PDA

View Full Version : Sportsnation Asks: Which Is A Better Basketball Coaching Job: Gonzaga or Oregon

Ekrub
03-17-2010, 10:38 PM
Poll Results:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/fp/flashPollResultsState?sportIndex=ncb&pollId=87834

cscz28
03-17-2010, 11:21 PM
This only confirms my deep hatred for the state of Vermont and all who consider it an ally [/sarcasm]

Seriously, that seems really random that Vermont would be the only state besides Oregon to think UO is a better job.

BlueVoodoo07
03-18-2010, 01:34 AM
wow you know it's bad when your own state is almost a coin flip. sorry Ducks

wazZag
03-18-2010, 09:47 AM
I'm actually pretty surprised at the results. I thought alot of people would be more dismissive of GU. Pretty impressive.

Once and Future Zag
03-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Oregon hasn't been getting very good press at all of late... admittedly mostly football related, but it still colors lots of folks perceptions.

MDABE80
03-18-2010, 09:50 AM
WHo the hell would dream this up? It's just an odd question...who would care enough to commission this? What's the point? Is this one of many or did someone focus on GU and Oregon. Seriously...

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-18-2010, 10:14 AM
This only confirms my deep hatred for the state of Vermont and all who consider it an ally [/sarcasm]

Seriously, that seems really random that Vermont would be the only state besides Oregon to think UO is a better job.

The States of Vermont and Oregon are kindred spirits on opposite coasts and I happen to love both of those states.

Name two states in the union with more hippies per capita and more pine trees per square mile. Any state whose most famous contributions to American culture are Phish and Ben & Jerry's ice cream is spiritually aligned with Eugene. Also, those are the only two states in the union whose flagship universities wear pine green and urine yellow as their school colors.

Go Catamounts. Beat the Orange.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-18-2010, 12:53 PM
First, Gonzaga. Second, Gonzaga Prep. Bringing up the rear, Oregon.

dawgfather11
03-18-2010, 01:34 PM
gonzaga is a much better job RIGHT now. Oregons potential ceiling is MUCH higher than gonzaga's though and it's not even close.

MickMick
03-18-2010, 01:37 PM
gonzaga is a much better job RIGHT now. Oregons potential ceiling is MUCH higher than gonzaga's though and it's not even close.

I can't remember the last time I have gotten personal on these boards, but I sure am tempted now.

Oh what the hell.....

You are a moron.

Edit:

Two lines of thinking

1) What Husky fans think

2) What the rest of the nation thinks (see map link)

dawgfather11
03-18-2010, 10:54 PM
a moron eh? Quite funny. Anyways you should know better, as a die hard UW fan the last thing I would ever want to admit is that anything about UO has incredible potential. I would love to see the whole UO athletic department burned to the ground... Now that you know that you might take what I say more seriously... the last thing anyone in the pac-10 wants to see if a top of the line coach at UO.

Just for a moment though take a step back and size them up, I could put them up against UW and it would be the same answers.
Arena... UO
Facilities... UO
Amenities... UO
Funding... UO
Marketing... UO
Recruiting... UO
Conference... UO
TV contract... GU

Honestly the biggest thing is probally Nike's ties to AAU recruiting. These kids are tied much tighter to a shoe brand than you see in football recruiting. It's becoming more and more common to see kids picking schools because of who is sponsering them. AAU connects have alot to do with this. Having Nike as such a huge backer makes an impression on kids. They see themselves having direct access to marketing shoe contracts etc.. once they go pro it's a huge pull. Even with them being as bad as they are now they are still able to pull in atleast a top recruit every year (Jamil Wilson, Michael Dunnigan etc...)

After all this you still can't see that the "Potential" ceiling for Oregon is higher than Gonzaga (or UW for that matter) then we will have to agree to disagree I guess. I for one will be praying that they hire another dud :)

bartruff1
03-19-2010, 04:05 AM
gonzaga is a much better job RIGHT now. Oregons potential ceiling is MUCH higher than gonzaga's though and it's not even close.....I couldn't agree more....with the right coaching staff, Oregon has everything it needs to consistenty compete for a National Championship and it appears that is what they intend to do. If you want to recruit 4 and 5 stars it would be a huge advantage to be working hand and glove with Nike. Nike is the most successful sports marketing company the world has ever known. Those are just facts. I don't understand the animosity at all. I assume your comments about Coach Few were made in jest. His record speaks for itself and we all hope he stays if that is what HE wants to do.

applezag
03-19-2010, 05:37 AM
I can't disagree with the merits of dawgfather's argument--the resources and connections that Oregon has are up there with the best, in some respects the best. I would argue that while their recruiting connections are top-notch, their recruiting results recently have not been that great (not sure if that is poor recruiting, poor evaluation, or poor coaching).

As far as it being a good coaching job, though, I think there are other considerations. First, with all of those resources come much less wiggle room for down years. I've never been an Ernie Kent fan, but if you look at his "body of work" over his tenure at Oregon, should you really expect much better? Has anyone in recent memory achieved that much there? At GU, Few can afford off years because they don't appear as off years (thank you West Coast Conference). You can still go to the tournament and maybe even eke out a win there. If you are down in the Pac-10, it shows up much more readily.

I also think Gonzaga has a bit of the Packer factor. If you lined up the Packers against many other NFL cities and franchises you might say the same thing as when you compare Gonzaga and Oregon. But Gonzaga is THE show in Spokane, and has endeared itself to the community, region, and many people around the country. Oregon just doesn't have that, and I don't think it will. It has become a football school and does not have a bunch of people who connect with it outside the alumni base.

webspinnre
03-19-2010, 07:58 AM
Apple has an nice point. UO as a program definitely has a high ceiling. However, the coaching job itself is a bit tough, for exactly some of those same reasons. You'll be expected to win, and right away, and you'll have alot more meddling than you would at GU or UW.

MickMick
03-19-2010, 08:33 AM
A program with a "high ceiling" will run into a wall until they pay the going rate for top coaches.

1.2 million a year and they are a destination job? Perhaps the single biggest reason they do not have a "high ceiling" is that they will never pay the basketball coach enough to lure in a big name or keep a prodigy from moving on. Football is king at Oregon.