PDA

View Full Version : So what is life like in Spokane?

Democratic Nole
03-18-2010, 03:03 PM
I am just curious. Living in Tampa, is a world away from Spokane. I've been to Seattle, but know that life is a little different outside of King County. Do you'll like it?

zag buddy
03-18-2010, 03:14 PM
10 minutes out of Spokane and you are in the country. Many of us love country living with city conveniences. A lot of smaller high schools (less than 800) surround the area. Great area to bring up you children. Many lakes, some small mountains and good hunting near by. Less than a 100 miles from the Canadian border I believe. I love it. We also experience the fullness of all four seasons.

primal23
03-18-2010, 03:15 PM
I like it, got almost everything I could ask for in an area. 4 seasons, well 2 if you count spring, summer and fall as road construction.:lmao:

NYCZAG
03-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Spokane is nice great family feel but I live in NYC-

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-18-2010, 03:31 PM
It's a lot like a box of chocolates.

jazzdelmar
03-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Spokane is nice great family feel but I live in NYC-

nycz: start spreading the news..............been there, done that.....like NO PLACE on earth.......

Virginia Zags Fan
03-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Spokane. Didn't know how much I would miss it until I left. Now I am on a 20 year odyssey and hoping to eventually return to Spokane/Northern Idaho. In my favor, I somehow convinced a North Idaho cutie to marry me. If you like the outdoors at all, it is as good as it gets. Except for maybe Alaska, which also rocks! All I can think of is getting back there to hike, fish, ski, bike... you get the picture.

As a side note, I get down to Florida a lot. Flat, beaches are nice, weather in winter is pretty good, fishing is good, but otherwise I am not so fond of FL. I like Tampa a lot better than Miami/Fort Lauderdale.

Birddog
03-18-2010, 03:44 PM
Spokane is bigger than life.

http://www.beans-around-the-world.com/photos/spokane2.jpg

810Suited
03-18-2010, 04:10 PM
always heard of it as

spokompton or methlaham

Once and Future Zag
03-18-2010, 04:17 PM
I am just curious. Living in Tampa, is a world away from Spokane. I've been to Seattle, but know that life is a little different outside of King County. Do you'll like it?

As someone said above - it has 4 true seasons (I recall having all 4 one spring break even)

krozman
03-18-2010, 04:52 PM
No traffic. Not a monochromatic nightmare cesspool (NYC). Not prone to any readily available major natural disaster. Four Seasons of whether. Cost of living is much much lower given the qualities and size of city.

Basically, unless you're one of those who define themselves by being involved in big city things, it's the best quality of life for the buck in the hemisphere.

Bad things about spokane: Roads....., mental illness (half being GUboard members).... things like that.

RenoZag
03-18-2010, 05:15 PM
The ex wife lives in Tampa. . .you can recognize her by the broomstick she rides to CENTCOM

ZAGNOLE
03-18-2010, 05:39 PM
47 years In Tallahassee, 5 in Spokane....

The people are astonishingly nice.

It's like a domed city (a gray, cloud colored dome) 6 months a year.

The summers are like heaven.

The winter is 97 months long.

The beauty that is within 5 hours drive is astounding.

The ice in winter disguises itself as dry road.

It has an inferiority complex for all things west of the Cascades.

It considers itself the capital of a mythical area that extends across northern Idaho and western Montana.

It's a bit provincial in its politics and culture.

It has a downtown and urban neighborhoods (with awesome prices!) that have great character.

You have to drive south thru odd, hilly wheat fields to see real football, and at that you are still tortured if you actually begin to care.

It has beautiful parks and a downtown canyon that I think is the best kept urban secret in America.

You fall and bust your ass on ice on your own front sidewalk.

My wife cried the day we moved there and cried harder the day we left.

Virginia Zags Fan
03-18-2010, 05:49 PM
Yep, that about sums it up.

willandi
03-18-2010, 06:18 PM
Tallahassee and Spokane. Spokane doesn't have Hurricanes, has only very small tornados (they argue about if they really were), very small and seldom earthquakes (about 8 years ago there was a series of tremors that sounded and felt like a semi going past on Division St).

Spokane does have occasionally harsh winters, but they have been playing golf here for 3 weeks, on permanent greens and tees...and the rounds cost $25-35, unless you want to play at one of the championship/resort courses that will run $100, but that includes cart and either GPS or a fore caddy.
If you snow ski, there are 1/2 dozen ski areas within 100 miles, if you water ski there is more water than you can comprehend within 50 miles.
If you fish, trout, Bass, Walleye, Sturgeon, Salmon, Steelhead etc., it is around. You can go hiking in the mountains, the desert or anywhere in between.

Heaven is not a cornfield in Iowa, It is Eastern Washington.

B Wayne
03-18-2010, 08:39 PM
Hey Zagnole! You must be torn.

