PDA

View Full Version : Terps fan headed to Spokane

smalls
03-17-2010, 07:39 AM
Great board you guys have here (in addition to a great program).

I'm a long time Terps fan living in Montana and will have the pleasure of heading over to Spokane this Sunday for some hoops. I haven't got my tickets yet and am thinking about waiting to scalp them right before the game. It's always tough to tell the quality of the seats just looking at event maps so I thought I'd ask the locals if there are any sections of the Spokane Arena I should avoid? Have seats for the round 2 games been a fairly easy score the day of the game?

Also, my plan is to get a room at the Oxford or one of the Red Lions after some of the opening round defeatists leave town Saturday morning. What do you guys recommend for authentic Spokane eateries and pubs in the river park area?

Thanks much!

I hope you guys destroy FSU!

smalls

007Zag
03-17-2010, 08:13 AM
Great board you guys have here (in addition to a great program).

I'm a long time Terps fan living in Montana and will have the pleasure of heading over to Spokane this Sunday for some hoops. I haven't got my tickets yet and am thinking about waiting to scalp them right before the game. It's always tough to tell the quality of the seats just looking at event maps so I thought I'd ask the locals if there are any sections of the Spokane Arena I should avoid? Have seats for the round 2 games been a fairly easy score the day of the game?

Also, my plan is to get a room at the Oxford or one of the Red Lions after some of the opening round defeatists leave town Saturday morning. What do you guys recommend for authentic Spokane eateries and pubs in the river park area?

Thanks much!

I hope you guys destroy FSU!

smalls

Smalls,

Welcome to the board. Can't really help you on the ticket front, but for pubs you'll want to check out the Viking and O'Doherty's. They're both within walking distance (Viking is one block, O'Doherty's about 10 minutes walk). Enjoy your time here in Spokane!

cbbfanatic
03-17-2010, 08:37 AM
Not sure what authentic spokane food would entail, but a few restauraunts I always liked are Europa, The Onion (haven't been in years though, maybe a decade) and Shenanigans. Spencer's steakhouse is also solid, as is Rocky Rococo (pizza place)

schwagzag
03-17-2010, 08:40 AM
Authentic Spokane food?

Dick's on 3rd & Division :)

LongIslandZagFan
03-17-2010, 08:46 AM
Authentic Spokane food?

Dick's on 3rd & Division :)

+1

also +1 on The Onion.

Might I also recommend, if you have time, to get yourself to Hudson's out in Coeur d'Alene... might be the best burger you will ever eat.

gamagin
03-17-2010, 08:54 AM
I'd go eat at the hotels where the teams, or fans, are staying. Red Lion has a couple of teams and I think the Davenport has one or two, also. Don't know where, but the terps alums likely are meeting and that would be your sweet spot.

Besides dining among fellow fans, you might get to watch the players themselves coming and going. Your motel is close, like 100 yards or less, to the Red Lion, and 4-5 blocks from the Davenport.

The Davenport food (lunches, etc) are about the same cost as the pubs around town ($10-$15), and three times as good, imo.

Dick's is best if your constipated or sleeping alone, or trying to kill/continue a serious buzz.

O'D's is fun for a beer, but so is the Blue Spark, the Ale House (across from the Davenport) and several spots around downtown and around the arena, like The Viking, the Old Flour Mill etc.

jbslicer
03-17-2010, 08:57 AM
Not food but first time visitors should check out the Hall of Fame exhibit in the west end of the Arena. The Spokane area has produced a lot of sports legends.

bartruff1
03-17-2010, 09:06 AM
Email Omar, he has been coming here for years and has the Spokane Scene pretty well figured out...:)

smalls
03-17-2010, 09:11 AM
Thanks guys. Sounds like The Onion, Dicks and the Davenport will take care of my dining needs.

Any section in the stadium I should try and avoid? Every seat is a good seat?

Team Oosik
03-17-2010, 09:18 AM
Anthony's anyone? Too hoity-toyty?

I guess its not authentic Spokanee eatery though...

lothar98zag
03-17-2010, 09:19 AM
ticket forum here - http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25

You might be able to find some on craigslist for big discounts since a lot of people probably bought tickets hoping GU would be in town. I'm guessing it's a pretty good buyers market. I'm not sure how this would affect scalping prices right before the game.

Also if you find your team's hotel, you may be able to find some extra tickets there on Sat.

Jedster
03-17-2010, 09:22 AM
I will be at the Post St. Alehouse on Thursday with my Husky in-laws to watch that game. Heard it's pretty good, never been there. I'll spend the whole time bemoaning the fact that GU isn't playing Thur/Sat since I have tickets to the Fri/Sun games (and also rooting for Marquette I might add).

jbslicer
03-17-2010, 09:22 AM
The seats on the sides (baseline-to-baseline) are obviously the best. The seats in the horseshoe end are a long ways from the court.

Birddog
03-17-2010, 09:24 AM
Hotel assignments are based on the seed. Higher seed gets better/closer hotel.
For sure at some point have a few cocktails @ the Davenport. Drink beer elsewhere.

a13coach
03-17-2010, 10:12 AM
Anthony's anyone? Too hoity-toyty?

