lot also depends on how the game is called. But there is a chance. The Zags should have a lot of confidence going into this game due to their ability to finally hold off a fierce comeback.

Sili

MedZag
03-19-2010, 10:07 PM
CAN we beat them? Of course.

WILL we beat them? Of that, I am less certain.

Goshzagit
03-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Anyone that says they're the "weakest" #1 seed just doesn't know anything about bball or have never seen the Orange play basketball. They were the #1, uno, cream of the crop one seed until the Big East tourney. I'd dare anyone to compare their overall body of work to any team, including KU, and say they aren't the best overall team in this Tournament. We have a tough draw and our hands full on Sunday. I'm just happy we won a game, let alone made the freakin' tourney this year. However, our bench better come to play next round and our starters will need to match their performance(s) vs FSU and bring their A+ game to have a chance to be in it come Sunday's game.

MickMick
03-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Anyone that says they're the "weakest" #1 seed just doesn't know anything about bball or have never seen the Orange play basketball. They were the #1, uno, cream of the crop one seed until the Big East tourney. I'd dare anyone to compare their overall body of work to any team, including KU, and say they aren't the best overall team in this Tournament. We have a tough draw and our hands full on Sunday. I'm just happy we won a game, let alone made the freakin' tourney this year. However, our bench better come to play next round and our starters will need to match their performance(s) vs FSU and bring their A+ game to have a chance to be in it come Sunday's game.

I definitely wouldn't call them the weakest #1 seed. I would, however, call them the #1 seed that the Zags match up best against.

If Wake's Ish Smith roamed free, imagine what Wall would do. Kansas is stacked at every position, battle tested in the best conference, and the favorite to take it all. I don't even want to mention Duke.

rawkmandale
03-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Exactly. This is the best matchup for Gonzaga. We have a chance, a good chance.

WestsideZag2424
03-19-2010, 10:54 PM
I think we definitely can win, but it'll be very tough. We'll have to play a full 40 minutes of our best ball, which unfortunately we haven't done all year. I've been saying for over a month that I didn't want to play Syracuse because of what they do to teams with that zone, but now that it's here oh well.

To beat the zone we HAVE TO attack the high post with Elias. He's the key. If he can fill that space and hit the jumper or pass over the center to Rob underneath we should be able to score. Bol getting hot from outside would be HUGE too.

Like I said I've been dreading Syracuse, but it's the tournament. You gotta play a great team at some point. So let's get it done on Sunday guys

TheBeast
03-19-2010, 11:10 PM
We can beat anyone.
Will we beat the Orange?
Ah, that's a question best left for Sunday to answer.
/NOT a haiku

rawkmandale
03-19-2010, 11:11 PM
Digger says we can do it if we go high-low with Sacre and Harris.

75Zag
03-20-2010, 05:43 AM
Spend some time reading the year to date stats on the Orange:

http://suathletics.syr.edu/documents/2009/11/12/SUcumulative11.12.09.pdf

They are a tremendous team. Bulldogs will require 100% of their skill PLUS a tremendous amount of luck to beat the Orange. Not saying it will not happen, but to a follower of BB statistics, we are in an ugly situation.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

bigblahla
03-20-2010, 06:18 AM
Somewhere the basketball gods are smiling with a twinkle in their eyes.

Will there be a reward for a great season by our young team better than a 9am start time against the kings of the Big East? Sure could be this is not UNC of last year, good, but beatable.

It's USF and LMU all over again but this time we're USF and LMU.

We bring it we beat them unless they play the game of their lives, we don't and the rest as they say is history.

I'm proud to be a Zag fan.

For Captain Matt, Big Will, P-Maag, c'mon fellas leave it all out on the floor.

Victory!

GO!! ZAGS!!!

Hoopaholic
03-20-2010, 06:39 AM
Simply put...yes we can. We are a team that is built and designed to beat the 2-3 matchup zone. A team that can give this defense FITS

BUT to do it we need:

Harris working baseline short corner and back cuts with Sacre controlling the middle paint to free throw

Bouldin/Gray and Harris will be key on weakside offensive rebounding for secondary points against the match up zone

Gray and Bouldin hitting their 3's

While I said Meech was the KEY in game one vs FSU, Kong and Oly play a bigger role in sundays game

I see a good game and GU by 7

bartruff1
03-20-2010, 07:10 AM
About mid point through the season, I thought Syracuse was far and away, the best team in the nation.

But lately, they are not playing at that level.

One thing they are not.....the sweet 16 buzzsaw we faced in North Carolina last year. That team would trounce the entire field this year.

Syracuse has to be the favorite, but the Zags can win it.

If there is one thing that Mark Few knows.....it is the zone. Indeed, he knows it very, very well.

Why do you think our biggest ##### is about 3 point shooters?

Can we please give Bol Kong an injection of "I'm gonna take a 3 point shot" juice?

Edit:
The best team that no one is talking about is West Virginia. They are hot at the right time, Ebanks is almost playing at the level that the Ohio State kid is (well probably not that good), and Ebanks has a much, much better supporting cast.

I am really, really glad we are not playing those guys. Bobby Knight has said that CUSE is the best in the country when they play their best... what a great opportunity and reward this is for the kids...we won't be out coached but I fear they will run out of gas...but...it could happen...

ZagAddict
03-20-2010, 08:25 AM
If Vegas is any barometer, ALL the Cuse fans were really disappointed when GU beat Florida State. The Cuse fan next to me said that the Zags are the type of team that will give them fits in the tourney. The Zags are definitely in their heads... don't under estimate the mental side of this game. I believe we will see a game reminiscent of the GU/Arizona game in 2002 in Salt Lake City... except Bouldin makes the running jumper at the end ;)