Take comfort that one of two things will happen.

After a FSU loss, the camera will pan on the stunned wax museum-like faces on the Nole bench. Someone in the viewing audience will say "They seem alive."

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_usJh1FtXros/SKtymK6cxaI/AAAAAAAAAv0/FpVzgx4mczg/s320/819+Victoria+Wax+Museum+(0).JPG

OR

The Noles superb defense will stymie the Zags attacking offense like an expertly commanded level three five cannon Moon Cresta ship destroying the invading aliens.

http://www.meristation.com/EPORTAL_IMGS/GENERAL/articulos/Febrero2006-MatamarcianosGrandessagas/IMG2-cw43ee2f25230cf/Moon_Cresta.jpg

Either way, you can't go wrong.

NYCZAG
03-18-2010, 08:48 PM
Don't hate on NYC-It's an amazing city yes it's expensive but it's amazing a melting ### of people and idea's and some good basketball players have come out of here-

Zagineer
03-18-2010, 10:02 PM
It considers itself the capital of a mythical area that extends across northern Idaho and western Montana.
It has a downtown and urban neighborhoods (with awesome prices!) that have great character.
You have to drive south thru odd, hilly wheat fields to see real football, and at that you are still tortured if you actually begin to care.
It has beautiful parks and a downtown canyon that I think is the best kept urban secret in America.

For someone (like me) who was born and raised (for the first 22 years of my life) in Spokane a mere 7 miles from GU , I could not have said it any better.

You brought tears to my eyes, ZAGNOLE. :)

There is nothing like Summer Time in the 509!!

Ever since (...early 1960's) Tacoma (Pierce County) got license plates beginning with "B", while Spokane (Spokane County) got license plates beginning with "C", Spokane has always felt inferior (King County got the "A" plate of course). But that's ok. I grew up with that chip on my shoulder and it made me a better person in the long run. :)

The Inland Empire is alive and well!! :)

Like your wife, I'm sure I cried as I entered Spokane (for the first time at my birth in Deaconess Hospital) and I know I cried the day I left Spokane headed for Grad School at the University of Nebraska, Lincoln. But life marches on and so we must go.

Now, living on the evil West Side of Washington, (actually, I consider myself a spy in the occupied territory :D ), I appreciate all the more what I was able to experience growing up in Spokane.

Sorry to drivel on, but there. I said it.

Saxon_zag
03-18-2010, 10:03 PM
is this the same democratic nole that made this gem of a post?

http://floridastate.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1080&tid=132314686&mid=132314686&sid=1061&style=2

if so, go away.

Zagineer
03-18-2010, 10:41 PM
is this the same democratic nole that made this gem of a post?

http://floridastate.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1080&tid=132314686&mid=132314686&sid=1061&style=2

if so, go away.

Hmmm. Nice find, Saxon. Looks like we have a Schizo amongst us. Show your true colors, Democratic Nole, or forever be marked as a scum bag troll (oh!!... that rymes) destined to be banned.

PS: My post still stands. I expressed my feelings towards Spokane, the Inland Empire and GU. Too bad it was wasted on a scum bag troll.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I won't be fooled twice. :mad:

Admin and Mods - As for me, feel free to TOTALLY DELETE this tread.

What a POC!!

I sure hope ZAGNOLE is the real deal. But after Democratic Nole, I have become a cynic and don't trust any Nole.

rawkmandale
03-18-2010, 10:52 PM
Spokane is a family town, heavily influenced by its many and diverse churches. It is a place full of warm people, who are down to earth and have actual savings accounts (with money in them). It has an amazing spirit of volunteerism, and events like Bloomsday, Hoopfest, Terrain, and the RAWK Final Four, which reflect our abilty to do things that are out of the box, and honor participation, endeavor, and support for our kids. It has had an amazing number of great girls teams in high school sports (especially basketball and volleyball), showing family support for both genders. Despite a small minority population, the neighborhoods are integrated, and even the poor neighborhoods can't be called slums as they are known in many cities. Yes, we have our share of drugs and alcohol abuse, and mistreated kids. But the community does tremendous things to deal with those problems. Our Mayor is a woman who was raised in Georgia, part Muskogee, educated at Davidson, Yale, and Gonzaga Law School. She was the Executive Director of the Upper Columbia United Tribes (5 area Indian tribes), and is very interested in environmental improvements. We had an African American Mayor in the 1980s despite having only 2% African American population. We've had two female mayors before the previous one.

Our youth music scene is blowing up with great local talent and support for touring bands. We have an active slam poetry scene, and many fabulous artists and photographers. The local film industry is blossoming. We're retaining more of the very smart kids coming out of Gonzaga and Whitworth, and the other local colleges. Our citizens support our local school bonds.

Those are a few of the things that describe Spokane, but really just scratching the surface. It's a special place.