I guess its not authentic Spokanee eatery though...

Why would anyone recommend an over priced fish house? You can get better seafood elsewhere which is saying a lot since decent seafood in Spokane is hard to come by.

gamagin
03-17-2010, 10:28 AM
I will be at the Post St. Alehouse on Thursday with my Husky in-laws to watch that game. Heard it's pretty good, never been there. I'll spend the whole time bemoaning the fact that GU isn't playing Thur/Sat since I have tickets to the Fri/Sun games (and also rooting for Marquette I might add).

I loved the fish & (almost shoestring french fried) chips. btw, it's owned by Walt Worthy, owner of the Davenport. He purchased the Lusso botique hotel last year and remodeled this corner restaurant, revised the menu, changed the name to the alehouse and opened it up. the main restaurant space is small, but I understand there is a back room and other space in the complex (that I didn't see), so make sure there are tv's aplenty for your needs.

If not, you might try hero's & legends katty corner from the U.S. post office, (around the same block), which has flat screens wall to wall. Haven't eaten the food lately but I enjoyed the usual pub grup fare, plus there's a popular attached, mexican restaurant that will feed you, without your having to give up your seat.

JohnOGU
03-17-2010, 11:40 AM
The arena is not huge, so I think any seat should be decent... For food, I'd also maybe try Heroes and Legends. Its a sports bar on the corner of Lincoln and Riverside if my memory serves me right.

zagzealot
03-17-2010, 11:47 AM
The Red Lion BBQ & Pub for killer bbq and beer bread

FieldHouseFishHouse
03-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Why would anyone recommend an over priced fish house? You can get better seafood elsewhere which is saying a lot since decent seafood in Spokane is hard to come by.

Milford's. Seriously, I'm surprised at this board. Maybe they have gone down hill since I left town, but this is one of the best meals you can get in Spokane. And basketball enthusiasts abound at this place. Right across from the courthouse on Monroe.

Colbyspapa
03-17-2010, 11:59 AM
Jack and Dan's
David's Pizza
O'Doherty's
Dominis (sandwich shop, I'm sure I spelled it wrong)

Is the Viking still around? 250 beers on tap withing walking distance to the Arena when I was in school.

Fonebone
03-17-2010, 12:09 PM
A block South of the Arena is Riverfront Park. Be sure to check that out as there are spectacular water falls and rapids in serveral locations. It is very safe in the day and pretty safe at night.

Directy accross the street South of the Arena there is a parking lot, and a condo building. If you walk slighltly to the right (West) of the lot and building, there are two great options. If you take a right at the corner of the building and walk 1/4 block West on the steet, there is a tremendous view point and little park area where you can see the main falls. It is great at night and in the day.

If instead of going right on the street you kind of veer left, there is a set of two footbridges that take you right over the river and the rapids. you definantely must see that. If you cross the river and just keep going south - more or less straight but kind of veer a bit to the right - West - in one more block you hit the major Mall, very nice - Riverpark Square. Good restraunts, 20 screen movie theatres, upscale stores. And on the other side of the mall you are in the heart of downtown. Directly out the front door is a PF Changs restraunt - great if you like Asian. Also a Red Robin right there. It is a great walk to go out the arena, through the park over the river, and right into the heart of downtown. The Davenport is 2 blocks due South of there.

johno
03-17-2010, 12:23 PM
The Viking has great beer (biggest selection in Spokane) and sandwiches, plus free popcorn. It's also right across the street from the arena. If you're lucky you can get free parking on the street next to it.

jbslicer
03-17-2010, 01:18 PM
You're never to old to ride the Looff Carrousel in Riverfront Park. Sit on the outside row so you can try to grab the rings.

rawkmandale
03-17-2010, 01:22 PM
For great contemporary music, microbrews on tap, and great coffee or tea - go to the new Empyrean in the old Big Dipper building, Second and Washington - they also have kick ass pizza (try the wheat crust, pesto and home made marinara sauce) and grilled cheese sandwiches with premier cheeses. Great art hanging on the walls, smart young people hanging out for poetry readings and open mic on Mondays. Touring and local bands most nights.

Hey, I saw about 8 members of the Maryland pep band crossing the Post Street Bridge just before noon today - looking touristy, checking out the river.

Hope they find O'Doherty's for St. Paddy's Day.

Jedster
03-17-2010, 02:02 PM
I loved the fish & (almost shoestring french fried) chips. btw, it's owned by Walt Worthy, owner of the Davenport. He purchased the Lusso botique hotel last year and remodeled this corner restaurant, revised the menu, changed the name to the alehouse and opened it up. the main restaurant space is small, but I understand there is a back room and other space in the complex (that I didn't see), so make sure there are tv's aplenty for your needs.

If not, you might try hero's & legends katty corner from the U.S. post office, (around the same block), which has flat screens wall to wall. Haven't eaten the food lately but I enjoyed the usual pub grup fare, plus there's a popular attached, mexican restaurant that will feed you, without your having to give up your seat.

Thanks! Will try there and the Viking!

