PDA

View Full Version : Ray Looking?

HRZag
03-18-2010, 06:30 AM
Just noticed a thread on the Florida State board about Ray G. interviewing for the Hawaii job.

I don't recall any mention of that on our board. Anyone?

Scroll down on their board for the article.

http://floridastate.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=1061&fid=1080&style=2

Radbooks
03-18-2010, 06:39 AM
Andy Katz mentioned it yesterday in his blog (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/5003607/big-east-schools-likely-mccaffery):

Hawaii already interviewed Gib Arnold, the former USC assistant, and Saint Mary's Kyle Smith. Arnold and Smith have strong ties to Honolulu. UH officials were on the mainland in Los Angeles on Wednesday talking to Gonzaga assistant and former Utah and Eastern Washington head coach Ray Giacoletti, Colorado assistant and former Wyoming coach Steve McClain and Southern Miss assistant and former San Jose State coach Steve Barnes. The Warriors couldn't go wrong with any of these choices. All have a sense of the difficulties of the job at Hawaii. I still contend it is a quality job.

I assume he joined the team later in the day...

ZagMan in Philly
03-18-2010, 06:48 AM
Good luck to Ray. It would be hard to turn that job down, based on the location alone.
So we may lose 2 assistant coaches for next year....

cbbfanatic
03-18-2010, 06:58 AM
forgive my ignorance, but who is the other assistant that is moving on?

wasnt it considered common knowledge that giacoletti is pretty much biding his time at GU before he can get back into head coaching, in the right situation? that was always my assumption, and a true win win for both parties. GU would be a great place for this kind of career move.

Angelo Roncalli
03-18-2010, 06:59 AM
Coach G has also been mentioned for the job at Toledo.

ZagMan in Philly
03-18-2010, 07:30 AM
forgive my ignorance, but who is the other assistant that is moving on?

wasnt it considered common knowledge that giacoletti is pretty much biding his time at GU before he can get back into head coaching, in the right situation? that was always my assumption, and a true win win for both parties. GU would be a great place for this kind of career move.

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2010/mar/15/seminoles-d-livering/

Leon Rice is a potential candiate for the Boise State H.Coach job.

TokyoZag
03-18-2010, 07:33 AM
This makes me sad...

RayG's arrival directly correlates with GU's improved defense.

LynetteG
03-18-2010, 07:35 AM
This makes me sad...

RayG's arrival directly correlates with GU's improved defense.

+1

bartruff1
03-18-2010, 07:35 AM
I can't imagine he will go anywhere till the Oregon job is filled...

Russell Bevan
03-18-2010, 08:01 AM
Oregon will wait until Gonzaga's Mark Few finishes the season before an official push. After that, expect the Oregon program to look long and hard at coaches with Nike ties who have been at a national-championship level. That's why Minnesota's Tubby Smith will be dangled as a candidate.

theman.themyth.thelegend
03-18-2010, 08:30 AM
http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2010/mar/15/seminoles-d-livering/

Leon Rice is a potential candiate for the Boise State H.Coach job.

No one is actually saying it, yet there is chance(sounds like a good one) that we'll lose two top-assistants in the same year. Both to Head Coaching positions...:(

Leon Rice to Boise St and Coach G to Hawaii/Toledo. Talk about depressing.

I guess they're right when they say success comes with a price. Its bound to happen at some point, just have never let myself believe it.

cjm720
03-18-2010, 09:10 AM
No one is actually saying it, yet there is chance(sounds like a good one) that we'll lose two top-assistants in the same year. Both to Head Coaching positions...:(

Leon Rice to Boise St and Coach G to Hawaii/Toledo. Talk about depressing.

I guess they're right when they say success comes with a price. Its bound to happen at some point, just have never let myself believe it.

Coach Rice and G would make a huge mistake IMO leaving for those programs.

bigparb
03-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Just noticed a thread on the Florida State board about Ray G. interviewing for the Hawaii job.

I don't recall any mention of that on our board. Anyone?

Scroll down on their board for the article.

http://floridastate.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=1061&fid=1080&style=2

was also in yesterday's Spokane newspaper---Da Spokesman-Review

KennewickZag
03-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Look for Ray G to take the Hawaii job if offered. He and his wife have no children, if I'm not mistaken, making the move fairly easy and he has the desire to be a head coach. He would be a big loss.

Also, look for Rice to take the BSU job if Few doesn't take the Oregon job, which I don't think he will.

Few could start quite the coaching tree. Lets hope he has some people in mind (in addition to Tommy) to take their spots.

75Zag
03-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Wishing all GU assistants well as they compete for jobs elsewhere. I have no particular desire to see them go elsewhere, but if Few is going to stay at GU until global warming causes the rising waters of the Pacific Ocean to inundate K2 - as most of you seem to assume and desire - it only makes sense that GU assistants will strike out to take head coaching jobs elsewhere before they die of old age sitting behind Few on the GU bench.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

MDABE80
03-18-2010, 12:08 PM
Ray's a D1 coach. He'd do well at any of those jobs mentioned. Ohio is is roots....came from there. Not sure why he wouldn't be a strong candidate for the Ducks. Wherever he goes, we wish him the very best.

Seattle_Zag
03-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Wishing all GU assistants well as they compete for jobs elsewhere. I have no particular desire to see them go elsewhere, but if Few is going to stay at GU until global warming causes the rising waters of the Pacific Ocean to inundate K2 - as most of you seem to assume and desire - it only makes sense that GU assistants will strike out to take head coaching jobs elsewhere before they die of old age sitting behind Few on the GU bench.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

I sense a little animosity. Not a fan of Few?

75Zag
03-18-2010, 12:40 PM
I like Few just fine, thank you. I don't understand him, but I like him. I have the feeling based on some of his recent comments that if Bill Self were hit by lightning (God forbid) and Few was offered the Kansas job, Mark would turn it down because he is content to spend the rest of his life coaching in Spokane.

But my intent was not to be critical of Few, just to point out that I don't expect his assistants to stay at GU forever, even if Mark does.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

CDC84
03-18-2010, 01:59 PM
Last I heard the BSU job is Krystowiak's to lose........

I wouldn't be surprised to see RayG leave for Hawaii. I was not expecting him to man the sidelines at Gonzaga for a long time. His coaching resume is too impressive at the D-1 level.