PDA

View Full Version : Our play vs. FSU Entitlement

BCZag
03-17-2010, 02:46 PM
We should be happy. The Zags had a very successful non-conference schedule to secure a tournament berth and successfully defended their WCC title. These things were certainly not "givens" based on the youth of the team and what was lost to graduation. I was concerned that this might be the year the Zags miss the dance so I was becoming satisfied by just being there. Reading a number of FSU posts has changed my outlook. It feels like FSU posters are a little too happy with the Gonzaga match-up. Maybe they believe that being a member of a power conference will allow them to dominate the match-up? I don't know what it is, but in the past we have always had a number of first round opponents post on this board; usually in the spirit of "It's going to be a great game and here are the relative strengths and weaknesses or our team." (ala winthrop, western kentucky, memphis etc) I have not to this point seen that from FSU posters. I guess the Zags will get an opportunity to earn some respect this week. I'm looking forward to it.

007Zag
03-17-2010, 03:06 PM
There have been a couple FSU fans on the board who have been very gracious. It doesn't seem like quite as many as from WKU and Winthrop in past years, but oh well.

I'm happy to be here to. I'll be even happier if we can win a couple games.

Democratic Nole
03-17-2010, 03:18 PM
I wouldn't say all of our fans are very confident about this game. We have opinions all over the spectrum. I am a little nervous because I am not sure which team will show up. Our team has the talent to beat anybody in the country. However, they are woefully inconsistent, partly due to their youth and poor coaching. You guys probably feel the same way. Gonzaga is a very talented basketball team.

flst8nole
03-17-2010, 05:04 PM
Many FSU fans including myself feel this is a good match up with Gonzaga. This is no disrespect to Gonzaga. Some teams simply match up better against certain teams. I was thinking FSU was going to get a first round match up against a team like Missouri who would full court press us and beat us from 3 pt land. Again, this does not mean Missouri is better then Gonzaga but Missouri is the type of team that FSU has struggled against all year. FSU has played well against other teams that have size this year. FSU's bigs basically shut down Lawal and Favors (both 1st round draft picks) from Ga Tech in the two games they played and they held Aminu (another 1st round pick) from Wake Forest to ZERO points. FSU makes it extremely difficult for teams that try to take it inside on FSU but we don't defend the 3 extremely well or handle pressure well.

I expect an ugly game (turnovers, blocked shots, shot clock violations, etc) because that's what I've come to expect this season from FSU. We are not a pretty team to watch but fortunately most teams look just as ugly as we do because of our defense. Score 70 or more and the Zags win. I expect the game to played some where in the 50's or 60's which could go either way.

Good luck Friday night. Should be a good one.

ZAGNOLE
03-17-2010, 05:51 PM
...anyone who believes Nole fans are 'cocky' about this game has been cherry picking Nole comments from message boards. Given that angst isn't part of our very being (as I've read here it is with many Zag fans) Nole fans actually have a huge amount of ...well...angst about this team.

I picked you guys (or is it "us" - I'm conflicted) in both brackets I've filled out.

I will say this though. If offense just decides to 'show up' (which is like a 1 in 12 chance) we will win (and by 'we' I mean FSU...I think).

tinfoilzag
03-17-2010, 06:18 PM
I wouldn't say all of our fans are very confident about this game. We have opinions all over the spectrum.... Gonzaga is a very talented basketball team.

I visited the warchant board expecting obnoxious FSU fans bashing the Zags about the usual stuff but turns out the are grounded and decent.

I had some good jabs involving a certain FSU rival too. Oh well, maybe I'll break them out if we lose. :D

Good luck.

caduceus
03-17-2010, 07:11 PM
I visited the warchant board expecting obnoxious FSU fans bashing the Zags about the usual stuff but turns out the are grounded and decent.

I had some good jabs involving a certain FSU rival too. Oh well, maybe I'll break them out if we lose. :D

Good luck.

Have to agree. I was pleasantly surprised by the FSU visitors here and the folks on Warchant, with a lot of discussion on matchups, etc. rather than personal attacks and flame wars that we have on occasion seen from larger schools (remember Indiana, Missouri anyone?).

The teams mentioned by the OP are all non-BCS and/or mid-major types, and yes, their visitors have nearly always been gracious. I was expecting at least some brash comments from FSU posters, similar to "some" ACC conference teams we've played, but have seen nothing but classy posts and good basketball discussion.

=caduceus=

HOOTER
03-17-2010, 07:22 PM
I've actually seen a surprising amount of FSU fans picking the Zags to win this game. Of course, I've also seen a fair amount of Zag fans picking FSU. Seems there's a bit of confliction in the minds of Gonzaga and Florida State fans. One things for sure, I haven't detected the egotistical attitude among FSU fans that you describe.