PDA

View Full Version : Turiaf playing well

smen1
05-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Just missed 2 freethrows, but has 8 points and 7 rebounds in 11 minutes...does anyone know why he doesn't play that much? I have watched this series pretty closely, and this is bascially the first game he has seen heavy consistent minutes in a majority of the game, the only thing I can see is that he isn't in the best of shape. Any thoughts?

juliezag
05-02-2007, 09:40 PM
the 4 lakers games that i have been to this year, i have seen turiaf play for at least half the game. just not expirenced enough to play in the playoffs. Phil jackson figured he had nothing to lose by trying new guys out there tonight.

VinnyZag
05-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Jackson's always done that. Did it with the Bulls back in the day, too.
The question for Ronny is, what's his future there? The Lakers seem to like him, but they also like Bynum and Brown, and they're gonna be looking to bring in some proven bigs this summer (maybe Garnett or Gasol?).

soonerterp
05-03-2007, 01:51 AM
I always wish Ronny T. well but I LOATHE the LA Lakers.

I think there are going to be wholesale changes in Laker Land this summer. For now I couldn't fathom whether Turiaf stays or goes.

youreachiteach
05-03-2007, 03:15 AM
Ronny looks like a freak out there. I appreciate his work ethic, but stop jumping up and down, and play ball. Committing 4 fouls in 3mins makes himlook like a fool. He's better than that. Imo he's a 1st round pick out there, its time he plays like it.

kdaleb
05-03-2007, 06:35 AM
YRIT -- I'm kind of surprised to see a somewhat disparaging post from you. You always seem so positive and supportive.

Zagquette
05-03-2007, 06:41 AM
You reach, have you seen this guy play this year?

Yes he could cut down on the fouls, but he's pretty damn effective. This year he averaged 15 mins, 3 rebs, 4 pts, one assist and a block.

But thats not the whole story. There were times when the dude would get 5 rebs, 3 blks, and 5 pts in 10-15 mins. Pretty good for the the 3 or 4th option on the team.

If you don't believe me check out his game log:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/gamelog?playerId=2789

He plays hard and you can fault him for that. Plus his mid-range jumper is starting to click.
Not to mention the heart surgery thing.

Oh yeah, and he was drafted in the second Round.....

Peace

GoZags
05-03-2007, 07:28 AM
Yeah, I'd like to see him quit jumping up and down -- particularly on the sidelines. Infectious, unbridled enthusiasm and passion are so overrated.

It's amazing he's lasted this long.

brasszag
05-03-2007, 07:44 AM
I think the NBA ref's have it out for Ronny (or maybe just his hair) since he so very, very rarely had any fouls in college.

I guess he just was confined by the GU coaches to playing straight up, with no madman antics.

Don't you all remember how calm and collected he was? Remember calling him Ronny "Iceman" Turiaf?

thickman1
05-03-2007, 07:48 AM
Good point Brasszag. I don't think you ever saw emotion out of Ronny. It was usually the complete opposite. Of course I could just be a mean old cuss who never has anything positive to say about anything whatsoever.

sonuvazag
05-03-2007, 08:15 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing him on PHX... they are my favorite team and the Suns would love to have a energy player like him in case Shawn Marion decides to move on.

Kobe is the unofficial GM and may want to keep his best bud around, though.

To make a serious point, Ronny is a very positive player out there. Doesn't seem to complain about the calls he gets and works very hard. I hope he can take his offense up a notch, but even if he doesn't, he is the kind of player who, if healthy, will always have a team.

23dpg
05-03-2007, 08:33 AM
Ronny looks like a freak out there. I appreciate his work ethic, but stop jumping up and down, and play ball. Committing 4 fouls in 3mins makes himlook like a fool. He's better than that. Imo he's a 1st round pick out there, its time he plays like it.

Ronny looks like a freak? He looks like a fool? He's a 1st round pick?

Wrong, wrong and wrong again. What's up with you? He's a high energy guy who played well last night. He is a 2nd round pick who underwent open-heart surgery for Gawd's sake! He is on track for a very nice NBA career.

BTW. You Reach I Teach......worst name since National Perspective.

zaguarxj
05-03-2007, 08:53 AM
I remember a game when Ronny was at GU and the announcer was telling us all about Ronny's "laid-back Carribean attitude..." TV talking heads are always right, aren't they?