PDA

View Full Version : Prospect: Keegan Hyland

Angelo Roncalli
03-19-2010, 09:32 AM
Keegan Hyland of South Portland [Maine] and Faithfull's summertime running mate on the MBR travel team. When the summer circuit ended in August, Hyland had 22 offers, mainly from Atlantic-10, Patriot, Ivy and America East schools.

Analysts noticed, too.

Hyland, ranked the No. 157 shooting guard by ESPNU's recruiting analysts, averaged 27.7 points as a junior. He gave Vermont a verbal commitment one October morning before withdrawing it a day later.

"I made a quick decision one day; I shouldn't have done it," he said.

Hyland, 6-4, was the third-ranked player from a Maine school behind prep school players Ricmonds Vilde of Lee Academy (SMU signee) and Levan Shengelia of Maine Central Institute (Rhode Island verbal).

But the promising senior year was waylaid by a groin injury and later a fractured pelvis. Hyland missed all but three games, returning in February. He gave fans a glimpse of the past, pouring in 32 points during a 72-66 overtime loss to Westbrook in the Western A region semifinals.

"His work ethic is second to none; he's a coach's dream," South Portland coach Phil Conley said.

Hyland, consistent behind the 3-point arc and deceptively quick, has a strong overall floor game as he moves with purpose away from the ball and is also a terrific passer. His lack of strength and only mediocre athleticism can also limit him defensively, according to his ESPNU Recruiting profile.

Hyland will likely attend prep school in the fall, with powerhouse Brewster Academy (Wolfeboro, N.H.), the 2010 National and New England prep champions, the destination.

Hyland will continue physical therapy on his misaligned hip and rest the remainder of March on doctors' orders and is hopeful that a successful late push on the spring circuit will generate a college offer. Recently LaSalle, Rhode Island, Gonzaga and Penn State have reached out.

He's willing to wait.

"It'll have to be a good fit. I'm looking for a powerhouse program in a top-level conference; that's what I've worked for," said Hyland, who is South Portland's all-time leading scorer with 1,110 points.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5008869

Goshzagit
03-19-2010, 10:52 AM
It'll have to be a good fit. I'm looking for a powerhouse program in a top-level conference; that's what I've worked for," said Hyland[/url]

Nice find, AR.

While we've got the former covered in spades, not sure the latter is true at this point. While the WCC is much improved and a bit underrated, we aren't considered "top-level", per se. Maybe he can see beyond that, but considering he's influenced by east-coast minds, it might be tough unless he visit

tinfoilzag
03-19-2010, 11:08 AM
Hyland will continue physical therapy on his misaligned hip and rest the remainder of March on doctors' orders and is hopeful that a successful late push on the spring circuit will generate a college offer.

This makes me nervous, shades of Andy being sick and hurting his development.

I would love to have him for the name alone. Keegan Hyland?

Kurgan in the Highlander.

There can be only one!