• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angelo Roncalli
    Bleeds Bulldog Blue
    • Feb 2007

NEW APR's

The NCAA today announced APR's for 2005-06 today.

The good news: Gonzaga is still doing very well with a 960 APR, far above the 925 level, below which penalties are imposed.

The bad news: GU dropped 20 points from last year's outstanding 980. I believe a good a portion of the drop is due to Ammo's leaving early.

Here are the men's BB APR's for the WCC (remember, below 925, a school risks incurring penalties).

GU 960
    LMU 974
    Pepp 948
    SMC 931
    SCU 958
    UP 969
    USD 974
    USF 895

USF improved from its 2005-05 880 APR, but the Dons are still far below the 925 threshold. With its historical APR deficiencies in basketball, USF looks to be a candidate receive a penalty next year if scores don't improve drastically (see the article linked below which references Indiana's men's BB program).

Last edited by Angelo Roncalli; 05-02-2007, 06:08 PM.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor
  • CDC84
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Re:

I posted this link in another thread, but it is pertinent to this topic.

Comment

• GonzagaLove
      Kennel Club
      • Feb 2007

Sorry for the ignorance, but what does APR stand for?

Thanks.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4i2TEEgMHM

Comment

• Nevtelen
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Academic Progress Rate, I think.

Did Ammo not complete his classes before he left for the NBA? For some reason I thought he left in good standing. Could it have been Diallo or was I just wrong? Anyone?

Comment

• BobZag
          Dark Lord of the Zag
          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Nevtelen View Post
          Academic Progress Rate, I think.

Did Ammo not complete his classes before he left for the NBA? For some reason I thought he left in good standing. Could it have been Diallo or was I just wrong? Anyone?
          Ammo did not. I could be wrong but I doubt I am.
          The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

Originally posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
            The NCAA today announced APR's for 2005-06 today.

The good news: Gonzaga is still doing very well with a 960 APR, far above the 925 level, below which penalties are imposed.

The bad news: GU dropped 20 points from last year's outstanding 980. I believe a good a portion of the drop is due to Ammo's leaving early.

Here are the men's BB APR's for the WCC (remember, below 925, a school risks incurring penalties).

GU 960
            LMU 974
            Pepp 948
            SMC 931
            SCU 958
            UP 969
            USD 974
            USF 895

USF improved from its 2005-05 880 APR, but the Dons are still far below the 925 threshold. With its historical APR deficiencies in basketball, USF seems likely to have a received a warning from the NCAA, and looks to receive a penalty next year if scores don't improve drastically (see the article linked below which references Indiana's men's BB program).

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...046/-1/LOCAL17
            It's got to be the refs' fault!

Comment

• ZagManFan
              Professional Zag Fan
              • Feb 2007

So will PMAC, Mast and Burgess have an effect on this as well?

Comment

• Pallet
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

The only way PMAC, Mast or Burgess would affect the APR is if they don't complete their classes this semester. If they leave in good academic standing, then they don't hurt the APR. Since PMAC is getting his degree, I don't think he'll be hurting our score.

Comment

• CDC84
                  Super Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Re:

I think Mast is out of the equation due to him being a walk on. I think the APR only measures athletes that are on athletic scholarship. I could be wrong about this, but I am pretty sure Mast doesn't count.

As Pallet says, the key with the APR is making sure that the kids complete the semester they're in. If they jump ship mid-semester, that's when you feel the APR pain.

Comment

• kdaleb
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Mast is out of the equation. Per the NCAA's History of Academic Reform page:

"One point is awarded each term to each scholarship student-athlete who meets academic-eligibility standards and an additional point is awarded if they remain with the institution."

Comment

• gamagin
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

being in the middle of

the WCC pack, here, seems fairly good. Like getting a C, which is a passing grade, it seems. There will always be room for improvement and we should always be on guard.

especially without the actual breakdown --which athletes & moves caused us to go up or down -- the reasons for the 20pt drop are unknown at this time. it may be explainable. It may be something that needs to be corrected.

However, given the attitude of SDU and its claims of superiority in all things academic, I think a 14 point spread looks even better. I assumed SDU was way above some standard to which we all should/could aspire.

It turns out, for the most part, and probably in the future as well, we are not doing too badly in an area where everyone can get better.
                      Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                      Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                      Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• ZagSlug
                        Bleeds GU Blue
                        • Feb 2007

If the APR included walk-ons, could you imagine the competitive recruiting to get smart guys to fill out your bench and inflate your APR?

Are there concessions for teams that are making progress or are teams below 925 out of luck?
                        sigpic
                        I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• DrDrivel
                          Kennel Club Material
                          • Feb 2007

You don't even need smart guys, per se. You just need guys who can pass their classes in good standing and who are committed to sticking around.

The APR should NOT be used as an indicator of high or low academic standards. It's an measure of the academic health of a program and the commitment to fulfilling basic requirements of student-athletes.

Comment

• Angelo Roncalli
                            Bleeds Bulldog Blue
                            • Feb 2007

The APR should NOT be used as an indicator of high or low academic standards. It's an measure of the academic health of a program and the commitment to fulfilling basic requirements of student-athletes.
                            Doc knocks it out of the park.
                            Last edited by lothar98zag; 05-04-2007, 11:46 AM.
                            You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• ZagSlug
                              Bleeds GU Blue
                              • Feb 2007

What I meant to imply was that if walk-ons were included some programs would grab guys who were more students than athletes to counter those who might leave early and not in good standing.
                              sigpic
                              I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

Working...
                              X