PDA

View Full Version : Coach Few said they have to speed FSU up

theman.themyth.thelegend
03-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Do you agree with this philosophy vs FSU?

Sure, they are tough in the half-court sets given their length and athleticism. However, FSU's defense is considered 'high risk' style considering they always go for the blocked shot and / or steal, yet they are notoriously undiciplined. They struggle vs teams like Wisconsin(lost in 1st round last year) b/c they executed in the half-court and worked the ball reversals and capitalized on back-door cuts. Again, athletic and long, yet not very disciplined.

FSU experts and posters believe they are susceptible to backdoor cuts, solid pick n' rolls, and ball reversals. All areas we excel in. Personally, I'm worried Few will look to Meech to push the tempo the entire game and many times we're at our worst when meech is leaving everyone behind, out of control, or nobody to rebound the ball.

A comment from FSU poster:

Few sounds like he might be outthinking himself by speeding it up or knows he doesn't have any chance in the halfcourt.

However, the way to beat FSU is to play the halfcourt, but make quick reversals and the extra pass because we tend to cheat on our help man defense. Running up and down the floor with our athletes isn't usually a good idea unless you are planning to make all of your transition jump shots. Even then they will be highly contested. It's similar to how we matched up with UNC so well last year. We can defend every position, have decent depth, and have athletes to run with anyone. Great halfcourt teams like Wisconsin, Ohio State, Duke create problems for us because they value possessions and reverse the ball.

lothar98zag
03-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Do you agree with this philosophy vs FSU?

Sure, they are tough in the half-court sets given their length and athleticism. However, FSU's defense is considered 'high risk' style considering they always go for the blocked shot and / or steal, yet they are notoriously undiciplined. They struggle vs teams like Wisconsin(lost in 1st round last year) b/c they executed in the half-court and worked the ball reversals and capitalized on back-door cuts. Again, athletic and long, yet not very disciplined.

FSU experts and posters believe they are susceptible to backdoor cuts, solid pick n' rolls, and ball reversals. All areas we excel in. Personally, I'm worried Few will look to Meech to push the tempo the entire game and many times we're at our worst when meech is leaving everyone behind, out of control, or nobody to rebound the ball.

A comment from FSU poster:
My guess is Few is looking to do both. Push tempo when possible and run good sets when required. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Therunner
03-17-2010, 12:09 PM
That is the question, isn't it?

Tough to tell until you suit up, body up, and get a feel for your opponent. If the transition game ain't workin' early on, we'll make the necessary adjustments.

I think the premise to "speed up the game" is a good one since any opponent scoring over 70 pts vs FSU is generally been more than enough to win. Having said that, FSU has unbelievable athletes at every single position. I'm not sure we can 'speed them up', but that is what I would attempt vs their NBA frontline & defense.

I will say FSU seems to struggle with teams like Wisconsin, NC State, Ohio St, and Duke. ALL teams that play a strong half-court game and value every possession. The above teams make a living off back-door cuts, ball reversal, all things mentioned in the earlier post.

SOOO, it will be interesting how we handle their in-yo-face, hard-nosed style defense, especially Matty B. My only hope is we spread them out in half-court and utilize Bouldin and Gray for penetrating and bring Elias out on the wing to get Singleton in foul trouble with his drives. I think its imperative to draw fouls vs Solomon and / or Singleton to free up Elias/Sacre/Bouldin.

IF we continue to play Elias down-low, with his back to the basket the entire game, FSU's 7-footers will make him look silly and send every shot attempt into the cheap seats. Whatever style we choose to utilize, we MUST spread FSU out and make quick, sharp passes in half court or transition. This pointing at others, half-arse cuts, not looking at the hoop, and faking penetration everytime(Meech anyone), will get us blown out. I'd like to see a similar gameplan we used vs Memphis or Illinois.

Colbyspapa
03-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Some posters are acting like Few doesn't know what he is doing!

I guarantee you he has watched so much tape of FSU over the past three days he is very clear as to the type of offense that scores on FSU. If it is a speed up half court, he'll know it. If it is to beat them in transition, he will know it.

Enjoy this guys. First team to 80 points wins!

gamagin
03-17-2010, 12:23 PM
It's been posted many times too. FSU likes to grind it out. 50 points is good for them.

keep the score down. reminds me of the Bennett style of containment.

We, otoh, need to play our game. 75+ pts. we need to score our ave. points, to win. Not play their game, if possible.

Therunner
03-17-2010, 12:27 PM
I'd say its more about our DEFENSE, than our offense, b/c I have a feeling it'll ultimately take care of itself.

From an FSU publication:

It has been especially frustrating for Alabi to score given that bulkier defensive players have simply been pushing him out of the lane.

Earth to Sacre -- that is your calling card! Go to work, big guy!

If Sacre can out-muscle(or hustle) Solomon, and Harris can contain Singleton, we win going away...

Defensive rebounding will help as well. Our bigs need to be ready and focused for the entire game b/c FSU is a team that NEVER lets up, especially on the glass.

Democratic Nole
03-17-2010, 03:38 PM
It is true that we have struggled against some half-court teams such as Wisconsin, N.C. State, Duke, and Ohio State. However, most of the struggles were from effective 3-point shooting from those teams. We lost to N.C. State twice because Scott Wood, I guy who was garbage all year, hit 13 threes in two games against us. Diebler hit at least five three for Ohio State. Scheyer and Singler hit open threes against us for Duke and Bohannon lit us up for Wisconsin.

We will pack and collapse the lane on defense, giving teams open three point shots. Those teams above often would milk the shot clock before knocking down threes and eventually that would open up the lane because we would have to stay out on three point shooters. If you can't hit threes it will be difficult sledding against our interior defense.

Hoopaholic
03-17-2010, 04:06 PM
just remember there is more than one way to "speed" up a game.....he may be referring to transition offense, he may be referring to points off turnovers, he may be talkin about trapping full court, trapping half court, he may be talking about match up zone to get the quick shots off by FSu...more than one way to "speed" up the game

mez124
03-17-2010, 04:48 PM
We've played against WSU and their stifling defense for years under bennett. Few knows how to play vs low scoring teams and will make the right choices. In Few we trust!!!1

BlueVoodoo07
03-17-2010, 05:02 PM
Yeah we play at least to grind em out games a year with San Dieago.