PDA

View Full Version : FSU struggles with...

FlyZag
03-17-2010, 08:12 AM
In analyzing the numbers I can see that with FSU's 9 losses, they came against teams that also were fairly decent defensively.

They have losses to:

NC State (2 losses)
adj. def. efficiency 92.1 [44]
effective def. fg% 46.2 [61]

Clemson (2 losses)
adj def. efficiency 87.7 [10]
effective def fg% 46.1 [56]

Maryland (2 losses)
adj def. efficiency 91.8 [38]
effective def fg% 44.3 [20]

Duke
adj def. efficiency 86.0 [5]
effective def fg% 43.8 [11]

Ohio St.
adj def. efficiency 89.8 [23]
effective def fg% 47.2 [102]

Florida (rivalry game)
adj def. efficiency 94.9 [69]
effective def fg% 48.1 [140]

Gonzaga has the following defensive numbers:
adj def. efficiency 94.4 [66]
effective def fg% 46.4 [69]

Thus my conclusion that the key to winning this game is GU's defense vs. FSU's offense. Now with full disclosure, FSU did have wins over Wake, G. Tech, and V. Tech that are solid defensive teams. However all of those wins came at home and were very close games.

I believe however that we win this game on a truly neutral floor because of OUR defense and our ability to get to the line on offense.

Thoughts....

LongIslandZagFan
03-17-2010, 09:02 AM
Maryland (2 losses)
adj def. efficiency 91.8 [38]
effective def fg% 44.3 [20]

Gonzaga has the following defensive numbers:
adj def. efficiency 94.4 [66]
effective def fg% 46.4 [69]

Very similar numbers... makes me feel a bit better about this game. Not that I feel remotely comfortable about the Zags winning this game.

NYCZAG
03-17-2010, 09:08 AM
Numbers don't mean anything in the tourney-Who wants it more-Bottom Line-If the ZAGS show up and bring the MAUI intensity and play there A game they can beat anyone on any given day just depends on is that team shows up-That's a BIG IF-

75Zag
03-17-2010, 09:48 AM
I agree that we at the point where regular season statistics do not control the outcome. It is encouraging to see that FS lost to some teams that I think GU could consistently beat. But the winner of the GU - FSU game will depend on which team comes closest to performing at its maximum potential. If GU plays at 95% of its maximum potential, GU wins going away. If GU plays at 75% of its maximum potential, it will be a long lonely ride home to Spokane on Saturday.

I have faith - perhaps only a little bit - but at least I have it.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

FieldHouseFishHouse
03-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Numbers don't mean anything in the tourney-Who wants it more-Bottom Line-If the ZAGS show up and bring the MAUI intensity and play there A game they can beat anyone on any given day just depends on is that team shows up-That's a BIG IF-

I think numbers might mean something. That's how they seed the teams, and determine at-large bids. I get your point, but all most parameters being equal (even if GU brings the A game and "wants it more") there are a few teams they will lose to 9 out of 10 times.
Here's hoping that our opponents stumble, because that is how deep tourney runs are made.

Democratic Nole
03-17-2010, 03:13 PM
First, we had two victories against GT, one of those was in Atlanta. Second, our guys can score, it's just they lack consistency. Every player in our regular 8 man rotation has had more than one game with double digits in scoring. Our PG Kitchen had 29 in that 4 pt loss to Maryland and most of our fans feel like that game was stolen from us. We held Maryland to 3 total FG for the last 12 minutes of the game, yet they got 18 foul shots during that time to keep them in the game and our game tying basket was taken away with 14 seconds to go on a bogus charge call. The fans were so unhappy with the officials that they threw things at them as they left the floor, including one that get nailed with a battery. That is something I have never witnessed in all of my time watching Seminole basketball.

Both of these teams are talented. Just like you guys don't like the stereotype that Gonzaga is made up of a bunch of nonathletic players, our guys aren't as offensively challenged as they are made out to be. It's all about who shows up Friday. Should be a good game.