MJ777
03-18-2010, 11:38 PM

LOL...Great description of Coug Football....kinda sad though. I have only visited Spokane a couple of times briefly, but your description sounds grand.

Don't forget the movie VisionQuest. A very underrated sports movie filmed in Spokane. But one problem I had with the plot; the guy that Mathew Modine defeats in his quest looks like he outweighed Modine by 20 lbs, but Modine had to cut weight to get into his weight class. What's up with that? Did anyone on the board get to play an extra in the movie? Alright enough of wandering off topic, back to Spokane talk.

Zagineer
03-19-2010, 01:27 AM
Democratic Nole =

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd325/Zagineer/eddiesmal.jpg

azzagfan
03-19-2010, 04:39 AM
I've lived in 7 states and 4 countries and most of the people I work with, when asked where they are from, reply "all over".

It's been over 12 years since I've spent any length of time in Spokane, but there's still only 1 place I can call home when asked. I get to come home in not too long for a few weeks and I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve. What I miss:

Blooming lilacs in late April/early May
Lilac parade - Best representation of a medium-sized city in the heart of a rural region
Bloomsday
Hoopfest
Relaxing on a tube on a lake in the summer
Running along the river on the Centennial Trail
Hiking in Liberty Lake County Park and forgetting that you're 5 miles from civilization
Still caring about the schools in your community
Driving 75 minutes east to mountain bike or ski at forested Silver Mountain
Driving 2 hours west to jump off sand dunes at Potholes State Park
Being in a place where it feels as if everyone knows your name

ZAGNOLE
03-19-2010, 04:47 AM
Hmmm. Nice find, Saxon. Looks like we have a Schizo amongst us. Show your true colors, Democratic Nole, or forever be marked as a scum bag troll (oh!!... that rymes) destined to be banned.

PS: My post still stands. I expressed my feelings towards Spokane, the Inland Empire and GU. Too bad it was wasted on a scum bag troll.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I won't be fooled twice. :mad:

Admin and Mods - As for me, feel free to TOTALLY DELETE this tread.

What a POC!!

I sure hope ZAGNOLE is the real deal. But after Democratic Nole, I have become a cynic and don't trust any Nole.

BS, FSU 81;JD,GU 84 - active member Washington and Florida bars (I'm thinking of going for Maine and Hawaii some day).

Unabashed Spokane lover.

Angelo Roncalli
03-19-2010, 05:22 AM
LOL...Great description of Coug Football....kinda sad though. I have only visited Spokane a couple of times briefly, but your description sounds grand.

Don't forget the movie VisionQuest. A very underrated sports movie filmed in Spokane. But one problem I had with the plot; the guy that Mathew Modine defeats in his quest looks like he outweighed Modine by 20 lbs, but Modine had to cut weight to get into his weight class. What's up with that? Did anyone on the board get to play an extra in the movie? Alright enough of wandering off topic, back to Spokane talk.

I was working with Hospice of Spokane at the time the movie was filmed and the producers gave us $10 for each person we could get for the crowd scenes. So...I was in the crowd for the big final match, and in the crowd at the Bigfoot Tavern when Madonna sings "Crazy for You."

Democratic Nole
03-19-2010, 06:46 AM
I have a couple of people who post on my warchant account. After clicking the link and seeing what was said, I deleted it. My apologies to anyone who was offended. I've been posting on here a week, so you can judge whether I am an impostor or not. If I was regularly posting like that on warchant, it's likely I would do the same here. I challenge you to find another thread over there where I trash the Zags. Again, my apologies to those who were offended.

Pargo the Destroyer
03-19-2010, 07:50 AM
I've been here most of my life, by way of the Phillipines. We had a chance to move to Missoula and move to Portland. In the end, were still here, and will be for the near (and far) future. RN jobs here pay very well and cost of living is considerably less. My fav's;

1. Hoopfest, 26,000 players, PLAYERS last year

2. 3 hour drive from my favorite fishing spot (Rock Creek, MT)

3. Cheap golf. And good golf courses.

4. Spring, Summer and Fall here are amazing. I do agree with the comment of a 97 month winter, usually, except this year. When your first round of golf gets played on Feb. 28 in Spokane, you had a mild to non existant winter. Of course, last year we got like 61" of snow in a 24 hour period.