MedZag
03-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Jack and Dan's
David's Pizza

Seconded. Catch the games during the runs you don't have tickets to at J&D's. You can't venture to Spokane without visiting "the" Gonzaga bar. And David's is right across the street for excellent pizza, though the food in Jack & Dan's is pretty darn good itself.

Zagdawg
03-17-2010, 02:15 PM
I'll second Milfords -- good food---good call.

smalls
03-17-2010, 02:26 PM
Sweet sweet.

J&D's is "the" Gonzaga bar, huh. I'll have to check that out. And I like beer... a lot. Any quality local brews? I am a fan of about anything other than pale ales, been on a stout/doppelbock kick as of late. You recommend it, I will try it.

I've stayed on the riverfront before and love the area. I'm hoping that there's a bunch going on and looking forward to a great atmosphere.

Fear the Turtle!

rawkmandale
03-17-2010, 02:42 PM
Northern Lights Brewery - everything they make is good!

Robzagnut
03-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Ho Ho Teriyaki - in the basement of the Flour Mill is great and it's right across the street from the Arena. Try their Ho Ho Special and you'll go back a second time. Also, their tempura appetizer is yummy. My mom is Japanese, so I know good tempura.

Dicks - Just say, "Two numbers 1's, a large fry and three tartar sauces." and you'll be fine. If you say, "Whammy", you'll feel it in the pit of your stomach for a while."

Rock City Grill - Thai pizza. Nuff said.

Milfords, Spencers and Klinks - if you want fine dining.

LynetteG
03-17-2010, 05:37 PM
Sweet sweet.

J&D's is "the" Gonzaga bar, huh.

John Stockton's dad is the J (Jack) in Jack and Dan's, although he doesn't own it anymore. It's right across the street from GU.

Lewey
03-17-2010, 08:10 PM
Just so you know, going to Dicks is definitely Spokane local fare. Not too many burger joints around without inside dining. You order outside, there are heaters above to take the chill off in the winter. Picnic benches, OK for the summer, but car fare in the winter. I think they tried to make a chain of it, but the concept just didn't work anywhere else. I'm partial to the Whammy myself.

roxdoc
03-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Endzone seats not so good at the arena - oddly enough particularly those close to the floor. They are at a very low angle and you have to stretch to see over people ahead. I got burned once (GU vs Georgia?) and learned my lesson. I knew I was in trouble when the fairly short wife of an older couple ahead of me said to her husband "tell me if something happens". Place built for hocky and is too long. Side seats are just fine.

Jedster
03-18-2010, 07:24 AM
Northern Lights Brewery - everything they make is good!

And while you're there stop by next door to sample a bit of Dry Fly, our own local distillery. They make gin, vodka and a good whiskey. You can sample at least the gin and the vodka, not sure of the whiskey.

smalls
03-22-2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the help guys. The game was a heartbreaker but Spokane was fun as usual.

Ate at The Onion (very good) and had beers at a variety of bars around that area including O' Daugherty's which was very fun. Somehow ended up at the 211 at some point... I guess I know where to go next time I'm looking for a gal that I wouldn't be proud to take home to mama! Interesting crowd to say the least. Heck, I used name my own price on priceline and even got a room at the doubletree for $50!

We ended up with great center court seats 11 rows behind the scorers table. It was interesting how subdued the crowd was in the first half of the Purdue/A&M game. I think it was the result emotional hangover from the previous game and the fact there were many cranky GU fans (rightfully so) arriving after the 'cuse game.

Again, everyone was friendly and it's quite apparent that Spokane is a GREAT basketball town. Cheers!

rawkmandale
03-22-2010, 11:04 AM
I heard announcers talk during one of the Friday games about what a great location Spokane is for these first round games, so hope the NCAA will continue to utilize the Arena in future years.

It's too bad the big volleyball event was going on the same weekend, as it sounds like many folks had trouble arranging a room (though this Maryland fan scored nicely at the Doubletree). Our Visitor and Convention Bureau should try to get that volleyball event moved off of the possible NCAA dates.

Jedster
03-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Hey Smalls! Glad you had a good time in Spokane. We met up with a few Terps fans (and family members of one of the Terp players) at the Post Street Alehouse (thanks for the tip Gamagin!) and had a great time with them! We even met up on Saturday to watch some of the Husky game with them.

Tough loss for the Terps. We were pulling for you! Post St. was a great location to watch the games. Tons of big flat screens on the wall. Beer prices for Happy hour were great as all beers (20+ on tap) were $2 from 3:00-4:00 and $3 from 4:00-5:00. Had a fair number of the Mudslinger for $2!

Rawkmandale-there was an article in the Friday S-R about the NCAA and the arena. They said the NCAA has gently suggested they increase the seating capacity at the arena as it barely meets minimum (and is 500 short when they put in all the tables and extras for band, etc). Spokane didn't get selected for the next few years and will bid for 2014 it sounds like. Problem is they can add another 2000 seats in the one end, but it will take six months, so not sure when to close the arena. Hope they get another tourney as we had a blast (and it was cheap to stay with family!).

Safe travels home Smalls!