5. Traffic, or lack thereof.

6. Home of my ZAGS

7. Bloomsday

8. Spike and Dig

9. Coeur D Alene, one of the most beautiful cities I have ever seen.

10. Did I mention Golf?

gamagin
03-19-2010, 08:47 AM
Well life in Spokane is kinda laid back
Ain't much an old city boy like me can't hack
It's early to rise and early in the sack
Thank God I'm a Spokane boy

A simple kind of life never did me no harm
Raisin' me a family and livin' on the south hill
My days are all filled with an easy city thrill

Chorus: Well, I got me a fine wife, I get me a little
When the sun's comin' up I got cakes on the griddle
Life ain't nothin' but a funny, funny riddle

When the work's all done and the sun is settin' low
I drive to K2 & watch the Zags' Go
Or take a swim, go fishing or just join friends and lie low

I'd play or watch sports all day if I could
But the Lord and my family wouldn't take it very good
So I ski when I can and I work when I should

Chorus

Well I wouldn't trade my life for diamonds or jewels
I never was one of them money hungry fools
I'd rather have my Zags and my outdoor tools

Yeah, Fla. folks drivin' in their black limousines
A lotta sad people think that's mighty keen
Well folks, let me tell you exactly what I mean

Chorus

Well my lifestyle was my daddy's 'til the day he died
And he took me by the hand and held me close to his side
He said, "Live a good life, work & play with pride
And thank God you're a Spokane boy"

My daddy taught me young how to hunt and how to whittle
He taught me how to work and play a tune on the fiddle
He taught me how to love and how to give just a little
Thank God I'm a Spokane/Zag boy

MJ777
03-19-2010, 10:54 AM
I was working with Hospice of Spokane at the time the movie was filmed and the producers gave us $10 for each person we could get for the crowd scenes. So...I was in the crowd for the big final match, and in the crowd at the Bigfoot Tavern when Madonna sings "Crazy for You."

Nice story Angelo....Was Madonna actually at the Bigfoot? That movie was made in 83 or 84 I think around the time that Stockton was at GU.

Go Zags....Beat FSU!!

Angelo Roncalli
03-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Nice story Angelo....Was Madonna actually at the Bigfoot? That movie was made in 83 or 84 I think around the time that Stockton was at GU.

She was there.

Zagineer
03-19-2010, 11:40 AM
I have a couple of people who post on my warchant account. After clicking the link and seeing what was said, I deleted it. My apologies to anyone who was offended. I've been posting on here a week, so you can judge whether I am an impostor or not. If I was regularly posting like that on warchant, it's likely I would do the same here. I challenge you to find another thread over there where I trash the Zags. Again, my apologies to those who were offended.

Apology accepted. If I over reacted (which I probably did :o ), it was because you happen to have hit on a particularly hot button of mine.

Now,..... let's all get ready to enjoy what will hopefully be a very exciting game.

Peace. :)

MDABE80
03-19-2010, 11:54 AM
She was there.

I was there too! Ronny Cox was over for dinner. Very nice guy I met in Phoenix when I was preparing for Boards. She?...well...now there's a putz.
Small world Pope..

MickMick
03-19-2010, 12:16 PM
I live a 2.5 hour drive from Spokane.

My biggest complaint is that the roads seem to be always under construction or repair. I guess it is better than letting them go to hell.

When I make the trip, it is usually to go to the Quest casino or catch any Zag game that isn't in the Kennel (Damn tough or expensive to get into that place).

Love the weather and casual lifestyle. People are genuinely friendly.

Our plans for my daughter are for her to attend Gonzaga University barring any further economic catastrophies (The last Stock Market crash really took a toll). We will get it done regardless.

My wife tells me she wants to retire there. She didn't hear me object. I anxiously look forward to it actually. The Tri Cities is just too hot and dry for us.

I love Spokane

GrizZAG
03-19-2010, 01:18 PM
Great Question from Florida...

The problem in Spokane is the FEVER issue. You live there and this ZAG FEVER gets into your blood and it sticks. I haven't lived there for a while and proudly fly the ZAG licence frame in Portland. Amazingly there are a LOT of Zag nuts over here too. No flip offs, just thumbs up!

Best part of Spokane is it is only 3 hours from a seriously wonderful place called Missoula, Montana!! Gotta be a big time tree hugger though.

75Zag
03-19-2010, 01:32 PM
My information about Spokane is guaranteed accurate as of May 12, 1975 when I graduated from GU.

Expo 74 was nice but over. The Chinese restaurant at Boone and Division (the "Gung Ho") was convenient to campus and sold alcohol to everyone who was tall enough to see over the edge of the bar. The "El Rey" dirty movie theater on Riverside was a great place to supplement your knowledge of Anatomy and Physiology in case Marylin Stanton forgot to mention anything interesting. Clinkerdaggers in the Flour Mill had a happy hour on Friday afternoon from 2 pm onward that offered FIFTY CENT cocktails (Dollar Doubles) including some call drinks like "Pimm's Cup" which the lovely Mrs. 75 seemed to crave like a junkie craved smack. Speaking of smack, the hotel just east of the Greyhound Bus terminal was rumored to be a one-stop shopping experience for pretty much everything along that line. Spokane had a great zoo on the South Hill until one unfortunate morning during the great depression when the neighbors overheard the zoo keepers shooting the animals as the City could no longer afford to feed them.

If you need any updated information, send me a message by carrier pigeon.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!